• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS December Update Thread

BooJoh

Just did my first background download (3D encyclopaedia demo downloaded whilst playing monster hunter 3g).

Works nicely. Cutting to the OS mid-game brought up a message telling me it was ready.

Huh, are you sure about that? The eShop manual states that it will only download while the system is in sleep mode.

Am I the only one who's having issues? I don't know why my files aren't being recognized or can't play. I followed those ffmpeg instructions and even downloaded a 3D trailer off YT to no avail.

you're naming your files according to the naming convention of the 3DS's own recordings, right? LLL_NNNN.avi? (I think it's AVI, anyway. L=letter, N=number digit)

waicol

Banned
Am I the only one who's having issues? I don't know why my files aren't being recognized or can't play. I followed those ffmpeg instructions and even downloaded a 3D trailer off YT to no avail.

Maybe you have to replace the "0001", that's what the system recognizes, the letters are just so users can know what it is.

Rhod

Huh, are you sure about that? The eShop manual states that it will only download while the system is in sleep mode.

It could have done it shortly beforehand I guess, and then I opened it, played MH for a while, and then I went to the OS, and then it told me. Either way, it worked and it was unobtrusive. The faded present on the menu when you request the download is neat, too.

you're naming your files according to the naming convention of the 3DS's own recordings, right? LLL_NNNN.avi? (I think it's AVI, anyway. L=letter, N=number digit)

Maybe you have to replace the "0001", that's what the system recognizes, the letters are just so users can know what it is.

I've tried all that unfortunately. My 3DS sees the file, but it just has a big red NO over the file (like the stop smoking red circle cross signs).

I can play other files just fine, it's just the ones I try to encode myself with the issues. Extremely frustrating. :(

Only issue I had was that there's no embedded metadata for date recorded or whatever so they appear right at the beginning of your photo/video stream instead of at the end, under the date 1900/00/00

I used keepvid.com to download the videos in MP4 format (480p), and then followed the instructions for side-by-side video.

I used the latest ffmpeg Windows build here: http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

watershed

Banned

Someone said they managed to do the same thing yesterday as well. Apparently it works if you are using software that doesn't need a network connection but it doesn't work if you're playing in ds/dsi mode. I wanted to test it myself but there was nothing I wanted off the eshop.

Erethian

Someone said they managed to do the same thing yesterday as well. Apparently it works if you are using software that doesn't need a network connection but it doesn't work if you're playing in ds/dsi mode. I wanted to test it myself but there was nothing I wanted off the eshop.

What they meant was that if you're playing a 3DS game and put that into sleep mode, your eShop titles will download in the background.

So you still need to go into sleep mode for bulk downloading, but you can do it while you've got native 3DS software running.

watershed

Banned
What they meant was that if you're playing a 3DS game and put that into sleep mode, your eShop titles will download in the background.

So you still need to go into sleep mode for bulk downloading, but you can do it while you've got native 3DS software running.

Can you then reopen the 3ds and continue playing while the purchases download? That would be the cool part.

Alright,

hopefully this will help. Make sure you get the latest FFMPEG build
32 bit: http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/ffmpeg-git-61b1d85-win32-static.7z
64 bit: http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win64/static/ffmpeg-git-61b1d85-win64-static.7z

Extract your 7z file (7zip). The "bin" folder contains the executables you need. You can rename this, move it to where it would be easier to get to, and delete everything else if you wish.

Now copy and paste this into a notepad document:

Code:
@echo off
IF %1=="" GOTO Continue
set var=%~1
ffmpeg -y -i "%var%" -s 800x240 -aspect 2:1 -r 20 -vcodec mjpeg -qscale 1 -vf crop=400:240:0:0 -acodec libmp3lame -ar 44100 -ab 96k -ac 2 "left.avi"
ffmpeg -y -i "%var%" -s 800x240 -aspect 2:1 -r 20 -vcodec mjpeg -qscale 1 -vf crop=400:240:400:0 -an "right.avi"
ffmpeg -y -i "left.avi" -i "right.avi" -vcodec copy -acodec adpcm_ima_wav -ac 2 -vcodec copy -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -map 1:0 "VID_0001.AVI"
:Continue

Save As... and select Save As Type "*.* All files" -- name this file "make3dsvideo.bat"
Save it into the same location as where you just put FFMPEG.

From now on all you need to do is drag a video onto the batch file, or type this in command prompt

make3dsvideo "blahblah.mp4"

and it will do it all for you.

If you would like it to clean up after you, add the lines

Code:
del left.avi
del right.avi

just before the :Continue line.

You will need to rename your LLL_NNNN.AVI file or move it (perhaps to your 3DS) so it doesn't get over-written by future uses of the batch file.

EDIT: Here's the batch file if you'd rather not bother with notepad
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=69372G2Q

GDGF

Soothsayer
We need an official Nintendo 3D video recording thread so the post above can be a part of the op.

I'm really beginning to wonder if my codecs are wrong or something.

EDIT - OK, it finally worked with a video off of YouTube. My own 3D videos I recorded with my Panasonic 3D camcoder however, aren't working. At this point I'm really leaning towards codec issue.

I'm really beginning to wonder if my codecs are wrong or something.

EDIT - OK, it finally worked with a video off of YouTube. My own 3D videos I recorded with my Panasonic 3D camcoder however, aren't working. At this point I'm really leaning towards codec issue.

You can check the codecs with GSPOT
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

really though, as long as you have the right codecs, it shouldn't be a problem for ffmpeg. Any chance you could run that on one of your files and tell us what the video/audio is?

wNHsi.jpg

I hope this helps? I can also upload the file. I chopped it down to about a few second clip so it's only a few mbs.

My original MTS files don't even show up on that program, codec wise anyway. Just mentions:

File Type: MPEG-2 Transport Stream
Mime Type: video/mp2t

When I've edited them in PowerDirector 10, it spits out this:

FhBtX.jpg

DarkWish

In case anyone wants a more comprehensive guide to the system update with every little detail, I created one here: http://t.co/qDDBxVwF. The OP is also free to use any of that post if they want, just trying to share my work in compiling all this info. Still need to get details on all the hats, accomplishments, and music.

sakipon

Wow at the Nicola Kanshuu 2 fashion game demo on Japanese eShop. All of the icons and stuff in the game are so goddamn small! I guess kids got a sharper eyesight than I do, but the worst thing is realizing why this is. It's painfully obvious that the game would work plenty better in book mode, that you seem not to be able to use here (except for a very special occasion). Google told me the original game on the DS was vertical, I just knew it. It's like they spent one night turning things horizontally and didn't bother to consider any changes.

I've tested FabStyle and comparing these two games, graphically and otherwise, is like night and day. So there, your daughters, wives and whoever interested are not missing anything by not getting to play the demo.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
early adopters weren't 'ripped off'. but its reasonable for them to feel a bit pissed off as the price dropped so quickly. Nintendo were just helping sooth our frayed nerves.

Not the same as a general playstation or kindle or whatever price drop - people that buy it during the year and then there is a price drop is very different to people that buy at launch and then it drops immediately afterwards - there is an expectation there that the price will remain stable for a reasonable amount of time.

Q: What's a Nintendo Zone area in Canada?

There's a search feature on the Nintendo Zone App that lets you search for nearby Nintendo zone locations. For me it was just McDonald's, Starbucks, Best Buy, and the strangest one... Fed Ex Offices. I have no idea what sort of content you could get there, or who even goes there with a 3DS.

Gravijah

There's a search feature on the Nintendo Zone App that lets you search for nearby Nintendo zone locations. For me it was just McDonald's, Starbucks, Best Buy, and the strangest one... Fed Ex Offices. I have no idea what sort of content you could get there, or who even goes there with a 3DS.

mcdonalds mcdonalds mcdonalds... mcdonalds... oooh ruby tuesday.

-KRS-

Probably been answered already, but how exactly do I choose the exact amount of funds I want to transfer to my 3DS? I still only saw the old options when I tried quickly. I don't have a credit card here at the moment so I'm not sure if it's later in the process where you select that. Anyone have a detailed description? I'm thinking it shouldn't be so hard as I'm making it out to be here.

mdtauk

Probably been answered already, but how exactly do I choose the exact amount of funds I want to transfer to my 3DS? I still only saw the old options when I tried quickly. I don't have a credit card here at the moment so I'm not sure if it's later in the process where you select that. Anyone have a detailed description? I'm thinking it shouldn't be so hard as I'm making it out to be here.

You do it when you go to buy a game when you don't have enough funds for it. If you're short, it'll come up with two options. You can choose to either add more funds to your wallet (the old way) or you can choose to just add the remainder of what you need (leaving your wallet empty)

You're just prompted to cough up the money when you click on the purchase button for a game and you don't already have money to cover it in your wallet.

BooJoh

But who do you streetpass them from if nobody can buy them? Or are the pink pieces random for everyone?

I think you get them from SpotPass actually. I was going to double-check, but there doesn't seem to be a manual for Puzzle Swap and I don't think you can repeat the messages it displayed after the update.

-KRS-

Ah I found the "Required amount only" option now. Thanks guys. When I tried it yesterday I only tried with the "Add funds" option in the main menu. I did not try to press the "Purchase Software" button and THEN add funds. So it seems that you still can't add a specified amount to your wallet, but this is still waaay better than before.

Top Bottom