• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Rich!

So if you follow this guide and get everything up and running on the most current firmware is there any danger using the Nintendo store to buy games? Could you get banned?

Nope

Hell, people are even pirating straight from the official server and they aren't getting banned (sadly, in that case). There's no way for Nintendo to tell.

Smo21

Not sure where to ask but I'vebeen dabbling in the fba emulators and am having issues with testing alpha 2 and ssf2t on the cps2 emulator. Are they just not supported? Bad file?

Young Magus

Yo,

Wanna try the new 11.0.0.33 hack but saw that you need to system transfer and my other n3ds is 10.whatever and system transferred to my 11.0.0.33 n3dsxl.

Can I transfer the homebrew game if

A.) The 10.whatever n3dsxl has no nnid on it
B.) An system transfer had taken place in the past already between the two systems

hlhbk

So I am confused. I read in this forum how great emulators run on the new 3ds. I installed Retroarch last night and tried playing Chrono Trigger on all the snes cores and tried playing Metroid Zero mission on all gba cores and was unimpressed. On snes I had tearing on the left side of the screen (vsync is on), and gba ran slow with popping sound.

Am I missing something?

Robin64

So I am confused. I read in this forum how great emulators run on the new 3ds. I installed Retroarch last night and tried playing Chrono Trigger on all the snes cores and tried playing Metroid Zero mission on all gba cores and was unimpressed. On snes I had tearing on the left side of the screen (vsync is on), and gba ran slow with popping sound.

Am I missing something?

Did you install the latest nightly or the most recent stable version?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

Am I missing something?

Same issue for me. I downloaded the most recent nightlies and was unimpressed. So yeah, anyone know what date had the last best stability?

EDIT: Apparently its these: https://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.3.3/nintendo/3ds/

Yo,

Wanna try the new 11.0.0.33 hack but saw that you need to system transfer and my other n3ds is 10.whatever and system transferred to my 11.0.0.33 n3dsxl.

Can I transfer the homebrew game if

A.) The 10.whatever n3dsxl has no nnid on it
B.) An system transfer had taken place in the past already between the two systems

A) Yes. In fact you should create a new NNID to do the transfer even if you have one already.
B) Yes, as long as its not within a week.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Retroarch stables have been f*cked for a while... Use 1.3.3.

phanphare

Banned
man, NES and SNES games look freaking amazing

hopefully 11.0.0-33 gets support for everything else, I need my GBA collection to run better. played one of the spyro games and spyro didn't even show up on the screen + it only ran at like 35-45 fps.

Joey Ravn

Banned
man, NES and SNES games look freaking amazing

hopefully 11.0.0-33 gets support for everything else, I need my GBA collection to run better. played one of the spyro games and spyro didn't even show up on the screen + it only ran at like 35-45 fps.

You can inject GBA on both Old and New 3DS to use the Nintendo-created built-in GBA emulator if RetroArch isn't cutting it for you. Couple the injection with the blur remover and the color restorer options and it's amazing :)

tauke

Phew just done with Part 4 of Plailect guide and will do the final part tomorrow night.

Funny how the difficulty kinda inverted for me as I got stuck at the INIT HAX... stage during Part 2 of the guide for a whole day (well my stupidity of using an older MenuHax doesn't help hehe).

Later steps are pretty straightforward with the only issue that I encountered is the black screen after reboot at certain steps which are solved by removing the microSD and rebooting the New 3DS.

2DS? how about this:

native hardware gba support (flawless 100% accurate GBA playback on all 3DS models) - and now you can turn off the blur/ghosting and darkening filter Nintendo had turned on in the original Ambassador releases. It's by far the best way to play GBA games, imo:

VOIDnD8l.jpg

and then you have numerous homebrew emulators - the New 3DS can play everything up to the NeoGeo with no issues, the 2DS and OG aren't as powerful - but you can still have stuff like this:

cibZWVnl.jpg

you can also back up all of your 3DS games to your internal SD and have them available as digital titles. Which is useful as hell.

What exactly do I need to achieve this? CFW? To have ambassador program games on my system?

I would really like to have my GBA colleciton on the 3DS.

Rich!

What exactly do I need to achieve this? CFW? To have ambassador program games on my system?

I would really like to have my GBA colleciton on the 3DS.

just cfw and the apps I posted above in combination with a standard GBA rom of your choice. You don't need any ambassador games.

spoonfeed me a little, gaf. I haven't touched 3DS homebrew in ages. I've got a Japanese N3DS and I still use ReiNAND because I was too afraid to give a9hl a go back in the day, so I've got a few questions:

1. What's the safest way to do a9hl?
  2. Should I undo my current setup, or does a9hl build on top of that?
  3. What's LUMA?
  4. Is there a way to change my system's region? I don't care too much about this, but I got the new Kirby game (US copy) and running it through NTR still has the game play in Japanese. I don't need the Japanese eShop and would like to just make it an American system if possible.

LewieP

spoonfeed me a little, gaf. I haven't touched 3DS homebrew in ages. I've got a Japanese N3DS and I still use ReiNAND because I was too afraid to give a9hl a go back in the day, so I've got a few questions:

1. What's the safest way to do a9hl?
  2. Should I undo my current setup, or does a9hl build on top of that?
  3. What's LUMA?
  4. Is there a way to change my system's region? I don't care too much about this, but I got the new Kirby game (US copy) and running it through NTR still has the game play in Japanese. I don't need the Japanese eShop and would like to just make it an American system if possible.

Plailect's guide really is the holy grail of advice for how to set up a9hl + cfw. The section dedicated to how to get started is here, I'm not massively familiar with ReiNAND, but I think the answer of where to start will depend on your sysnand version.

Pretty sure you'll have at least already done Part 1, and possibly Part 2 & 3.

Luma is the most user friendly custom firmware that is set up by default to do all the things you'd want a cfw to do.

If you complete Plailect's guide, your 3DS will be able to run cartridges of any region. You don't need to change it's region, it will just be functionally region free, at least as far as booting games of a cartridge is concerned.

Edit: I think you can change the region of your device if you prefer, but I also think you can just configure the eShop to be the US version, which might be the simpler solution. I've not really messed with the region stuff though, so perhaps someone else can offer more insight.

HotHamBoy

Not sure where to ask but I'vebeen dabbling in the fba emulators and am having issues with testing alpha 2 and ssf2t on the cps2 emulator. Are they just not supported? Bad file?

Are you using FBA roms? I copied my FBA roms from my laptop right over and they all worked perfectly. Take a moment to load, though. Same with NeoGeo.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a long time but have a hard time keeping pace with the discussion. Is there a new way to "softmod" the 3ds that won't get patched out any time soon?

I'd really like to get some emulators on my 3ds but don't fancy jumping through too many hoops like I have in the past for other consoles.

I can get 3ds for 50 bucks. Should i get it? I have gba advance. Will i be able to play those games on 3ds easily? Do nes snes games work as well? Or should i get new 3ds. This is for my kid.

Smo21

Are you using FBA roms? I copied my FBA roms from my laptop right over and they all worked perfectly. Take a moment to load, though. Same with NeoGeo.
Game like puzzle fighter and Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix work. Could be the version I found aren't good? Have you had any luck running super turbo and alpha 2?

2DS? how about this:

native hardware gba support (flawless 100% accurate GBA playback on all 3DS models) - and now you can turn off the blur/ghosting and darkening filter Nintendo had turned on in the original Ambassador releases. It's by far the best way to play GBA games, imo:

VOIDnD8l.jpg

and then you have numerous homebrew emulators - the New 3DS can play everything up to the NeoGeo with no issues, the 2DS and OG aren't as powerful - but you can still have stuff like this:

cibZWVnl.jpg

you can also back up all of your 3DS games to your internal SD and have them available as digital titles. Which is useful as hell.
This is awesome. Though I'd argue that the best way to play GBA games is on GBA hardware. The A/B button placement is so much better than 3/DS, hands down.

Any chance I can do any of this stuff via the Cubic Ninja hack? I'm still rocking the game to use Retro Arch (using a build back from October) for SNES emulation.

Rich!

This is awesome. Though I'd argue that the best way to play GBA games is on GBA hardware. The A/B button placement is so much better than 3/DS, hands down..

actually, it isn't that bad when you realise X also doubles up as B in GBA VC. If you place your thumb over A and X, it's the same layout as B and Y.

actually, it isn't that bad when you realise X also doubles up as B in GBA VC. If you place your thumb over A and X, it's the same layout as B and Y.
Yeah, I think I'd dislike that even more than 3DS' A/B. The 3DS' A/B would be perfect if it wasn't completely diamond shaped. I prefer the slant of the GBA buttons. Just a preference which I know a lot of people aren't fussed about. However, after playing GBA hardware for so long, I just can't get used to 3DS' buttons for GBA games.

hlhbk

Can someone list the best emulators to use for each system? What kind of performance should I expect for nes, snes, genesis, and GBA?

Rich!

Can someone list the best emulators to use for each system? What kind of performance should I expect for nes, snes, genesis, and GBA?

GBA - use VC inject. It's native GBA hardware with 100% compatibility.

SNES - either VC inject or CatSFC. I would heavily recommend going the VC inject route as Nintendo's emulator is fantastic and has far superior sound emulation and compatibility.

NES - nestopia

Mega Drive and Master System - Genesis Plus GX.

Dingens

At this moment, the very latest one: 11.0.0.33
Menuhax and browsehax have been updated to support this version. They will allow you to run basic homebrew.
If you have access to another 3DS already running A9LH, you use it to downgrade the 11.0.0.3 system

basic? does video streaming work?
I think I got the latest firmware, but video recording is the only homebrew feature I'm actually interested in...

FyreWulff

You can inject GBA on both Old and New 3DS to use the Nintendo-created built-in GBA emulator if RetroArch isn't cutting it for you. Couple the injection with the blur remover and the color restorer options and it's amazing :)

I thought someone in this thread or elsewhere on GAF found out removing the blur makes the screen burn in?

hlhbk

SNES - either VC inject or CatSFC. I would heavily recommend going the VC inject route as Nintendo's emulator is fantastic and has far superior sound emulation and compatibility.

NES - nestopia

Are there step by step guides on how to inject?

Also I have heard the sound on the VC games is very quiet on the new 3ds speakers, is this true and is there any way to boost it?

Lastly what are the best homebrew apps available?

phanphare

Banned

NES - nestopia

for SNES I've found CatSFC to be pretty bad, unless you mean CatSFC Plus which has worked fine for me. that and Pocket Snes have both been good for me while CatSFC has had some video issues.

edit: scratch that, both CatSFC emulators have some video issues for me. Pocket Snes has been the best for me. or maybe it's something specific to DKC 3

HotHamBoy

Are there step by step guides on how to inject?

Also I have heard the sound on the VC games is very quiet on the new 3ds speakers, is this true and is there any way to boost it?

Lastly what are the best homebrew apps available?

Well, it's not just "injecting," there seems to be a LOT of steps involved in prepping the 3DS to get the games installed and running. I'm personally lost on what it is exactly I need to do if I all I want is to install my own GBA and SNES .CIA files. I don't even need to make my own .CIA files, I found a resource with all the games I want ready to go.

I've looked at some of the linked guides and I am just totally lost on the jargon. ATM, i have menuhax installed on a N3DS on the latest firmware. I haven't installed a CFW, although I think I need to? I don't have a clue how to proceed. A lot of info is outdated.

The process of getting custom VC games running seems to be far more complicated and potentially unsafe than it ever was on Wii and vWii. And Wii U is super easy, like, insanely easy and fool-proof by comparison.

Game like puzzle fighter and Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix work. Could be the version I found aren't good? Have you had any luck running super turbo and alpha 2?

Both of those games running well for me.

Installing CIAs requires a CFW indeed. That's because it's unsigned code. Normally the 3DS would refuse to run it. But a CFW can do signature patching..

HotHamBoy

Installing CIAs requires a CFW indeed. That's because it's unsigned code. Normally the 3DS would refuse to run it. But a CFW can do signature patching..

Ok, so the first thing I need to worry about is getting a CFW installed.

What is the easiest guide to follow for the best-suited CFW for installing .CIA files? I'm not currently interested in much else at the moment, although I'd love to be able to run r3Ddragon and emulate VB games. Apparently it doesn't support the latest firmware.

Really appreciate it!

DangerMan

Banned
Anyone know if there is a plugin for NTRCFW or something that allows Super Mario 3D Land, Ridge Racer 3D, or any other games to have their framerate cap removed on a New 3DS? I already use NTRCFW to re-enable the New3DS improved hardware but for many games there is a hardcoded 30FPS cap even though the New3DS hardware could probably hit a near constant-60FPS.

HotHamBoy

Anyone know if there is a plugin for NTRCFW or something that allows Super Mario 3D Land, Ridge Racer 3D, or any other games to have their framerate cap removed on a New 3DS? I already use NTRCFW to re-enable the New3DS improved hardware but for many games there is a hardcoded 30FPS cap even though the New3DS hardware could probably hit a near constant-60FPS.

Oh, I would actually like to do this as well. That's amazing of possible.

What do you mean by "re-enable the New3DS improved hardware?" Does installing a CFW mess with how games detect the hardware they are running on or something? I don't want to lose N3DS features.

Ok, so the first thing I need to worry about is getting a CFW installed.

What is the easiest guide to follow for the best-suited CFW for installing .CIA files? I'm not currently interested in much else at the moment, although I'd love to be able to run r3Ddragon and emulate VB games. Apparently it doesn't support the latest firmware.

Really appreciate it!

The Plailect guide is the very best:
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

Very complete, very clear.
If you follow this guide completely, you'll end up with a fully hacked and very brick-proof system.
But the process of getting there is always at your own risk. There's a chance of bricking the system. A pretty small chance, but it's still there.

While I'm not knowledgeable about that, such a feature could not be universal. The game can simply run all of its logic discretely in 30 Hz which saves a lot of number crunching time while making such a patch quite a mess. Especially on O3DS which doesn't have the fastest CPU on the earth.

Hey, maybe someone will know this. I've tried to get regular, non-kernel-hacking homebrew on latest FW (mostly for fun, I don't really need HB or I would stay on older FW at least) and while browserhax boots, anytime I try to target OoT and install oothax 3DS freezes at yellow screen. Any ideas what could be causing the problem?

HotHamBoy

The Plailect guide is the very best:
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

Very complete, very clear.
If you follow this guide completely, you'll end up with a fully hacked and very brick-proof system.
But the process of getting there is always at your own risk. There's a chance of bricking the system. A pretty small chance, but it's still there.

Excellent, thank you!

I will work on this tonight and I might have some questions as I go if anyone is willing to answer them.

DangerMan

Banned
Oh, I would actually like to do this as well. That's amazing of possible.

What do you mean by "re-enable the New3DS improved hardware?" Does installing a CFW mess with how games detect the hardware they are running on or something? I don't want to lose N3DS features.

The New 3DS has twice the number of CPU cores as the Old 3DS and each core's clock rate has been tripled. The problem is all older games have something in their headers telling the New 3DS to reset its specs to what they were on the Old 3DS. Using NTRCRW or LUMACFW users can get around this and have games like Pokemon X and Y which officially set the New 3DS to be running with Old 3DS specs to be running at New 3DS specs and reduce frame-rate drops. Some games have bugs with the higher clock rates but by using NTRCFW and properly timing the clockrate switches it is possible to have games like Ridge Racer 3D run with absolutely no crashes or framerates drops on a New 3DS.

EDIT: But I am wondering if there is a way to get RidgeRacer 3D to run at an unlocked frame-rate instead of its locked 30FPS on New 3DS.

Top Bottom