• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS December Update Thread

Desiato

Does anyone know about the Spotpass puzzel pieces? Are we gonna get them through Wifi-hotspots every now and then, or do we need to get them from those Nintendo Station things?

I know somebody who has like fifty XBLA demos and that's all she plays (says it's enough time for each one). It's kind of bizarre.

As someone who played the Red Faction & Just Cause 2 demos enough to feel that I didn't need to buy the games themselves, Nintendo is wise in handling it the way they are.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I know somebody who has like fifty XBLA demos and that's all she plays (says it's enough time for each one). It's kind of bizarre.
I keep some demos to revisit sometimes, especially if they're specially made for that, or have some rankings, etc, but mostly to show off to others who might like them.
Also the oddball Japanese demos are fun to keep around.

AbsoluteZero said:
As someone who played the Red Faction & Just Cause 2 demos enough to feel that I didn't need to buy the games themselves, Nintendo is wise in handling it the way they are.
And those same demos have sold those games to friends of mine.

Just like every demo ever. You either like them enough to buy. Or you realize you don't want them.

And those same demos have sold those games to friends of mine.

Just like every demo ever. You either like them enough to buy. Or you realize you don't want them.

But the demos were meaty enough that I felt like I could save $60 and just play them over and over and have just as much fun.

Alright, dug the my Red 3DS out of my trunk this morning after it's been in there nearly a month.

Might break the seal on it tonight...though I might just wait until I can find a crystal case for it first.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Hate to quote myself, but .... anyone?

I don't know what you're asking. If you want to know whether they support sleep mode, I have no idea, because I can't download any right now. If you want to know whether you can download 'em while in sleep mode, the answer is yes - the SpotPass download queue covers everything that's in the eShop, demos included.

I don't know what you're asking. If you want to know whether they support sleep mode, I have no idea, because I can't download any right now. If you want to know whether you can download 'em while in sleep mode, the answer is yes - the SpotPass download queue covers everything that's in the eShop, demos included.

Ah sorry, I meant does anyone know if sleep mode works whilst in a demo, or if you can suspend them. Because basically, one play could last as long as you keep the 3DS charged if that's the case. Although obviously, I would imagine the demos would be extremely limited or timed even if you could do that.

M3d10n

So they did all this and still no way to properly browse the eShop? How about social media stuff? A way to share videos for example. This was a waste of time for me, I couldn't care less about Find Mii and the Puzzles

Define "properly browse". You want to see all the content? You can do that. Want to see only tower defense games? You can do that. Want a list of all videos on the system? You can do that. Want to see only VC games, you can do that too.

Which browsing method is missing there?

redlemon

Define "properly browse". You want to see all the content? You can do that. Want to see only tower defense games? You can do that. Want a list of all videos on the system? You can do that. Want to see only VC games, you can do that too.

Which browsing method is missing there?

I haven't gotten to update my 3DS but before hand I could never find away to just get an A-Z list of games.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
But the demos were meaty enough that I felt like I could save $60 and just play them over and over and have just as much fun.
For you I suppose. (they were definitely meaty demos)
Others wanted to access the rest of the game. For me, I turned it off after 10 mins and deleted.

M3d10n

A note about ambassador status. This seems to be handled server-side on Nintendo's end, unless the transfer requires wi-fi there's a pretty good chance it didn't carry over and it's still tied to your old hardware. The certificate is just an app.
SD cards with content downloaded on the old system work on the new system and the friend code is preserved. This means the 3DS actually transfers the internal system account over, complete with encryption keys, with the old system getting formatted with new keys. So it's very likely the ambassador status transfers over too.

On the DSi->3DS transfer, the process just "unpurchased" your games from the DSi and "purchased" them to the 3DS (this is why the saves, which are encrypted, couldn't be transferred).

dallow_bg

nods at old men
SD cards with content downloaded on the old system work on the new system and the friend code is preserved. This means the 3DS actually transfers the internal system account over, complete with encryption keys, with the old system getting formatted with new keys. So it's very likely the ambassador status transfers over too.

On the DSi->3DS transfer, the process just "unpurchased" your games from the DSi and "purchased" them to the 3DS (this is why the saves, which are encrypted, couldn't be transferred).
Ah, good explanation.

This might be a stupid question, but I assume the SD card in my old 3DS is wiped along with the internal memory during the transfer? I shouldn't need to move the physical card over?

Also, if I decide to get a larger SD card down the road I assume it's just a matter of drag 'n dropping the entire file structure from the old to new card in terms of moving my stuff over to the new card?

M3d10n

I haven't gotten to update my 3DS but before hand I could never find away to just get an A-Z list of games.

It was always possible. Tap the menu button in the top left then select "search". Set your filters and it will produce a list for you, displaying 20 items at a time. It was the first thing I looked for when the eShop first launched: I browsed through all DSiWare games this way.

I agree the functionally is a bit buried, but it exists.

This might be a stupid question, but I assume the SD card in my old 3DS is wiped along with the internal memory during the transfer? I shouldn't need to move the physical card over?

Also, if I decide to get a larger SD card down the road I assume it's just a matter of drag 'n dropping the entire file structure from the old to new card in terms of moving my stuff over to the new card?

I'm not sure if it will wipe the card. The transfer will make the SD card in the new system identical to the old one, however. But since it explicitly says SD cards created by the old system will work on the new one, you could simply remove the SD card from the old 3DS before performing the transfer and plug it into the new ond when you're done.

And yes, you can simply copy everything from an old SD card to a new bigger one ant it just works. You cannot copy individual software, however (there's tons of medata and cache files which can get broken this way).

Managed to convert a video using Full Video Converter Free 9.
Neat :D

Although the quality seems worse when it's 30fps instead of 20. Maybe it's just my eyes.

mclem

Okay... why on Earth is the UK split by country (Scotland, NI, Wales, England), whereas France is split by region? I have 4 regions registered in each, but while that completes the UK, that's just a few small spots on the French map.

Disappointed that some of the smaller countries aren't supplied with maps, but I guess it's understandable; there's not going to be that much call for Saudi Arabia and Belgium, although I would have imagined Norway is big enough.

If you complete a region, your Mii has his hands in the air and waves from side to side while confetti falls down on that map page, rather than his normal general bob.

Ah sorry, I meant does anyone know if sleep mode works whilst in a demo, or if you can suspend them. Because basically, one play could last as long as you keep the 3DS charged if that's the case. Although obviously, I would imagine the demos would be extremely limited or timed even if you could do that.

Sleep mode/Game Suspension seems to function the same way a regular game does, so yeah, you can definitely prolong the demo, if necessary.

Not sure if it was mentioned or not, but once you use up your trials, you can't play the demo again. Attempting to open the demo with 0 trials left takes you right to the game's eShop page. If you delete and redownload the demo, you'll still have 0 trials left. I only tested it with Shin Chan, but I imagine it'd be the same for all demos.

Boken

Banned
eShop Updates

- You can now add the exact amount you need to buy something. You don't have to add funds to a wallet if you don't want to anymore.

- You can now queue up to 10 downloads and download them through SpotPass while the system is in sleep mode.

Thank the lords.

Murkas

I like how you get accomplishments for being shit, got one for getting the same puzzle piece 3 times and for missing an attack 3 times in a row!

Will I still keep everything on the system I transfer to? Like Miis, downloaded games, game saves, friend code?

I believe everything you're transferring FROM the first 3DS is transferred to the device you're transferring TO - including Miis, friend code etc. Effectively, your new 3DS inherits everything from your old one, and it is as though your old one is formatted.

The Mii Plaza mentioned getting people through spotpass. How is that different from streetpass? Does that mean that people I play online with will be in my Mii Plaza?

Chopper

So, did anyone take the bottom path in Quest II, and get to the "locked" level? I took the top, before seeing the extra spot on the map.

The Mii Plaza mentioned getting people through spotpass. How is that different from streetpass? Does that mean that people I play online with will be in my Mii Plaza?

I got forty new people in my Mii Plaza on Monday night after a few games of Mario Kart.

I turned the feature off, however. I like my Mii plaza being people I've actually passed only.

zigg

I got forty new people in my Mii Plaza on Monday night after a few games of Mario Kart.
Were they people you played with? Did they say they were there via "invitation"? I think that's a feature that's been around since the beginning—I was StreetPassing nintendogs at E3 and have a bunch of Mii Plaza residents that I believe came via nintendogs StreetPasses, but not the Plaza proper. I expect that your 40 Miis came over via a similar feature with Mario Kart online play.

I'm still not really sure what this SpotPass Mii thing is, but I'm intrigued.

Carlisle

They need folders on the main menu. It's hard to make it not look like a mess when you have alot of stuff.
This plus being able to save DSiWare games on the SD card rather than only the system menu are my main wants. It's ridiculous that I still have to clean the fridge when there's a perfectly usable mostly-free space SD card inside the system.

This plus being able to save DSiWare games on the SD card rather than only the system menu are my main wants. It's ridiculous that I still have to clean the fridge when there's a perfectly usable mostly-free space SD card inside the system.

I don't think that'll happen because it probably runs them just like a DSi would and DSiWare is stored and run internally on a DSi also.

Also, just get a bigger SD card. You can use up to a 32GB one and SD cards are relatively cheap. Are you still using the default 2GB and almost out of room? Yeesh.

- You can now save your credit card info to your system.

200901191304.jpg

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!

Top Bottom