• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

womp

Woah, this doable on just MenuHax? Link if so?

No, it requires a CIA, so you need a CFW (you can still do it with a 9.2 + RedNAND + Menuhax setup if that's your concern though).

I don't use a CIA, I have Luma with Menuhax. I simply choose the Acekard 2i in the cartridge slot from the home screen of my emunand running 11.0. There is nothing special to do, it runs just like a normal DS cart.

I don't use a CIA, I have Luma with Menuhax. I simply choose the Acekard 2i in the cartridge slot from the home screen of my emunand running 11.0. There is nothing special to do, it runs just like a normal DS cart.

You have a CFW though, see: emuNAND, Luma. You can't do this on clean 11.0.0-X (while there are a few things that you can). That's clearly not just menuhax.

womp

You have a CFW though, see: emuNAND, Luma. You can't do this on clean 11.0.0-X (while there are a few things that you can).

Of course you can't, but I figured that was obvious given the thread we are in. :p I did say in my original response that it was one of the great benefits of having CFW.

Of course you can't, but I figured that was obvious given the thread we are in. :p I did say in my original response that it was one of the great benefits of having CFW.

Well, quote chains can get confusing. But yeah, you shouldn't need a CIA to just launch a flashcart. Game shortcuts seem to need some though.

Right...and yes, I think we had some quote chain issues there. :)

Yeah, I was referring to a CIA that's used to bypass some of the prevention methods for really old flash cards (I believe the Acekard 2i was in the "middle group" that just needed the whitelist fixed).

Is there a way to change the N3DS's eShop region? I remember a while back that it wasn't and changing the region of the N3DS would remove eShop access, but I'm hoping that's changed. I would like to get ride of my O3DSXL, but what's holding me back is that it's the only way that I can access the US eShop (my N3DS is Japanese) and the ability to play games online within my region (which... isn't a huge deal honestly, and I think the standard region swap will allow this?).

B.K.

Not uncommon, just browserhax back into the downgrader and run it again to complete it.

I can't. I can't get any hax to run. I've tried browserhax and Ninjahax. Neither work. I can't get the system to connect to the internet at all for browserhax and I keep getting errors and kicked back to the home menu when I run Ninjahax.

B.K.

I finally got browserhax to work. I don't know what was wrong. Must have been something wrong with my internet connection. The signal kept cutting in and out. I assumed it was because the downgrade failed, but it finally started working.

I purchased a used n3DS XL off Amazon (that was pretty much in new condition). There's not really much of a chance it's not on firmware 11.00 is there?

womp

I think I've gotten it fully downgraded now. That was a stressful few minutes.

I'm two for two for this happening to me on a N3DS. I simply reran the downgrade, it filled in the Missing instance and rebooted. But yeah, the first time it happened was definitely a stressful moment indeed. LOL

The second system I did was my brother's and when he saw the 'error' he freaked out initially until I told him no worries, this happened to me as well.

3DS System Update 11.1.0 is out.

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

• Browserhax not working
  • Menuhax not working
  • NTR CFW not working (Workaround is to downgrade your home menu to 10.6)
  • VVVVVVV exploit not working
  • Homebrew Launcher CIA not working (payload renaming might fix this)

EricB

This may be a stupid question, but the 3DS homebrew scene is so big and confusing that the quickest way will be to just ask.

I previously had ReiNand on my Japanese New 3DS (via menuhax). I decided to install Luma3DS because I had a few games playing in Japanese that I wanted to be able to play in English. I installed Luma and it works for the most part, but I can't figure out how to boot to the Homebrew Launcher menu. I need to use Hans for a few games, but I can't access it. I tried to install the Homebrew Launcher CIA, but it doesn't seem to work, crashing every time. Is there any way to boot to the Menu without having to change files on the SD card?

epmode

3DS System Update 11.1.0 is out.

• Browserhax not working
  • Menuhax not working
  • NTR CFW not working
  • VVVVVVV exploit not working
  • Homebrew Launcher CIA not working (payload renaming might fix this)

Alright, this is my first firmware update since finishing Plailect's guide and I have some stupid questions:

Are these warnings only for people that have unhacked systems?
How would I update to the latest firmware if I'm on AL9H? Just go into Settings and press the Update button on the last page?
Should I update now? Will an update even be available?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Alright, this is my first firmware update since finishing Plailect's guide and I have some stupid questions:

Are these warnings only for people that have unhacked systems?
How would I update to the latest firmware if I'm on AL9H? Just go into Settings and press the Update button on the last page?
Should I update now? Will an update even be available?

I have A9LH and Luma, updated and everything's fine, with the exception of the things listed above.

Also, I haven't seen it posted, but this is great and could be huge in a few days!

You can now install DS homebrew and demos forwarders without the need to use a flashcart! The author of the utility claims that launching DS games without a flashcart will be a reality soon :)

womp

So it looks like I should be good to do this update without breaking anything. I have SysNAND on 9.2 and my EmuNAND on 11.0 using Luma with Menuhax/ctrbootmanager to auto boot to the EmuNAND. Since Luma is running off the 9.2 via Menuhax and would be booting INTO the EmuNAND running the 11.1 new update, right? :)

I don't use Homebrew Launcher and all my homebrew apps are installed via CIA anyhow....

I recently bought the Mario Land N3DS and had way too many purchases not to transfer from my old 3DS.

Of course Nintendo required both handhelds to be updated to the newest firmware, am I screwed as far as putting homebrew on my new N3DS?

epmode

I recently bought the Mario Land N3DS and had way too many purchases not to transfer from my old 3DS.

Of course Nintendo required both handhelds to be updated to the newest firmware, am I screwed as far as putting homebrew on my new N3DS?

Plailect's guide says that it's possible to get a 3DS running 11.1.0 on custom firmware, but you're going to need a second 3DS that's already hacked.

There's also a method to downgrade with some kind of crazy hardware mod but it seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Plailect's guide says that it's possible to get a 3DS running 11.1.0 on custom firmware, but you're going to need a second 3DS that's already hacked.

There's also a method to downgrade with some kind of crazy hardware mod but it seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks for the helpful info. I think it's probably prudent for me to just wait until the next hack comes along that beats this new firmware.

Seronei

You can transfer to your N3DS after you installed homebrew on it.

Although I guess i'ts too late now anyway.

Knurek

Just FYI, you can easily import Japanese music files into the US version of Dragon Quest 7 (standard method, decrypt the game, extract files, overwrite, rebuild 3DS/CIA, encrypt, install) - played for about 15 minutes (and a few music track changes during that time), everything seems to work just fine.

Aeana

Just FYI, you can easily import Japanese music files into the US version of Dragon Quest 7 (standard method, decrypt the game, extract files, overwrite, rebuild 3DS/CIA, encrypt, install) - played for about 15 minutes (and a few music track changes during that time), everything seems to work just fine.

What tools do you use to do this? I never managed to figure out how to decrypt and rebuild a game. The guides are all written in awful English and make too many assumptions about the reader.

Knurek

What tools do you use to do this? I never managed to figure out how to decrypt and rebuild a game. The guides are all written in awful English and make too many assumptions about the reader.

Decryption is done with Decrypt9
Can be done either on a cartridge (it will dump it to your SD slot) or an eShop install.
It does however require access to ARM9 side of 3DS, so either 9.2 FW with Homebrew Launcher or AL9H need to be available for you.
As for rebuilding, I used something called HackingToolkit3DS, which is kind of self-explanatory:
toolkit9wuej.png

I'm guessing it's just a frontend for some command-line tools, didn't look into it though.

The whole process took me about an hour and a half -> 25 minutes each for decryption/encryption and 20 minutes each for transfering the files to and from PC with an FTP client.
We have a pretty extensive database of 3DS music rips, so I had the source music from the JPN release on hand - I'm guessing if you want to rip them on your own add another hour or so.

Zomba13

Going to ask here as I've been trying to find out and read but getting bits a pieces of information and just generally confused about this.

I do have my Old 3DS on CFW following Plailect's guide and it works great. It is currently on the previous most up to date firmware (I did the whole thing like a week or two ago and it mentioned to run the update at the end or something). Anyway, Old 3DS is on CFW with homebrew.

At New 3DS launch I got one and did a transfer so my NNID and games and Miis etc are all nice and tidy on the New 3DS while my Old 3DS was blank and left as a homebrew device for whenever I actually decided to get around to doing that (which turned out to be just recently). Anyway, my N3DS is on 11.0.0-33E and according to the guide needs to be downgraded through select DSi ware (which I don't have and don't know if I can get anymore?) through a system transfer. Is there any way to keep my NNID on my New 3DS while downgrading it through the DSi Ware exploit (if I can even still get one of those games)? My Old 3DS on CFW currently has no NNID associated with it if that matters. Though maybe it doesn't matter at all because of the recent "stability" update and I might need to be on the latest version to even try a system transfer? Also, if it is possible would I still keep my N3DS games and saves?

Reason I'm wondering is now that I've tried the old 3DS again I just miss the big screens and better 3D and built in circle pad stuff of the New XL. I mean, I know I can just play these games using the carts on my XL but it is just so convenient not having to carry around a tin full of games and swapping them about. Plus I really like my custom theme and badges.

Aeana

Decryption is done with Decrypt9
Can be done either on a cartridge (it will dump it to your SD slot) or an eShop install.
It does however require access to ARM9 side of 3DS, so either 9.2 FW with Homebrew Launcher or AL9H need to be available for you.
As for rebuilding, I used something called HackingToolkit3DS, which is kind of self-explanatory:
toolkit9wuej.png

I'm guessing it's just a frontend for some command-line tools, didn't look into it though.

The whole process took me about an hour and a half -> 25 minutes each for decryption/encryption and 20 minutes each for transfering the files to and from PC with an FTP client.
We have a pretty extensive database of 3DS music rips, so I had the source music from the JPN release on hand - I'm guessing if you want to rip them on your own add another hour or so.

Thanks. There's no way I'll have enough time to do that any time soon... but it's nice to hear it's possible.

Knurek

Thanks. There's no way I'll have enough time to do that any time soon... but it's nice to hear it's possible.

If Nintendo was smart (or Sugyiama/Tokyo Phil weren't so boneheaded), we'd have a $10 DLC with the original soundtrack.
Sadly, I can't even make a patch for you with just the music stuff changed - encryption used by 3DS wreaks havoc on all binary patching methods. :\

OmegaFax

I'm using Luma/A9LH and don't want to update just yet but I forgot to turn off my WiFi or use the TubeHax DNS. Is there a way to disable the update prompt?

if I have luma on 11.0 can I update to 11.1 safely?

And I posted last week about my bricked 3ds. My NNID was on there. I didn't have many digital games and haven't played them (mostly carts). How long will they let me put on that on another 3ds? I'm not sure I want to hack another 3ds so I don't want to put them on my 2ds but I might not get another 3ds for a year or so the NNID would be hanging around for potentially up to a year before I transfer.

if I have luma on 11.0 can I update to 11.1 safely?

And I posted last week about my bricked 3ds. My NNID was on there. I didn't have many digital games and haven't played them (mostly carts). How long will they let me put on that on another 3ds? I'm not sure I want to hack another 3ds so I don't want to put them on my 2ds but I might not get another 3ds for a year or so the NNID would be hanging around for potentially up to a year before I transfer.

Gateway and NTR aren't working last I checked (they should only need relatively simple updates though), assuming you don't use either you should be good.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So from what I'm reading if I update then my VVVVVV hax is going to work.

Fracking bummer I wondering how long I can hold off from using tthe eshop.

epmode

Could someone explain exactly to disable the firmware update prompt? I don't see anything that looks useful in my Luma settings menu.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I got up the energy and nerve to try and downgrade my 10.1 to 9.2 with the latest method, and it just bottoms out like nothing is happening or I'm missing some file. Followed the prep to a T and all files are where they should be, and still I'm faced with zero activity and "Checking for am:u...Did not get am:u handle! Attempting svchax..."

It's hard to find any info about why this is acting dead for me, and all the previous types of downgrading left me with the same sense that something was missing from the system.

I got up the energy and nerve to try and downgrade my 10.1 to 9.2 with the latest method, and it just bottoms out like nothing is happening or I'm missing some file. Followed the prep to a T and all files are where they should be, and still I'm faced with zero activity and "Checking for am:u...Did not get am:u handle! Attempting svchax..."

It's hard to find any info about why this is acting dead for me, and all the previous types of downgrading left me with the same sense that something was missing from the system.

That's normal, sometimes. Getting am:u handle / svchax is unstable, if it stays like that for 10 minutes or so it just means you need to reset and try again. It's safe to reset at that stage too (its only when it starts writing Files / Firm that its dangerous).

phanphare

Banned
gonna ask again, would love some help with this

so I've got a New 3DS that has my NNID and all my stuff on it but it's on 11.0.33-U

however I have two OG 3DS's running older firmware that could be downgraded and hacked and then transferred over to my New 3DS. so I'm wondering if there's any way to do that while still retaining my NNID and all my downloaded stuff on the New 3DS.

thanks for any advice

epmode

so I've got a New 3DS that has my NNID and all my stuff on it but it's on 11.0.33-U

however I have two OG 3DS's running older firmware that could be downgraded and hacked and then transferred over to my New 3DS. so I'm wondering if there's any way to do that while still retaining my NNID and all my downloaded stuff on the New 3DS.

thanks for any advice
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but I'm not sure which NNID you're trying to keep.

If you have
one N3DS on 11.0.33 with an NNID you want to keep
+
another 3DS on older firmware with no NNID (or an NNID you don't want to keep)

then you can definitely use the second 3DS to hack your first while keeping the NNID on your N3DS. I just did it myself. Follow Plailect's guide.

thanks for any advice

No, you'd need a N3DS (hacked / unhacked is irrelevant) you could do a System Transfer too (ie erase) to keep everything (and a week or so so you could transfer back after hacking).

What you need to do is
Transfer from your N3DS to another N3DS
Use an O3DS to System Transfer a pre-setup Field Runners DSiware / save (you can take a backup of the O3DS NAND first , to restore it)
Hack your N3DS
Do a NAND restore on the O3DS and ring Nintendo to get the NNID reactivated on the O3DS (just ask about the error from trying to use the E-shop after restoring the backup)
Wait 7 Days
Transfer back to the now hacked N3DS and you're done.

(Of course if you had a hacked N3DS it would be much easier, you could just NAND Backup initially, transfer from your N3DS to it, get Fieldrunners + save setup, wait 7 days, transfer back to your N3DS and hack it and then restore the original NAND backup to the originall hacked N3DS (and ring Nintendo to re-enable the NNID)

If you have
one N3DS on 11.0.33 with an NNID you want to keep
+
another 3DS on older firmware with no NNID (or an NNID you don't want to keep)

then you can definitely use the second 3DS to hack your first while keeping the NNID on your N3DS. Follow Plailect's guide.

Doesn't work in this case, because he can't system transfer the N3DS to an O3DS to stop it being erased by the system transfer (you can only transfer from N3DS to other N3DS)

Top Bottom