• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Homebrew Channel imminent (?)

Jockel

Maybe you are from the US, but people wanted to play Etrian Odyssey, SMT4, Rune Factory etc. not just one or one and a half year later than the US.
You could stil argue that you could just import an American 3DS. I did it for SMTIV and I'm extremely happy I did, as eShop games generally cost 20%-50% less than in the European stores. I'm actually waiting for the American new 3DS to continue taking advantage of the cheaper prices.

Rich!

how do you know

last i read he was postponing due to new ads

He postponed it until he got the New Nintendo 3DS. He now has one, and has full homebrew support on it including full access to the extended ram and extra buttons/stick.

It will be released any day now.

You could stil argue that you could just import an American 3DS. I did it for SMTIV and I'm extremely happy I did, as eShop games generally cost 20%-50% less than in the European stores. I'm actually waiting for the American new 3DS to continue taking advantage of the cheaper prices.

I wouldnt want to pay another 160€ just for an american 3ds.

Delt31

He postponed it until he got the New Nintendo 3DS. He now has one, and has full homebrew support on it including full access to the extended ram and extra buttons/stick.

It will be released any day now.

did he say this or are you inferring now that he confirms it works on his new 3ds

I could possibly sense this will be released during the weekend. Hopefully the game that makes the exploit work won't be sold out in an hour after release. I would assume there would be a new thread once it's released.

I could possibly sense this will be released during the weekend. Hopefully the game that makes the exploit work won't be sold out in an hour after release. I would assume there would be a new thread once it's released.

I thought it wouldn't require a specific game, or was that just a rumor?

Rich!

I thought it wouldn't require a specific game, or was that just a rumor?

No. It will require a specific game. Smealum said its a near-launch era retail game that is cheaply obtainable and is not on the eshop in all regions. It also is a game that launches external code.

It's likely either Dead or Alive, Metal Gear Solid 3 or Cubic Ninja. MGS isn't cheap enough to fit, so its either Cubic Ninja or DOA

DoA has the photo viewer that can load altered image files from SD and cubic ninja has the level editor. Both can theoretically be used for a buffer overflow.

Doesn't seem like having the entire platform destroyed is worth being able to play the few out of region games they don't bring here.

What is worth "destroying" a platform for is asinine managment decisions.

I for one am excited to play with real emulators and lots of fun mods and cheats hopefully.

danielcw

2. The 3DS (unlike the DS and Wii) has an actual overarching OS that should be able to monitor hacked titles, but they'd have to likely install such a method in a new firmware. It may be detectable on server side, but I'm not sure which games have a dedicated server with which to do so.

The Wii has an overarching OS as well.
But one of the first big discoveries was a way to modify the OS

I think this is gonna become vaporware at this point. It's been so long... the Wii stuff happened throughout the course of a few weeks, days even all fast and furious like, and the community thrived because of it.

First of all, there have been updates and videos in the last few days.

Second: The Wii did not take a few weeks. The groundwork for the homebrew scene on Wii was done in 2008, or late 2007.
I assume this video from December 2007 at the C3 was up to date.

The only thing that happened fast on the Wii was piracy via mod-chips.
But that was helpful for the homebrew research, because it allowed them to run homebrew gamecube code on a wii.

Also, the 3DS encryption key was leaked yesterday. It's all basically blown open, regardless of whether the 3DS Homebrew Channel ever releases or not.
Sorry to say but I think you just got truthbombed from the man himself:
@smealum said:
fyi, the 7.0 ncch keyX "leak" is not all it's made out to be. all it means is anyone can now decrypt recent games like SSB. nothing exciting
figured I'd clarify because for some reason some people think it's going to "blow open" the 3DS. that's not how it works.
Opinions aside I think decrypting recent games is exciting.

I'm not seeing how. Could you explain more.

nullset2

But one of the first big discoveries was a way to modify the OS.

It actually doesnt, at all, as anyone who knows about IOS and its stupid fragmentation is aware of. It really held back the wii at the time, and it became its biggest security liability over time.

The big discovery was finding a way to exploit the wii to go from just being able to run allowed, shipped code to getting basically root access to the system and running whatever code they wanted on whatever part of the system they wanted. Since the system's encryption was taken apart for that, software from the wii was able to be reverse engineered to suit hacker's wants and creativity.

Modifying the OS came from there, by creating new instances of IOS with added features, like usb loading or using an emulated nand.

But one of the first big discoveries was a way to modify the OS

Incorrect. One of the first big discoveries was discovering they could sign their own IOS. The IOS are NOT an overarching operating system, but rather a series of input and output systems. They are essentially just driver packages and a series of checks for security.

When you load a game, the actual operating system and it's IOS (the Wii System Menu) is unloaded and the IOS for that specific game is loaded (many games share IOS).

These IOS are separate so when future games were released with updated features, older games can remain using the older one for compatibility purposes.

When you hit the home button on your gamepad and you're greeted to that standard Wii menu, it's not because there is an operating system behind that... but rather it's programmed into each individual game. You can confirm this yourself, take any Wii ISO and explore it and you can see the menu graphics yourself :)

(edit) Really should have finished reading the thread before making this post. Nullset beat me to it and phrased it in a way that's easier to understand as well :)

The only thing that happened fast on the Wii was piracy via mod-chips.
But that was helpful for the homebrew research, because it allowed them to run homebrew gamecube code on a wii.

This is also untrue. Modchips did not allow you to run any unsigned code... including Gamecube code. What was discovered was that the methods used to run homebrew on Gamecubes could be used to run gamecube homebrew on the Wii (using a modified gamecube memory card). The mod chips did NOT help the Wii scene at all, it was only helpful to pirates (and they suffered for it since they only allowed the Wii to run at 3x read mode, a left over from when the Wii was supposed to play movie DVDs)

Needless to say, this 4.5 custom firmware is not what the majority of people want or are looking forward to from Smealum. Glad to see he doesn't seem involved in the drama there.

Back in the DS days, I followed all the homebrew development very closely. My gbatemp account has thousands of posts. But I've been out of that game for years, I just don't understand what they're all talking about now over there.

baphomet

That along with the $120 flash cards which only let you play 10 different games EVER makes for some very entertaining forum reads. The sheer entitlement of those pirates is astounding XD

Flash carts have 100% compatibility as well as removing region locking. Please don't post about things you have no clue about.

baphomet

Yep.

Also, it's not 10 games EVER, it's ten games at any one time.

Unless that's specifically a limit for this cfw, it's definitely not for the gateway. I have around 30 on mine.

That being said, this cfw is useless. Most people at 4.5 will already have a gateway with more features than this. Including playing games online and accessing the eshop.

neoflcl

Unless that's specifically a limit for this cfw, it's definitely not for the gateway. I have around 30 on mine.

That being said, this cfw is useless. Most people at 4.5 will already have a gateway with more features than this. Including playing games online and accessing the eshop.

Actually, I think they're talking about some of the newer cards that have been cropping up more recently. As far as I can tell, these cards have ten game "slots" that, when, used up, cannot be overwritten... i.e., for each card you purchase, you get to play ten games.

All things considered, even though 3DS piracy has become a very real thing, it's at least comforting that it's much more limited and much less accessible than it was on DS (for the moment, at least). I'm all for homebrew, but I hope piracy doesn't end up as rampant and easy as Nintendo's previous generation of games!

KHlover

Banned
Flash carts have 100% compatibility as well as removing region locking. Please don't post about things you have no clue about.

Yep.

Also, it's not 10 games EVER, it's ten games at any one time.

No, the new flashcarts which were announced last week and work on 9.0 FW actually only do support ten games ever as pointed out over and over again on GBAtemp as well as the official site of the flashcarts themselves (albeit in broken english of course). I am not talking about Gateway or any old Gateway clone here. I am talking about the New R5 flashcart and the Sky3DS.

Please don't post about things you have no clue about.

epmode

What was that bit about the 3DS encryption key being broken? A quick search doesn't turn up anything useful.

Can't wait for the 3DS to get cracked wide open, BTW. It's the first step in getting a Dragon Quest 7 fan patch thirty years from now.

Well there goes me buying 3ds games, im not buying shit someone is getting for free, time to buy a ps4 or some other "unpirated" console I guess

Well there goes me buying 3ds games, im not buying shit someone is getting for free, time to buy a ps4 or some other "unpirated" console I guess

So you don't buy games for DS, Wii, PSP, 360, PS3, GBA, GCN, and every other system besides XB1, PS4, and Vita? I can't tell if your post is sarcasm, but telling everyone you're a pirate is not a good idea.

vash1122

Neo Member
Do we know if this is the kind of exploit where you won't be able to update your firmware without the exploit being blocked? I know on the Vita I haven't been able to run any of the hacks because of this. I'd love to be able to play some SNES/GBA games but my digital library is more important.

M3d10n

What was that bit about the 3DS encryption key being broken? A quick search doesn't turn up anything useful.

Can't wait for the 3DS to get cracked wide open, BTW. It's the first step in getting a Dragon Quest 7 fan patch thirty years from now.

Me neither. The most I've seen is that they found out how to decrypt 3DS ROMs, which isn't really that awesome since it's the same for every 3DS unit and since there homebrew-capable units it was just a matter of time. The private key used to encrypt the ROMs is another story entirely: it's locked up inside Nintendo's HQ and unless Nintendo pulled a Sony and used a constant number where they should be using a random one, it cannot be reverse-engineered from the public key without some serious computing power.

Top Bottom