• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D Games That Hold Up From the 32/64-bit era?

Bitanator

DK64 aged alright, I think.

descargar-el-apk-del-juego-Donkey-Kong-64-para-Android.jpg

when did the game ever look like that? Those textures are not eye bleeding ugly like in the actual game I've played

Mega Man Legends' visuals have aged well, but the second game's much more playable thanks to dual-stick controls.

And yes, Shining Force III's special effects were and still are to die for. It's an amazing game in almost all respects (never been too hot on the Sakuraba soundtrack).

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

Krejlooc

Banned
I capped a video of VF2's intro to use as a sample for the Saturn's RGB output. Might as well link it here.

The horizontal resolution isn't exactly correct due to a quirk with my capture card. And since the game runs in 480i, I used a deinterlace filter when capturing, which might be cheating a little bit, but it's difficult to convey how 480i would look as intended on a CRT anyway.

This is great, please capture some normal fight footage. VF2 needs to be seen in 60 FPS to be appreciated. Such a great looking game from that era.

would love a YT upload!

I know Youtube plans for 60 fps videos, but can you upload one yet?

CorvoSol

While I don't think that FF7 looks good at all nowadays, it still plays great. FF8 and FF9 have held up much, much better. Chrono Cross as well.

this got a terrific saturn port, too. It runs at 25 FPS instead of 30, though.
No, you are thinking of WipEout 1 and 2097 (XL in the US), WipEout 3 never was released on the Saturn.

For this thread I'd like to nominate the WipEout games though; I think they hold up well gameplay wise. The first game is a little tricky, but 2097 and 3 really play great today. The feeling of the anti-gravity ship is fantasic and precise.

252px-Wipeout_Coverart.png
256px-WipEout2097Cover.jpg
Wipeout3.png

Especially 3 holds up well, with it's higher resolution and cleaner graphics. Benefitting from being later on in the PS1's lifetime.

Scrolled down to see Tobal 2, Omega Boost, Ridge Racer Type 4 & Einhander.

Tekken 3 still look kinda nice too. So do the Crash Bandicoot and Colony Wars games.

Krejlooc

Banned
No, you are thinking of WipEout 1 and 2097 (XL in the US), WipEout 3 never was released on the Saturn.

Oh yes you are right, I am indeed thinking of Wipeout 2097.

Still that was a great game as well. I'd say all the wipeout games really hold up well, on all systems, even the N64 one. The somewhat abstract design really helps. And, of course, the gameplay is great.

Basically, any good 3D game that used a 2D or first person perspective (fighting games, racing games, 3rd person games that used a behind the back camera, games with fixed camera angles, etc).

The biggest problem back then was that designers were not used to 3D and were completely lost on how to make those games work. The hardware limitations did not help either.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Pretty much only games that had 2D gameplay hold up, like Silent Bomber or Einhander.
Metal Gear Solid holds up ok because it's mostly 2D.

Oh yes you are right, I am indeed thinking of Wipeout 2097.

Still that was a great game as well. I'd say all the wipeout games really hold up well, on all systems, even the N64 one. The somewhat abstract design really helps. And, of course, the gameplay is great.

Yeah, the artistic design makes the graphics survive the test of time more. It helps that the ships were made of very few polygons, yet managed to hide the fact with the straight, triangular shapes of them. I'd die for a re-release of all three in HD.

Allthough the PS1 version run at higher framerate and have better graphical effects, the Saturn versions have some benefits of their later release dates though;

WipEout 1 has a more forgiving crash physics than the PS1 version.
WipEout 2097 has a longer draw distance, helping the track not simply disappear a few yards in front of your ship.

Pokemon Snap!

12b.jpg

Of all the games in history that by all rights should be extremely terrible but are surprisingly awesome, Pokemon Snap may just take the cake.

Griss

I find that a lot of 32-64bit era games actually have a charm to their design because they're not weighed down by tons of auxiliary mechanics and objectives to make sure you know your making progress and 'having fun'. In most of these games, the core gameplay is the fun, and that's all the game's about.

Mario 64, Ocarina and Majora's Mask are definitely the games that hold up best from that era. Brilliant designs, still, and still perfectly playable, if blocky.

And LOL at some people assuming that how well a game holds up is determined by its framerate. Neogaf: "Framerate uber alles"

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I find that a lot of 32-64bit era games actually have a charm to their design because they're not weighed down by tons of auxiliary mechanics and objectives to make sure you know your making progress and 'having fun'. In most of these games, the core gameplay is the fun, and that's all the game's about.

Mario 64, Ocarina and Majora's Mask are definitely the games that hold up best from that era. Brilliant designs, still, and still perfectly playable, if blocky.

And LOL at some people assuming that how well a game holds up is determined by its framerate. Neogaf: "Framerate uber alles"
A lot of N64 games give me nausea now because the framerates are so godawful.

I haven't played them for years, but I think there's a fair chance isometric games like Overboard and Future Cop LAPD would still hold up nicely.

ovbops001_m.jpg

298854-lapd2100_009.jpg

One game I definitely know stands up (since I've been playing it recently) is R-Type Delta

bgRtypeDelta7.png

Neff

No end of them.

A good game is a good game always. Unless of course we're talking about visual fidelity, which naturally is going to date as tech moves forward, but I'd argue that there are a lot of 32bit era games which still look good.

Super Mario 64 is the main one that comes to mind, as well as the Resident Evil games.

I would agree that these are the standout stars of this era, though.

I haven't played them for years, but I think there's a fair chance isometric games like Overboard and Future Cop LAPD would still hold up nicely.

ovbops001_m.jpg

298854-lapd2100_009.jpg

One game I definitely know stands up (since I've been playing it recently) is R-Type Delta

bgRtypeDelta7.png

Great choices! These games have a more simple viewing angle and smaller scale graphics which I think suits the hardware at the time better. Large 3D worlds just wasn't PS1's strong suite. The N64 handled these better.

devonodev

Tony Hawk Pro Skater, specifically 2 cause that's the one I always played. Still feels so good to play.

Also F-Zero X, the graphics look horrible, but it's hardly noticeable while actually playing.

Maybe if you had posted the Arcade version... the Saturn port of Sega Rally runs like complete ass.

It ran at a solid 30FPS and looked very nice on the console, and the Japanese version actually had some visual improvements over the US version. Daytona USA on the Saturn ran like ass however, the game was sub 25FPS most of the time.

Krejlooc

Banned
oh4sgju.jpg

EsmpdML.jpg

Grandia

It ran at a solid 30FPS and looked very nice on the console, and the Japanese version actually had some visual improvements over the US version. Daytona USA on the Saturn ran like ass however, the game was sub 25FPS most of the time.

It's also commonly cited as one of the best Saturn games. I just assumed the guy was thinking of Sega Rally 2 on the Dreamcast.

TVC 15

Neo Member
Came here looking for badly formatted hi-res emulator screenshots from 32/64 bit generation games, GAF did not disappoint

Krejlooc

Banned
Came here looking for badly formatted hi-res emulator screenshots from 32/64 bit generation games, GAF did not disappoint

All the saturn shots aren't running in higher resolution at least. SSF doesn't allow for virtually any image enhancements.

EDIT: I wonder if people expected to see so much saturn stuff, though.

Celine

Generally speaking 3D fighting games, racing games and rail shooters stood up really well mostly because their confined nature and no camera problem.
RPG also stood well but most of them are really 2D game (in design).
And then there is Nintendo.

Maybe if you had posted the Arcade version... the Saturn port of Sega Rally runs like complete ass.
Disagree.
Played the saturn version the other day and it is still a very fun game.
Arcade version is better but that's obvious.

The framerates are kind of implied. That's most what needs to hold up.
Performance is important yes but a sound core mechanics and camera system is vital for a game that holds up IMO.

EDIT:
Also I don't consider Resident Evil and all those game which used prerendered background and a fixed perspective to be "3D games".

TVC 15

Neo Member
All the saturn shots aren't running in higher resolution at least. SSF doesn't allow for virtually any image enhancements.

EDIT: I wonder if people expected to see so much saturn stuff, though.

Yup, probably why most people think Saturn games look like arse compared to their PSX counterparts because of the state emulation for both and better emu screenshots for PSX, N64 and PSX are usually the worst offenders. They all look like arse in reality but in a charming sort of way.

Balanced for arse lean.

Shiggy

Mario Kart 64, Banjo-Kazooie and 1080 Snowboarding definitely don't. Not because of the graphics, more because of the gameplay.

Has anyone mentioned Diddy Kong Racing? Because Diddy Kong Racing.

I don't know, the button mashing trick kind of takes the fun out of it.

That must be some kind of redesign because I don't remember DK64 looking that good.

Not that it was necessary (the tree texture alone is far too hi-res to be the regular game), but reverse image search took me to a hi-res retexture patch for it, so you're right.

Recall

There should be rule with these threads where emulators and their pictures are null and void.

Original hardware or bust.

Yarbskoo

I'd like to say Spyro the Dragon aged well, but the tiny resolution is a killer.

WubyjCi.png

The unfiltered textures and wobbly polygons don't help either, but the game has a great art direction, with brilliant use of color that really helps to make the whole image easier on the eyes. The sequels look just as good, if not better.

I also think the gameplay holds up, though I might be in the minority here.

k_hop

Early 3D games that have aged well are very few and far between in my book. People have mentioned Starfox 64 and I think I'll agree to that, but the overall texture quality on the N64 was still pretty poor compared to the PSX, which had larger storage for clearer / bigger textures. Games on PSX generally seemed to have higher framerates too (the framerate on some N64 games is just abysmal, and the resolution is ridiculously blurry / small).

MGS1 is a pretty good example of an early 3D console game that hasn't aged atrociously. It has sort of a comic book-y vibe to its art direction.

metalgearsolidscreenshot1180609580.jpg

That must be some kind of redesign because I don't remember DK64 looking that good.

Probably running a hi-res texture pack on an emulator.

Huh. What the heck. there weren't such big rupees in MM.

Yeah there was, if you killed the crow that always stole your equipment it dropped that huge rupee, worth a couple of hundred rupees, can't remember exactly. And just for confirmation if you notice the location of that large rupee, that is right next to the tree where the crow hangs out.

Top Bottom