• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 Slim - $299. 250GB, built in Wifi. Available now.

Question for those who have the Arcade Slim. Is anybody using the old 360 hard drives with the Slim?

It is quite simple as once you get the hard drive out of the case you can plug it into the Slim but might have to have some support for it to lay around. However I am wondering if they can ban you for this because you are not doing anything illegal.

Here is a video that demonstrates it anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKnaixPCsns

Coldsnap

sweetvar26 said:
Question for those who have the Arcade Slim. Is anybody using the old 360 hard drives with the Slim?

It is quite simple as once you get the hard drive out of the case you can plug it into the Slim but might have to have some support for it to lay around. However I am wondering if they can ban you for this because you are not doing anything illegal.

Here is a video that demonstrates it anyway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKnaixPCsns

hrmm this might solve my problem with me being too lazy to transfer and re download my 180gigs of stuff I have on my current 360.

Circle T

Question: Does the new 360 S support audio simultaneously from both the HDMI and Optical ports? I'm going to be replacing my launch Elite with the Reach 360 in a week or so. I'm also going to be buying some Astro A40s. I'm just thinking about those times that I don't want to wear the headset, and just use the TVs speakers. Will I have to unplug the headset for the 360 to start sending audio over the HDMI, or will it do that normally regardless of Optical use.

Sub-question: If it does require me to unplug the Optical for the HDMI to send audio, can it just be unplugged from the output end? As in, can I just unplug the Optical cable from the A40 mixamp, or do you have to actually unplug it from the back of the 360 to stop using Optical audio?

Thanks for any info.

longdi

Banned
PSGames said:
CNET's Xbox 360 Slim Vs. Playstation 3 Slim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfN_4Z9LvlM&

I have to agree with all except looks! the new 360 is ugly imo. It is not even much slimmer than the one. Piano black is not too fashionable and microsoft had to go with those odd angle cuts which give the overall package a very cheap plastic look. still very nice to see PS3 gaining more love after the early backlash! :D

longdi said:
I have to agree with all except looks! the new 360 is ugly imo. It is not even much slimmer than the one. Piano black is not too fashionable and microsoft had to go with those odd angle cuts which give the overall package a very cheap plastic look. still very nice to see PS3 gaining more love after the early backlash! :D

That's funny because I'm the opposite. I think the 360 slim is the nicest console out of all the usual suspects aside from it's dust magnet qualities. In pictures, especially the original leak, I found it hideous and puzzling but in person it's clean, sleek and nice. Makes the PS3 slim look cheap(er) than it did before, as well as bigger and more bloated than ever set up next to one another.

I finally bought a 360s 250GB, was oh so tempted to go with the matte but I would be kicking myself in the butt because I passed up paying £50 more to have the HDD (after living since 2005 on 14GB storage). I would have loved the 4GB internal though that shit is fast.

I grabbed the £209 deal at GAME so I also had Mass Effect 2, Shift and the new Persia game thrown in, I checked up some ebay prices and going to sell both PoP and ME2 to net back £25 or so, I'm waiting for the GOTY inevitable edition of ME2 before I play it, so woo! :D

I still think it looks shit though, new fully black controller is hot however.

-PXG- said:
Got it in today

2s1109k.jpg
Jeez. Those prices are still nutso. And don't tell me that the casing costs $70 either Major Nelson you filthy PR liar!

To those saying the new model is not much smaller, it's much more square like a ps3 slim and I like that, the space on my desk now has ample extra room to the sides because the console is like 1.5 inches shorter, I was tempted to stand the thing up like a tower because it feels much more stable then the old design.

Raide

sweetvar26 said:
I'm surprised they did not announce a Black Ops special edition console yet, may be after Reach comes out...

I have not heard any rumours about one. I know they did one for MW2 but not for WAW. I wonder if MS are not seeing Black Ops as worth a console edition?

Played a little forza 3 and installed it's disc 2, the dvd drive is silent, quite an amazing change from the old white jet engine I use to play on, I will install some games to help with loading but I don't think I even need to both with a lot of titles, my pc is louder and that is rather quiet to being with :lol

Outside of the ugly looking design which I can just about live with I love what the new S model has to offer, the wireless has been flawless for the last few hours too.

It's also damn nice to have storage space after all these years, I've had all my owned xbla titles downloading so I can install them all at the same time!

Raide said:
I have not heard any rumours about one. I know they did one for MW2 but not for WAW. I wonder if MS are not seeing Black Ops as worth a console edition?

It could be because they announced a Halo Reach console, so they will probably do this after the release of Halo Reach.

The controllers and the headsets were announced as Black Ops accessories, really surprised they did not announce a console, I was actually going to pick one up if they did.

I just got a new 4gb Xbox today along with Aliens vs Predator and Mass Effect 2. What an improvement over my old Elite. I'm really loving it so far. A lot less noise. Though, I noticed, the loudest part was the power brick. I'll probably pick up a 250 gb hard drive around christmas time. I mainly use my PS3 for media right now so I'm not really worried about the hard drive space at this moment. Man, Mass Effect 2 is such a great game. 3 hours in and I'm hooked.

Curufinwe

WickedCobra03 said:
Jeez. Those prices are still nutso. And don't tell me that the casing costs $70 either Major Nelson you filthy PR liar!

If the price for the 250GB hard drive ever drops below $100 (and it's already only $113 on Amazon), would that mean you would always be better of buying the Arcade and then the hard drive separately?

I guess I'm just asking if there any differences between the two models other than the hard drive, and the finish (which I don't care about).

Nizz

Guy Legend said:
Is the new 4gb system backwards compatible with Xbox 1 games out of the box? Not sure if the system recognizes the 4gb memory as a hard drive?
I'd love to know this too.

Curufinwe said:
If the price for the 250GB hard drive ever drops below $100 (and it's already only $113 on Amazon), would that mean you would always be better of buying the Arcade and then the hard drive separately?

I guess I'm just asking if there any differences between the two models other than the hard drive, and the finish (which I don't care about).
No difference apart from the 250GB console has no internal flash memory, the 4GB has, so if you wanted to buy the HDD separately I would suggest you buy the arcade as the onboard flash memory is lightning fast for gamer profiles, faster then a usb pen.

Speaking of speed and it's probably because my 360s is new but my game list loads up in about 8 seconds from a cold boot, on my 20gig launch unit my games list would take about 15 seconds even with a clean cache.

Also I noticed that forza 3 when installed on the 360s loads faster then when it's installed to the old 20gig, improvement is tiny but it's there.

demonkaze

Is it better ot get a USB or hard drive seeing as I have a 4gb S? Where would be the best place to get either of these as well, I don't want to end up getting a fake or one thats not compatible.

demonkaze said:
Is it better ot get a USB or hard drive seeing as I have a 4gb S? Where would be the best place to get either of these as well, I don't want to end up getting a fake or one thats not compatible.

Buy a real 250 gb harddrive, having a USB solution will only give you 16 gigs, and thats between two usb sticks.

Buy one of the harddrives you see in this thread, it's the official one that slot right into your 360.

Circle T

One bump to see if anyone knows this. Thanks.

Circle T said:
Question: Does the new 360 S support audio simultaneously from both the HDMI and Optical ports? I'm going to be replacing my launch Elite with the Reach 360 in a week or so. I'm also going to be buying some Astro A40s. I'm just thinking about those times that I don't want to wear the headset, and just use the TVs speakers. Will I have to unplug the headset for the 360 to start sending audio over the HDMI, or will it do that normally regardless of Optical use.

Sub-question: If it does require me to unplug the Optical for the HDMI to send audio, can it just be unplugged from the output end? As in, can I just unplug the Optical cable from the A40 mixamp, or do you have to actually unplug it from the back of the 360 to stop using Optical audio?

Thanks for any info.

Curufinwe

Diablohead said:
No difference apart from the 250GB console has no internal flash memory, the 4GB has, so if you wanted to buy the HDD separately I would suggest you buy the arcade as the onboard flash memory is lightning fast for gamer profiles, faster then a usb pen.

It seems like the Arcade doesn't come with a headset.

AzBat

Curufinwe said:
It seems like the Arcade doesn't come with a headset.

Never has either. Arcade also never came with a Ethernet cable either. However, none of the new systems come with one now that it has Wi-Fi.

linkboy

Guy Legend said:
Is the new 4gb system backwards compatible with Xbox 1 games out of the box? Not sure if the system recognizes the 4gb memory as a hard drive?

Doubt it. The original Xbox had a 10GB hard drive, so I doubt it.

I'm thinking of getting a slim and moving my 2006 20GB Xbox downstairs (no wired internet in my basement), to be used as a Rock Band-only machine.

Two questions:

1) Will my Rock Band DLC songs still work if the console is always offline?

2) Is it true that I can transfer all of my files, one at a time, via a USB stick to the new slim? The biggest size I have is 4GB so it would have to be a few separate transfers.

The Lamonster said:
I'm thinking of getting a slim and moving my 2006 20GB Xbox downstairs (no wired internet in my basement), to be used as a Rock Band-only machine.

Two questions:

1) Will my Rock Band DLC songs still work if the console is always offline?

2) Is it true that I can transfer all of my files, one at a time, via a USB stick to the new slim? The biggest size I have is 4GB so it would have to be a few separate transfers.
for 1 it should do if the 360 you are moving downstairs was the console you bought the content on, but EA seem to like to lock their latest dlc to your gamertag so best bet is to try it out offline before you arrange anything.

As for 2 yes you can usb transfer, some things might not copy but it seems telling it to "move" across will work, you should have no problems doing so. Press Y on the memory screen to bulk move instead of 1 at a time.

Thanks for the response, I guess I will just have to experiment with offline mode DLC.

How exactly do I transfer data with the USB card? Is it somewhere in Preferences>Memory?

Dai101

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Thanks for the response, I guess I will just have to experiment with offline mode DLC.

How exactly do I transfer data with the USB card? Is it somewhere in Preferences>Memory?

Yup.

Also you first need to format your USB drive, but i guess you already knew that :D

One more thing: Does the Slim come with an HDMI cable? If not, what do you guys recommend? I'm thinking the "gold-plated" super-duper cables are just a waste of money, right?

FrankT

The Lamonster said:
One more thing: Does the Slim come with an HDMI cable? If not, what do you guys recommend? I'm thinking the "gold-plated" super-duper cables are just a waste of money, right?

No HDMI cable, but yea a monoprice $5 cable will do just fine.

Btw, anyone had any tech problems with theirs yet? No issues on mine since June. Knock on wood.

Can I use the HDMI for video and the optical for audio at the same time? I am wondering if they make you use the HDMI audio if you're using the video...

Manp

The Lamonster said:
Thanks! Sounds like I'm set to buy it. Just need to make sure I have the money...

you can do that with every HDMI equipped version, not just the S. you just need the optical dongle

:)

Just ordered a 250GB version myself. I would go for the Reach Bundle but I find the shiny black more appealing. Now the waiting begins for the system and my new TV bulb.

th3dude

I can't believe I'm about to say this but I think I need to send my 250gb in for repair. I'm so angry.

I'm having awful controller sync issues. In the middle of any game about 10 minutes in my controller will just freeze. The player 1 light will stay on on both the console and the controller but whatever I was doing, such as walking forward, will get stuck and repeat infinitely.

The only way out is a hard reset of the 360. Even then it takes about 5 to 10 hard resets for the controller to resync.

I keep hearing that interference is to blame. Well I've shut off almost all of the devices that could cause the problem, even my router, with no luck. This happens on both my old controller and the new one that was bundled. Even connecting to play and charge doesn't work. Everything worked fine on my old pro unit and nothing has changed except the 360.

I'm out of ideas and destined to begin yet another string of refurbs from MS, just with the new model.

I think those are most of the details. Please, gaf, help me fix this before I have to send this thing in. Also I'm past the 30 days to return to gamestop as well so no luck there unless I am wrong about their policy.

Help is appreciated

Any chance you can try playing with an old white controller to see if it has problems? or use the new black controller on an older model?

With my 360s i've noticed in some games it's making certan textures and polygons shimmer like when you lay two polys in the same space, they flicker at distance. I don't remember this happening on my white launch unit but i'll have to do some tests, and I don't think it's an overheating problem as I have given the 360s lots of space and can feel the heat coming out, much cooler then the old models exhaust heat.

sn1pes said:
Help is appreciated

Might not be related but are there any other wireless deices in between?

Sometimes my wireless headset loses the connection to the 360 when my Cellphone is beside it and when I move my cellphone around, it is normal.

So there might be some interferences.

th3dude

sweetvar26 said:
Might not be related but are there any other wireless deices in between?

Sometimes my wireless headset loses the connection to the 360 when my Cellphone is beside it and when I move my cellphone around, it is normal.

So there might be some interferences.
I shut everything down including my router, iPhone, and cordless phone and it still happens.

Already have the ticket filed with MS :(

Top Bottom