• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Euro Event Thread [Update: GAF Impressions Inside]

Oxx

I will do slightly more detailed impressions later, but I'll just leave this tidbit here: Kid Icarus is a disaster.

VOOK said:
Can that Fujifilm one do video?
Yup! 2D or 3D video. And it's easy to format it to upload to YouTube 3D. Heck, the 3DS is getting 3D video-taking support sometime after launch, you could video a 3DS using a 3DS.

Oxx

richisawesome said:
Left handed?
Nope.

I just thought it was horrible.

Caveats:

- It was my first experience of the 3DS
- I was holding the system in my hands before finding that setting it in the stand was more stable
- I was used to fairly sedate games on the DS
- I only played for about 5 minutes. Airborne, ground, and boss sections.

But I didn't like it at all. It was almost uncontrollable. It might make more sense with practise, but it seems such a bad idea in concept. It would work much better as a Wii game.

The fast-paced, twitchy action brought out the worst in the 3D screen and was the only game that I has problems focussing on.

Rich!

Oxx said:
Nope.

Caveats:

- I was holding the system in my hands before finding that setting it in the stand was more stable

But I didn't like it at all. It was almost uncontrollable. It might make more sense with practise, but it seems such a bad idea in concept. It would work much better as a Wii game.

The fast-paced, twitchy action brought out the worst in the 3D screen and was the only game that I has problems focussing on.

Heh, I wouldn't know unfortunately. I missed out on Riiiiidge Raaace, Steel Diver and Kid Icarus. I played, in order:

1. Asphalt 3D
2. Zelda
3. Pilotwings
4. Street Fighter
5. Dead or Alive
6. Pro Evo
7. Resident Evil Mercenaries
8. Lego Star Wars

and then into the next room for the others, trailers and AR games

heringer

Oxx said:
Nope.

Caveats:

Any impressions on other games?

Oxx

But apart from Kid Icarus I was quite impressed.

My position going in: Big DS fan, not planning to buy at launch.

I played: KI, Pilotwings, RE Mercs, Zelda, DOA, Pro Evo, Nintendogs, Monkey Ball, Rabbids, Face Raiders, AR stuff.

I wish I had more time. It felt like we were ushered out of the 'games for gamers' room far too quickly. I only found a free Zelda kiosk seconds before we had to leave. But those ten seconds of Kokiri Forest looked good!

As I said before, Kid Icarus was the only one I had vision problems with, although I did tend to ratchet the 3D effect right down.

Pilotwings and the AR games were the real highlights. I spent most of my time with Pilotwings and I thought it was pretty awesome. Really easy to pick-up and understand and movement seemed quite fluid. The 3D effect made it look like you were piloting a little toy through the world. Face Raiders and the AR games were really interesting. I just hope that I haven't seen all they have to offer already and that there's a bit more substance to them in the package.

Position leaving: Almost tempted to jump-in for Pilotwings, but likely to wait for Starfox and Paper Mario (both of which looked gorgeous in the videos).

jarosh

i've been invited to the swiss press & pre-play event on wednesday. i'll try to take some good pics and post impressions :)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
This came from a European Nintendo representative at an event so not very official:

Nintendo's target is to ship 5 million 3DS this year in Europe.

Oxx

I managed to get plenty of disses of Kid Icarus into my post-event questionnaire.

It's not that I'm convinced the game will be terrible, it's just that the demo makes a wretched first impression. Hopefully Nintendo will put the game back in the oven.

Oxx said:
I managed to get plenty of disses of Kid Icarus into my post-event questionnaire.

It's not that I'm convinced the game will be terrible, it's just that the demo makes a wretched first impression. Hopefully Nintendo will put the game back in the oven.
Doubtful since you're the first non-lefthanded person that's written anything particularly bad about the game so far, at least on GAF...

antonz

Chris1964 said:
This came from a European Nintendo representative at an event so not very official:

Nintendo's target is to ship 5 million 3DS this year in Europe.
For Europe Alone they would have to really kick 3DS production into high gear. I mean its possible but thats 3.5-4 million units for the rest of the year after launch

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
antonz said:
For Europe Alone they would have to really kick 3DS production into high gear. I mean its possible but thats 3.5-4 million units for the rest of the year after launch
Like I said the source is a European representative.

Saying this doesn't mean it will happen, but that's he was told from parent company.

Couldn't think of better place so I thought I'd post this here

Just seen a (possibly the first?) Tv ad for the 3ds in the uk during the brit awards, was very long and informative and fairly dull, was hacked together from the existing promo vids

Dreamwriter said:
Doubtful since you're the first non-lefthanded person that's written anything particularly bad about the game so far, at least on GAF...
not entirely true. lots of people have had issues with the on foot sections.

jarosh

lol "digital content is nice and all and we have some on 3ds, but almost no one's downloading it, so we're 100% commited to retail." uh, okay.

Yeah, so much for the e-Shop (to be fair Nintendo themselves don't really care about Wiiware or DSiWare, they just publish some stuff usually small projects)...I'd understand the commited to retail comment if it were a retailer conferance.

Starwolf_UK said:
Yeah, so much for the e-Shop (to be fair Nintendo themselves don't really care about Wiiware or DSiWare, they just publish some stuff usually small projects)...I'd understand the commited to retail comment if it were a retailer conferance.

Is this a retail conference?

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence but then again, we haven't seen anything outside of 2 VC games and the e-shop infrastructure looks 100x better than the DSi shop!

It's a bit early to dismiss their efforts with the e-shop based on the comments of 1 swiss guy from NOE.

jarosh

oh don't worry. this isn't even nintendo itself saying this. in switzerland a company called waldmeier is in charge. just thought it was a funny and bizarre remark.

also: steel diver definitely NOT at launch :(

Shiggy

Nuclear Muffin said:
Is this a retail conference?

Doesn't exactly inspire confidence but then again, we haven't seen anything outside of 2 VC games and the e-shop infrastructure looks 100x better than the DSi shop!

It's a bit early to dismiss their efforts with the e-shop based on the comments of 1 swiss guy from NOE.

I don't think he even is from NoE.

Shiggy said:
I don't think he even is from NoE.

Oh yeah, I forgot that NOE don't handle the distribution in Swiss land.

Jarosh said:
i hadn't seen this trailer for re: mercenaries. i'm sure it's old though. but man this game looks good.

This is the old trailer, is the one you've seen the same?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6_R5S_TUjc

And yes, the game looks amazing. Best looking game on the 3DS by far! (especially after seeing it in person!)

jarosh

ceo from ubisoft switzerland is here. wow, waldmeier, i'm almost impressed. they're saying splinter cell 3d is a completely new game. that HAS to be bs. i thought it was just a port of chaos theory?

Disguises

jarosh said:
ceo from ubisoft switzerland is here. wow, waldmeier, i'm almost impressed. they're saying splinter cell 3d is a completely new game. that HAS to be bs. i thought it was just a port of chaos theory?
Haha, so did I (or that's what I've been led to believe).

You'd think they'd try at least a little bit harder with mentioning the e-shop rather than saying a negative comment...

jarosh

got to play all the games i care about. was really fun. i'll post detailed impressions later. one thing though:
- best 3d: re mercenaries & nintendogs
- worst 3d: pilotwings (just awful, gave me a headache)

jarosh said:
got to play all the games i care about. was really fun. i'll post detailed impressions later. one thing though:
- best 3d: re mercenaries & nintendogs
- worst 3d: pilotwings (just awful, gave me a headache)

That's interesting - many of the previews I've seen have said that Mercenaries had barely any (or very subtle) 3D effects and didn't really showcase the feature, while Pilotwings made fantastic use of it (indeed, Edge just praised it in their 3DS feature in the latest issue).

Everyone seems to love the 3D in Nintendogs though.

It really does seem as though the effectiveness and suitability of the 3D is going to vary wildly from game to game and player to player, though. Thank Christ for the 3D slider...

What most have said re:pilotwings is the 3D effect is too strong on that game. You have to have it practically set to 0 to be playable and even then it might be distracting.

plagiarize said:
not entirely true. lots of people have had issues with the on foot sections.
People have had issues with Kid Icarus' controls while on foot, and left-handed folks have had issues with the control setup, but they haven't said they hated the game, it wasn't fun at all, it needs a lot of work to make it into a decent game.

Starwolf_UK said:
What most have said re:pilotwings is the 3D effect is too strong on that game. You have to have it practically set to 0 to be playable and even then it might be distracting.

Not when I played it. I had it at mid 3d volume like all of the other games and it looked great.

As I said, Nintendogs work so well because the environment is minimalistic and your eyes have to focus on very specific items only (pets, items, etc).

Pilotwings was irritating at the first few minutes and extremely hard to focus. I had to tinker with the system for a few minutes, then the image became clear and the 3D skies beautiful.

Quite a risk Nintendo is taking here with the different levels of 3D, me thinks.

Annoying Old Party Man said:
Quite a risk Nintendo is taking here with the different levels of 3D, me thinks.

How so? If the slider can be used to quickly and effectively shift for different games, it puts the inconvenience almost on the level of changing the volume or adjusting the brightness on my TV when I play different games.

Are there any other Gaffers heading to Telford this weekend? At the Midlands expo they're showing the 3DS. It's not much to get in, and it's the first public (non Nintendo ticketed) appearance for the system.

jarosh

alright, here are my full impressions:

lego star wars 3

didn't look all that impressive in person. the visuals were also kinda too dark at times. the 3d effect was pretty subdued, but at least not distracting, which might have to do with the perspective the lego games are usually played at. there was one sequence where they're shooting laser bursts from the very background and they slowly fly past your character, toward the screen: that looked pretty neat and actually made sense gameplay wise instead of being just another pointless shit's-coming-out-of-the-screen-3d-gimmick. but i dunno, if you dig the lego games you'll probably like this. i'll say that their format is maybe better suited for play on a handheld, so i guess that's a plus. but i'm not the a huge fan of them in general. this is just more of the same.

resident evil: mercenaries

it can't be overstated how amazing this looks. and not just in a shaders-fake-next-gen-fidelity sort of way. it's just really fantastic looking and runs super smoothly. textures, character models, lighting, particle effects etc. i was really impressed. and the 3d is excellent. again, this might be more due to the 3rd person perspective itself, which always keeps your character more or less on the same layer while everything else is noticably farhter away. since you're essentially looking into the distance the 3d just works perfectly here and adds great depth to the game. i really dig the gameplay and the weapon switching with the touch screen works well, but i don't think i'll buy a resident evil game that's essentially a glorified arcade mode of earlier games in the series. shame. but playing this demo at least made me hyped for revelations.

legend of zelda: ocarina of time 3d

i'm one of the people who hasn't re-played the n64 original 100 times already, so i'm kinda excited for this. it's all pretty straightforward. visuals are overall much improved over the original, which sadly make the occasional low-res texture and some of the unaltered geometry stick out even more. still, i think the graphics get too much hate. it's a very noticable upgrade over the n64 original. nothing much else to say really.

rabbids 3d

ok, this was a bit of a surprise for me. from the screens it looked interesting. but the trailer made it look like some sort of half-baked on-rails sonic-like 2d platformer. it's actually a fairly slow paced and straightforward platformer. it's really not that bad. hard to say whether the level design will get a bit more interesting later on. i only played for a short time. i'd say it has potential; the controls feel tight and there's not too much gimmicky nonsense going on. but some of the animations and the collision detection are a bit wonky, which make me think that the game probably got rushed to make it out in time for launch. so, we're looking at a potentially rushed ubisoft launch game... which in turn means i'm keeping my expectations as low as possible for the rest of the game. oh yeah, the 3d was really subtle here, but surprisingly more distracting than anything else, probably because all the depth was in the backgrounds, which have little gameplay relevance.

steel diver

ok, i'm not so sad anymore this won't be out on day one. i totally don't see the appeal of it. the first person mode where you physically move around the system to target and evade other ships
is just annoyingly gimmicky and stupid, just not fun at all. it's also ugly as hell. the other mode, where you get a sideview of your submarine and navigate it through an underwater stage full of obstacles and enemies, isn't much more fun. the controls are touch screen only, it's all sliders and big buttons. it's sluggish, tedious and laggy. yes, i suppose this is how it should be, because it's a submarine and this is some sort of attempt at approximating reality etc. blegh. i just don't see the bloody point. but if you like this sort of thing, more power to you. the 3d in first person is useless since there's no way you can always keep your head perfectly aligned with the system while you move it around. the 3d in the second mode is alright and not distracting, but it doesn't really add much.

pilotwings resort

just not my type of game. but the main problem for me was the 3d effect, which was way too strong. i turned it almost all the way down and while that seemed to help, it just took away the depth, but still felt off. it seemed like no matter what i did, there was always something about the 3d that seemed off in this game. messing with the slider, moving my head back and forth, tilting the system slightly, nothing seemed to work. even the menus gave me a headache. i turned the 3d off eventually, but i wasn't too thrilled with the game itself so moved on relatively quickly anyway.

paper mario

just a video. but it looks soooo great. even the 3d effect is really neat looking here. it's so colorful and sharp and it looks like so much fun. i'm really hyped for this.

kid icarus: uprising

flying section was great fun. controls are very intuitive. i loved the depth here and the crosshair being far away in the distance and the resulting stark contrast with pit's position. that worked really well for me. the on-foot sections have a bit of a learning curve but it baffles me just how many problems people seem to have had with them. turning is problematic, but to call the controls "broken" overall is complete hyperbole. the flying section was super smooth and controlled really well (it also looked gorgeous). i just hope the game keeps the same arcadey feel throughout and fixes the turning for the on-foot sections. then i'm happy.

nintendogs & cats

not that i have the faintest interest in this, but the 3d just worked so remarkably well here. probably the most impressive use of 3d of all the games i played. and contrary to what has been said above, i don't think it only has to do with the simplicity of the environment. unlike in most other games, it really seemed like you were looking into a room here, which obviously makes sense. and when your pets come right up to the screen and reach out with their paws or "touch" the screen, it again creates a remarkably convincing illusion. i'm really not quite sure what it is, but here everything just worked.

i didn't bother with any of the ar and mii nonsense.

general notes:

- the analog stick is excellent, just so much better than the psp's nub ever was
- the buttons in general feel just right, i'd say they have a bit more weight and feel better than the dsi(xl)'s buttons
- the black one looks so much nicer in person, holy shit
- i pre-ordered the blue one :(
- the viewing area for the 3d is very narrow, almost distractingly so
- i crashed one of the video playing devices and got into a dev menu that said the system was in 64 mb "mode", but i think someone else had already done this and people had already drawn their conclusions from it
- ubisoft guys at the press conference claimed splinter cell 3d was a completely new game. i doubt that though. anyone have more info on this?

dvolovets

Thanks for the impressions, jarosh. I wonder what the hell is up with Pilotwings. Practically everybody is having issues with the game's 3D...

Rich!

I had similar issues with Pilotwings, but my girlfriend didn't.

Ah well. Only a month left until I have my own copy anyway.

Top Bottom