• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

skyfinch

The whole license transfer thing is a pain in the ass. I went to xbox.com, did what they told me to do and transferred things over to my new xbox, but all of my arcade games are still the trial version. And now on their site, it says I can't preform another transfer until july 17th. What the hell is this shit? I paid for the god damn things.

surly

Banned
Gav said:
Quick question for when i go get mine when its out here.
If im transferring my data over via usb storage, am I gonna need something big or will 2GB suffice? Itd just be my profiles and game saves i transfer. All my games and DLC would be downloaded again on the new console.

Im not sure how big the save files are, and i'll be trading in one XBox for the other, so wont have both consoles at once. (ie data to mem stick > wipe HDD > new XB > transfer data).
2 GB is plenty. I have an 8 GB stick that I use just for saves and gamertags. Here's how it breaks down: -

218 game saves = 421 MB
2 gamertags = 21 MB

So unless you have a HUGE number of game saves and a ton of gamertags, you'll be fine. BTW, that 218 game saves is actually saves for 218 games, not 218 separate files, as some games have multiple saves. That 421 MB covers all of that, so I'd say 2 GB should cover your needs easily.

see5harp

skyfinch said:
The whole license transfer thing is a pain in the ass. I went to xbox.com, did what they told me to do and transferred things over to my new xbox, but all of my arcade games are still the trial version. And now on their site, it says I can't preform another transfer until july 17th. What the hell is this shit? I paid for the god damn things.

Try redownloading them and the license should transfer. Either that, or log off, then back on. The same thing happened to me and everything ended up working perfectly.

JesseZao

skyfinch said:

Did you use a transfer cable to move everything to your new xbox? Did you redownload (usually just needs new license so it doesn't take long) every arcade game to your new xbox? Easiest way to do that is by adding them to the download queue from your purchase history on xbox.com while your xbox is connected to Live.

skyfinch

ArchAngel said:
You have to download all the things again. The new downloaded versions use the new xbox ID.

I downloaded everything again, but still, they're only trial versions when I go and play them.

skyfinch said:
I downloaded everything again, but still, they're only trial versions when I go and play them.

You can only transfer your licenses once per year no matter what. It bites! I have to wait until August 30th to transfer mine. :(

skyfinch

That really sucks. I was going to do some hardcore gaming this canada day weekend. There were a bunch of arcade games I never got the chance to finish.

Engadget put up their review of the new model. At 135W consumption, I'm surprised to see how much power this thing pulls despite the new silicon. I guess external PSUs really are a lot more inefficient than internal.

see5harp

skyfinch said:

You really need to call them. Something didn't work right if you followed instructions. You used the tool, logged out of your account and then logged back using your new 360 correct? Now when you go the license transfer all of your licenses should be listed under a single console. Can you verify this?

Valkyr Junkie said:
Engadget put up their review of the new model. At 135W consumption, I'm surprised to see how much power this thing pulls despite the new silicon. I guess external PSUs really are a lot more inefficient than internal.
What? Anandatec had it maxing out at 90W no matter the game. Not even the Falcon hits 135...

Oh, they are just going by back of the box shit. That's probably including whatever it needs to power Kinect.

surly

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
135 Watts is the rating of the PSU. Idling at the dashboard it uses about 70 Watts and while gaming it's just under 90. That's less than a PS3 Slim and much less than the original version of the 360. The 135 Watts also covers Kinect as it has a special port for that which also powers it.

Son of Godzilla said:
What? Anandatec had it maxing out at 90W no matter the game. Not even the Falcon hits 135...

Oh, they are just going by back of the box shit. That's probably including whatever it needs to power Kinect.

Whups, you're right, I didn't see they had an area where they did actual consumption (62-94W) so I just saw the max rating of the PSU and thought that was actual usage.

Liberty4all

Banned
I bought one of these bad boys a few days ago. Upgraded from my fifth refurbished 20 gig launch unit.

So far I'm loving it. My old 360 sounded like a jet engine and I'm positive was lightly scratching my discs. The new one is about as quiet as my PS3 ... actually to be honest I think the new 360 IS basically a PS3 phat, minus the blu ray of course.

One thing though ... the internal wireless in my opinion is NOT as strong as the old attachment on my old 360. I was getting two bars on my old 360 now I'm getting 1 - 2 bars on the new one.

Aside from that I'm in love.

Liberty4all

Banned
SonOfABeep said:
has anyone seen any difference in signal strength between the standalone N and the built in slim adapter? Can I rely on it for getting the best latency for street fighter matches? I never have enjoyed wireless for games, but my living situation makes it pretty unlikely I can get a wired connection now.

I had the original wireless adapter (not the N one). It worked great I usually got 2 bars. My router is in the garage downstairs (one flight of stairs). The new 360 slim's wireless is rotating between 1 and 2 bars.

I'm fairly certain it's not picking up the signal as well and I have one of those linksys routers with booster (yes it's an N router I think ... I'll have to check to see if it's dual band or not when I get home)

Baron

I bought a new 360 S myself yesterday. I actually first bought one of the $149 arcade systems from TRU, where they were giving away a $25 gift card with the purchase, effectively making a new Xbox 360 arcade $125, which was a great deal. But after using the arcade for a few days I felt like the unit was severely gimped without a hard drive, in spite of the 16 GB flash drive I was using with it. So I decided I needed to buy a hard disk. $130 for the current 250 gig hd model. So, I was effectively spending $250+ dollars now. Better to just get the newest model system, I figured, because who knows how long the old hard disks will even be available.

One issue I've had, though - Jet Set Radio Future will not play at all. Can anyone else with JSRF and a new slim system try theirs and see if my problem is unique? I have the original print with only JSRF on it, no Sega GT, and the disc is in brand new condition essentially, so it's not the disc. I was able to play several other Xbox 1 games via BC so I can play others. Why won't JSRF work?

Hey You

I want this alot, but I won't be able to motivate myself to get one until my current 360 breaks down(And of Course it will, it's a xbox).

And EB Games isn't doing that trade in thing anymore I think.

skyfinch said:
That really sucks. I was going to do some hardcore gaming this canada day weekend. There were a bunch of arcade games I never got the chance to finish.
Certan that you did the transfer correctly? you might have made a mistake and done it the wrong way around or something.

If you still have your old xbox see if you can redownload a game so its freshly installed and play it offline.

skyfinch

Diablohead said:
Certan that you did the transfer correctly? you might have made a mistake and done it the wrong way around or something.

If you still have your old xbox see if you can redownload a game so its freshly installed and play it offline.

No, I traded it in for this new Xbox. I'm pretty certain I did the transfer correctly.

I e-mailed their tech support, so hopefully they'll fix this problem.

skyfinch said:
No, I traded it in for this new Xbox. I'm pretty certain I did the transfer correctly.

I e-mailed their tech support, so hopefully they'll fix this problem.
Didn't someone on this thread get their data transferred for free via phone call because they had a new 360s? hope they do it for you.

Pooya

colorware-xbox-360-red.jpg

colorware-xbox-360-blue.jpg

for ONLY 175$
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/02/colorware-jazzes-up-your-new-xbox-360/
http://colorwarepc.com/press/xbox360s.html
http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-235-xbox-360-s.aspx
No need for a fanciful new HDTV? Not even a new Segway? There's some colorful home entertainment gear for you yet. The famed gadget painting company just announced that Microsoft's shiny new Xbox 360 is the next to go under the gun, with near limitless color options waiting to be splashed onto each and every panel. If you managed to already pick one up, Colorware's charging $175 for the send-in option; if you're looking to buy new, that'll cost you at least five Benjamins. But hey, that's nothing for the satisfaction of owning a game console that's part orange, part lime green and part purple, right?

The transfer cable doesn't transfer the licenses. You have to do the Xbox.com DRM license migration thing. If you've already used your once-a-year migration, you have to call them and tell them to do it.

I haven't had to call them since September 2008. I don't know if the process has been improved, but when I went through that process at that time, I spent 45 minutes on the phone and talked to 3 different people. It took 15 business days for the licenses to change over, despite them telling me 7-10 business days.

surly

Banned
There's a rumour going around that Sainsbury's will be selling these for £139.99 on launch day. Any UKers should keep their eyes on the newspapers, TV ads and forums for confirmation. It sounds a bit too good to be true IMO, as that's £60 off the RRP, but you never know. A lot of people didn't believe that Sainsbury's were going to sell Modern Warfare 2 for £26, but that turned out to be true.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
surly said:
There's a rumour going around that Sainsbury's will be selling these for £139.99 on launch day. Any UKers should keep their eyes on the newspapers, TV ads and forums for confirmation. It sounds a bit too good to be true IMO, as that's £60 off the RRP, but you never know. A lot of people didn't believe that Sainsbury's were going to sell Modern Warfare 2 for £26, but that turned out to be true.
Even if they do sell them at £140, they will have about 2 per store.

I have a launch J 20gb system still. I'm waiting for that lower priced version that was announced to come out. I have no need for the whole 250GB as I only play 1-2 games at a time and I'm anal about clearing unused stuff off my HDD.

surly

Banned
cjelly said:
If they do sell them at that price, I think they'll have a reasonable amount of stock. When I bought MW2 from there, I went down there at 6:30 AM in the morning (my local one opens at 7) and there was a queue of people across the car park. If loads of people turn up and they only have 2 or 3 per store, then that would piss people off so much that it's not even worth doing.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Do we have a date for the new Arcade model?
Do we even have the specifics on what the "lower" models are going to cut (HDD capacity/no HDD at all...)?

Also: the red and white looks damn sexy, waaaaaay better than the "vanilla" Slim.
Too bad what we'll probably get next will be a vomit inducing greeneyesore to "celebrate" a new Halo spin-off or something...

cjelly said:

I'm not sure they can do that, for what I know you need to specify the number of items you're going to sell under promotion in the ads or at least guarantee a certain % of the whole stock. Or at least it should be this way, iirc.

Guy Legend

Dash Kappei said:
Do we have a date for the new Arcade model?
Do we even have the specifics on what the "lower" models are going to cut (HDD capacity/no HDD at all...)?

Nothing yet. I'm hoping they keep wi-fi standard now and at least a small hard drive.

Circle T

Obviously not 360-S related, but since the new Colorware version is being discussed, I thought I'd show my PS3 that I got from them a couple years ago, in case people want to see what their work looks like for real. They really do excellent work, though yes, it is a bit expensive, though it was only about $100 when I did it. I would NOT have done this for $175.

I was planning to buy a PS3, and right around that time I got a raise and my yearly bonus at work, so I decided to spend a little extra and get something special. Not sure why I chose orange (I'm not Dutch :D), guess it just caught my eye. As seen in those PR pics from Colorware, you can get pretty much every single piece a different color if you want. I just stuck with "Crush Orange" for mine.

Anyway, if anyone was wondering what a real console from Colorware looks like, here you go...

34sgqcx.jpg

2jew6qc.jpg

so31mu.jpg

2r5u4vb.jpg

Circle T said:
Obviously not 360-S related, but since the new Colorware version is being discussed, I thought I'd show my PS3 that I got from them a couple years ago, in case people want to see what their work looks like for real. They really do excellent work, though yes, it is a bit expensive, though it was only about $100 when I did it. I would NOT have done this for $175.

I was planning to buy a PS3, and right around that time I got a raise and my yearly bonus at work, so I decided to spend a little extra and get something special. Not sure why I chose orange (I'm not Dutch :D), guess it just caught my eye. As seen in those PR pics from Colorware, you can get pretty much every single piece a different color if you want. I just stuck with "Crush Orange" for mine.

Anyway, if anyone was wondering what a real console from Colorware looks like, here you go...
No offense, but it makes me want to eat orange M&Ms. o_O;

Alucrid

Banned
Orange PS3 looks slick, xbox 360 S recolors aren't bad either. But for $175 I can buy sooo many things more useful than a paint job.

Circle T said:

http://i46.tinypic.com/34sgqcx.jpg[img]

[img]http://i47.tinypic.com/2jew6qc.jpg[img]

[img]http://i47.tinypic.com/so31mu.jpg[img]

[img]http://i48.tinypic.com/2r5u4vb.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
Nice fruity colour :P but how is the actual plastic quality? does the pad have a completely different material feel in your hands now? like with some unofficial pads the plastic feels thin, light and when you tap no it sounds rather cheap and might crack when dropped.

Very cool and much better then a console "skin"

Had a lot of laundry to put away yesterday, watched the first 3 episodes of Arrested Development (again) while I kinda did it, kinda hung around.

I forgot what it's like to actually be able to use your 360 as a DVD player instead of deliberately minimizing the amount you use it for fear of disc drive errors or red ringing (not to mention having to turn the volume up since my 360 sounded like a window AC on full blast).

I used my slim to watch a dvd yesterday without fear, and it was quiet as fuck! I didn't have to switch the hdmi cable to the Ps3!

I didn't have to!

;_;

Circle T

cjelly said:
Wouldn't look too bad if the PS3 writing and bezel were black.

The silver just makes it look a little shitty.
The silver trim piece was a piece that I could have had done in a different color, but the text was not. I actually asked about that before placing my order, but since the text couldn't be changed, I left the front trim piece stock silver. Same with the text on the controller. I asked if they could paint that text black, to better match the buttons and analog sticks, but they said they couldn't. They will paint that text black, but only with certain colors. For darker colors, the text is white, and for lighter colors, the text is black. To them, orange is a darker color, so the text had to be white.

Alucrid said:
Orange PS3 looks slick, xbox 360 S recolors aren't bad either. But for $175 I can buy sooo many things more useful than a paint job.
I agree. When I had this done, it was only a little over $100 to have done. So, I basically paid the price of a 80GB for my 40GB, which was OK by me given how unique it is. But, now that they want almost $200 for this, that is much to expensive. The quality is good, but not $175 good.

Diablohead said:
Nice fruity colour :p but how is the actual plastic quality? does the pad have a completely different material feel in your hands now? like with some unofficial pads the plastic feels thin, light and when you tap no it sounds rather cheap and might crack when dropped.

Very cool and much better then a console "skin"
The feel is a hard one to describe. This has been my only PS3, so the controller just feels "normal" to me. It is glossy smooth now, so the normal plastic texture of the controller is gone, so that might feel odd if you were used to a standard controller. They now offer a "Soft Touch" paint option for most of the colors, so that would probably correct this issue entirely.

The quality is excellent though. The controller does feel a little light, but that is mostly because it is a Sixaxis and not a Dual Shock. The Dual Shocks were not out yet when I bought this. So, the controller does feel light, compared to a Dual Shock or 360 controller, but no different than any other Sixaxis.

Circle T said:
http://i46.tinypic.com/34sgqcx.jpg/img]

[img]http://i47.tinypic.com/2jew6qc.jpg/img]

[img]http://i47.tinypic.com/so31mu.jpg[img]

[img]http://i48.tinypic.com/2r5u4vb.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Looks sick man. It would be awesome to get a slim and make it glossy black like a fat!

miladesn said:

WOW!

Is that the NES colors?

That looks incredible mate! Im getting bored with plain minimalistic black/white electronics. This device makes the new 360 ten times as good looking. if not 100 times.

Microsoft you bastards... make some more attractive color options!

legbone

AnEternalEnigma said:
The transfer cable doesn't transfer the licenses. You have to do the Xbox.com DRM license migration thing. If you've already used your once-a-year migration, you have to call them and tell them to do it.

I haven't had to call them since September 2008. I don't know if the process has been improved, but when I went through that process at that time, I spent 45 minutes on the phone and talked to 3 different people. It took 15 business days for the licenses to change over, despite them telling me 7-10 business days.

this sounds like the experience i had with them last year. i am going to try and pick up the new 360s today so i hope the experience won't be as bad this time. it will be the third license transfer for me in less than a year (due to refurbs) so i have a bad feeling about this.

Shurs

Hey, dudes. One issue I am having is that, sometimes, the 360 will put out a stereo signal even though I have it set to 5.1. I started up Crackdown 2 this morning and almost immediately discovered that my receiver, which I have hooked to the 360 via HDMI, was pulling in a stereo signal. I jumped back out to the dashboard and checked my audio settings and the 360 was set to output to Dolby Digital 5.1. Last night the 360 was outputting audio at 5.1 and I hadn't touched my audio settings for days.

I thought maybe it was an issue with Crackdown 2, so I started up Geometry Wars 2 and found the same thing. So I went back to the dashboard's audio menu and toggled back and forth between stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1, and now the system is outputting 5.1. Is there something wrong with my 360? Is this a known bug? Any advice?

SonComet

Frys got 360s in stock again today, so I now have a 360 again :D. My dead one is on it's way back to amazon :(. I will make sure to back up my game saves this time around. I always back them up for my PS3 (since you can't just plop the hdd into a new console and have it work), but never for the 360 due to the interchangeable hdd. This is only the 2nd hdd I have had fail on me in my life.

Probably already posted, but Gamestop will do 100$ credit for a traded in 360, and she told me that was a special.

40 or so for my HDD...

160$ then or so for the upgrade is not a bad deal, IF you need wireless and more HDD space. You'd easily spend that on memory and the overpriced adaptors.

Top Bottom