• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

hlhbk

Excellent, thank you!

I will work on this tonight and I might have some questions as I go if anyone is willing to answer them.

I just went through that guide last night. Very well done. I would allow 4-5 hours to fully go through the guide just an FYI. I will be around this evening and will keep an eye on this thread if you have questions.

If I can get my emulators working I will consider it time well spent. Now I am just trying to figure out what else I can do on my 3ds. :)

IMACOMPUTA

I REALLY want a non-XL new 3ds.
If i buy a japanese one from play-asia, can I flash it with USA firmware to essentially make it a USA 3ds?

Feffe

For GB/C games I think Gambatte is a far superior choice to VC Injection: you can apply a 2XBR filter and the scaling isn't too bad. Plus you can colorize OG GB games with GBC palettes.

Strangely I don't mind the scaling of the official GBA Virtual Console. I think AGB_FIRM apply some sort of filter before upscaling the games. The same game run on gpsp is much more blurry.

Madao

If i buy a japanese one from play-asia, can I flash it with USA firmware to essentially make it a USA 3ds?

no. the console's internal keys can't be changed. there's no way to convert a system completely. the best conversions still lack eshop support.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Is there any emulator running Super Mario RPG at full speed and sound?

EDIT: The answer is PocketSNES on the 1.3.3 build - its legit.

What does this mean?

Your RedNAND SecureInfo_A MUST be the same as your SysNAND SecureInfo_A or you will BRICK. If you have changed your RedNAND region or otherwise modified SecureInfo_A in any way, you MUST create a NEW RedNAND or you will BRICK.

hlhbk

What does this mean?

Your RedNAND SecureInfo_A MUST be the same as your SysNAND SecureInfo_A or you will BRICK. If you have changed your RedNAND region or otherwise modified SecureInfo_A in any way, you MUST create a NEW RedNAND or you will BRICK.

Did you create a RedNAND and modify it at all in the past?

Plailect's guide really is the holy grail of advice for how to set up a9hl + cfw. The section dedicated to how to get started is here, I'm not massively familiar with ReiNAND, but I think the answer of where to start will depend on your sysnand version.

Pretty sure you'll have at least already done Part 1, and possibly Part 2 & 3.

Luma is the most user friendly custom firmware that is set up by default to do all the things you'd want a cfw to do.

If you complete Plailect's guide, your 3DS will be able to run cartridges of any region. You don't need to change it's region, it will just be functionally region free, at least as far as booting games of a cartridge is concerned.

Edit: I think you can change the region of your device if you prefer, but I also think you can just configure the eShop to be the US version, which might be the simpler solution. I've not really messed with the region stuff though, so perhaps someone else can offer more insight.

Thanks man, just finished doing all of this (sans region changing - will think about it more). All pretty easy really, just a bit time consuming.

I got a question just in general. So I've got a Japanese N3DS. Can I play a US copy of a game online using it, or does it get caught up in some region lock fuckery? Same with local multiplayer I guess, but that would be impressively weird if Nintendo locked that down somehow.

EDIT: Also, newest Retroarch builds stable or should I go for an older set?

EDIT 2: So, noticed NTR doesn't work on 11.0. Any other way to force a US copy of a game to play in English on a Japanese system when the game apparently supports both languages? Not a huge deal - the game in question is Kirby - but it would be nice.

HotHamBoy

I just went through that guide last night. Very well done. I would allow 4-5 hours to fully go through the guide just an FYI. I will be around this evening and will keep an eye on this thread if you have questions.

If I can get my emulators working I will consider it time well spent. Now I am just trying to figure out what else I can do on my 3ds. :)

I ended up having to leave the house for the evening, but I will be subbing this thread.

Why not the Animal Crossing one or the Pokemon one?

I don't think either bundle can be purchased new. The pokemon one goes for highly inflated prices, which is silly considering the only real difference is the faceplates.

I had to track down a used AC one and only one local trade-in store (not gamestop) had one in the tri-county area.

Smo21

I ended up having to leave the house for the evening, but I will be subbing this thread.

I don't think either bundle can be purchased new. The pokemon one goes for highly inflated prices, which is silly considering the only real difference is the faceplates.

I had to track down a used AC one and only one local trade-in store (not gamestop) had one in the tri-county area.
Hey bud check your pm. Thanks.

You can play US games on it with CFW but you will not be able to access the eShop, if you care about that. Well, you can access AN eShop, but it won't be the American one. I've been using my white Japanese N3DS as an American one for many months, although admittedly I have been out of the CFW game for a while. Things might have changed slightly

kr2t0s

Forgive me if this has been answered - just haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Running Retroarch on my 3DS XL (the old Zelda one) and trying out both the QuickNes and PocketSnes emulators via MenuHax.

Are there any key commands for save states or even to return back to the main menu to load up other games or even to get back to the MenuHax menu?

The last real emulation I missed with was PocketNes on the GBA Micro and it had button shortcuts (L+R if i remember right) to return back to menus to select other games to play.

Thanks!

Opa-Pa

Forgive me if this has been answered - just haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Running Retroarch on my 3DS XL (the old Zelda one) and trying out both the QuickNes and PocketSnes emulators via MenuHax.

Are there any key commands for save states or even to return back to the main menu to load up other games or even to get back to the MenuHax menu?

The last real emulation I missed with was PocketNes on the GBA Micro and it had button shortcuts (L+R if i remember right) to return back to menus to select other games to play.

Thanks!

There are no default key commands for those, but you can set them yourself as you like in main menu > settings > input > "Input hotkey Binds"

You can suspend your games and go to the Retroarch menu by tapping the lower part of the touchscreen, and quit to the homebrew launcher by either selecting "Quit Retroarch" or pressing L+R+Down+B (this works for all homebrew apps).

kr2t0s

There are no default key commands for those, but you can set them yourself as you like in main menu > settings > input > "Input hotkey Binds"

You can suspend your games and go to the Retroarch menu by tapping the lower part of the touchscreen, and quit to the homebrew launcher by either selecting "Quit Retroarch" or pressing L+R+Down+B (this works for all homebrew apps).

Thanks!!!

Did you create a RedNAND and modify it at all in the past?

My current setup is 9.2 sysnand and 10 emunand (not rednand) no other changed were done

My entry point is autoboot menuhax

I want to try the new method so system updates are not an issue but i am really scared of a brick

Doopliss

My current setup is 9.2 sysnand and 10 emunand (not rednand) no other changed were done

My entry point is autoboot menuhax

I want to try the new method so system updates are not an issue but i am really scared of a brick

You won't have modified your SecureInfo_A unless you tried to do a region change on your 3DS.

tauke

At last I've seen the light at the end of the tunnel.

My New 3DS XL has passed the trial of Plailect guide. That feel of loading up the eShop while on the latest firmware while having CIA and homebrew support!

Have to say 3 days and 3 nights of prepping the 3DS for CFW is scary due to potential bricking.

Any good stuff that I should try like emulation?

CFW only.

And there's absolutely no reason anyone should be staying on menuhax anymore
i can't follow The Guide because I don't have a second 3DS :c

Edit: I found out about the Super Mystery Dungeon method...hmm..

Edit 2: Okay, I installed supermysterychunkhax and uninstalled menuhax. Feels good to be in control of my layout again :p

Young Magus

So after 5~hours I got cfw on my N3DSXL.

Now I want to get cfw on my regular n3ds with 11.0.0.33.

Just one question:
The 11.0.0.33 is my main system so I have an NNID on the system, after I get the cfw on that system (basically 5~7 hours after everything is done) I can just restore my main NNID on the system correct?

fester

Banned
CFW only.

And there's absolutely no reason anyone should be staying on menuhax anymore

Going through the Plailect guide is a serious time investment and I just can't afford it. At some point I'll probably bite the bullet - probably when the process gets more streamlined or I get annoyed enough at not having eShop access on my n3DS.

Rich!

Going through the Plailect guide is a serious time investment and I just can't afford it. At some point I'll probably bite the bullet - probably when the process gets more streamlined or I get annoyed enough at not having eShop access on my n3DS.

serious time investment?

it can be done in around two hours tops if you have little to transfer from your SD (eshop purchases, transferring to PC and back takes time if you have gigs)

it's hardly a massive investment in time considering what you end up with.

Young Magus

serious time investment?

it can be done in around two hours tops if you have little to transfer from your SD (eshop purchases, transferring to PC and back takes time if you have gigs)

2 hours 0-o.

You must be a pro cuz this took me 5 hours. Tho this was my first time. Hopefully the hack for my 11.0.0.33 n3ds is quicker.

Also, Rich can you answer the question I posted above?

HotHamBoy

serious time investment?

I haven't really looked at the guide yet but what's this about transferring files from the SD card?

I have a 32gb card that's about 75% full.

Kindekuma

Banned
Story time, GAF.

So I had my N3DS XL that was on 10.3, had Homebrew all set to go. Needed to downgrade, and waited for a more reliable method that would be less likely to softbrick. I forgot about downgrading for a few months, and we fast forward to 2 weeks ago. I decide to finally downgrade, so I make sure I have all the correct files, whatnot. One thing I forgot completely was that I had an ambassador 3DS, and that alone caused me to softbrick again. So I restore, and now on 11.0. Can't downgrade at all :(

Sad day for me, GAF.

Rich!

guide took me 5 hours too. idk where rich is getting 2 from.

Because I've done it four times so far? And the first time , which did take 5 hours or so, was when the process was experimental and you had to hex edit and generate your own OTP yourself.

I recently hacked my sister and her boyfriend's consoles and it was done start to finish within an afternoon. For both, at the same time.

EmiPrime

Because I've done it four times so far? And the first time , which did take 5 hours or so, was when the process was experimental and you had to hex edit and generate your own OTP yourself.

I recently hacked my sister and her boyfriend's consoles and it was done start to finish within an afternoon. For both, at the same time.

Come on Rich, most people are not going to do it more than once! It's cool that you have an efficient workflow that you've perfected it but I concur with everyone else, it took me about 5 hours to do my O3DS despite not running into any errors.

Madao

that's like boasting you can beat Metroid Prime in under 2 hours because you know what to do.

the process will take 4-5 hours for the average person who's not invested into homebrew. just the fact that there's a risk of something going bad makes people go slow by default even if they do everything perfectly and without problems and the guides stress the fact there's always a risk of bricking.

my 2nd A9LH took a little less than 4 hours and that's with the newest guide.

Vitacat

So after 5~hours I got cfw on my N3DSXL.

Now I want to get cfw on my regular n3ds with 11.0.0.33.

Just one question:
The 11.0.0.33 is my main system so I have an NNID on the system, after I get the cfw on that system (basically 5~7 hours after everything is done) I can just restore my main NNID on the system correct?

Young Magus, please let me know how that goes. I may doing the same thing soon with my other n3ds on 11.0.

My big question is: after you transfer to 3ds #2 with the new NNID, and you restore #1 back to your sysnand dump, will you easily get your original NNID on it? I've read some confusing stuff about that.

Rappy

That's not what usually takes up the most time for most people who had done it though. Maybe the tools/programs that are used now are more reliable (I haven't checked), but the people who did it 3-4 months ago definitely needed more than 2 hours no matter what. Reading/writing speeds were slow and any guides said you just had to try again if an error popped up or a prompt never did. It's all pretty straight forward and easy to do, but there was just no shortcut for the time consuming parts. Maybe it's better now, but I definitely had thought the reading/writing to system memory took at least close to 2 hours itself.

Joey Ravn

Banned

You don't need to do the process in one sitting if you don't have the time. Sure, you can't use your 3DS until you have finished, but you can do each step at different times if you can't allocate 4 or 5 hours to the process at once.

LewieP

Took me about 5 hours, but a lot of that was waiting for nand backups to transfer via wifi, and reading over everything to double check I was doing it right, because I had a previous attempt that resulted in a semi-brick.

Young Magus

Young Magus, please let me know how that goes. I may doing the same thing soon with my other n3ds on 11.0.

My big question is: after you transfer to 3ds #2 with the new NNID, and you restore #1 back to your sysnand dump, will you easily get your original NNID on it? I've read some confusing stuff about that.

UPDATE:

Everything worked out fine and now I have my 3ds normal and XL running CFW.

Now I restored my NNID to my regular N3ds but I wanna ask do I gotta download my games again or can I use my sd card backup and copy/paste a folder for the games? If so how do it do that?

Linkark07

Banned

When I did that, I couldn't link the NNID of my o3ds, even though I restored the sysnand dump. The system said the NNID was on another system (my n3ds) even though that one already had linked my main NNID.

Madao

When I did that, I couldn't link the NNID of my o3ds, even though I restored the sysnand dump. The system said the NNID was on another system (my n3ds) even though that one already had linked my main NNID.

when a system transfer is made, the receiving system requests a system format if there's a NNID linked to it. when you do a system format, the 3DS connects to Nintendo's server to unlink the NNID before formatting so that you can link it to another unit later.

the homebrew installation processes skip this since you don't do the regular system format. when you do a system transfer, it moves certain information that breaks the link of a NNID to the original system so if you do a NAND restore, the system will still think the NNID was transferred to another system and won't allow you to relink it to the original even though you never moved the NNID in the actual transfer and moved a different one.

i had this happen to me. i had to email nintendo and tell them my 3DS had broken down and i couldn't do a system format to be able to link an NNID to a different unit so that they could unlink it.

it sounds convoluted but basically, you can't have more than 1 NNID on the same 3DS even if you use emunand and do a system transfer. if you transfer, you'll "move" both of them and break stuff (as you know, you can't transfer both sysnand and emunand to the same target).

Linkark07

Banned
when a system transfer is made, the receiving system requests a system format if there's a NNID linked to it. when you do a system format, the 3DS connects to Nintendo's server to unlink the NNID before formatting so that you can link it to another unit later.

the homebrew installation processes skip this since you don't do the regular system format. when you do a system transfer, it moves certain information that breaks the link of a NNID to the original system so if you do a NAND restore, the system will still think the NNID was transferred to another system and won't allow you to relink it to the original even though you never moved the NNID in the actual transfer and moved a different one.

i had this happen to me. i had to email nintendo and tell them my 3DS had broken down and i couldn't do a system format to be able to link an NNID to a different unit so that they could unlink it.

it sounds convoluted but basically, you can't have more than 1 NNID on the same 3DS even if you use emunand and do a system transfer. if you transfer, you'll "move" both of them and break stuff (as you know, you can't transfer both sysnand and emunand to the same target).

Thanks for the explanation. After I did the transfer and tried to link my NNID again to the o3ds, I was surprised it didn't allow me to link it again. Thankfully, just created that NNID for the game so nothing of value was lost.

Read this. It explains how to update to 9.2 instead of going straight to 11.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man, I'm so happy with this.

I have VVV*hax installed and only three emulators installed on Retroarch. SNES and NES, and I'm able to play the entire Mega Man SNES collections, and all those great SNES RPGs.

I'd only be happier with a DS emulator somehow... but whatever, 3DS has BC so I'm happy to just buy the games to have access from GameBoy to 3DS games.

Top Bottom