• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Game Recommendations/Condemnations | Thread 2 | Two screens, three dimensions!

TWILT

Banned
Woo, finally a new thread for this!

I'd add Devil Survivor Overclocked (a really challenging, but really fun SRPG) and Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies to the OP. There are some other games in my collection I'd add, and I'll elaborate my recommendations later.

*subscribes*

BraXzy

Keep the suggestions and reviews coming guys. Don't forget to give a bit of an opinion on games both in the OP and out. I think I'll add a section underneath each game with links to GAFfers reviews for it.

I'd add Dead Or Alive Dimensions to the list. It has a really good old school DOA feel to it, and there's a story mode to provide a shortened introduction to newcomers and old players alike. Also, with the slider off, the online component feels very fast and fluid. I wonder if the costumes will be offered again for if they'll put them on the E-Shop? It's a great portable DOA fighter. (Let me add to this in a bit!)

I second this call for DOA: Dimensions. Fantastic fighter that is arguably as good as any other on 3DS.

I might also argue for New Super Mario Bros. 2, but I think the superior 3D Land is already there.

Wow. Not a soul has mentioned Kingdom Hearts. *sigh*

More story focused:
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance is the latest in the storied Action-RPG series, and the direct lead in to the long-awaited Kingdom Hearts 3. Control both Sora and Riku as they take the Mark of Mastery exam to prepare for what lies ahead. But not everything is as it seems...

More gameplay focused:
Play as Sora and Riku as they travel from world to world inspired by popular Disney movies. Play with Spirits to increase their happiness and partner with them to unleash devastating attacks on your opponents.

(I never said that I was good at it, damn)

IndustryX

Jus purchased my 3DS and the must have title is easily Zelda ALBW for me. Perfect handheld Zelda game.

Picked up sm3dl,zeldaoot,luigis mansion dark moon and pokemon y as well and Zelda ALBW hasn't left the 3ds (26 hours compared to 5 hours in 3dland being the next closest)

Mario kart, animal crossing and fire emblem are next on my list..

BraXzy

Wow. Not a soul has mentioned Kingdom Hearts. *sigh*

More story focused:
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance is the latest in the storied Action-RPG series, and the direct lead in to the long-awaited Kingdom Hearts 3. Control both Sora and Riku as they take the Mark of Mastery exam to prepare for what lies ahead. But not everything is as it seems...

More gameplay focused:
Play as Sora and Riku as they travel from world to world inspired by popular Disney movies. Play with Spirits to increase their happiness and partner with them to unleash devastating attacks on your opponents.

(I never said that I was good at it, damn)

That's another game I was thinking of adding to the list, but like you said, it hasn't been mentioned before oddly.

Shin-Megami-Tensei-IV_2012_11-30-12_030.jpg

shit

I need to start using this camera angle.

linko9

Are you being serious or have I got the wrong screenshot? I've never played the game :L

No, it's right, he's just commenting on the fact that there are basically two (actually, 3 I think, but whatever) camera angles the game lets you choose; one that's ridiculously low behind you (the one in the screenshot), but often looks dope, and one that's a bit too far up behind you. I sort of switched between them throughout the game, but ended up sticking with the higher up one (showing the floor more).

codhand

You are missing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, both excellent retail titles, and the Picross e line from the e-Shop.

Other than that, excellent thread.

same. especially Ghost Recon maaaaan, gotta be in the OP, no questions!

No, it's right, he's just commenting on the fact that there are basically two (actually, 3 I think, but whatever) camera angles the game lets you choose; one that's ridiculously low behind you (the one in the screenshot), but often looks dope, and one that's a bit too far up behind you. I sort of switched between them throughout the game, but ended up sticking with the higher up one (showing the floor more).

I don't remember finding the really low angle other than when you examine a ladder or hole but you can't move in the angle.

RM8

I might also argue for New Super Mario Bros. 2, but I think the superior 3D Land is already there.
But they're different games, though. If you only plan to play one Mario platformer on 3DS, then yeah, I'd recommend 3D Land, but NSMB2 is one of my favorite 2D Mario games and I actually have played it more than 3D Land. I love Coin Rush, and there's just something really satisfying about 2D Mario to me :p

So, is Kid Icarus really a must buy game? I saw it at Toys R Us, so it must've gotten re-printed. I'm more dextrous with my left hand, so that would limit my control options.

So, is Kid Icarus really a must buy game? I saw it at Toys R Us, so it must've gotten re-printed. I'm more dextrous with my left hand, so that would limit my control options.

Worth it for the sheer insanity of a full multiplayer match alone. Even if only once, it's chaotic as all hell, and seriously unhinged.

Yes. Massively replayable, Smash Bros. numbers of achievements/rewards/unlockables, beautiful graphics, unpredictable and fun story, genuine humor, and lots more.
Definitely among the absolute best the 3DS has to offer.

OK next questions -
SMT 4: is it worth paying $20 extra for the LE box? I bought it at $30, but it's just the game in a normal case. I've played the series before, so I am not a total newb to SMT.

Also, Kingdom Hearts DDD, I bought this for cheap ($15 seems cheap for a retail game anyway), and I like the graphics and flying around, but I just can't seem to figure out where the game is telling me to go... So how do I know where to go next? (I'm thinking I should start trying to avoid buying games that are yet another example of going from point A to B as the main way to move the plot forward.)

Yes. Massively replayable, Smash Bros. numbers of achievements/rewards/unlockables, beautiful graphics, unpredictable and fun story, genuine humor, and lots more.
Definitely among the absolute best the 3DS has to offer.

I watched a YouTube video about the controls, and it looked like you could play with the buttons only. Is this true?

I watched a YouTube video about the controls, and it looked like you could play with the buttons only. Is this true?

I never used any other control method than circle pad + stylus so I don't remember but I believe there was a ABXY control scheme as well.
Sort of clunky and slower, though. Would require a lot of finagling in the sensitivity settings for the game if you wanted to use it.

Salsa

bought a cart only MK7 for $28 (p.good deal around here)

zlCfzROYjMIHfDhm7q

it's gewd, plenty of people on my friend list still playing it

I've thought about getting it. I probably will someday since there probably won't be another Mario Kart on 3DS. Still haven't got that, KI, new Zelda, Pokémon X or Y, and I liked the demo of the new Sonic Lost World 3DS.

Some recommendations from me:

Luigi's Mansion 2 (+)
Fantastic game, full of character and with amazing attention to detail, catchy music and great graphical style. Gameplay has been well translated to handheld. Excellent variety of enemies and full of humour. Well designed for bitesize play sessions. Good multiplayer modes, both online and also local 2 player via download play - only 1 of you need own the game to play local multiplayer. Boss battles slightly underwhelming. Worthy follow up to the GC original. Highly recommended.

Mario Kart 7 (+)
For me, the best version of the game yet. Super smooth 60fps gameplay and excellent mix of tracks, both new and reworked golden oldies. Excellent online multiplayer which runs smooth and, in my experience, no lag. Local multi is great fun too, with a good mix of modes and levels. AI characters still cheat like fuck. You may get enraged. Highly recommended.

Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy (+)
Great fun, great use of 3d, fantastic atmospheric OST. Silly plot. Often funny dialog. Tons of additional content including daily puzzles for a whole year. May not be for everyone but I love it.
If you like Layton, get this game. If you want to try Layton, I'd recommend playing Miracle Mask first as this one follows on from that game and you get more out of this one if you play Miracle Mask first.

Mario and Luigi - Dream Team (+)
Excellent, if slightly overly long RPG style Mario game. Plus points: Great characterisation and spritework. God-tier OST. Often funny dialog. Original 2 screen 'giant' boss battles. Varied locations and enemies/enemy attack patterns.
Negatives: Too much hand holding early on. Last few hours are a bit of a slog.
The negatives shouldn't detract too much though - I'd thoroughly recommend this game - once it sinks it's hooks in, you'll be consumed by the fantastic world AlphaDream has created. Highly recommended.

Bike Rider DX (+)
Great value little game. Basically a kind of endless runner type game, but on a pushbike. Simplistic graphics, simplistic but fun and addictive gameplay. Cool music. Really good fun for the price. I'd recommend giving it a try. If you don't like it, you've only lost a few quid/dollars.

More impressions from me soon.....

Salsa

bought the Ace Attorney 5 DLC and DK'94 for a total of $10 extra I had lying around

considering picking up Mario Picross for 100 nintendo points

I'm so confused, so kid icarus is supposed to be amazing right? am I supposed to buy the circle pad pro or not? I read it doesnt make the controls any better? What games does the circle pad pro work with and why should I get it?

Majestad

Banned
Anyone who doesn't have Shin Megami Tensei IV needs to buy it ASAP!

I'm so confused, so kid icarus is supposed to be amazing right? am I supposed to buy the circle pad pro or not? I read it doesnt make the controls any better? What games does the circle pad pro work with and why should I get it?

I think Kid Icarus is one of the greatest portable games ever created. Top 5 easily. You don't need a circle pad for it.

Some people say games like Resident Evil Revelations are better played with the circle pad pro, although I didn't have any problem playing it without it.

Anyone who doesn't have Shin Megami Tensei IV needs to buy it ASAP!

I think Kid Icarus is one of the greatest portable games ever created. Top 5 easily. You don't need a circle pad for it.

Some people say games like Resident Evil Revelations are better played with the circle pad pro, although I didn't have any problem playing it without it.

Does it make kid icarus easier on the hands to play?

How does EO4 stack up to Millenium Girl? I'm still not totally clear on the major differences aside from the latter being more story-based I guess?

EO4 is a more solid title with more to do in my opinion. It has better classes and a better advancement system.

EOU:MG is a straight up remake of EO1 whith the new graphics and engine of EO4. It also has two play modes; a classic mode that is essentially just the first game, and a story mode that tacks on a story, two new classes, and a premade party of characters to play with. The class system in story mode is a bit lackluster and I think the grimoire system is a bit tedious.

If I were to pick just one to recommend it would definitely be EO4, but if you like one you'll likely enjoy the other. It's like the difference between games that I would give a 90/100 and an 80/100. Both solid, but one edges the other out.

How does EO4 stack up to Millenium Girl? I'm still not totally clear on the major differences aside from the latter being more story-based I guess?

EO: Untold is a remake of the 1st game with a classic/story mode.

EO:4 is the 4th game in the series and I'd easily say it's a better title than Untold, the story is not something the series needed and it was kinda boring for me even if I liked the characters. The class progression in 4 is better and more enjoyable too. 4 also has a better OST.

If you haven't played any EO, I really recommend 4 as your first one. Another thing is that all of Untold is a dungeon with many floors while in 4 you're actually in a ship traveling from dungeon to dungeon, both games have great demos that actually let you send your progress from them to the full game.

awesome a new general 3ds thread

fantastic op

here's some more games I would gladly add to the op and I'm positive people agree :)

New Super Mario Bros 2
Tekken 3D
Dead or Alive Dimensions
Cave Story(eshop)
Mario and Luigi Dream Team
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
Rune Factory 4
Crimson Shroud(eshop)
Nano Assault EX(eshop)
Ace Attorney 5
Harvest Moon a New Beginning

theres some videos here

jd78

Neo Member
EO: Untold is a remake of the 1st game with a classic/story mode.

EO:4 is the 4th game in the series and I'd easily say it's a better title than Untold, the story is not something the series needed and it was kinda boring for me even if I liked the characters. The class progression in 4 is better and more enjoyable too. 4 also has a better OST.

If you haven't played any EO, I really recommend 4 as your first one. Another thing is that all of Untold is a dungeon with many floors while in 4 you're actually in a ship traveling from dungeon to dungeon, both games have great demos that actually let you send your progress from them to the full game.

Does EO4 have a story or does the series traditionally not have one?

BraXzy

How is the Tales of the Abyss 3DS port?

I only briefly played the start of it, it's on my list of games to beat, but it seemed pretty good. From what I've heard, it is a direct port of the PS2 version, IDK if you played that?

It doesn't seem like there is a demo on the eShop which is a shame, they need to have more demo's on there!

Top Bottom