• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Emulator Citra Boots First Commercial Game

Harro

They made so much improvement in few time
1464164507-sm3dl1.png
1464164467-sm3dl2.png
1464164623-sm3dl3.png
1464164515-sm3dl4.png
1464164692-zelda-oot-1.png
1464164707-zelda-oot-3.png
1464164679-zelda-oot-4.png
1464164800-zelda-oot-5.png
1464164748-zelda-oot-6.png
1464164777-zelda-oot-7.png

PsionBolt

They made so much improvement in few time

1464164515-sm3dl4.png
1464164692-zelda-oot-1.png

Man, I want to show these to every developer and player in the world! This is what a video game should look like. Devs, please: toss the crazy post-processing, bloom, chromatic abberation, motion blur, dynamic lighting, blah blah blah, cut the polycount and texture res by a ton, and just make this. I would be so happy.

Man, I want to show these to every developer and player in the world! This is what a video game should look like. Devs, please: toss the crazy post-processing, bloom, chromatic abberation, motion blur, dynamic lighting, blah blah blah, cut the polycount and texture res by a ton, and just make this. I would be so happy.

Well, I wouldn't say cut the texture resolution. In fact, great texturing is why some Wii games look so amazing even in 1080p. But yes, I would be more than happy if more games had graphics like this. So clean and beautiful.

Ran rp

hBWcNis.gif

Nerrel

Man this looks great. I love the 3D and the extra life it brings, but part of me wishes these games hadn't been on the 3DS. Rather than a fully modern remake they basically look like the most bad assed, ultimate N64 game possible. The models and textures still seem really limited, which holds back that amazing art style and detail. It's especially clear in Hyrule field... with any luck, the modding community will give these games some attention. I can only imagine what a RE4HD level texture and model upgrade could do for this game.

Ishida

Banned

Wow, fuck no.

There were a few revisions where Kid Icarus Uprising showed signs of booting. It would get as far as creating a save file and showing the loading screen, and reacting to touch on the bottom screen. The current build just crashes, but at least some progress has been made.

In other news, fog is now implemented (at least in some branch or another) so Ocarina of Time is almost perfect, visually. And it's much faster in the latest official build-- Link's house is almost full speed for me now, and since Citra only uses one core, my FX-6300 is not suited to running it at all. High end processors might be able to get full speed now?

Madao

this thread makes me even more sad that F-Zero X never got a 3DS remaster. that game could have benefitted a ton since the graphics were the weakest spot and SF643D, OoT3D and MM3D got some nice upgrades.

Golnei

this thread makes me even more sad that F-Zero X never got a 3DS remaster. that game could have benefitted a ton since the graphics were the weakest spot and SF643D, OoT3D and MM3D got some nice upgrades.

That would have been great - along with all they could do to overhaul the graphics and art direction without the burden of hitting 60FPS on the N64, the 64DD additions and inevitable online functionality would have justified a port further.

marmoka

Banned
Does the emulator work faster now? It was pretty slow in native resolution the first time I tried it. My laptop is not very powerful but runs Dolphin properly, I was hoping at the beginning that the performance would be similar to the other emulator.

Anyway, to all those people who are working on this emulator. Great job!! The HD screenshots are amazing!! Nintendo should give you a job: develop the official 3DS emulator to play 3DS games in HD in NX. If they don't do that, they will miss a great opportunity here.

Is there any news on Luigi's Mansion 2?

I found a video of the game but it looks like all the shaders and dynamic lighting effects are missing, so the game looks really flat.

Ruff

I haven't paid much attention to emulator progression so the last one I tried using was a DS emulator way back and worked a treat. I wasn't even aware it took this long to get somewhere with 3DS. What is making it so difficult/time consuming to do compared to the older gen system since it doesn't seem to much of a hardware leap? DRM or is it completely different to reverse engineer? Forgive my ignorance :(

I haven't paid much attention to emulator progression so the last one I tried using was a DS emulator way back and worked a treat. I wasn't even aware it took this long to get somewhere with 3DS. What is making it so difficult/time consuming to do compared to the older gen system since it doesn't seem to much of a hardware leap? DRM or is it completely different to reverse engineer? Forgive my ignorance :(

I'd like to know this as well, though I'm guessing it might be down to 3DS's fixed function shaders?

Daedardus

I don't know if you are serious, but this is the fastest an emulator has ever progressed. Most of it has to with the 3DS having a more modern structure and lots of work already done with NDS emulators and Dolphin. The amount of leaps they make each time is astounding. You have to know making emulators is a time consuming process, you have to reverse engineer undocumented chips, crack encryption, write lots of specific code and making sure it runs fluid. Dolphin took 7 years to get to a playable state.

roytheone

I don't know if you are serious, but this is the fastest an emulator has ever progressed. Most of it has to with the 3DS having a more modern structure and lots of work already done with NDS emulators and Dolphin. The amount of leaps they make each time is astounding. You have to know making emulators is a time consuming process, you have to reverse engineer undocumented chips, crack encryption, write lots of specific code and making sure it runs fluid. Dolphin took 7 years to get to a playable state.

It's progressing pretty fast, but I would say Cemu is progressing even faster. It hasn't even been out for a full year yet and games like new super mario U are basically fully playable.

Daedardus

It's progressing pretty fast, but I would say Cemu is progressing even faster. It hasn't even been out for a full year yet and games like new super mario U are basically fully playable.

I believe Cemu was already being worked on full time before release though. Citra only got up to speed less than two years ago too.

Vuze

Holy shit, latest nightly can run MH4U *somewhat* decently. Tons of artifacts but it's actually reasonably playable for getting some screenshots done in a fair amount of time. 2D textures (menu, bottom screen etc) are not working yet.
That weird "dithering" though. I noticed it on the real console as well, hope there will be a way to get rid of it further down the line.

hiryu64

It's ridiculous how well 3DS games scale. I really hope they give their next handheld a proper screen with a good resolution.
Truth. For the longest time, I considered the Pokémon games on par with PS1/N64 graphic quality. But when you look at the assets in high-quality (nsfw language), it's evident that the screen resolution delivers a MASSIVE hit to IQ.

Granted the games' environment textures are still pretty weak, but the characters--especially the Pokémon--are quite detailed. This is one of the major reasons I'm disappointed to see Gen 7 on 3DS.

Daedardus

It's been a bit quiet on this, but I'm glad to see more support coming. Would love to take some HD screenshots from Sun and Moon.

I'd like to know this as well, though I'm guessing it might be down to 3DS's fixed function shaders?

The fact that the hardware is fixed function actually makes it EASIER to emulate afaik.

You only have to program a certain set of shaders and never have to worry about any other weird edge cases (ie: the TEV stages in the GC/Wii).

aravuus

Oh man, maybe it won't be too long until I can finally give all the 3DS games I had to drop because of how painful playing on the handheld is a second try

Oh man, maybe it won't be too long until I can finally give all the 3DS games I had to drop because of how painful playing on the handheld is a second try

That would be a huge boon to me. I just can't stand playing on handhelds any more. So uncomfortable. Probably just getting old.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Some fantastic looking shots there. The awful IQ really lets the 3DS down. Every time I play a 3DS Pokemon game I think of how good it could look if they had the means. And that's what interests me about 3DS emulation: making the games look better. And controls of course, a proper analog stick instead of the circle pad would be great.

If Nintendo made a version of the 3DS that had nothing extra except a dedicated bit of hardware that added MSAA to everything I'd buy it immediately.

Platy

Wanted to see how Mario 3D Land was running because I wanted to play again and why not on a bigger resolution and ...

the rom was not decrypted and I gave up because of that =P

I will just replay on the 3ds =/

Rich!

Wanted to see how Mario 3D Land was running because I wanted to play again and why not on a bigger resolution and ...

the rom was not decrypted and I gave up because of that =P

I will just replay on the 3ds =/

?

if you dump your own rom the way the tutorial instructs, it will be decrypted.

Top Bottom