• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D gaming /Movies/ Broadcast TV are coming. What do I need to know?

Since glasses-less 3D is becoming a reality now (with smaller displays for now). It won't be long till the displays get bigger, and in 3 years perhaps, we might not even need glasses?
I'm not sure, but I think glasses will become redundant very soon.

Man

Dabookerman said:
Since glasses-less 3D is becoming a reality now (with smaller displays for now). It won't be long till the displays get bigger, and in 3 years perhaps, we might not even need glasses?
Glass less 3D has been doable for years now for single users (or a bunch of heads crammed together). No one has really discovered a fine way to do glass less 3D for multiple users with good depth and with a wide viewing angle.

Ten years.

chixdiggit

The sets out now are not 3D TVs but 3D "ready" TVs. This means you have to buy the separate peripheral (the $400 Blu-Ray player) to even make them work.

They did the same thing with HD "ready" TVs. Sold a bunch of sets that could not display HD on their own just to release the real thing a short while later.

Also, there is no standard on the glasses as of yet. The Samsung glasses will not work with the Panasonic set for example.

Seems pretty obvious to wait the whole 3D thing out for a while. Still, I am very tempted to pick one up.

Dabookerman said:

There's no currently available or in development technologies that look capable of solving this atm. I wouldn't hold your breath. 10 years is about the best you can hope for.

Man

chixdiggit said:
Also, there is no standard on the glasses as of yet. The Samsung glasses will not work with the Panasonic set for example.
The Blu-ray 3D standard is display agnostic. If you're viewing it on a projector that uses passive glasses, a screen that uses active or on a laptop with an autostereoscopic display does not matter one bit to the Blu-ray player, that's up to the device receiving the HDMI signal.

There will be heaps of different glass and 3D methods like there are heaps of different screen technologies today. Games so far (Nvidia 3D and Avatar on console) has a handful of different 3D signals as an option but it could be that Sony with the PS3 will just take use of the same channel/protocol as Blu-ray movies.

Snakeyes

brain_stew said:
Then you're not buying a display in the next decade.

Don't really mind since I got myself a nice Panny plasma during the last holiday season. If I do buy one 3D will not be the selling point.

Man

I don't have screengrab/camera atm but in the latest Qore (PS Store) there is a really well done article on 3D where they travel to several different locations talking to different people explaining this new 3D wave.

There is a photo section in the mag with one explanatory image from BlitzGamesStudios on the 'Four types of 3D' and it explains everything. I've been trying googling for it with no success. Someone should screengrab it from the April Qore and bring it into this thread.

Man

I discovered that Qore has a built in photomode so I could save a jpg to the XMB. I only have a free edition of photobucket so the image is rescaled to 1024x576:

Qore.png

Seems like active shutter glasses w/LCD is the best option today. In about three years I guess ultra-sharp Oled will be out with support for passive glasses. Then ten-fifteen years for someone to actually having invented a proper auto-stereoscopic method.

Please tell me that the basic TV requirements for the Nvidia and PS3 options are the same. I mean, if my TV can do the Nvidia 3D will it also be compatible to do 3D for PS3?

Man

BudokaiMR2 said:
Please tell me that the basic TV requirements for the Nvidia and PS3 options are the same. I mean, if my TV can do the Nvidia 3D will it also be compatible to do 3D for PS3?
Maybe. If the TV company releases a 3D ir emitter that works with your screen (unless you happen to have a TV that supports passive glasses, very unlikely).

PC w/Nvidia 3D has the emitter attached to it (USB). You only need a TV which accepts 120hz input in this case.

PS3 sends 3D signal through HDMI for whatever other device to handle the 3D images.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
BudokaiMR2 said:

It all really depends on if Sony allows it. Right now, there are about 4 million people out there with Mitsubishi/Samsung "3D-ready" TVs sold in the past 3 years. These TVs don't have quite the same hardware for processing 3D. As a result, Mitsubishi is releasing an adapter this spring that allows for the 3D signal to be converted to the checkerboard format that works with these televisions. They've already guaranteed it will work with DirecTV and 3D blu-ray players, but, unfortunately, have not said anything about Sony and the PS3.

My guess is that Sony doesn't allow it as it could take away sales from their new 3D sets coming this year.

Man

Plinko said:
My guess is that Sony doesn't allow it as it could take away sales from their new 3D sets coming this year.
My guess is that Sony will 'allow it' because I believe they will use the same protocol as Blu-ray 3D.

Man said:
Glass less 3D has been doable for years now for single users (or a bunch of heads crammed together). No one has really discovered a fine way to do glass less 3D for multiple users with good depth and with a wide viewing angle.

Ten years.

From what I understand, the glasses free 3D tech showed on the INTEL booth at the last CES allowed multiple people to experience it, one or two in front - which is fine for home use pre kids :) - but also from 7 other specific places in the room. Perfect if you ask me. And the reports I red were very surprised with the overall quality (especially depth)...
The most positive one being from endgadget: "Take note, TV / content makers -- glasses free > glasses-required"

I am not a technical expert, my field is marketing/communication, so I cannot argue on the 10 years' thing, although it seems a bit pessimistic.

Still, I personnally don't see 3D with glasses becoming a standard, ever, for home use, or anywhere outside of theatres...

The consumer benefit - 3D - is not enough compared to the negative stuff - the silly looking glasses on your nose - for a mainstream user.... After all, Nvidia tech is there in the market for more than a year, with (more than) confidential results...

At the end of the day, TV channels will decide what technology lives, and how. Given their content, I believe the glasses free route is more likely.

Just an opinion...

spwolf

Apparently prices wont be bad... around 3k for top notch tv and everything else you need. And thats right now, without everyone introducing their displays (which will happen within 2 months). I think 3D TV will become reality quite soon.

Man

GalacticSushiman said:
From what I understand, the glasses free 3D tech showed on the INTEL booth at the last CES allowed multiple people to experience it, one or two in front - which is fine for home use pre kids :) - but also from 7 other specific places in the room. Perfect if you ask me. And the reports I red were very surprised with the overall quality.
Fine for one or two is a big limiter. That sounds like ParallaxBarrier (8 directional). Not ideal.

What will most likely happen is: Early buyers will 'suffer' with active shutter glasses (recharging needed) and then in three years or so we will see passive glasses really widen the adaption. Then proper auto-stereo in ten-fifteen years (I mean, they don't have a satisfactory auto-stereo solution even in the testing stage today. It's all just quad resolutions stripped down, specific angles..etc).

Man said:
Fine for one or two is a big limiter. That sounds like ParallaxBarrier (8 directional). Not ideal.

What will most likely happen is: Early buyers will 'suffer' with active shutter glasses (recharging needed) and then in three years or so we will see passive glasses really widen the adaption. Then proper auto-stereo in ten-fifteen years (I mean, they don't have a satisfactory auto-stereo solution even in the testing stage today. It's all just quad resolutions stripped down, specific angles..etc).

Agreed, 8 directions and low res are big issues for sure.

Again, I don't want to argue on tech stuff, I just don't know, but I still think that widening the use of home 3D glasses (being active of passive) to the mainstream seems unlikely to me generally speaking...

jsnepo

I got a chance to try out the 3D capabilities of the PS3. The games that were shown were all just videos though. MSPR and SSHD were the only footage that impressed me. MSPR is really awesome in 3D.

Kinan

Man said:
I discovered that Qore has a built in photomode so I could save a jpg to the XMB. I only have a free edition of photobucket so the image is rescaled to 1024x576:

Seems like active shutter glasses w/LCD is the best option today. In about three years I guess ultra-sharp Oled will be out with support for passive glasses. Then ten-fifteen years for someone to actually having invented a proper auto-stereoscopic method.

Can you please upload a full res pic to tinypic, text is unreadable at this res. :p

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Man said:
My guess is that Sony will 'allow it' because I believe they will use the same protocol as Blu-ray 3D.

The problem, though, is that there isn't any 3D standard yet developed. Sony has already talked about needing HDMI 1.4--something which the 3D-ready TV's don't have. They'd have to program a workaround for the PS3 to work with Mitsubishi's upcoming converter.

Man

Plinko said:
The problem, though, is that there isn't any 3D standard yet developed. Sony has already talked about needing HDMI 1.4--something which the 3D-ready TV's don't have. They'd have to program a workaround for the PS3 to work with Mitsubishi's upcoming converter.
I'm not sure what you mean with a 3D standard (as the delivery method is up to each device). HDMI 1.4 is the s3D signal-delivery standard going forward (for Blu-ray and consoles).

TV's that proclaimed 3D readiness until now (without HDMI 1.4 upgrade capability or without a programmable HDMI 1.3 chip like the PS3) came out too soon for Blu-ray 3D (and seemingly PS3 and next-gen consoles). That concerns a few Mitsubishi screens and it sucks for those who jumped on it before the Blu-ray standard was agreed upon.

jiggles

Banned
I just bought a 1080p set for the lounge 18 months ago, so I'm in no hurry to upgrade that, but I am very interested in a 3D monitor I can hook my PS3 up to for the bedroom.

Are there any monitors available right now, or soon, that supports 3D over HDMI at 1080p? I spent a while looking today, but it's all very confusing. (I'm assuming the double-frames that any HDMI device pumps out are just a standard that any 3D display can handle, is that right?)

Plinko

Man said:
I'm not sure what you mean with a 3D standard (as the delivery method is up to each device). HDMI 1.4 is the s3D signal-delivery standard going forward (for Blu-ray and consoles).

TV's that proclaimed 3D readiness until now (without HDMI 1.4 upgrade capability or without a programmable HDMI 1.3 chip like the PS3) came out too soon for Blu-ray 3D (and seemingly PS3 and next-gen consoles). That concerns a few Mitsubishi screens and it sucks for those who jumped on it before the Blu-ray standard was agreed upon.

Concerns over 4 million, actually. Not really "a few."

That said, there's really no reason the converter couldn't have HDMI 1.4 and the system could pass through the converter.

Durante

Man said:
Seems like active shutter glasses w/LCD is the best option today.
Why LCD? It's actually the worst option for frame sequential (active shutter) 3D, because of ghosting induced by response time issues with some color combinations. DLP and Plasma don't have that problem -- though the latter has a smaller problem with phosphor lag. Purely in terms of 3D image quality DLP is probably the best until we get 120Hz OLED screens.

jigglywiggly said:
Are there any monitors available right now, or soon, that supports 3D over HDMI at 1080p?
This Alienware, but I don't know if it supports the HDMI 1.4 standards or just the NV encoding (which is simply 120 Hz and IMHO makes more sense than all the crazy HDMI formats :p).

cakefoo

I bought a 22" iz3d monitor out of curiosity (I have 45 days to take it back to Walmart). I read about the ghosting beforehand, but I was thinking, "How bad could it really be? I don't mind a little ghosting like I've seen on Sony/Samsung's in-store 3dtv demos if it's only $300. I don't expect Panasonic plasma quality from it."

But it turns out the ghosting is really about as bad as a $.25 pair of anaglyph glasses. Looking through one eye, there was a very defined double image. The only marked improvement over anaglyph was the color accuracy, obviously.

I wasn't about to re-unbox the monitor and set it up again to take offscreen photos to demonstrate the issue, but I did find an excellent post on the Rage3D boards.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1335824690&postcount=117

Image as seen through one lens: (ignore the glare of the window on the right)

IMG_1178.jpg

You guys should know that refresh rate is a very important thing for active shutter.

120 hz tv means just 60 frames per eye BLINKING and its VERY VERY NOTICEABLE.
To me that is a poor experience I hate seeing all the "white stuff" blink like mad around my TV area.

*** If possible try out a 3D TV doing 240 or 480 since that hides the blinky effect.
I am not sure all Bravia's do this but they have high refresh rate Bravia's as well.

Top Bottom