• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS December Update Thread

I've never had trouble connecting the 3ds to my hidden home hotspot. But you get to give a bit more details of what goes wrong.

On an unrelated note:

Converting 3D videos to 3DS friendly form
What more detail can I give though? Doesn't find the access point....I live in a building, I see everyone else's BUT mine. When I input it all in manually and do a connection test it doesn't work. Just get some general error saying maybe SSID is spelled wrong, no access point in range, etc...useless error.

No, they didn't. I bought it because I'm a nerd but this is the first time I felt completely ripped off.

They made a 120 euro pricedrop few months after the release. Yeah, I'd rather get that sum back than those damn VC games. The VC games were the LEAST they could do for ripping people off like that. Should I be happy? Not one bit, but I'll take it. Just don't call it free, thank you. If it was free then people who bought it after the pricedrop would get it too.

Uh...nope, they're still free. Let's just call them a "bonus" for being an early adopter.

I can't wait until the gba games come out just so every 3ds thread doesn't turn into "WHERE ARE MY GAMES!?" "COMPLAINING ABOUT FREE STUFF LOL" "I PAID $80!" "YOU PAID $80 TO HAVE THE 3DS EARLIER" "NO I DIDNT!" "YES YOU DID" blah blah blah.

BooJoh

What more detail can I give though? Doesn't find the access point....I live in a building, I see everyone else's BUT mine. When I input it all in manually and do a connection test it doesn't work. Just get some general error saying maybe SSID is spelled wrong, no access point in range, etc...useless error.

I know this is a terrible tech-support style suggestion, but if you haven't, try restarting your router. I occasionally have to restart mine because it'll drop the wifi connections while the wired stuff still works fine.

You might also do a search for other people having the same problem on the same router model, you never know what you might find.

zigg

I can't wait until the gba games come out just so every 3ds thread doesn't turn into "WHERE ARE MY GAMES!?" "COMPLAINING ABOUT FREE STUFF LOL" "I PAID $80!" "YOU PAID $80 TO HAVE THE 3DS EARLIER" "NO I DIDNT!" "YES YOU DID" blah blah blah.
"WHERE ARE MY FOLDERS!?"

You know it to be true.

BooJoh said:
I know this is a terrible tech-support style suggestion
Nah, it's good. Wi-Fi routers are terribly-engineered pieces of hardware that need this sometimes, sadly.

The VC games were the LEAST they could do for ripping people off like that. Should I be happy? Not one bit, but I'll take it. Just don't call it free, thank you.

Absolute nonsense.

Nintendo had no obligation at all to give us anything as they didn't do anything wrong.

No one could have foreseen a drastic pricedrop that soon and we're fortunate as early adopters to get anything for our "suffering".

Next thing you know, the GBA games drop and then people are upset that they played the games before or they couldn't choose them themselves or they don't have online added.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Well, assuming you have the basics covered (i.e. a proper SSID name and a compatible encryption scheme - WPA2 personal w/ AES works fine), you can try changing the radio channel of your router (I keep mine at 11, IIRC) and see if that changes anything wrt visibility. Sometimes it can be too much interference in an 'overcrowded' wifi zone (though that should not affect the visibility of your hotspot, but one never knows).

Absolute nonsense.

Nintendo has no obligation at all to give us anything as they didn't do anything wrong.

No one could foresee a drastic pricedrop that soon and we're fortunate as early adopters to get anything for our "suffering".

Next thing you know, the GBA games drop and then people are upset that they played the games before or they couldn't choose them themselves or they don't have online added.

BS. Do you really think that Nintendo could make a huge pricedrop shortly after the release and give the early adaptors nothing in return? There's no way in hell a company would do that, think how much negativity it would create. Like I said, the VC games were the least they could do

Well, assuming you have the basics covered (i.e. a proper SSID name and a compatible encryption scheme - WPA2 personal w/ AES works fine), you can try changing the radio channel of your router (I keep mine at 11, IIRC) and see if that changes anything wrt visibility. Sometimes it can be too much interference in an 'overcrowded' wifi zone (though that should not affect the visibility of your hotspot, but one never knows).
Bah, I figured it out in the end. Well not really but what did the trick was resetting my wifi settings. I went to my router page, ended up putting the exact same SSID and same password then after it took some seconds to set it up it worked again.

Makes no sense. That's nintendo + online for you. But at least it's solved.

BS. Do you really think that Nintendo could make a huge pricedrop shortly after the release and give the early adaptors nothing in return? There's no way in hell a company would do that, think how much negativity it would create. Like I said, the VC games were the least they could do

What did they give early adopters of the Virtual Boy?

How about the HP Touchpad? What did HP give those customers?

BS. Do you really think that Nintendo could make a huge pricedrop shortly after the release and give early adaptors nothing in return? There's no way in hell a company would do that, think how much negativity it would create. Like I said, the VC games were the least they could do

Like Nintendo doesn't create negative vibes already or hasn't throughout their whole history.

Spoiled and greedy.

Not every business that changes prices of their merchandise compensates those that bought whatever at the initial price, that's just not being realistic.

I doubt the company would suffer if it gave early adopters nothing, they'd get over it as soon as they had other things to make them forget about the minor inconvenience.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I thought the price drop was crazy since I bought it at launch and even I think you're just BS'ing now Lovely Salsa.

So I paid more money. Such is the gamble I take every time I open my wallet. I'm way over it.

Even after seeing the recent ad for a $169 3DS + $50 gift card. :cries:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
eShop Updates

- The eShop loads faster.

- You can now add the exact amount you need to buy something. You don't have to add funds to a wallet if you don't want to anymore.

- You can now save your credit card info to your system.

- You can now queue up to 10 downloads and download them through SpotPass while the system is in sleep mode.

Good job!

Street Pass Quest 2 is pretty cool. The rest is not bad either but very gimmicky. (Who wants to take videos with that shitty camera?)

So got a spotpass message talking about Nintendo Zone and if you enter it it will ask you if you want to find the closest one near you. Neat.

Roto13

No, they didn't. I bought it because I'm a nerd but this is the first time I felt completely ripped off.

They made a 120 euro pricedrop few months after the release. Yeah, I'd rather get that sum back than those damn VC games. The VC games were the LEAST they could do for ripping people off like that. Should I be happy? Not one bit, but I'll take it. Just don't call it free, thank you. If it was free then people who bought it after the pricedrop would get it too.

The LEAST they could do is nothing. You are not entitled to anything. Not one dime, not one game. You wanted a handheld that cost $250 or the equivalent, you bought it at that price. You got what you were paying for. If that's not enough in retrospect, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Yes, they absolutely could. People would be upset, but they abso-fucking-lutely have the right to set their MSRP at whatever they want and change it whenever they feel like it. Hell, they can start giving them out for free and you still wouldn't be owed anything.

I bought my 3DS three weeks before the price drop was announced. You don't see me acting all whiny and self entitled about it.

I got over it a long time ago. Just gets annoying when people are provoking and saying that I should be glad that I got it for "free"

It certainly doesn't sound like you're over anything.

So got a spotpass message talking about Nintendo Zone and if you enter it it will ask you if you want to find the closest one near you. Neat.

It didn't seem like they had anything exclusive on it. It just looked like stuff that's already on Nintendo Video and the eShop. I'm thinking it's something more for people without wi-fi in their homes or a way for Best Buy to do a little advertising while you're in the store.

So I paid more money. Such is the gamble I take every time I open my wallet. I'm way over it.

Even after seeing the recent ad for a $169 3DS + $50 gift card. :cries:

^This. I bought a Kindle 3 a few months ago, then Amazon dropped the price two months later. Should I start an online petition about it?

It sucks, but this sort of thing happens all the time. Even buying most games at launch now, including the big Fall releases, is a price gamble. For example, I got Batman for $30 three weeks after release. Should people who bought it on day 1 and enjoyed it sooner form a mob and burn shops down?

waicol

Banned
That 80 bucks could have been two 3DS games. But hey at least we got a handful of free mediocre NES games and some decent/good GBA games (which we haven't got yet).

I guess I should be thankful.

Though Nintendo never talked about these games being an 80 bucks exact translate, they are early access products that in a final form will be delivered to us for free. They could be worth 100$ depending on pricing or 30$ even. But every early adopter is an ambassador and it's not crazy to expect other goodies from Nintendo, like more early accesses or free stuffs. Hell, these games aren't even confirmed to be as paid downloadable games for non ambassadors.

Roto13

Every time the price of anything drops, there were people who bought it at full price the day before. C'est la vie.

King_Moc

Banned
I dunno what you're all on about. I got a 3DS for £190 with Pilotwings at launch. It's now £120 and i don't give a shit. No one made me do it but me. And i don't regret it one bit.

If you regret the purchase at that price, why on earth did you do it in the first place?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
MS dropped the MSRP of the Xbox by $100 7 months after launch. Nintendo dropped the MSRP of the GCN by $50 7 months after launch. In both cases early adopters got jack shit.

All this complaining about the Ambassador games reminds me of the yearly complaining over the Club Nintendo Platinum prize. People have a really backwards way of looking at bits of lagniappe like that.

Every time the price of anything drops, there were people who bought it at full price the day before. C'est la vie.

215168616_HJF9x-L-2.jpg

dallow_bg

nods at old men
All this complaining about the Ambassador games reminds me of the yearly complaining over the Club Nintendo Platinum prize. People have a really backwards way of looking at bits of lagniappe like that.
That's different. People are allowed to not like something, even if it's free.
Most people just don't like the prizes, including me usually.

The LEAST they could do is nothing. You are not entitled to anything. Not one dime, not one game. You wanted a handheld that cost $250 or the equivalent, you bought it at that price. You got what you were paying for. If that's not enough in retrospect, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Yes, they absolutely could. People would be upset, but they abso-fucking-lutely have the right to set their MSRP at whatever they want and change it whenever they feel like it. Hell, they can start giving them out for free and you still wouldn't be owed anything.

Did I say they didn't have the right to do that? I said they would NEVER do such a thing as it would hurt them as a company. If it wasn't a big deal, like you make it sound like it wouldn't be, then most of the companies/if not all wouldn't give anything in return to those that obviously feel ripped off.

In business standpoint, it is indeed a big deal.

That's different. People are allowed to not like something, even if it's free.
Most people just don't like the prizes, including me usually.

That's fine, but some people get all indignant about it..."RAWR I SPENT ALL THIS MONEY ON YOUR SHITTY GAMES YOU COULD AT LEAST GIVE ME SOMETHING NICER"

It's like...dude...that's not how it works.

Except that price drops happen all the goddamn time in the world of electronics.

Nintendo is being the ones that are different here, giving your customers free stuff because of a price drop never, ever happens.

Roto13

Did I say they didn't have the right to do that? I said they would NEVER do such a thing as it would hurt them as a company. If it wasn't a big deal, like you make it sound like it wouldn't be, then most of the companies/if not all wouldn't give anything in return to those that obviously feel ripped off.

The fact that you keep using the term "ripped off" means you don't get it at all. You and Nintendo both agreed it was worth the original asking price. Nobody ripped anyone off.

The vast, vast, VAST majority of people who buy things before a price drop are not compensated.

The fact that you keep using the term "ripped off" means you don't get it at all. You and Nintendo both agreed it was worth the original asking price. Nobody ripped anyone off.

Thing is, they dropped the price quite a bit shortly after the release. Thats why I use the term "ripped off"

It isn't normal for a console to drop fast like that. Who would've bought it if they knew it would drop that fast in price?

Top Bottom