• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"3DS has a long life in front of it. They’re going to coexist just fine." - Reggie

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The whole "full combined might of Nintendo's development on Switch" was created by fans. As if Nintendo's just going to drop their best selling hardware on Wii U's unproven successor.

"3DS has a long and happy life ahead of itself." Reggie told us as he jammed a knife through the heart of 3DS and started twisting said knife.

As blood started splattering onto Reggies face "Consumers love choice, candidly." he continued.

Pejo

Gold Member
Ah man, I was hoping this was just market speak. I desperately don't want to see Monster Hunter 5 remain 3DS exclusive just so Capcom doesn't have to create new textures or move off of a 240p screen.

Alienfan

The switch may as well be a Wii U 2 at this point, it's more a console than a handheld based on the games they're offering. Very disappointing, hopefully this changes.

Maxinas

Ah man, I was hoping this was just market speak. I desperately don't want to see Monster Hunter 5 remain 3DS exclusive just so Capcom doesn't have to create new textures or move off of a 240p screen.

Japan's been getting a MH game almost every year for the 3ds, MHXX will release this year in March, so i seriously doubt they will release another MH until 2018, and chances are it could be a Switch version.

KingV

The thing is, there is a vocal group of Switch buyers who do not want them to coexist. They want the Switch to be both the successor to the Wii U and the 3ds. Having both styles of games would be nice.

I suspect that Nintendo is hedging their bets with the switch.

3DS had a rough start at $250 and Nintendo doesn't want to be the farm on a $300 price point and accidentally kill their one healthy platform.

My guess is that their goal is to have Nintendo experiences at a range of prices, and the best way to do that now is to continue to cross develop some games for both the switch and the 3DS.

1-2 years from now, switch prices will have dropped enough for Version 1 of the switch to be that entry price point, and Nintendo will be ready with the next Switch revision, based on 14nm Pascal, and so on going forward.

So Nintendo will be on a common architecture with multiple price points and performance.

hao chi

The whole "full combined might of Nintendo's development on Switch" was created by fans. As if Nintendo's just going to drop their best selling hardware on Wii U's unproven successor.

I don't expect their support of the 3DS to continue much longer unless the Switch ends up bombing, and the fact that the 3DS is getting a reimagining of FE Gaiden while the Switch is getting what is presumably the next mainline entry in the series further confirms to be that Nintendo is moving their handheld series to the Switch.

I suspect that Nintendo is hedging their bets with the switch.

3DS had a rough start at $250 and Nintendo doesn't want to be the farm on a $300 price point and accidentally kill their one healthy platform.

My guess is that their goal is to have Nintendo experiences at a range of prices, and the best way to do that now is to continue to cross develop some games for both the switch and the 3DS.

1-2 years from now, switch prices will have dropped enough for Version 1 of the switch to be that entry price point, and Nintendo will be ready with the next Switch revision, based on 14nm Pascal, and so on going forward.

So Nintendo will be on a common architecture with multiple price points and performance.

I imagine Switch ports of most everything in development would be a wise choice. It is a shame this hasn't been communicated just yet from Nintendo.

They did drop the Wii relatively early in favor of the Wii U. Sure, they couldn't keep that grossly outdated piece of hardware afloat forever, but it's not like the 3DS is not a technological dinosaur either.

Moneal

I don't see why they can't keep supporting the 3DS while also offering those games in the Switch. Moreso when there's apparently no issue in making FE Warriors crossgen.

But of the first parties, the only one that does cross gen is Nintendo. Sony does cross gen for baseball, but its essentially the same way EA does cross gen sports aka roster update.

That seems to be people's problem with Nintendo not focusing solely on Switch. When Sony announces a new console you know their new games are only going to come to that new console, same for MS.

Both show full confidence in their new system by leaving the old systems. Switch isn't being seen or shown by Nintendo as the successor to the 3DS. If it is going to be they should have done it right from the start. Now they don't look confident, so why should consumers.

The Super Nintendo also had some games coming out after N64. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble came out only a few months after the N64 launched, and Kirby's Dream Land 3 came out way later in late 1997.

That was probably the last time they did that in the console space, though. N64, GCN, Wii and Wii U all basically fizzled out about a year before their successors came out.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don't expect their support of the 3DS to continue much longer unless the Switch ends up bombing, and the fact that the 3DS is getting a reimagining of FE Gaiden while the Switch is getting what is presumably the next mainline entry in the series further confirms to be that Nintendo is moving their handheld series to the Switch.

It's too risky to cut 3DS until they see how Switch performs in the market. No matter how much longer 3DS is supported it's going to need games, and that's resources taken away from Switch. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a 3DS successor in the works as a backup plan.

Cuburt

I am happy 3DS is still getting more support going forward, I just hope Nintendo makes good on their promises of a "family of systems" and that the Switch can get the benefit of the combination of a unifying of resources meaning 3DS development only means it can easily come to the Switch and not that resources are still very much split between one version and another. Maybe we don't see the full benefit until a true 3DS successor or whatever next piece of hardware that Nintendo might make in their new family of systems, but I think it's important that it starts now with the Switch. Guess we will see.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They did drop the Wii relatively early in favor of the Wii U. Sure, they couldn't keep that grossly outdated piece of hardware afloat forever, but it's not like the 3DS is not a technological dinosaur either.

Wii was dead by the time Wii U hit.

Wii U is dead while we await Switch.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Except on Wii.
True, they did totally screw the pooch with ending development there prematurely. A few decently late-game releases there could have served well to insulate them from Wii U's failure a bit. Hopefully they learned a lesson there.

(Though the platform did see fairly significant continued support, if not from them. Just Dance and the toys-to-life games sold boatloads on Wii after Wii U was a thing.)

ksamedi

So we will see maybe one or two games a this year from Nintendo internal devs. The rest will be from strategic aliances and second or third parties. Most of their A devs are working on Switch. They still sell lots of software on it, why should the abonden it now?

hao chi

It's too risky to cut 3DS until they see how Switch performs in the market. No matter how much longer 3DS is supported it's going to need games, and that's resources taken away from Switch. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a 3DS successor in the works as a backup plan.

I wouldn't be surprised either if Nintendo had a contingency plan for the Switch failing, but if the Switch is performing satisfactorily after 12 - 18 months, I think they'll drop their 3DS support and fully back the Switch.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I'ma put alil hope forth for a DQ Monster: Joker 3 Pro localization. Its not even out yet in japan until next month but it'd be a nice end of the year lineup filler for NA/EU!

Nice exit strategy. It's very easy to recycle the existing assets anyway. Maybe this year we'll get another Kirby based on Triple Deluxe. And another Zelda based on ALBW.

There are 1,000 3DS titles out there that can be recycled.

Wtf? I was slowly coming around to the idea of the Switch as a handheld, despite a presentation that kept adding evidence to it otherwise.

If this is meant to be a portable more than a console, kill your previous portable. Well...not that he could've said Switch and Wii U can co-exist as the Wii U's not really...existing...anymore.

JayBabay

The reason I recently bought a Nintendo 3DS and chose it over the PSVita is because of the way the experiences feel like they are suited for handheld. I prefer that over console like experiences on the go. Sure, I played N64 Zelda's but I also loved that I had those simpler titles like Fire Emblem, Link Between Worlds and Bravely Default.

I hope that if everyone's wish comes true and the Switch completely replaces the 3DS, that devs aren't only going to aim to produce console like experiences. I was very excited to see Project Octopath because it is perfect for the switch. That and games like I Am Setsuna are the kind of experience I want on the Switch to go alongside titles like Breath of the Wild. That would be a perfect hybrid.

Calcium

Banned
I was under the impression that the Switch was meant to merge the handheld and console aspects of Nintendo. You confuse me, Reggie, you really do.

notaskwid

The 3ds is basically wide open to hacking, you literally don't need to buy anything, it's hackable out of the box.
Its also horrendously outdated hardware.
Time to put it to rest.

Randomizer

The 3DS lineup currently has more games that I want than the Switch's lineup. But the Switch has bigger more hyped titles like Zelda and Mario.

I believe it now, that we have not one, but two major first party offerings hitting in 2017 (the two FE games).

At this point, I'll put money on Pokemon Stars being 3DS-exclusive, or at the very least cross-gen.

I was under the impression that the Switch was meant to merge the handheld and console aspects of Nintendo. You confuse me, Reggie, you really do.

Yeah, this is definitely gonna make some people question that or at least the confidence in that. Even Warriors that just got announced at the Switch launch event less than a week ago like it was a Switch exclusive is coming to both, I think it is damaging to the Switch launch.

If that happens (and the game remains Nintendo exclusive, so they had a deal for it), they are truly throwing the Switch under the bus in regards to proving it's getting more of their resources than the Wii U.

LeleSocho

Banned
I can tell a number of you would have complained as well if they promptly killed off 3DS support

The complainers would be dumb, the 3DS is 6 years old which is plenty enough to warrant lack of support for the platform, not only that but with how mobile technology has evolved in the last decade the 3DS actually feels like a goddamn dinosaur.
Continuing serious support for this console is sincerely anachronistic.

NolbertoS

Reggie gonna PR. Seeing Nintendo track record on not dropping a past piece of there technology, I'm willing to wager 3DS will be dropped like a bar of soap, as soon as Switch gets marketshare

You can tell by the way he says that Switch will house "the latest and greatest from Nintendo" contrasting with saying that we will see "a few key titles" this year for 3DS that 3DS is going to be pretty much done after this year. It should still have a good 2017 though.

dan2026

I feel like I have no idea what the Switch is supposed to be.
I assumed the idea was it would be the go to place for all Nintendos games. A combined platform.

Now I haven't got a clue. Worryingly, maybe Nintendo haven't either.

Nintendo as always will let the market decide which systems will stay and which one will go. Nothing new here. Just the usual PR line when a new system is released.

The complainers would be dumb, the 3DS is 6 years old which is plenty enough to warrant lack of support for the platform, not only that but with how mobile technology has evolved in the last decade the 3DS actually feels like a goddamn dinosaur.
Continuing serious support for this console is sincerely anachronistic.

This new Fire Emblem is coming out just two months after the Switch launches, and it's obviously been in development for a while. After that, we've got what, Ever Oasis and some Pikmin spin-off? Plus Fire Emblem Warriors, but that's just a Switch downport.

Not every project is ideal to move to the Switch, especially if there's dual screen usage. Wii U projects would have been easier to move (and it seems they have been) because the graphics fidelity and architecture is much more similar. And you can bet if that Fire Emblem game got a hasty port without completely reworking the character models and other assets from scratch there would still be a lot of complaining.

Remember that the DS got a few releases after the 3DS came out, like Kirby Mass Attack. It's not a huge deal.

I don't get how releasing these new Fire Emblem games on 3DS is a bad thing..? Like don't get me wrong, the Switch is in dire need of a healthy lineup of games, but canceling this in favor of a Switch version wasn't going to happen. Hell, releasing this AND a Switch version likely would've been extremely difficult, no? Especially when the consoles are such different hardware.

Enjoy your Fire Emblem on 3DS, an HD Switch release is coming.

3DS is where theyre making money right now, especially after the uplift from Pokemon last year. 3DS is their profit machine.

Its gonna take Switch a year or so before Nintendo starts making significant profits from it, and thats really only if it takes off. All depends how much software and how many accessories people buy for it.

But yeah, for now, they need to continue releasing games on 3DS. Until Switch becomes a large enough business that they can afford to let 3DS gracefully retire.

PtM

Banned
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1171059
It'll just happen after they phase out 3DS.
Japan's been getting a MH game almost every year for the 3ds, MHXX will release this year in March, so i seriously doubt they will release another MH until 2018, and chances are it could be a Switch version.
There will be XXHD on NX.

Top Bottom