• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Game Recommendations/Condemnations | Thread 2 | Two screens, three dimensions!

Samyy

What do you guys think is a good long game for a super long plane ride? Going to be on planes for at least 24 hours this holiday :/

maxcriden

What do you guys think is a good long game for a super long plane ride? Going to be on planes for at least 24 hours this holiday :/

If you're into RPGs, I imagine FE: A is a good pick. If you like Mario and Luigi RPGs, Dream Team is extremely long with tons to do. I'm 30 hrs in and still have a ton to do. If you like platformers, DKCR3D I've put 65+ hrs into and still have a lot to do. I can strongly recommend the latter two, and I know people love FE: A.

Samyy

If you're into RPGs, I imagine FE: A is a good pick. If you like Mario and Luigi RPGs, Dream Team is extremely long with tons to do. I'm 30 hrs in and still have a ton to do. If you like platformers, DKCR3D I've put 65+ hrs into and still have a lot to do. I can strongly recommend the latter two, and I know people love FE: A.

Ah okay well I already beat Fire Emblem so I'll look into the Mario and Luigi RPGs, never played one before!

Heck I've barely played any Nintendo games before so maybe I'll look into DKCR3D too.

BraXzy

If you haven't already beaten them, the recent Pokemon titles or Luigi's Mansion 2 could be a great possibility.

maxcriden

Ah okay well I already beat Fire Emblem so I'll look into the Mario and Luigi RPGs, never played one before!

Heck I've barely played any Nintendo games before so maybe I'll look into DKCR3D too.

Wow, you are in for a treat! Yeah, DKCR3D is amazing, easily one of my favorite platformers ever. And Dream Team is a completely good place to start with the series. Bowser's Inside Story (DS) is amazing as well, not sure if it's quite as long though. Both are great.

ETA: As BraXzy said above, Pokemon and LM would be good picks too. The core LM is about 20 hrs though. (I hear Pokemon is much longer.)

maxcriden

Ah, that's cool. I'd heard of it, I didn't even realize it was officially going to be on 3DS. It looks cool.

It's going to be awesome.

BXx4av4CQAAs4CI.jpg:small

If you haven't already beaten them, the recent Pokemon titles or Luigi's Mansion 2 could be a great possibility.

Wow, you are in for a treat! Yeah, DKCR3D is amazing, easily one of my favorite platformers ever. And Dream Team is a completely good place to start with the series. Bowser's Inside Story (DS) is amazing as well, not sure if it's quite as long though. Both are great.

ETA: As BraXzy said above, Pokemon and LM would be good picks too. The core LM is about 20 hrs though. (I hear Pokemon is much longer.)

Ive put 180+ hours into pokemon. I think it will hold you Samyy.

Draconian

I'm gonna probably do a few write-ups of games over the next few days (probably one at a time).

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (+)
One of the best games ever created, Ocarina of Time is an adventure memorable for a number of reasons, its setting, its characters, the twists and turns of its narrative, (I won't spoil anything outside of that) and most importantly its gameplay. The combat is fun, the sidequests are bountiful, and the puzzles are all very clever here and perhaps most importantly, the game has held up incredibly well. There's only a handful of things that show age (like the emptiness of Hyrule Field), but it's pretty amazing how much in this game is still pretty much the standard for 3D adventure games nowadays. The best thing about this game and in turn the Zelda series is the sense of discovery, whether it be in caves, discovering a new heart piece, or visiting a new location, as well as starting off the game extremely weak, but by the end of the game, feeling strong and powerful like the name the "Hero of Time" implies.

When you load this game up and watch Link riding on Epona across the landscape of Hyrule, with Koji Kondo's poignant main theme playing, you can just tell that this is one of "those kinds of games," the ones are a landmark achievement and will never be forgotten. If you haven't played the game, this is the definitive version, and Hyrule has been waiting for you to come and save it for the longest time!

If you've already played the game, what's your incentive to get this, you ask? The issues in the original version with the Iron Boots in the Water Temple have been largely addressed. The boots are treated as an item and can be put on and taken off with one touch of the stylus without having to pause and going into the menu. There's also the Master Quest mode, which remixes the dungeons, doubles the damage, and mirrors the entire game. If you've ever felt 3D Zelda games were too easy, Master Quest has you covered. Unfortunately, you have to beat it on the original mode once to unlock this, but I can't wait to go through this mode sometime next year when I pick this up again. Also included in the package is a Boss Rush mode, which lets you replay any boss fight in the game in an attempt for you to see if you can beat your previous times.

Anyway, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is a must buy if you've never played it before, and even if you have, if it's been awhile, it's still worth a look. You're looking at one of the greatest games of all-time here, and in my book, this is still the best game on the 3DS.

Neiteio

I'm still blown away by the improvements made to OoT. Such a perfect update to a perfect game, from the visual facelift with the new textures, stable frame-rate, widescreen, 3D, cleaned-up HUD, etc, to the use of the touchscreen for swapping items, to the added details in the item shops and touches like the path markers in the Water Temple. Of course you have an improved Master Quest that mirrors the whole world and changes damage calculations in addition to remixing the dungeons. You have a boss rush mode, you have optional hint stones and optional gyro camera control. It's just... perfect.

BraXzy

I'm still blown away by the improvements made to OoT. Such a perfect update to a perfect game, from the visual facelift with the new textures, stable frame-rate, widescreen, 3D, cleaned-up HUD, etc, to the use of the touchscreen for swapping items, to the added details in the item shops and touches like the path markers in the Water Temple. Of course you have an improved Master Quest that mirrors the whole world and changes damage calculations in addition to remixing the dungeons. You have a boss rush mode, you have optional hint stones and optional gyro camera control. It's just... perfect.

It is a really well made remake. I never played the original so I for one am glad for a second chance!

Mephala

I guess this'll be the closest I'll come to condemning a game. It is more of a warning of what the game offers than to say stay away..

Project X Zone
This game does a few things right but also a few things wrong. Personally, while I enjoyed the game I wish I bought it later with a better deal rather than at retail price. I will first begin with what I feel this game offers best and does extremely well.
  • Crossover Fan Service - The game features many characters from different games and series such as Tales of Vesperia's Yuri, Street Fighter's Ryu, Tekken's Jin, Dante from Devil May Cry, KOS-MOS, Chris Redfield, Vashryon, Megaman Zero and many others. The characters will talk and banter with each other in the story, they use their signature moves and some even comment on history from previous cross over games.
  • Fun Combat & Combo system - The combo system rewards you when you time your attacks such that you juggle enemies at the last moment rather than just throwing everything out randomly. You will also only earn bonus meter when comboing with support or allied units. The combat is stylish and can be fun. It reminds me of Valkyrie Profile in that I send my characters out to perform their attacks and I practice to achieve optimal timing for best damage and crystal gains.
  • Music - Something I didn't expect to enjoy as much as I did. A lot of tracks I am unfamiliar with but I enjoyed and there are some that are obvious remixes of themes from a character's game.
  • Beautiful Animations - The animations are gorgeous. Just take a look at these I shamelessly stole from the OT.
    i9JArS6jhythd.gif

y1423do0

av3q3q.gif

Now onto why I would not recommend this game.
  • Length and Pacing - The game is long. It has over 40 chapters and some of them take a lot of time partly because of the sheer number of enemies on the map and partly because each attack requires combos to do decent damage. This all adds up and while the animation is stunning, the combat is fun, after an hour on the same stage you feel a bit drained. You spend a good portion of the game just collecting characters and the game needlessly teases you by showing some of the characters in scenes and dialogues then hides them away for later.
  • Difficulty and tactics/strategy - The game is setup in a strategy game format with units moving on a gridbased map where you can surround and attack enemies or hide allies behind friendly units. The problem is, most strategy games offers units with different classes that have strengths/weakness (Knight in Fire Emblem or Archers Tactics Ogre) or play only certain roles on the field(Anti-Air in Advance Wars or White Mage/Clerics in Final Fantasy Tactics).. PxZ tried to do this a little, some units have naturally higher stats in some areas such as HP or attack/defense. But the difference is negligible and the game greatly favours those with high attack power as they can kill the enemy more quickly as well as build meter to help others do the same. Consumables are plentiful, even without checking each chest and destructible placed on the map. The game encourages you to use consumables too with its low max item limit I was frequently at the max count and never did I get close to running low on items. The few tougher stages are made significantly easier if you choose to use items.
    The combat system is fun, with mastery of timing your attacks and working out which characters to use to break guards etc but the strategy involved is not great. Certain units being quite a bit better than most of the others doesn't help matters either.
  • Fan Service - The inclusion of so many characters is great but forcing you to play as so many of them so often is a bit much. Especially if there are some characters you're not too fond and you're forced to use any way... repeatedly.
    There is also, unsurprisingly a lot of the other kind of fan service. (Possibly NSFW: Fan Service). This is mostly a minor complaint for me but I know people who really dislike this stuff that is pretty rampant in Japanese culture and animes etc.
  • Lack of Customisations - Equipment doesn't offer too much change, the customisation in this game I feel come from how you setup your teams. The problem is that it isn't very flexible and there isn't too much you can play around with when you are using so many characters and almost all of them are decent attackers with a few being exceptional. There are a lot of duplicate skills between characters and some skills can also be passively gained through equipment found later.

My final verdict is to TRY THE DEMO FIRST. If you enjoy the crossover fan service stuff and find the combat fun like I did you will mostly likely enjoy the game. However, outside of the combo combat is not very deep. Still fun, but I'm not sure it is 40+ hours of fun. I had to put the game down and play in short bursts to finish it. I really enjoyed it but I'm not sure I would play it again.

Damn, I didnt realize they made so many updates to it. I though it was just a port with better textures. I'm playing a link between worlds for my first 3ds game so Ill probably be zelda'd out. I think either pokemon or luigi will be my next game. After that I am for sure picking this up!

BraXzy

Project X Zone sounds decent for people who are fans of all the different franchises involved, I personally wouldn't be that interested in it. I'm looking forward to Smash Bros. hopefully it'll work well on the 3DS.

Card Boy

Banned
Just got Tales of the Abyss sealed and new for $40 Australian. If worse comes to worse and i don't like it (which is unlikely) i can always sell it for a profit on eBay as its very rare here in Australia.

GeekyDad

Just got Tales of the Abyss sealed and new for $40 Australian. If worse comes to worse and i don't like it (which is unlikely) i can always sell it for a profit on eBay as its very rare here in Australia.

Strictly it terms of gameplay, it's a really good Tales game, sans the copious amounts of backtracking. The dialogue, though, has probably got to be the worst in the series and some of the worst in a JRPG period, and that's really saying something. The story is beyond bad. They tease some interesting metaphysical ideas, but they don't seem to know how to express them with any coherent meaning. Anise is about the only saving grace in terms of characters. Her silliness makes it doable.

It's a fun ride, nonetheless.

Draconian

Anybody played the new Mario and Luigi? It's been on my list of games to pick up eventually, but I looked in the OP and it isn't there. Was it disappointing then?

Anybody played the new Mario and Luigi? It's been on my list of games to pick up eventually, but I looked in the OP and it isn't there. Was it disappointing then?

I gave some brief impressions on page 2 of this topic. In short, I'd recommend it with a few slight reservations that shouldn't stop your enjoyment unless you're a real nit-picker.

Gazoinks

Strictly it terms of gameplay, it's a really good Tales game, sans the copious amounts of backtracking. The dialogue, though, has probably got to be the worst in the series and some of the worst in a JRPG period, and that's really saying something. The story is beyond bad. They tease some interesting metaphysical ideas, but they don't seem to know how to express them with any coherent meaning. Anise is about the only saving grace in terms of characters. Her silliness makes it doable.

It's a fun ride, nonetheless.

Is the writing at least bad in a funny way, or is it just bad?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I've played it through the first trip in the dream world and so far I like it.
Except for that "french" character who will not shut up.
But I haven't played any M&L games so I'm probably going to end up liking it more than people familiar with the franchise because it's all new and exciting to me.

How's StarFox 64 3D? I'm thinking of picking it up as it's relatively cheap on Amazon, but I'm wondering if Kid Icarus is a better use of limited funds. They're probably not directly comparable, but given that they share some elements, what would be best?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
How's StarFox 64 3D? I'm thinking of picking it up as it's relatively cheap on Amazon, but I'm wondering if Kid Icarus is a better use of limited funds. They're probably not directly comparable, but given that they share some elements, what would be best?
I went with Star Fox 64 because I fucking love that game. Also this trailer completely turned me off of Kid Icarus with the annoying voice acting
shut up, star fox voice acting is classic!
and seeing that it has a stupid loot drop system.

I went with Star Fox 64 because I fucking love that game. Also this trailer completely turned me off of Kid Icarus with the annoying voice acting
shut up, star fox voice acting is classic!
and seeing that it has a stupid loot drop system.

Yeah, I might just go with Star Fox, especially as it's half the price. Can get the other one next year. Thanks!

Ninja Dom

Thought I'd drop this question in here:

Does the 3DS YouTube play 3D videos??

Has anybody converted any 3D movies to be able to watch in 3D on the 3DS (Mac User here)??

maxcriden

Personally I love it so far, about 30 hrs in. Here are my impressions from the LTTP thread:

I'm about 30 hrs in and really loving the game. I have to say the game has really surprised me after the poor word of mouth and pretty slow beginning. The sidequests like collecting the Pi'llos and completing Expert Challenges are legitimately quite difficult. I like the Camera sidequest a lot as well. The NPCs in this game are hilarious, especially the Yoshis. I'll try to take a couple Miiverse shots and post them in here. It's a really fun game.

RM8

Yeah, I might just go with Star Fox, especially as it's half the price. Can get the other one next year. Thanks!
I kind of want to buy StarFox too, and Kid Icarus doesn't really appeal to me :p I think StarFox looks way better than OoT3D remake-wise.

Thought I'd drop this question in here:

Does the 3DS YouTube play 3D videos??

Has anybody converted any 3D movies to be able to watch in 3D on the 3DS (Mac User here)??
There's a tool for this on Windows, not sure about Mac. I don't even remember the name, will post it later :p

I kind of want to buy StarFox too, and Kid Icarus doesn't really appeal to me :p I think StarFox looks way better than OoT3D remake-wise.

I'm also very interested in OoT 3D, but I really think I'll hold off until Majora's Mask 3D is released (fingers crossed) and pick them both up together. I always pair the two games together in my mind so it feels like something is missing in the 3DS library, and I wouldn't like to end up with just one.

BraXzy

No one has really mentioned it yet, so I haven't included it yet. Like I said, if there is a general consensus on a game I'll throw it in the OP :)

RM8

I thought the demo was fun, and it's an incredibly good looking game, but people are saying it has intense hand-holding and is uber long... I really don't enjoy those things.

RM8

Speaking of Mario RPGs or actually non-RPGs, it hurts my soul that GAF hates my favorite 3DS game :( And not in small part because it's different from Paper Mario on N64.

Santiako

Speaking of Mario RPGs or actually non-RPGs, it hurts my soul that GAF hates my favorite 3DS game :( And not in small part because it's different from Paper Mario on N64.
Sticker Star is the best Paper Mario IMO, it's such a smart game.

Gagaman

Are any of the Level 5 'Guild' eShop games worth getting? They are all a fiver on sale until the new year. Quite a few of them look interesting..

Santiako

Are any of the Level 5 'Guild' eShop games worth getting? They are all a fiver on sale until the new year. Quite a few of them look interesting..
I've only played Liberation Maiden, which I thought it was terrible, and Crimson Shroud, which is awesome.

m0t0k1

Well ill do a short write up of my top 3 games on the system and hope they get added to the OP.

1. Dead or Alive Dimensions:
I see the SF4 is on the list. But this is the better portable fighting game and my favorite game on the 3ds. It has a fun story mode where you get a recap of the first 4 dead or alive games. In this mode you can unlock characters and clothing. Also there are lots of other modes and a really cool one that they should add to miiverse and that is the photomode. you win little tropies for playing the game and you can take photos of them. Also the fighting is really good and addictive the box is right one more fight. ill keep playing. Stages are also very good very interactive. The feeling when you kick your oponent down the stairs and then jump on him to surf down on him is truly priceless.

2. Rythm Thief:
I really love old skool sega rhythm games like samba de amigo and space channel 5. You are ralph and looking for your father who went missing. One day you get a clue to his wearabouts and go investing as the Rythm Thief. There are all kind of little rhythm games and has a lot of divirsity. Also this is kind of like professor Layton and the 3d in the animated scenes is amazing. People have trouble with the motion sensor games but i have no problem at all. This game also use everything the 3ds has to offer button games, touchscreen games, sensor games, spotpass and good 3d. If you love rhythm games buy this.

3. Paper Mario Sticker Star:
I truly dont get the hate for this game. I am probably in the minorty of realing loving this game. It is kind of like an old skool adventure games. No Hints No Handholding. Peach is kidnapped good look saving her. Along the way you meet nice npc's and love the use of stickers. They are used for everything, for puzzles and for batteling. I also heard lots of people got stuck but if you take your time and research everything you dont get stuck. sometimes i was stumbed for a bit but that is what i love i needed to think and nobody is going to help you but everything was obvious. Also the 3d in this game is probably the best use of it yet.

Ninja Dom

Well ill do a short write up of my top 3 games on the system and hope they get added to the OP.

1. Dead or Alive Dimensions:
I see the SF4 is on the list. But this is the better portable fighting game and my favorite game on the 3ds. It has a fun story mode where you get a recap of the first 4 dead or alive games. In this mode you can unlock characters and clothing. Also there are lots of other modes and a really cool one that they should add to miiverse and that is the photomode. you win little tropies for playing the game and you can take photos of them. Also the fighting is really good and addictive the box is right one more fight. ill keep playing. Stages are also very good very interactive. The feeling when you kick your opponent down the stairs and then jump on him to surf down on him is truly priceless.

Great game, absolutely loved it and the story mode is really nice with a nice use of 3D.

Only gripe is that the arcade mode isn't a traditional arcade mode as you know it from other fighters. But still great game with great graphics.

Heysoos

So I just got SMT Devil Summoners Soul Hackers, well I bought it a while back when it was on sale on Amazon for like 10 bucks, but I just barely received it. I didn't do any research on it though, is it worth a playthrough? I still need to finish Pokemon Y/Fire Emblem and I have SMT IV coming in today too.

RM8

Sticker Star is the best Paper Mario IMO, it's such a smart game.
I know. Fantastic game, quite a departure from not only the first two, but also from SPM. People want Nintendo to be more risky, then cry when stuff like this happens. Well, GAF, since it actually sold well (in Japan it became the best selling PM game). It's not a flawless game, but it's a fun, creative, charming, great looking, great sounding game. Probably my favorite puzzle-adventure game.

I have been interested in Bugs vs. Tanks right from the start, yet I haven't bought it. Looks fun :p

3. Paper Mario Sticker Star:
I truly dont get the hate for this game. I am probably in the minorty of realing loving this game. It is kind of like an old skool adventure games. No Hints No Handholding. Peach is kidnapped good look saving her. Along the way you meet nice npc's and love the use of stickers. They are used for everything, for puzzles and for batteling. I also heard lots of people got stuck but if you take your time and research everything you dont get stuck. sometimes i was stumbed for a bit but that is what i love i needed to think and nobody is going to help you but everything was obvious. Also the 3d in this game is probably the best use of it yet.
Basically. And yes, it really has the best use of 3D yet.

Clockwork5

If you think a game is missing, or shouldn't be included, and there is a general agreement, I will update the OT as necessary!

Thanks for making an updated thread! I will be adding some reviews soon but in the meantime I think a link to the DS megathread is appropriate.

DS Megathread

It is a great thread to have for people like me who never had a DS and are only now exploring its library

Top Bottom