• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

legbone

OneLetter said:
I'm not paying full price for a new one. With GameStop's trade-in incentives (and I pre-ordered in time), the new 360 will only cost me $50. Not $300. That's the only reason I'm doing this.

I see. Fair enough. Sounds like a good plan.

RavenHawk

AgentOtaku said:
Wanted to say +1

I'm am amazed/surprised how quiet it really is. It actually nows beats my gun-metal gray PS3 and is now the quietest console I own next to my Wii. It took 5 years, but MS finally nailed the hardware.

Also, much better plastic/material. Don't hearing the cracking, expanding, or overall cheapness of the fatties.

wonderkins said:
Picked one up driving through Oregon at a Target. No tax, huzzah!

Fixed the remaining single most annoying thing about the 360: the noise. It is significantly quieter. Even when spinning a DVD. Also, the form factor reduction is appreciated. The original was not an obnoxious size, but the smaller footprint is better. Integrated wifi, yes thank you. The gloss, not so much.

So three steps forward, a baby step back. Worth upgrading to a 360 S from an earlier revision, for sure. This and the ps3 slim are why I love mid-cycle revisions. Both are pretty awesome.

Seeing these replies makes me wonder about my 360S so I'll ask again: does the power brick "whine" for anyone else? On mine it is quite audible (It is almost as loud as my Jasper at idle). Is this the norm for everyone else, or did I get a bad brick?

RavenHawk said:
Seeing these replies makes me wonder about my 360S so I'll ask again: does the power brick "whine" for anyone else? On mine it is quite audible (It is almost as loud as my Jasper at idle). Is this the norm for everyone else, or did I get a bad brick?

mine does not whine. Maybe audible if I put my ear right next to it, but no whine.

FrankT

AgentOtaku said:
mine does not whine. Maybe audible if I put my ear right next to it, but no whine.

About the same here. I have mine back behind my TV so I would never hear it, but I was surprised as it does sound like there is a mini-fan in it or something.

RavenHawk

AgentOtaku said:

That's what I figured. The console itself is quiet. If I put the brick in my entertainment center and shut the door the entire system is quiet unless I get right next to the 360S. As soon as I bring the brick out, I can hear the whine from 6' away. The claims of whisper quiet is my primary reason for upgrading (my Jasper's fans drove me nuts), and this is nowhere near it. Time to call MS I suppose. Thanks for the reply.

Massa

RavenHawk said:
That's what I figured. The console itself is quiet. If I put the brick in my entertainment center and shut the door the entire system is quiet unless I get right next to the 360S. As soon as I bring the brick out, I can hear the whine from 6' away. The claims of whisper quiet is my primary reason for upgrading (my Jasper's fans drove me nuts), and this is nowhere near it. Time to call MS I suppose. Thanks for the reply.

Try testing it in a different outlet.

got my working one. love how quiet and sexy it is, just go to a walmart and get one, ive had 2 in 3 days. now i need some friends :<

GT: ContraCobra

i dont have a single friend...sad

mintylurb

RavenHawk said:
Mine gets quite audible after playing games for a while. I'll try to u/l a clip with sound to youtube later.

Thaedolus

Finally got mine! Everything went good with the trade-in, gonna miss old loud whitey but whatever. Thing is super quiet, I love it. Now to wait for my stuff to redownload...

Nif

RavenHawk said:

It did for me, and I thought it was coming from the 360S for a couple weeks before I figured it out. I had it directly behind my TV, which would get pretty hot. I since moved it behind my entertainment center and onto the carpet. It stays pretty cool and I don't hear it at all now.

I'd try to find a cooler spot for it, and if it's still making noise, try to put something under it to dampen the noise. Mine was from the vibrations, at least, so hard surfaces might be bad.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Got mine from Gamestop finally. Boy, did they improve the heat exchange on this thing. Only thing I don't like about it is the gloss, but I suppose it matches my phat PS3. And now they both have touch-sensitive buttons and internal wireless. One happy family!

Why For?

Banned
It's still so strange not hearing a 360 make any noise.

Can't get used to it.

I was almost starting to feel comforted by the jet engine sound. Now I just feel scared of the silence.

Like the calm before the storm :lol

RavenHawk said:
Just to chime in as others have, I hear no whine/noise from my powerbrick. I hope MS customer service can rectify the issue 'cause I very much appreciate how quiet the 360 S is over the earlier revisions. Much more enjoyable to play and use for media.

I had to laugh when my dog, sniffing the new console, accidentally powered it off when her nose came close to the new sensor comprising the chrome ring. lol.

So Microsoft's free extended warranty specifically covers the "3 red lights" problem and nothing else. Which this console is incapable of displaying. So no warranty?

Son of Godzilla said:
So Microsoft's free extended warranty specifically covers the "3 red lights" problem and nothing else. Which this console is incapable of displaying. So no warranty?

News model has only one year warranty for everything.

madmook

The power brick that came with my 360S is pretty loud when gaming. In fact, louder than the actual console itself (except when the dvd drive is running). I sit very close to my consoles, and I don't crank up TV volume, so that may be why I can clearly hear it.

No problems with my console unit or power brick, thusfar. And I've used it a fair bit for RDR and Alan Wake, so I am assuming the louder fans in the power brick are normal.

So yeah, was playing in a dead quiet room this morning and you can indeed hear the powersupply letting out noise. For me, it's similiar to a higher frequency noise of say the dvd drive full spin in the Wii (a newer one, not a launch), which is hardly noticable unless your listening for it.
...and yeah, it's actually louder than the console itself wtf!? :lol

AgentOtaku said:
So yeah, was playing in a dead quiet room this morning and you can indeed hear the powersupply letting out noise. For me, it's similiar to a higher frequency noise of say the dvd drive full spin in the Wii (a newer one, not a launch), which is hardly noticable unless your listening for it.

tell me about it. console itself is "whisper" quiet, but the power brick too loud for my liking. gets annoying when I'm playing....

(&#65507;&#12408;&#65507;)

DeVeAn

AgentOtaku said:
Same here, you need to have the console on for a bit. I don't mind since the console itself is damn quiet.

Son of Godzilla said:
E74 is still covered for three years... which I'm guessing (as it's just an error code) is in the system somewhere.

Shiv47

My Gamestop received their shipment yesterday, and I snapped my reserve up. Was immensely glad my faltering trade-in 360 didn't freeze up during their testing of it.

th3dude

Shiv47 said:
My Gamestop received their shipment yesterday, and I snapped my reserve up. Was immensely glad my faltering trade-in 360 didn't freeze up during their testing of it.

Did they call you?

Drek

sn1pes said:
Well, today is supposed to be the day. Is gamestop finally gonna call me? *crosses fingers*
Got mine from Gamestop yesterday (in St. Louis). Was in the same boat as Shiv47, had a launch system that already red ringed and got repaired once. Effectively cost me $50 to upgrade.

Got mine. It's sweet. Now I have to finagle my game saves and Rock Band 1 songs from my old 360 to my new one. Then I'm solid Jackson.

I stuck my head behind my entertainment console and I can indeed hear the new power supply, and can also hear it some places in the room (but not from my normal gaming seating position). The sound from mine is not high pitched, just a fairly quiet whoosh. The brick is quieter than my DVR.

Mine has been running pretty quiet since I've had it (launch) but recently, at least with Crackdown 2, it seems like at certain points the disc drive will kick in and spin EXTREMELY fast and be as loud at the older models, if not louder. I have no reason not to install my games with the HDD space, but it was still a bit odd as it's been so quiet up until that game. Hopefully an issue with the game and not the system.

FrankT

Psychotext said:
E74 is still covered for three years... which I'm guessing (as it's just an error code) is in the system somewhere.

Aye, that should be still covered under the 3 year warranty.

ThingontheFloor said:
Mine has been running pretty quiet since I've had it (launch) but recently, at least with Crackdown 2, it seems like at certain points the disc drive will kick in and spin EXTREMELY fast and be as loud at the older models, if not louder. I have no reason not to install my games with the HDD space, but it was still a bit odd as it's been so quiet up until that game. Hopefully an issue with the game and not the system.

Interesting and yup got mine on the HDD and notta of course.

th3dude

Woot! The guy at my gamestop has been great. Called me back as soon as he got mine in. Heading to do my trade soon. Hopefully I get most of the cost covered.

Lunchbox

Banned
microsoft has shot themselves in the foot. I don't know how much the rest of you know about ambiance (I'm an expert). The noise of the 360 was apart of its character. Like a muscle car reving its engine you could feel that it was on. It became part of the gameplay experience. Now with this new one, they ruined everything. I maybe playing the 360 but i cant FEEL it like i used to. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but MS has alienated an entire market with this move.

Bill Gates, publicly apologize and bring back the old 360s or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Tomasooie

OneLetter said:
I'm not paying full price for a new one. With GameStop's trade-in incentives (and I pre-ordered in time), the new 360 will only cost me $50. Not $300. That's the only reason I'm doing this.
What were GameStop's trade-in incentives? Are they still going on?

FrankT

Tomasooie said:
What were GameStop's trade-in incentives? Are they still going on?

Pretty sure unless you have a pre-order they are not going on anymore. They were something like $100 for trade in for any 360 with a controller then bumped up trade in values for the HDDs and other accessories.

Edit: It may actually still be going until the 18th if you are lucky enough to find one in store without it being reserved.

Tomasooie

Jtyettis said:
Pretty sure unless you have a pre-order they are not going on anymore. They were something like $100 for trade in for any 360 with a controller then bumped up trade in values for the HDDs and other accessories.

Edit: It may actually still be going until the 18th if you are lucky enough to find one in store without it being reserved.
Thanks!

SonComet said:
CIMG1878-1.jpg

CIMG1880.jpg

Sending it back to amazon for a refund. My old 2007 360 is still going strong, but it's my brother's now and was formatted. I just lost all of my save files, sigh. I was almost through dragon age and bioshock 2. Annoying to say the least... My first 360 death, I made sure to get pictures, lmao. The hdd started making horrible grinding noises and then kaput.
What's that black box that appears to be stacked on top of the 360?

Lunchbox said:
microsoft has shot themselves in the foot. I don't know how much the rest of you know about ambiance (I'm an expert). The noise of the 360 was apart of its character. Like a muscle car reving its engine you could feel that it was on. It became part of the gameplay experience. Now with this new one, they ruined everything. I maybe playing the 360 but i cant FEEL it like i used to. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but MS has alienated an entire market with this move.

Bill Gates, publicly apologize and bring back the old 360s or you can kiss your business goodbye.

perhaps Nyko can start selling some sort of aftermarket part that would rectify this. "THE NOISE AMPLIFIER X"

Doodlebug

I think it's the background object's reflection (or relative lack thereof) off the surface of the console that produces a minor illusion of something sitting on it.

Lunchbox said:

I've actually turned it on and forgotten it was on. For hours. Way to screw up MS.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Got mine today for 89 bucks after all these crazy deals somehow. I'm not complaining. It's pretty awesome.

SilentProtagonist said:
Hey so, I'm trying to transfer my content over but my 360 isn't reading my 250gb hdd. Like when I go to memory nothing shows up? Any ideas?
Is the transfer cable option not showing up? That's the one you have to select

NameGenerated said:
Got mine today for 89 bucks after all these crazy deals somehow. I'm not complaining. It's pretty awesome.

Is the transfer cable option not showing up? That's the one you have to select
Transfer cable shows up, thumb drive shows up, no 250gb hdd though.

Top Bottom