• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS December Update Thread

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Thanks!
One more question: In North America, how far back do games have codes in them? I know the program wasn't started until 2008 here but could I still get points on, say, Gamecube games or early DS games?

Wii or early DS games -- yes. GameCube and GBA had registration codes, but they aren't worth any points on Club Nintendo.

If you want to verify which games are eligible, check out the Club Nintendo Coin spreadsheet I put together (with lots of help from Clipper): http://codebook.potchgult.com/clubnintendo

Wow, more people really DO have 3DS's. First day with the new update and walking around with my 3DS and I got 3 streetpasses. I normally only got 1 or 2 a week (downtown Seattle/UW area). Of course now that I'm graduating I wont get nearly as many. D:

I'll never get all the new hats. ;_;

Tyeforce

Did anyone else not get any new StreetPass Puzzles? Do you have to unlock them first or something?
You have to have finished all of the original panels first. And if you've done that, you need to activate SpotPass for StreetPass Mii Plaza so you can receive a SpotPass message to start the new Puzzle Swap panels and Find Mii II.

BooJoh

I didn't finish all the original puzzles and I got the Pilotwings puzzle with the pink pieces in the middle. The two puzzles I had before were completed though, so I was at a standstill with just play coins to go on.

Javier

Could be wrong on this, but I think you have to unlock Find Mii 2 to get a new puzzle since starting Find Mii 2 for the first time triggers the SpotPass update.

M3d10n

FWIW, the Nintendo Zone I hit up at Best Buy informed me I could browse the Internet.

I wasn't going to, because really who wants to stand in the video game aisle browsing the web, but they do seem to be Internet-connected.

I would expect that they had some sort of identifier but pulled data from some centrally-hosted place. The coupon I "saved" (I assume bookmarked) could be re-retrieved at home.

What I meant is that some of the Nintendo Zone data is probably not online, but hosted in the hotspot gateway itself. As example, if you run a web-server on your wifi LAN at home you can access it from the 3DS browser using a local address but you cannot access it from another wifi access point because the data only exists in your own LAN (I do this to easily transfer pictures between the 3DS and my PC via wifi).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Could be wrong on this, but I think you have to unlock Find Mii 2 to get a new puzzle since starting Find Mii 2 for the first time triggers the SpotPass update.
Not necessary at all. I never completed Find Mii or any of the previous puzzles but I have one of the new puzzles. All you have to do is update the firmware then start Puzzle Swap.

What exactly is the point of having anyone you've met online show up in your plaza? They can't help you with Find Mii or give you Puzzle pieces, so why?

zigg

What exactly is the point of having anyone you've met online show up in your plaza? They can't help you with Find Mii or give you Puzzle pieces, so why?
Because it's fun?

I have a bunch of people from nintendogs I got during E3 that fit in this slot, and I enjoy having them there, even if they never fought for me explicitly.

ShinNL

What I meant is that some of the Nintendo Zone data is probably not online, but hosted in the hotspot gateway itself. As example, if you run a web-server on your wifi LAN at home you can access it from the 3DS browser using a local address but you cannot access it from another wifi access point because the data only exists in your own LAN (I do this to easily transfer pictures between the 3DS and my PC via wifi).
Hackers should work on this so we can play MH3G demo >:D

Effect

It's why I turned that feature off. Totally pointless if you can't do anything with them. I rather that space be for the few Miis from the people or store units I was lucky enough to come across. Just glad I turned it off and deleted the people that showed up as a result of Mario Kart 7 before they became to many.

DarkWish

Anyone have a full list of hats? I've only seen a handful of new hats listed. Here's a list I've been compiling of every hat...

Mario’s Cap
Luigi’s Cap
Peach’s Crown
???
Yoshi Hat
???
???
???
Toad Hat
???
???
Bowser Hat
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
Red Pikmin Hat
Blue Pikmin Hat
Yellow Pikmin Hat
Link’s Cap
???
Epona Hat
Samus’s Helmet
Metroid Hat
Kirby Hat
Donkey Kong Hat
Arwing Hat
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
Cheeseburger Hat
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
Floral Hat
???
Top Hat
Pirate Hat
???
Ninja Hood
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
Cat Ears
Dog Ears
Bunny Ears
Regal Crown
Prince’s Crown
???
Ultimate Helmet
???
???

Does anyone know more of the missing hats from the list?

Greymanic

Neo Member
Anyone have a full list of hats? I've only seen a handful of new hats listed. Here's a list I've been compiling of every hat...

Mario’s Cap
Luigi’s Cap
Peach’s Crown
???
Yoshi Hat
???
???
???
Toad Hat
???
???
Bowser Hat
???
???
???
???
???
Pipe Hat
???
Red Pikmin Hat
Blue Pikmin Hat
Yellow Pikmin Hat
Link’s Cap
???
Epona Hat
Samus’s Helmet
Metroid Hat
Kirby Hat
Donkey Kong Hat
Arwing Hat
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
Tomato Hat
Cheeseburger Hat
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
Floral Hat
???
Top Hat
Pirate Hat
???
Ninja Hood
???
???
???
???
???
???
???
Penguin Hat
Cat Ears
Dog Ears
Bunny Ears
Regal Crown
Prince’s Crown
???
Ultimate Helmet
???
???

Does anyone know more of the missing hats from the list?

Updated your list with a few I've got.

Luigison

I don't recall the video's title, but there is a video on youtube from a guy that used the date change cheat to supposedly get all the hats.

Boney

Banned
Just got a Mario 3D Land SpotPass saying that demos are gonna be available via select stores.

Fucking nintendo

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Just got a Mario 3D Land SpotPass saying that demos are gonna be available via select stores.

Fucking nintendo

Everybody owns 3D Land already - i need demos for 3rd party titles.

You have to have finished all of the original panels first. And if you've done that, you need to activate SpotPass for StreetPass Mii Plaza so you can receive a SpotPass message to start the new Puzzle Swap panels and Find Mii II.

I'm pretty sure I have completed all of the Puzzle Swap panels that were available before the update. And I had beaten the dungeon twice. Can anyone in Canada confirm that they've gotten these new puzzles?

BooJoh

Fucking nintendo

I already have 3D Land, but was excited for demos of any sort. I started reading the SpotPass and was like "You can play a demo of this game..." :D "...at select retail stores" :|

I was really hoping the NA eShop was getting demos.

Fucking nintendo

It doesn't say demos. It says there's a SM3DL demo at retailers. We've known that for over a month. Many people here played the SM3DL demo weeks before the game came out at Best Buy. This is how stupid rumors get started.

What? Lame. Are you sure this isn't just for SML3D?

Watch for a Kotaku story going up soon called, "North American eShop will not have demos" followed by a GAF thread called, "3DS demos only available at retailers". Now you've really done it, Boney.

Tyeforce

did the recent update fix the average play time? seems if you close the system, it considers your session done.
Huh? No, as long as the software is still running, it still counts as the same session, no matter how many times you close your system or go to the Home Menu. Your session doesn't end until you close the software or turn off the system. That's how it's always been, and that's how it still is.

Gravijah

Huh? No, as long as the software is still running, it still counts as the same session, no matter how many times you close your system or go to the Home Menu. Your session doesn't end until you close the software or turn off the system. That's how it's always been, and that's how it still is.

i don't see how i've closed mario kart completely 30+ times, though. i usually just leave it up. hrrrrm.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm pretty sure I have completed all of the Puzzle Swap panels that were available before the update. And I had beaten the dungeon twice. Can anyone in Canada confirm that they've gotten these new puzzles?
I got a new one.

zigg

I rather that space be for the few Miis from the people or store units I was lucky enough to come across.
Is there actually an upper limit? I have hundreds in my plaza (mostly Plaza StreetPasses, granted; but some of them were invited from nintendogs) and I'm pretty sure I don't have to worry about a limit...

Effect

Is there actually an upper limit? I have hundreds in my plaza (mostly Plaza StreetPasses, granted; but some of them were invited from nintendogs) and I'm pretty sure I don't have to worry about a limit...

It's not even about there being to many and not any room for others. It's just that to get rid of them you have to delete them one by one and that can take a lot of time. Which is why I'm glad I changed the settings before it got out of hand.

My 3DS battery life has gone to shit since around the time Mario came out. UFO leave it in sleep mode it can easily be dead in a few hours.

SM3DL presents?
Haven't gotten any presents from them.

Because it's fun?

I have a bunch of people from nintendogs I got during E3 that fit in this slot, and I enjoy having them there, even if they never fought for me explicitly.
I don't see what's fun about it. Why wouldn't people at E3 be able to help you? Wouldn't those be standard streetpasses?
It's so you can get Accomplishments!
Well that's kind of lame.

BooJoh

The hats you get...can you put them on your Mii's? I got a Mario hat and can't figure out how to put it on my Mii

Put the cursor over your Mii then press A. You can customize some information there as well as change the hats.

Bear in mind, the hats are only visible in the StreetPass Mii Plaza app. Your Mii won't be wearing the hat in Mario Kart or Pilotwings etc.

Bear in mind, the hats are only visible in the StreetPass Mii Plaza app. Your Mii won't be wearing the hat in Mario Kart or Pilotwings etc.

Which is disappointing. There's so many cool hats and you can only see them in the Plaza.

You can buy battery packs for $15 at Nintendo's store if you need them, guys. https://store.nintendo.com/ They also sell battery cover kits for $7.

I just niticed they have a few VC games for Wii on sale there too. https://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/DigitalCategory?storeId=10002

zigg

I don't see what's fun about it. Why wouldn't people at E3 be able to help you? Wouldn't those be standard streetpasses?
I guess they could, technically speaking, since they have a shirt color and all... they wouldn't have puzzle pieces, since that's part of the Mii Plaza game. However, if invitees from online games suddenly became eligible as Find Mii heroes, then that would really kind of deal a heavy blow StreetPassing, as many people wouldn't feel the need to bring their 3DSes out any longer.

I don't have MK7 (kind of bored with Mario Kart in general), but I'd think it'd be kind of neat to have people I've played with take up residence in my 3DS, just as a collection. I'm still a little mind-blown that invitees' very presence is so offensive there are people turning invitations off, but whatever.

Top Bottom