• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DM claim to have cracked Denuvo

ChryZ

I, for one, will simply avoid all titles that use Denovo and pick them up in a couple of years when they're 75-80% off on sale and PC hardware is at a point were I'm not paying for upgrades just to support some Publisher's boneheaded anti-tempering control freak fantasies.

Foffy

Banned
For me? Yep.

I want to be able to continue playing the games I purchased in another couple of decades, thanks just like how ROM preservation of classic consoles has ensured I will never lose access to my classic titles if the carts fail.

Why, as a consumer, should I care about anyone other than myself? Sorry, its a selfish view but I don't care.

While selfish, it's true.

These are products for consumption. The consumers interests are the ideal, because if they go, this whole optional medium can fuck off into a hole. As such, the consumer should be forced to go through as few loops as possible to enjoy said products, and if it involves DRM and authentication, especially of old games with a dead server, circumvention is not only ideal, but necessary.

If we're talking about present day products and piracy, that's different. I sit on the fence of "try to make a game that can get a userbase to sustain it, regardless of circumventions." If a person wants to pirate a game, I doubt them having to wait X months or weeks will really sway them on buying it; they'll have something else to do with their time instead. As such, these measures really only stop the niche of niches in a sense, unless you play the "download = sale" card, and for that you should be laughed at. That's almost as bad as a "playing a song on the radio for your friends = stolen song for all of those who didn't buy it" kind of shit the RIAA was doing a decade ago.

MUnited83

For you.
There will be nothing to preserve if publishers skip PC versions because of piracy.

I may be devil's advocate here, but if Denuvo or other anti-tamper solution results in more PC games, I'm happy to have it in every game, I don't care.

In a world where GTA V manages to sell over 4 million copies alone on Steam, and probably another 4 or more millions in non-steam copies despite being cracked since day one, I don't buy the whole "skipping PC because of piracy". Couple it with the fact that more and more games get PC versions every year without the need for intrusive DRM, and success stories like Dragon's Dogma, that sold almost 300 000 in less than a month despite being pirated 1 week in advance... and it's a excuse that does not holp up in the slightest.

There will be nothing to preserve if publishers skip PC versions because of piracy.

I may be devil's advocate here, but if Denuvo or other anti-tamper solution results in more PC games, I'm happy to have it in every game, I don't care.

Consoles sooner or later end up emulated.., so it's still posible to preserve console exclusives as well.

Nowadays develop for consoles is very similar to pc, so I don't think company cares too much if the cost is almost the same, they will not lose money for a bunch of pirates.

synce

Awesome news. The only reason I tolerate Steam DRM is because at least Valve offers nice features. Denuvo is just cancer.

holygeesus

Banned
Years will pass until someone comes up with a new "uncrackable" DRM solution, just take a look at the past.

I don't think they will though. They 'cracked' a previous iteration didn't they? I'm sure Dragon Age: Inquisition had a crack come out a while after release, but like all other methods, it was unreliable at best. It's just a game of cat and mouse that will never end. As long as big releases aren't cracked immediately after release (or before in some cases) company will still splash out the cash on it, as the first few weeks are crucial for game sales.

wtf is "Tomb Raider: The Rise"?

johnny-rotten-public-image-ltd.jpg

/not obscure

jmga

I don't think they will though. They 'cracked' a previous iteration didn't they? I'm sure Dragon Age: Inquisition had a crack come out a while after release, but like all other methods, it was unreliable at best. It's just a game of cat and mouse that will never end. As long as big releases aren't cracked immediately after release (or before in some cases) company will still splash out the cash on it, as the first few weeks are crucial for game sales.

They didn't, they found a exploit that allowed bypassing the DRM but Denuvo was still there. And that exploit was fixed later.

XCOM 2 just sold 600.000 units in its first week and was on every torrent site since first day, and it is a purely single player game, food for pirates.

Companies someday will realize stopping piracy is less effective to increasing sales(if it does increase sales at all) than releasing a good product.

Maffis

Im one of those that dont care about Denuvo. If a game is good enough for me I will buy it and if it isnt I'll just ignore it. Denuvo doesn't hurt performance at all and the ones complaining about it are just uninformed or mad they can't pirate. In any case, I admit that hearing the cries from the people that think they deserve to play free games while the majority use their own money to support the developers and publishers, is very satisfying.

Mifec

Im one of those that dont care about Denuvo. If a game is good enough for me I will buy it and if it isnt I'll just ignore it. Denuvo doesn't hurt performance at all and the ones complaining about it are just uninformed or mad they can't pirate. In any case, I admit that hearing the cries from the people that think they deserve to play free games while the majority use their own money to support the developers and publishers, is very satisfying.

People that say this are just dumb or uninformed. (this is pretty easy)

You have examples in this very thread about why people legitimately dislike this type of DRM.

Lanrutcon

So here we have a shitty post.

You're either pro Denuvo, stupid or a stinky pirate, eh?

holygeesus

Banned
They didn't, they found a exploit that allowed bypassing the DRM but Denuvo was still there. And that exploit was fixed later.

XCOM 2 just sold 600.000 units in its first week and was on every torrent site since first day, and it is a purely single player game, food for pirates.

Companies someday will realize stopping piracy is less effective to increasing sales(if it does increase sales at all) than releasing a good product.

So you are saying, had XCOM 2 Denuvo protection, it would have sold less? I don't buy that (ba-doom tish)

jmga

So you are saying, had XCOM 2 Denuvo protection, it would have sold less? I don't buy that (ba-doom tish)

Maybe it would have sold more, maybe it would have sold less(no study has shown a correlation between piracy and sales).

But the argument of DRM as a need for PC games to sell well at launch is more than debunked.

holygeesus

Banned
Maybe it would have sold more, maybe it would have sold less(no study has shown a correlation between piracy and sales).

But the argument of DRM as a need for PC games to sell well at launch is more than debunked.

It's all about the financials though isn't it. If it is going to cost them x amount to license Denuvo, they must weigh up whether the loss of sales, due to people pirating the game, is going to be worth paying for it. I just don't believe that more people actively avoid Denuvo-ed games, than steal them, so they will always be losing sales.

Given the established fan-base of a game like XCom 2 - couldn't you argue those sales aren't that great?

Hektor

Given the fact that XCOM 2 is so successful because of the outstanding modsupport that would be severly hampered by denuvo, i can tell you for a fact it would have sold less on its launch and it would sell a lot less over the coming years because mods are what keeps this kind of game and its stable sales alive for multiple years.

jmga

It's all about the financials though isn't it. If it is going to cost them x amount to license Denuvo, they must weigh up whether the loss of sales, due to people pirating the game, is going to be worth paying for it. I just don't believe that more people actively avoid Denuvo-ed games, than steal them, so they will always be losing sales.

Given the established fan-base of a game like XCom 2 - couldn't you argue those sales aren't that great?

Not everything is financials, a game with Denuvo has less value than a DRM-Free one, and it is a less quality software. It is also about consumer loyalty.

And no, 600.000 units in its first week is great, game will probably sell millions with the years.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
ChryZ said:
The honest consumers once again gets dicked over with something that wastes precious resources (cpu cycles and ram) ... and for what? Nothing! :\
Again, the source post is 95% gibberish mixed with a few facts.

Pointing a finger at virtualization and complaining how it affects performance in protected software is analogue to those health-food blogs complaining about food "chemicals" just because they have scary names.

Lanrutcon

Lord no. XCom is a turn based strategy/management game, and those are niche. For it to being doing as well as it is speaks volumes, but it'll never be huge. It's doing amazingly well for what it is.

Plus the established fan-base of Xcom is firmly split between the original games and the modern ones. While there is obviously overlap, there's also a chunky divide.

Durante

careful man this is a spotlight for the vehemently anti-piracy brigade to come in and start asking why people are pieces of shit who enjoy stealing work (even though disliking drm =/= loving pirates)
At that point I just show them my library of hundreds of games, and the Kickstarter projects I've backed for hundreds of dollars.

Gemüsepizza;194985665 said:
Right, gotta love the stance some brave publishers take on DRM. Because it allows users to fix their horrible releases, riddled with bugs and mistakes. That is so pro-consumer! /s
I don't care about intentions in this case. I care about results. And whether it's through publisher neglect or conviction (e.g. CDPR), if the result is a DRM-free game I'm enthused about it.

What about the legitimate concerns of people who buy hundreds of games and care deeply about the medium?

ChryZ

Again, the source post is 95% gibberish mixed with a few facts.

Pointing a finger at virtualization and complaining how it affects performance in protected software is analogue to those health-food blogs complaining about food "chemicals" just because they have scary names.
Well, it's all we got so far and until there's more information I'll trust neither the publisher nor the hacker. Better safe than sorry. Cheers for the heads up.

Fractal

Banned
No surprises, such things are inevitable. If a single DRM becomes too popular and everyone starts to use it, more and more people will have a try at it, and sooner or later a solution will be found. Denuvo wasn't the first "uncrackable" DRM, and it sure won't be the last.

As for the arguments how piracy is hurting the PC support in general, I just can't see it. In fact, I don't think there ever was a time when the PC was getting this much developer support. For example, I never would've thought I'd see the day when I can play practically the entire FF series on the PC. As such, I'm more in favor with the anti-DRM arguments... as a consumer, I like having the piece of mind knowing my game purchase doesn't contain something which could cause immediate performance issues or compatibility issues down the line due to OS changes, etc, while the same thing doesn't provide any proven or noticeable benefit to me. I find DRM clients like Steam and similar perfectly agreeable, but I can't say the same for additional "exotic" layers of DRM.

L.O.R.D

Good.

Game preservation is more important than anything else.

I have near 200 steam titles I would like to be able to continue playing in ten/twenty years. Denovo and the like was a worrying precedent against that.

they mostly gonna drop the DRM after 5 years, or when the company no longer available.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Apparently the 'crack' is out, but not by 3DM, but by SKIDROW, and it's what I predicted it would be. A 'solution' and not a fully working Denuvo crack.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Durante said:
What about the legitimate concerns of people who buy hundreds of games and care deeply about the medium?
That's fair - but given that a rather large portion of the medium (financially speaking, vast majority of it) is service based now, DRM is a pretty minor issue when it comes to preservation. And if you listen to cloud-proponents, local content should be abandoned alltogether.
Ironically, it's the new mediums like VR that stand the best chance to reverse the trends for people that care about physical and DRM-free stuff - at least temporarily.

ChryZ said:
Well, it's all we got so far and until there's more information I'll trust neither the publisher nor the hacker.
I get that, but the original post from reddit was practically asking for a witch-hunt on code-Virtualization, which is more than a little silly considering tools like VMProtect are at least half a decade old now, and have been used in shipping games much longer than its publicly advertised.

samn

Great. So now companies are going to try even harder to make games uncrackable, resulting in more and more DRM for the general end user.

It's a never ending vicious circle.

I don't see why this would be the case? Denuvo hasn't been around for long, and for a couple of years we had pretty much universal, reasonable, ineffective DRM on single player games.

Apparently the 'crack' is out, but not by 3DM, but by SKIDROW,

Well then it's not the crack being discussed in this thread, is it?

DRM/Anti-Tamper/Whatever very often doesn't get dropped, even when it doesn't serve any purpose longer. GfWL is the best example, and games like Crysis 1 is still sold with Securom (the devs couldn't be bothered to patch it out, so they just raised maximum number of activations).

Mohasus

Apparently the 'crack' is out, but not by 3DM, but by SKIDROW, and it's what I predicted it would be. A 'solution' and not a fully working Denuvo crack.

Because that has nothing to do with this thread. It isn't even the real SKIDROW.

"We have about 10 copies of the game, and that allows about 50-100 users to start the game/day. Once user starts the game, he can continue playing without ANY problem. We will add more copies and that will allow more users to start the game without any error."

Haha.

luca_29_bg

They are not the real skidrow, and they are using a workaround from another guy. It's not so much different than family sharing.

Real skidrow is not connected with that site, same for 3DM.

Krabboss

While there's no way of knowing, my gut tells me that sales would not improve significantly if piracy went away.

I'm going to guess pirates aren't more dedicated to finishing games than people who buy them. We know from achievement lists and memes about backlogs (as well as some scattered statements from publishers here and there) that very few people finish games. I am sure even in the case of pirates, these giant AAA games just eat up hard drive space in their downloads folder.

So my guess is if piracy went away, people without much expendable cash would just skip these games rather than pay full retail price for whatever the latest action adventure game with light RPG elements is.

Also I know Undertale has been one of the most seeded games on torrent sites since its release and it was still very successful. I'm sure sometime in the near future we will hear what a success Xcom 2 has been for Firaxis.

The point is I'm not that concerned.

Durante

That's fair - but given that a rather large portion of the medium (financially speaking, vast majority of it) is service based now, DRM is a pretty minor issue when it comes to preservation. And if you listen to cloud-proponents, local content should be abandoned alltogether.
Ironically, it's the new mediums like VR that stand the best chance to reverse the trends for people that care about physical and DRM-free stuff - at least temporarily.
I've written about exactly that before.

VR isn't just fantastic because of its inherent qualities, it also saves us from the cloud dystopia!

(And cloud proponents who believe that local content should be abandoned altogether should just bugger off)

Foffy

Banned
Given the fact that XCOM 2 is so successful because of the outstanding modsupport that would be severly hampered by denuvo, i can tell you for a fact it would have sold less on its launch and it would sell a lot less over the coming years because mods are what keeps this kind of game and its stable sales alive for multiple years.

Bohemia's ArmA games are the same. This is also not considering the fact that because they update the game nearly every day on devbranch, you're almost at a disservice for pirating the game.

DRM in many ways is a hindrance, especially regarding products that value their consumers far beyond just playing content made by the developer.

It's sad because of piracy, but kinda good when we think about long-term games preservation.

That will be relevant in about 10 years, but not now.

Most "games preservation sites" that are operate as close as they can off the books use a ~10 year "safe year" for what can be uploaded.

For stuff before then preservation is really important, but within that 10 years not so much.

prudislav

That will be relevant in about 10 years, but not now.

Most "games preservation sites" that are operate as close as they can off the books use a ~10 year "safe year" for what can be uploaded.

For stuff before then preservation is really important, but within that 10 years not so much.
not really ... in case of games 10 years is way too much...
... look at GfWL for example 4 years ago you could buy stuff on their marketplace without a problem .... now you can't even download your bought games and at least i my case I can't even run legally steam version of GTA4 on Win10 without the use of xliveless (which is crack)

or even previous protection from Denuvo creators aka Securom ..... you cant legally play those games without messing with win security stuff or applying cracks

wutwutwut

If you pull a PS4 off the shelf and pop in Bloodborne in 2050, you almost certainly should be able to play it.

Good luck with any of these PC games with remote-server activation.

8-bit NES had DRM also, but it's strictly hardware DRM that only depends on the console and the game itself. The same sort of applies now to modern consoles. Doesn't depend on a remote server saying "yes, you actually have the right to use this property."
So? It's still DRM. Not being able to create backups is literally DRM. What if your cat scratches your disc? What if your house burns down? What if there's a robbery? At least with Steam your games are safe since every game has a cloud backup.

They're different kinds of DRM, sure, but saying that console games don't have DRM is obviously absurd.

Top Bottom