• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Audioboxer

Hi guys!
I'm sorry if this has been explained before already but I'm on the A9LH on my o3DS, I was thinking about moving to a bigger SD card, but not sure how to go about doing it.
I am pretty sure there is probably a different way of transferring all my saves and stuff to the new SD card.
I followed Plailect's guide completely and am currently on A9LH. Want to move to a bigger SD card. Thanks everybody!

Literally just copying and pasting SD card with A9LH. Unless you still run in emunand mode. It has a hidden partition. If that's the case you'll need to run decrypt9 first to backup your emunand and then the SD card and then copy over to new card. Copy your emunand backup to new card and restore it via decrypt9.

If you run on sysynand like most of us do on a9lh then it's literally just as simple as backing up sdcard and copying it to new one. A9lh is stored on sysnand so it's not lost switching sd cards.

Literally just copying and pasting SD card with A9LH. Unless you still run in emunand mode. It has a hidden partition. If that's the case you'll need to run decrypt9 first to backup your emunand and then the SD card and then copy over to new card. Copy your emunand backup to new card and restore it via decrypt9.

If you run on sysynand like most of us do on a9lh then it's literally just as simple as backing up sdcard and copying it to new one. A9lh is stored on sysnand so it's not lost switching sd cards.

My current firmware says "Sys 11.0.0-33U" does that mean I am running on sysnand?
That's pretty awesome about the ease of tranferring!

prateeko

Just got Freakyforms shipping confirmation from CEX. £7.50 all in. Very pleased.
I actually had a copy ordered directly from Nintendo's online store (America) since I didn't have the game and was collecting. $20 brand new. Not bad. Wonder if NoA took them off their physical site?

EDIT: Looks like NoA sold out or removed the listing

I bought my copy of Freaky Forms Deluxe early last year for £4.95 including delivery from thegamecollectionoutlet on ebay. It's an Australian PAL overstock copy.

Was on 10.7.0-32U, had my copy of Cubic Ninja from when Smea announced the first vulnerabilities. Finally decided to go beyond using the Homebrew Channel for gameboy color emulation. Got everything set up and... Soft bricked.

Now I'm updated to the newest firmware, no Homebrew for me </3

Hoooooly shit, this is what I've been dreaming about. A hacked n3DS is definitely the ultimate retro Nintendo machine.

IMO the N3DS controls and ergonomics pale compared to the OG GBA, but I can't wait to try this. What's the latest for making my own CIAs from my own Ambassador titles? I remember something called FunkyCIA.

Any word on making NES games pixel-perfect?

Madao

lol, so it was Nintendo's crummy software and not a hardware limitation after all?

it's funny how homebrew has been fixing their machine for so many things. they really should do a better job if they want people to not go down this path.

in other news, i got back my 3DS with the hardmod and recovered everything. then i did the final steps with the OTP and now have my second n3DS with A9LH.

dadjumper

3DS is now the best GBA! The folks over GBATemp have discovered a way to remove the ghosting in GBA games: https://gbatemp.net/threads/restoring-original-colors-to-gba-vc.427642/page-5#post-6423110

This is big! Am I crazy, though, or does he link to an outdated file? He said he changed chip manufacturer to ghosting settings but the version I downloaded from his link still has the manufacturer setting.
Edit: nevermind! I redownloaded it for a fourth time(?) and it suddenly had the new option, maybe it was still being updated.

LewieP

GBA games still presumably look bad because of either the awkward upscaling or being the size of a postage stamp? I've never liked how GBA games look on the 3DS.

GSR

Got around to getting A9LH set up on my N3DS. Works like a beaut. The work the community's done in the past year or two has been just fantastic.

Madao

GBA games still presumably look bad because of either the awkward upscaling or being the size of a postage stamp? I've never liked how GBA games look on the 3DS.

so far none of the GBA sucessors have had a resolution that reaches 2x of what the GBA had.

crossing fingers that portable NX is 480p to at least have viable 2x scaling for these games if they carry over with a system transfer.

LewieP

540p would be better for GBA, 240x160 x3 is 720x480. Not great for DS or 3DS BC though.

Sadly I don't think there's any other resolution that Nintendo would possibly use that would suit GBA/DS/3DS backward compatibility.

Lettuce

Oh nice no GAB Ghosting!!

On a side note ii have converted Alien Hominid, but when i got to save the game i get an error saying that the game cant be saved, any ideas??

Robin64

The scaling really isn't bothering me, the new tweaks make GBA on this thing wonderful.

Edit: I'm ready!

untitled-12aayc.png
ckdck4lwgakklee1ox6d.png

The colours are absolutely amazing. I wish the camera picked that up, but they look glorious IRL.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Someone please tell how to do this gba injecting or any vc injecting please.

I can't find a guide anywhere

Madao

3DS is 400x240 while GBA is 240x160. 1.5x scaling doesn't seem to be too bad all things considered. DS games look extra bad because they're being scaled from 256x192 and the factor is pretty fucked up to fill a 3DS screen fully.

B.K.

I just downloaded the footer program, opened a rom in it to make a footer for the game with the original color an no blurring selected, and put the footer and the rom through Simple GBA Converter. I just used the default icons that came with it. I wasn't going to go through all that trouble for a test inject.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I just downloaded the footer program, opened a rom in it to make a footer for the game with the original color an no blurring selected, and put the footer and the rom through Simple GBA Converter. I just used the default icons that came with it. I wasn't going to go through all that trouble for a test inject.
Wait so I don't need a vc title to inject into?

What are the advantages to this over using gpSP? I've never messed with injecting because I couldn't make it work due to running A9LH on EmuNAND out of an abundance of caution, and I liked save states.

I've been playing FireRed (in Portuguese!) on an A9LH-enabled 2DS, and I haven't noticed any ghosting or distortion ... but I obviously haven't done the comparisons yet.

dadjumper

What are the advantages to this over using gpSP?

Perfect emulation (especially on the O3DS which runs a bit too slow to run some GBA games at full speed)
Look like VC titles as opposed to loading an emulator, nice if you like to see your play time in the activity log
In my experience, the upscaling is a little nicer than on an emulator

That's about it, really. If you're happy with gpSP then there's no real reason to switch over, but if you've already been playing GBA VC then this is a definite improvement.

I thought we had to have a vc game and then like... Inject our game over it.

What the hell why is this process called injecting its just making a CIA???

Wow.
My assumption is that the program itself is doing the injection, you just don't see it. The method was originally discovered by overwriting an existing .cia but has evolved to the point where this is no longer required.

Robin64

Annoyingly, my Final Fantasy V creation won't save. I mean, it appears to save, but exiting the game and going back in shows the save isn't really there. I used the footer program and had it auto-detect the save type, so I dunno what's going on or how to fix it.

Kaleo

Neo Member
If you're still using an Old 3DS/2DS you can have SNES cias on the homescreen now. It uses the latest branch of the blargSNES emulator so games run much better now and games that didnt work actually do now

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-blargsnes-virtual-console-edition.430190/

Tried SMT II and playing Chrono Trigger now

both run great

That's great. I was using that blargSNES branch already (although isn't perfect, all SNES DKCs in a playable state on my Old 3DS is fantastic!), but having these games packed as a kind of Virtual Console and on my Home Menu is better for sure.

Speaking of that... DS emulation on New 3DS in progress, it seems. Looks like it still needs a long road to go, but sounds promising.

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm doing some icons and banners to reinject my whole GBA collection. What do you think?

KLg4etJ.png

AlCmvfH.png

VF2nCjv.png

I was planning on only doing them for games I own, but if there's any interest, I can do some more for you guys :)

Robin64

How odd, I also used the FFVA logo for my banner when I made it last night rather than the title screen screenshot Nintendo go with. I'll probably do that for all my custom cias, I think it looks much nicer.

Joey Ravn

Banned
How odd, I also used the FFVA logo for my banner when I made it last night rather than the title screen screenshot Nintendo go with. I'll probably do that for all my custom cias, I think it looks much nicer.

Official GBA games look fucking terrible. I use relatively small icons and the screenshots from the titles on the icons look like a mess of indistinguishable colors. I can never find anything without having to look at the banner.

The Roman numeral for Final Fantasy games looks clean, sharp and very obvious. I love it :)

butman

Why are you talking suddenly about GBA CIAs?

What's the difference with the classic GBA CIAs that you must inject in sysNand and emuNand when you had separated Nands?

Robin64

Why are you talking suddenly about GBA CIAs?

What's the difference with the classic GBA CIAs that you must inject in sysNand and emuNand when you had separated Nands?

We're only really bringing them up again now because people have discovered how to remove the dimness and the ghosting from them, so now they look superb.

Thank Christ I preserved all the banners and icons I made for my custom GBA titles. Shouldn't take long to rebuild them with the hex edit in place.

Official GBA games look fucking terrible. I use relatively small icons and the screenshots from the titles on the icons look like a mess of indistinguishable colors. I can never find anything without having to look at the banner.

The Roman numeral for Final Fantasy games looks clean, sharp and very obvious. I love it :)

How do you create the greyscale banners? I used the GBA CIA converter that someone released on GBATemp last summer, but the font that the tool uses isn't correct and the lettering is always very aliased.

Top Bottom