• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D Games That Hold Up From the 32/64-bit era?

Krejlooc

Banned
nZy1IIV.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
DK64 aged alright, I think.

descargar-el-apk-del-juego-Donkey-Kong-64-para-Android.jpg

Anth0ny

Star Fox 64

star-fox-64pic1.jpg

Edit: That may be from the 3DS version. idk though lol

Here,

kjpmI6q.jpg

top looks like 64 running through an emulator (definitely not 3DS), though the virtual console of Star Fox 64 looks basically the same.

Hell, most N64 VC games hold up extremely well. The bump up to 480p helps.

TDLink

Terrible frame rate disqualifies both IMO.

Crash Bandicoot 1-3 are my picks.

I disagree. The OP mentions nothing about framerate. Even though they run at sub-30, when you're playing the games it isn't too noticeable. The games themselves still contain incredibly great design and are fun to play. They also don't look like garbage. Thus, they hold up.

jeremy1456

I disagree. The OP mentions nothing about framerate. Even though they run at sub-30, when you're playing the games it isn't too noticeable. The games themselves still contain incredibly great design and are fun to play. They also don't look like garbage. Thus, they hold up.

The framerates are kind of implied. That's most what needs to hold up.

NIN90

I'm sorry but I'm gonna call nostalgia goggles on that one.

Krejlooc

Banned
D7Hp2If.jpg

ESPECIALLY with an analog atari jaguar rotary joystick. Absolutely nothing else like the experience of playing this with real analog rotary controls. One of the best games ever made.

rjc571

Banned
Great graphics, especially for the time and hardware, but I hated the gameplay even when it was new. Conker is a much better game in every way IMO.

anywho, continuing:

nMlF10C.jpg

Maybe if you had posted the Arcade version... the Saturn port of Sega Rally runs like complete ass.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Crash Bandicoot 1-3, Metal Gear Solid, Rayman 2, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy 7/8, the 2 Zeldas, Star Fox 64, F-Zero X, Kirby 64, Super Smash Bros 64...the list is not that small.

Begaria

This is completely bias considering it's my favorite console RPG of all time but: Vagrant Story!

tumblr_lihocclONL1qd6q29o1_1280.jpg

f1e3a023.jpg

Googled images don't really do the game justice. It looks so much better in motion. The character art, the animation, the monster art, and all the little details make it truly awesome. I will admit some of the environment art does look fairly dated by today's standards.

I'm sorry but I'm gonna call nostalgia goggles on that one.

I just finished OoT for the first time last year. It was great and the graphics didn't bother me (aside from the nightmare fuel fairy).

It is not nostalgia goggles.

As for the topic:

einhanderboss.jpg

Einhander.

PhineBuyM3

I just finished OoT for the first time last year. It was great and the graphics didn't bother me (aside from the nightmare fuel fairy).

It is not nostalgia goggles.

As for the topic:

einhanderboss.jpg

Einhander.

Glad I read all the replies first, I was gonna post an Einhander screen as well.

Pretty small selection for me there. A lot of games from that time had really bad frame rates and since the PAL versions ran at even lower fps than their NTSC counterparts because of 50Hz TVs I can't say I'm looking back very fondly when it comes to technical aspects.

Still love to play Star Fox 64(or Lylat Wars :p) and Wave Race 64.

jeremy1456

This is completely bias considering it's my favorite console RPG of all time but: Vagrant Story!

Googled images don't really do the game justice. It looks so much better in motion. The character art, the animation, the monster art, and all the little details make it truly awesome. I will admit some of the environment art does look fairly dated by today's standards.

The first time I played this game I thought it looked like vomit.

Several hours later I learned it plays like it looks. Don't get me wrong; the engine is fairly smooth but the gameplay is best compared to how the game looks like in still frames. Vomit.

Glass Rebel

The first Sin & Punishment still holds up really well, probably because it's made by treasure and because it was one of if not the last N64 game.

Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Mega Man Legends, Mega Man Legends 2, Donkey Kong 64, Goemon 64, etc., etc.... quite a few, actually.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The first Sin & Punishment still holds up really well, probably because it's made by treasure and because it was one of if not the last N64 game.
What.

I love that game, but it was always ugly. Bunch of triangles mashed together and then ran over with a blur tool a million times.

I think the framerate is really solid, though. Not sure what it was exactly but it doesn't drop much unless you flip on turbo mode.

If you mean 3D 3D, as in not with an overhead or sidescrolling view? Pretty much any big N64 games and most first person shooters. I will admit though that there were a lot less 3D games during that era than most think. Most 3D games were just overhead or had fixed views with 3D graphics.

In fact outside of platformers, Zelda, racing games, first person shooters, and Tomb Raider, I struggle to think of games of that era that weren't.

Raziel

Fully 3D N64 games controlled with a single analog like SM64 are the first ones that come to mind that don't hold up.

Top Bottom