• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

epmode

Does launching ctr-httpwn then going into the game work or is that only for system level things like the browser and eShop and System Transfers?

Also, dunno if it matters, but my N3DSXL is running the CFW from Plailect's guide and is on the latest firmware and can access the homebrew launcher and launch things from it.

I don't actually know anything about car-httpwn so I'm not sure if it would work (I'm still new to this). I'll try it in the next few days, thanks.

And yeah, I did a bit more research. There are a few caveats with 11.1.0 but it doesn't really affect people that are already using A9LH + Luma. If your HBL gets screwed up, you can simply install it as a CIA and it'll automatically download a payload that works.

Downsides:
  • Some custom firmwares don't work, like NTR. I don't use em so I don't really care.
  • Save files from certain games can no longer be backed up by applications like JKSM. This is a result of Nintendo attempting to stop certain hax methods using those games. I don't think I'm affected by that either.

Zomba13

I don't actually know anything about car-httpwn so I'm not sure if it would work (I'm still new to this). I'll try it in the next few days, thanks.

And yeah, I did a bit more research. There are a few caveats with 11.1.0 but it doesn't really affect people that are already using A9LH + Luma. If your HBL gets screwed up, you can simply install it as a CIA and it'll automatically download a payload that works.

Downsides:
  • Some custom firmwares don't work, like NTR. I don't use em so I don't really care.
  • Save files from certain games can no longer be backed up by applications like JKSM. This is a result of Nintendo attempting to stop certain hax methods using those games. I don't think I'm affected by that either.

Ah right. ctr-httpwn, from what I understand, is just an exploit/thing in the homebrew launcher (if set up with the starter.zip package) that basically skips any kind of version check for the online stuff. So I did my N3DS downgrade today when it was on 11.0.0-33 and usually when you do a system transfer you need to be on the latest firmware, so running ctr-httpwn through the homebrew launcher then returning to the home menu without a reboot (start then X in homebrew launcher) lets you perform the transfer (or access the eshop) without the system going "hey, there is a newer firmware you should be on!".

And yeah, from what I gather in 11.0.0 or 11.1.0 they added more titles that randomise the save address or something so games you could back up on older versions don't work. Like I had some when I was backing them up today that didn't seem to work. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse didn't work, neither did Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D or Rhythm Thief and I think a few others that I didn't care about. The ones I cared about worked though. Sucks to lose my Shantae progress though but I did just get to a black swampy island with nasty enemies and I wasn't having fun getting through those areas so hadn't played in a while.

epmode

I just tried out ctr-hhtpwn and I can confirm that it allowed me to bypass Ace Attorney's firmware check. Thanks for the advice!

fester

Banned
Well, I spent a Sunday afternoon and got my n3DS running a proper arm9loaderhax setup using Plailect's guide. Looks like there had been a bunch of changes to it that made it more streamlined than the last time I looked. Thankfully no technical issues and it's so nice to have everything on the home screen again.

Yes, the guide got a major revision a few weeks ago. The whole step of setting up a rednand/emunand is no longer necessarry. This made the guide easier and a lot less time consuming.

RowdyReverb

I haven't been keeping up with the scene for several months, but decided to check back in and I feel so lost. I had been using Gateway for my backups on my O3DS, but now I'm seeing all this buzz about A9LH, but even after looking it up, I'm having trouble figuring out what it is.

Is this something worth looking into, or is it more of a New 3DS thing?

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't been keeping up with the scene for several months, but decided to check back in and I feel so lost. I had been using Gateway for my backups on my O3DS, but now I'm seeing all this buzz about A9LH, but even after looking it up, I'm having trouble figuring out what it is.

Is this something worth looking into, or is it more of a New 3DS thing?

Full custom firmware allowing you to keep playing online and stay up-to-date while being able to install all sort of stuff directly to the Home Menu. It basically gives you full control over the 3DS. You really should look into it.

RowdyReverb

Full custom firmware allowing you to keep playing online and stay up-to-date while being able to install all sort of stuff directly to the Home Menu. It basically gives you full control over the 3DS. You really should look into it.
I'm just trying to tease out the tangible benefits of spending the time to install it. Is this something that would make emulators run smoothly on my old 3DS, for instance?

I'm just trying to tease out the tangible benefits of spending the time to install it. Is this something that would make emulators run smoothly on my old 3DS, for instance?
The homebrew emulators are more flexible, certainly. Homebrew can't replace the big horsepower bump of the New 3DS, of course.

Personally, I like being able to buy carts and rip them to SD. All the benefits of owning the cart with all of the convenience of a download.

Madao

You set up an emunand, and then set up Luma to boot it.
(newest version of Luma has support for up to 4 separate emunands)

I think you hold select while booting luma to select which NAND is selected- but if that doesn't work you could still dump the EmuNAND and clone it to SysNAND.

i tried it and it worked.
i managed to test a bit and concluded that emunands wouldn't really help me since you can't have 2 NNIDs active at the same time on the same 3DS even though both are bound to the same hardware (nintendo being stupid in their design i guess.)

Do not get DSTWO if you value your battery life - flashcards with additional CPUs cut the already miniscule amount 3DS has by half.
If you're under CFW, pretty much everything out there will work - I managed to get my Acekard 2.1 (non DSI version, something that didn't work on any DSI/3DS FW!) up and running using a Boot Slot-2 CIA. Other people report even old R4 cards working fine.
DSTT seems to be best when it comes to quality/price ratio, and it works flawlessly with DS Forwarders, if you want your DS games to show up on the Home Menu.

hni_0097-png.49620

Anyone know of a guide for getting the DS forwarder working with an R4i? I assume they still haven't released the hack to let you run DS games directly from the SD card?

Dr. Worm

Banned
I'm on 11.0.0-33U, using v*hax to get into my homebrew launcher. I want to update in order to get some DLC and use the eShop, since ctr-httpwn isn't working for me. I've got OoT3D, but I don't have my old-firmware 3DS on me, and OoT3D has no payload.

How fucked am I?

rekameohs

Banned
i tried it and it worked.
i managed to test a bit and concluded that emunands wouldn't really help me since you can't have 2 NNIDs active at the same time on the same 3DS even though both are bound to the same hardware (nintendo being stupid in their design i guess.)
Yes, you can unlink NNID's in different NANDs, at least I did back in the pre-A9LH days with Sys and EmuNAND

Opa-Pa

I'm on 11.0.0-33U, using v*hax to get into my homebrew launcher. I want to update in order to get some DLC and use the eShop, since ctr-httpwn isn't working for me. I've got OoT3D, but I don't have my old-firmware 3DS on me, and OoT3D has no payload.

How fucked am I?

How are you using httpwn? I saw people suggest using Hans with it but it never worked, so I just went back to the 3DS menu without rebooting and it worked.

If that doesn't work, do you own pokemon ORAS? I know that method works on OG3DS with basehaxx on ORAS and that payload is fairly easy to set up.

Knurek

What FTP Homebrew are you using?

I'm using FTPD and every time I close the app it hangs for ~15seconds. Is there something better?

I'm using GMX-FTP, since that's the only one I could find as a CIA install, no problems on my side of things.

Anyone know of a guide for getting the DS forwarder working with an R4i? I assume they still haven't released the hack to let you run DS games directly from the SD card?

Not going to link to it, just google DS forwarders. First result for me.

Blastoise

Banned
GMX-FTP seems like it hasn't been updated in a while.

FTPD and FTPDB seem like the most active. Just wondering if theres anything even better/stable.

Madao

Yes, you can unlink NNID's in different NANDs, at least I did back in the pre-A9LH days with Sys and EmuNAND

maybe something changed but now i got an error on my sysnand after linking an nnid to the emunand.
i decided to leave the emunand without nnid since my important stuff was on sysnand.

How fucked am I?
For httpwn to work you have to exit the homebrew launcher by pressing X and then selecting "go back to home menu (no reboot)" or something like that. You have to do it every time you want to access the eShop tho

So I set up all my stuff on a 32GB SD card but it's not quite large enough for everything I want to do, so I'm thinking about moving to a 64. Is this as easy as just copying all the files on my current SD card over to a new one, or is there something more complicated than that?

So I set up all my stuff on a 32GB SD card but it's not quite large enough for everything I want to do, so I'm thinking about moving to a 64. Is this as easy as just copying all the files on my current SD card over to a new one, or is there something more complicated than that?

Do you use emunand?

If not, it's copy and paste

You need to format the 64GB card to FAT32 (64+ cards are SDXC and formatted as exFAT by default). You should do a backup of your card content and stress test the 64GB card with some actual play before committing too, some have overheating issues.

Do you use emunand?

If not, it's copy and paste

I don't think so, I used the Github guide linked in the OP.

I'm honestly a complete noob when it comes to this stuff, I literally just followed the steps exactly. I need a better understanding of what I actually did to my 2DS when following that guide...

EDIT: I see in the FAQ of that guide that I can just copy all the files from the SD card. And there was also a good point in there that helps me understand NAND stuff better.

So what do?

Update Gateway and BootNTR files to new verisons then system update?

or just update via system settings.

Yep, update via system settings in Luma mode (not Gateway).

Remember to actually install the BootNTR CIA and to update in Luma not Gateway since Gateway lacks firm protection , at best on an O3DS you'll remove a9lh at worst (and definitively on a N3DS) you'll hard brick and need an existing NAND backup and hardware mod to recover.

(I know I'm nagging about not updating in GW mode but way to many people brick that way).

fester

Banned
Apologies is this was already asked, but is there a way to be able to see the names of the specific Retroarch cia banners/logos? Some searching discovered a recommendation to switch the icon view to a single row, but that doesn't appear to have any affect. I'm flying blind as to which program I'm about to launch, and separate folders is a cluttered mess. Any suggestions?

nWYm1Zv.jpg

donny2112

Sort of a weird place to ask, but I just finished Slime MoriMori 3 3DS on an old 3DS using Region-Three. In the post-game,
there's an old Slime Tank in a gorge
with a guy saying something about "80" something. Guessing the 80 something could be completing all the individual people quests in the game, since there are 80 of them (I think, since my max is #79). Can anyone just say what happens if you do all 80?
Does the tank become playable?

Spoiler Picture

Thanks!

Edit:
For the record, since I've now completed it,
finishing all 80 individual quests nets you a pat on the back. No cool Slime Tank to float around the ocean in. No unlocking the GBA game or something awesome like that. No. Just a "well done. Have this 120 damage item that's useless after all the grinding you've done to get to this point.
:/

So I have a 2ds with CFW and a New 3ds XL that doesn't and is on 11.1. I bought a sky3ds to use my backups (since I don't want to carry carts every day to work) I make on my 2ds since I want the 3d and have screwed up doing the DSi firmware downgrade.

Can I use the saves from my carts on the sky3ds?

Do not get DSTWO if you value your battery life - flashcards with additional CPUs cut the already miniscule amount 3DS has by half.
If you're under CFW, pretty much everything out there will work - I managed to get my Acekard 2.1 (non DSI version, something that didn't work on any DSI/3DS FW!) up and running using a Boot Slot-2 CIA. Other people report even old R4 cards working fine.
DSTT seems to be best when it comes to quality/price ratio, and it works flawlessly with DS Forwarders, if you want your DS games to show up on the Home Menu.

hni_0097-png.49620

Is there a link to this?

marmoka

Banned
I imported a 3DS game from USA to Europe, and play it with Region Four (or whatever its name is). This game has some DLCs, some free, some need to be paid. Could it be possible to download the DLCs I'm interested in a normal way? Or should I forget about it?

And many thanks to those who worked on that homebrew guide. The process explanations are very clear, and even if it takes several hours to complete it, it's worth doing it.

dadjumper

I imported a 3DS game from USA to Europe, and play it with Region Four (or whatever its name is). This game has some DLCs, some free, some need to be paid. Could it be possible to download the DLCs I'm interested in a normal way? Or should I forget about it?

And many thanks to those who worked on that homebrew guide. The process explanations are very clear, and even if it takes several hours to complete it, it's worth doing it.

If by "in a normal way" you mean without installing a .cia, then no, I don't believe so.

Just to check if I understood the internet - if I have 11.0.0-33U unpatched (nothing) on a regular 3ds xl.. there is nothing i can do, right? I have VVVVVV (eshop), but it seems I need a "pre-hack" before being able to get it. No smash, and I have a OOT cartridge but no access to a hacked 3ds.

(edit: tbh i really only want it for a translated Dai Gyakuten Saiban - but there isn't such a thing yet. And GAF thought it was kinda bad anyways)

epmode

If you're on 11.0 or higher, you'll need a second, already-hacked system to hack the first system. In your case, it might have to be a regular 3DS, not a New 3DS. Not sure.

You can also install some kind of hardware mod to hack your 11.0.0-33U system but that's more trouble than it's worth.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I'm so lost on all of this. I've been using VVVV*hax to get into Homebrew Launcher. I haven't updated to the newest firmware, is there an update that allows VVVV hax to work on the newest firmware, or do I just need to wait it out?

(edit: tbh i really only want it for a translated Dai Gyakuten Saiban - but there isn't such a thing yet. And GAF thought it was kinda bad anyways)
The translation or the game?The game itself was great and the people I talked to on GAF that were also playing it at the time also liked it. The ending's pure ass but most of the cases themselves are great. Especially case 3. Like, god damn.

The translation or the game?The game itself was great and the people I talked to on GAF that were also playing it at the time also liked it. The ending's pure ass but most of the cases themselves are great. Especially case 3. Like, god damn.

People were talking about the game (I think announcement of the sequel or discussion of the latest US PW release). Damn. Now you are making me doubt, especially after I learn that I can't hack mine :/

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So is there a way to play Ace Attorney Investigations 2 if I don't own a DS flashcart anymore? I do own the JPN cart of the game id that helps?

Knurek

So is there a way to play Ace Attorney Investigations 2 if I don't own a DS flashcart anymore? I do own the JPN cart of the game id that helps?

No way yet.
Either get a $5 DS flashcart or wait (for god knows how long) whether the scene figures out how to install the DS games to 3DS SD.

Opa-Pa

I'm so lost on all of this. I've been using VVVV*hax to get into Homebrew Launcher. I haven't updated to the newest firmware, is there an update that allows VVVV hax to work on the newest firmware, or do I just need to wait it out?

I remember reading something about them dropping support for VVVVhax for somw reason, I think. It's hard to keep up with these things outside of twitter searching, sadly.

There's no real need to update tho, you can access all online services with httpwn in the meantime.

fester

Banned
I'm so incredibly happy with what I can do with my 3DS now. I have the best of both worlds: all the convenience of a digital copy with the tangible benefits of physical media. Even found a way to move my save files from the cart to the .cia version of the game. Outstanding. As Rich!/others pointed out, should have done this sooner.

Top Bottom