• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D Games That Hold Up From the 32/64-bit era?

Shiggy

Mario Kart 64 still looks okay and plays great.

Perhaps if you played it when you were young. But if you don't have any nostalgic feelings and started playing MK games with Double Dash, then MK7 does not only look pretty bad but it also plays incredibly slow and boring. Before MK Wii was out I downloaded MK64 on VC - it was a huge letdown.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
metalgearsolidscreenshot1180609580.jpg

Isnt this the PC Port of MGS1?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
DK64 aged alright, I think.

descargar-el-apk-del-juego-Donkey-Kong-64-para-Android.jpg

DK64's godawful object draw-in made it unplayable at the time of release for me. Having to get unreasonably close to a difficult to reach platform just to see if there was a banana there? Nope, I'm out. In Banjo you could look around the level and see your targets, and DK64 taking that step backwards was just unacceptable.

I say Kirby 64, Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie, as well as Final Fantasy VIII and IX hold up pretty well.
I don't think FFVII holds up that good because those graphics REALLY suck hard. I actually didn't even like them back in 1997.

DK64 aged alright, I think.

descargar-el-apk-del-juego-Donkey-Kong-64-para-Android.jpg

That's a baaaad texture pak there, son.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Mario Kart 64, Banjo-Kazooie and 1080 Snowboarding definitely don't. Not because of the graphics, more because of the gameplay.

A mere level pack for Banjo-Kazooie (same N64 tech, 60€) I'd buy in a heartbeat and would prefer it over any game that's been released or announced for this year. This is how bad Banjo-Kazooie has aged. Absolutely splendid level design and great game mechanics.

Yoshi

DK64's godawful object draw-in made it unplayable at the time of release for me. Having to get unreasonably close to a difficult to reach platform just to see if there was a banana there? Nope, I'm out. In Banjo you could look around the level and see your targets, and DK64 taking that step backwards was just unacceptable.
If there was a platform, there was a banana. Which colour that banana had is a different question though... ;)

Shiggy

A mere level pack for Banjo-Kazooie (same N64 tech, 60€) I'd buy in a heartbeat and would prefer it over any game that's been released or announced for this year. This is how bad Banjo-Kazooie has aged. Absolutely splendid level design and great game mechanics.

I hadn't played the originals but based on the XBLA ports I absolutely disagree. But well, I don't have any nostalgic feelings towards the titles. Games have come a long way since 1998, with camera, controls, and game design improving quite a bit.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It holds up better than any PS1 fighter for sure,

I prefer Soul Blade personally. Maybe even Tekken 3.

As for 3D games that sill hold up...
Mario 64
Banjo and Kazooie
Silent Bomber (there's nothing like it)
Crash Bandicoot
Ray Storm
Einhander
Ray Crisis
Thunderforce 5
Rtype Delta
Radiant Silvergun
Crash Bandicoot Racing
Crash Bandicoot series
Spyro the Dragon
Die Hard Arcade
Zelda titles

Celine

I hadn't played the originals but based on the XBLA ports I absolutely disagree. But well, I don't have any nostalgic feelings towards the titles. Games have come a long way since 1998, with camera, controls, and game design improving quite a bit.
For a 1998 game, the gameplay hold up remarkably well.
Of course games that came later refined the formula but BK is still a classic IMO (better than DK64, BT and Conker).

No, you are thinking of WipEout 1 and 2097 (XL in the US), WipEout 3 never was released on the Saturn.

For this thread I'd like to nominate the WipEout games though; I think they hold up well gameplay wise. The first game is a little tricky, but 2097 and 3 really play great today. The feeling of the anti-gravity ship is fantasic and precise.

252px-Wipeout_Coverart.png
256px-WipEout2097Cover.jpg
Wipeout3.png

Especially 3 holds up well, with it's higher resolution and cleaner graphics. Benefitting from being later on in the PS1's lifetime.

I agree.

3 has "prototype" tracks, and while I don't think they are actually cel shaded, they use simple texturing that looks very much like it, and it holds up really well.

6F7B2CG.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvW5CYispTY

Grizzo

Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Majora's Mask (visually better than Ocarina for me), Conker Bad's Fur Day, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Wave Race 64, Rayman 2, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Donkey Kong 64... plenty of them have aged well imo.

Glass Rebel

What.

I love that game, but it was always ugly. Bunch of triangles mashed together and then ran over with a blur tool a million times.

I think the framerate is really solid, though. Not sure what it was exactly but it doesn't drop much unless you flip on turbo mode.

Hmm, I haven't played it on original hardware so that might paint my memory of the game but I thought it looked pretty cool and as close to Suzuki's artstyle as the N64 would permit. I was talking more about the framerate and controls though. Of course, it's "just" a railshooter but it still plays amazingly well.

Yoshi

It's not a matter of nostalgia. The level design in Banjo-Kazooie is absolutely brilliant, that team of Rare's really absolutely nailed the Collectathon subgenre, knowing exactly, how to use the collectibles to ensure a great flow in the game. The levels are compact, yet free for exploration, the notes lay out the basic paths through the levels and the design ideas for each level were expertly executed.

Since 1998, there were almost no improvements in camera, controls or game design in the collecathon genre. Super Mario Sunshine in 2002 improved on the camera and the controls, but after that there was only Vexx (2003) and a remake of Super Mario 64 even released in that genre and while Vexx is a nice game, it wasn't better than Banjo in any aspect sans graphics, Super Mario 64 DS had worse controls than Banjo and the camera wasn't better either. So no, this genre was not improved on since 2002 and the improvements from 1998 to 2002 were not that notable.

EDIT: I guess I should also answer the op's question:
Super Mario 64, Zelda OoT, Zelda MM, Banjo-Kazooie and F-Zero X are still among the best games ever created, besides them, Conker, Banjo-Tooie, Rayman 2, NiGHTS into Dreams (does that count as a 3D game?) and Diddy Kong Racing (also Mario Kart 64, but MKDS, MK7 and in particular MK8 are so much better than MK64...) are great fun. For PlayStation games, there are a lot of good games that suffer a lot from the PlayStation controller not having an analog stick. The Resident Evils, Croc, to lesser extend the Crash Bandicoot games would all greatly benefit from a complete overhaul of the controls, their level design is really good though.

EDIT 2: The Spyro games also hold up particularly well, they are still as awfully bad designed Banjo-clones, that absolutely failed to capture the essence of what makes collectathons fun, as ever. They do look quite nice though.

I agree.

3 has "prototype" tracks, and while I don't think they are actually cel shaded, they use simple texturing that looks very much like it, and it holds up really well.

6F7B2CG.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvW5CYispTY

Those prototypes should be like the benchmark for anybody making a new wipEout game. Make it play, move and feel like that with 1080p@60fps first, THEN add all the visuals and modern effects; guaranteed a great wipEout game.

Krejlooc

Banned
Early 3D games that have aged well are very few and far between in my book. People have mentioned Starfox 64 and I think I'll agree to that, but the overall texture quality on the N64 was still pretty poor compared to the PSX, which had larger storage for clearer / bigger textures. Games on PSX generally seemed to have higher framerates too (the framerate on some N64 games is just abysmal, and the resolution is ridiculously blurry / small).

MGS1 is a pretty good example of an early 3D console game that hasn't aged atrociously. It has sort of a comic book-y vibe to its art direction.

metalgearsolidscreenshot1180609580.jpg

Both the N64 and PSX had 1 mb of vram, so it didn't have room for larger textures than the N64. Rather, they were simply unfiltered, and because the PSX couldn't draw large polygons, it would have to subdivide large geometry into smaller chunks, which meant textures typically tiled better on the PSX (where they were stretched over huge areas on the N64).

N64:

isWv2I7vTjccS.jpg

ibjfI91i2rfQ3b.jpg

PSX:

iAlDXk9tvdDkn.jpg

ivab0NoTDzqc1.jpg

The shot you posted above of MGS is running on an emulator with its textures having a filter applied over them. And yes, the shots I posted are from emulators as well. The intent is to show the geometry, not the textures.

EDIT: In fact, the PSX has a 2k texture cache compared to the N64's 4k texture cache.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Vagrant Story

Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie look great on XBLA due to higher res and framerate. Same with Perfect Dark. I can't think of any N64 games that still look good today when played on a N64.

Krejlooc

Banned
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Vagrant Story

Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie look great on XBLA due to higher res and framerate. Same with Perfect Dark. I can't think of any N64 games that still look good today when played on a N64.

High resolution games tend to look good on a real N64 these days. Ignoring framerate, Perfect Dark looks great. Or Turok 2.

Conker also looks good on a real N64, despite not being high resolution.

arhra

EDIT: In fact, the PSX has a 2k texture cache compared to the N64's 4k texture cache.

Those two numbers really aren't comparable at all: The PSX's texture cache is actually a proper cache. The texture units can access the main VRAM directly, and the cache sits in-between and caches texels as they're accessed.

The N64's texture "cache" is nothing of the sort. It's a manually-managed local store, and is the only piece of memory that the texture units can access directly, so every time you want to use a different texture, the entire texture (including the whole mip pyramid, for a mipmapped texture) has to be manually copied into the texture memory.

Jamix012

Rareware's later output and the Mega Man Legends series come to mind.
Particularly Mega Man 64, it was more foggy, but otherwise looked far better than it's PS1 counterpart.
megaman64_screen016.jpg

Banned
Emulator shots. Emulator shots everywhere!

As a huge PS1 fan I gotta say, none have aged well. The PS1 sucked at textures and had so much flickering in 3D games.

The N64 first and second party games have aged well.

What does "hold up well" mean?

It seems most people here (no surprise) automatically assume it's a discussion about graphics.

I interpreted it as "which games are still fun and feel fresh to play?"

Until we all agree on what OP is talking about, many conversations in this thread will just go in circles.

Spyro3_1.jpg

Recently replayed the PS1 trilogy, and while Spyro 1 feels kinda prototype-y the second and third games are absolutely fantastic. Full 3D environments that are a blast to explore and collect gems, with surprisingly spot-on controls and camera.

I also replayed the PS1 Crash trilogy and, while still great games, felt like they hadn't aged as well. They are a weird pseudo-full 3D that is mostly constrained to a 2D path, but not completely. It doesn't feel as good or work as well with the level designs as either full 3D environments in Spyro or committed 2.5D games like Klonoa imo. For example, the "run towards the camera, boulder chase" levels are really strange in hindsight.

LOL... I think you mean 4kb

Wikipedia said:
However, the smaller storage size of ROM cartridges limited the number of available textures, resulting in games that had blurry graphics. This was caused by the liberal use of stretched, low-resolution textures, and was compounded by the N64's 4,096-byte limit on a single texture

You can easily see that the PS1 had way more memory for textures just by looking at most games. Some PS1 games have textures so detailed that you wouldn't even notice a big difference if they were smoothed using the N64's filtering (on an SD tv of course).

g8OEJCZ.png

Look closely at this screen of Crash Bandicoot. There's no texture smoothing in this shot.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
What does "hold up well" mean?

It seems most people here (no surprise) automatically assume it's a discussion about graphics.

I interpreted it as "which games are still fun and feel fresh to play?"

Until we all agree on what OP is talking about, many conversations in this thread will just go in circles.
Since the OP specified "3D" in the title, I just assumed he was talking about graphics. It's a weird distinction to make otherwise.

The only answer I had for this is Vagrant Story but I see it's been covered extensively in the thread already :)

Square just did an incredible job with translating Matsuno's traditional art style into 3D for a PS1 game. It still looked great when I played it a few months ago.

I feel like Symphony of the Night should count too since it had so many 3D elements.

Herne

Mario Kart 64 still looks okay and plays great.

Have to disagree that it looks great, even back when it was released it was disappointing that the character models were sprites and not polygonal models. Their ragged edges were visible back then and more so today.

It still does play great, though, I agree with you there.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The majority of them hold up for me, but I will mention in particular:

Medievil
Armored Core
Crash Bandicoot Naughty Dog Trilogy
Quake
Duke Nukem 3D
Shadow Warrior
Fear Effect
Metal Gear Solid + VR Missions
Soul Blade
Wipeout XL\2097
Legend of Dragoon
Ghost in the Shell (PS1)

Ghost_in_the_Shell_Coverart.png

dat ps1

Never played Omega Boost or Vagrant Story but they seem like obvious picks as well. To prove that I just don't like ANY early 3d game, one example of one that I do NOT consider to have aged well would be MDK (PC, Mac, PS1).

Killua

Gameplay wise, I think the N64 games on VC still play very well. I was playing Zelda Oot a couple days ago and had no problems with it. Zelda games, Mario 64, Fzero, Star Fox 64, Paper Mario are all very playable.

Top Bottom