• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

L.O.R.D

so is it possible to rip my 3ds library, put all of them on my n3ds micro sd card and play em from there or is that still not a thing?
When ripping 3DS games it will appears as .3DS format,only gateway and sky3DS can play this.
You have to convert them to .cia format to install them on n3ds it self.

Ah excellent. Will look into hacking my n3ds this weekend then. Will be great to have all my games on my sd card, especially smash bros ☺️

swnny

Was this posted?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/coming-soon-otpless-a9lh-installation-on-n3ds-no-2-1-downgrade.443187/

In short - if you have a NEW 3DS running 9.2 firmware (or bellow, from my understanding) it is now possible to install A9LH almost instantly. Without downgrading to 2.1.0, without OTP dumping, without backing up anything. It's still in beta testing and there is a risk of briking the system, but they are improving it by the hour.

I for one have being waiting for such a simple method (well, not that simple actually :)) since I got my n3DS and installed menuhax on it, couldn't be bothered with installing A9LH for hours. When they updated the guide to simplify the process I was thinking of doing it, but never had the time to do it. And now, all the patience (and laziness) may pay off big time. :D

Was this posted?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/coming-soon-otpless-a9lh-installation-on-n3ds-no-2-1-downgrade.443187/

In short - if you have a NEW 3DS running 9.2 firmware (or bellow, from my understanding) it is now possible to install A9LH almost instantly. Without downgrading to 2.1.0, without OTP dumping, without backing up anything. It's still in beta testing and there is a risk of briking the system, but they are improving it by the hour.

I for one have being waiting for such a simple method (well, not that simple actually :)) since I got my n3DS and installed menuhax on it, couldn't be bothered with installing A9LH for hours. When they updated the guide to simplify the process I was thinking of doing it, but never had the time to do it. And now, all the patience (and laziness) may pay off big time. :D

Amazing progress, I'm on fw 11 but I'll keep waiting, hoping one day they find a way to cut needing a 2nd system

Vitacat

So I have a N3DS done with Plailect's guide a while ago, running a9LH and Luma3DS on 11.0 FW.

Is it safe and recommended to update to 11.1?

So I have a N3DS done with Plailect's guide a while ago, running a9LH and Luma3DS on 11.0 FW.

Is it safe and recommended to update to 11.1?

Yes. Update Luma and restart first (you likely need to get a new config file judging by how long it's been). You should also update BootNTR and the Gateway launcher file if you use them but that can be done later. Remember to be online when you launch HBLauncher after updating too, so you get the new payload.

marmoka

Banned
I homebrewed my old 3ds, to firmware 9.2, using the guide. I'm trying to play Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse using Region-Three, but the screen goes black, I wait, and wait, and wait, but still black. Could anyway play it with region-three in a European 3DS? Does anybody know why it doesn't work? Thanks.

Knurek

I homebrewed my old 3ds, to firmware 9.2, using the guide. I'm trying to play Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse using Region-Three, but the screen goes black, I wait, and wait, and wait, but still black. Could anyway play it with region-three in a European 3DS? Does anybody know why it doesn't work? Thanks.

Sounds like an encryption seed issue.
Newer (9.2+ FW IIRC) games require connecting to the Nintendo's CDN servers once for getting decryption key.
How did you install the game? With FBI? It has an option for getting the seed value, might want to try it first.

marmoka

Banned
Sounds like an encryption seed issue.
Newer (9.2+ FW IIRC) games require connecting to the Nintendo's CDN servers once for getting decryption key.
How did you install the game? With FBI? It has an option for getting the seed value, might want to try it first.

Probably I didn't specify everything. It's an original cartridge of the game, imported from USA. That's why I'm a little pissed off, because I bought the game legally.

Do I still need to go through FBI?

Knurek

Probably I didn't specify everything. It's an original cartridge of the game, imported from USA. That's why I'm a little pissed off, because I bought the game legally.

Do I still need to go through FBI?

If you're on 9.2 FW, you can run Luma3DS, right? No need to setup AL9H, there's a version of Luma for Homebrew Launcher.
It strips the region lock feature completely, so your cart should work without needing RegionThree.

marmoka

Banned
If you're on 9.2 FW, you can run Luma3DS, right? No need to setup AL9H, there's a version of Luma for Homebrew Launcher.
It strips the region lock feature completely, so your cart should work without needing RegionThree.

Thank you so much. I will try later at home.

marmoka

Banned
I could finally make it work!!

It's 3am now, apparently I did something to my 3ds that I wasn't supposed to do, while trying to change the region, so I could order DLCs as well. The screen went totally black, I couldn't do nothing, only load Decrypt9 and Luma when switching the handheld on. I finally could restore my 3ds to a previous SYSNAND backup, that I created when using the homebrew tutorial, I changed the actual files9 folder with the old one, and finally worked.

Later I decided to activate the region emulation, instead of changing and screwing up again. My 3DS works and the game works really well. It's 3am, and I could finally fix the handheld, and test if I could play with the imported game. It's late to play now, but it was worth it. At least I will rest well tonight, without thinking all the time that I have to buy a new 3ds because I bricked mine.

TB14

Downgraded from 10.6 to 9.2 and installed Luma3DS today. Don't have OoT or Cubic Ninja, so I had to do it through BrowserHax and MenuHax.

Also installed HENkaku on my Vita.

EDIT: This
title key
stuff is crazy and I thought the PSP was bad.

epmode

Downgraded from 10.6 to 9.2 and installed Luma3DS today. Don't have OoT or Cubic Ninja, so I had to do it through BrowserHax and MenuHax.

Also installed HENkaku on my Vita.

EDIT: This
title key
stuff is crazy and I thought the PSP was bad.

What's a title key?

What's a title key?

It's the key used to identify your system to the eshop server as owning a title (yes , this is a moronic system from a security point of view). The system used for generating this key has been compromised, so it's possible to use the Eshop as a piracy service.

Note: I strongly advise against doing this , it would be trivial for Nintendo to detect this and ban associated accounts / consoles from their service (and that's avoiding any of the moral or ethical issues).

Lettuce

Ok haven't update Luma for about 4 months, im using the arm9loaderhax (so hard modded) and have noticed theres now a folder for 'mset' and 'mest-spider' now along with 'hax' folder do i need to add these to my 3ds sd card or do i just need to copy over the arm9loarderhax.bin file and overwrite?

This is what my 3ds SD card looks like...

DNbgTuD.jpg

do i still need all those folders?

B.K.

If I want to get my Ambassador titles from my old 3DS to my New 3DS with custom firmware, I just do a regular system transfer, right?

Ok haven't update Luma for about 4 months, im using the arm9loaderhax (so hard modded) and have noticed theres now a folder for 'mset' and 'mest-spider' now along with 'hax' folder do i need to add these to my 3ds sd card or do i just need to copy over the arm9loarderhax.bin file and overwrite?

This is what my 3ds SD card looks like...

DNbgTuD.jpg

do i still need all those folders?

You shouldn't need (from Luma: mset, mset-spider, hax, these are all alternate entrypoints to Luma that you don't need if you use a9lh), (from your card: aurei or menuhax, the first is the old Luma folder and deprecated, the second is menuhax information which doesn't work on 11.1 anyway ) , you may or may not need CIAs depending on if you need to (re)install stuff you have in there , youneed boot.3dsx if you're using HBLauncher (since its the Homebrew Channel 3dsx).

And yeah you just need to copy over the an arm9loaderhax.bin, you probably need to rename your Luma / payloads folder contents to the new format as well which is button_name.bin

If I want to get my Ambassador titles from my old 3DS to my New 3DS with custom firmware, I just do a regular system transfer, right?

If you're using a9lh on SysNand yes, if you're still using EmuNANDit's a little bit more complicated.

JimPanzer

is it safe with updating Emunand to the latest firmware? I'm currently on RX-E 11.0.0.33J but would like to have access to the eshop to buy Monster Hunter Stories in a week.

Bowl0l

is it safe with updating Emunand to the latest firmware? I'm currently on RX-E 11.0.0.33J but would like to have access to the eshop to buy Monster Hunter Stories in a week.
just use ctr-hhtpwn. i am able to access eshop to purchase DLC and download Darkrai.
Launch it at homebrew, then press start and x to launch home without reboot.

Hey guys. I have a new 3ds on firmware 9.2 or 9.0 not 100% sure.

When I turn my system on I hold down to access the homevrew channel.

My question is how do I install an emunand to update so I can access the eshop without losing all my homebrew stuff.

My understanding is I can keep my 9.2 system (for lack of a better word), while also having a Seperate system on the latest firmware to access the shop and buy digital titles?

Can anyone help and please keep it simple for me? Thank you

JimPanzer

just use ctr-hhtpwn. i am able to access eshop to purchase DLC and download Darkrai.
Launch it at homebrew, then press start and x to launch home without reboot.

ctr-httpwn doesn't work for me, I always get an error message because my firmware is under 9.6. :/

epmode

It's the key used to identify your system to the eshop server as owning a title (yes , this is a moronic system from a security point of view). The system used for generating this key has been compromised, so it's possible to use the Eshop as a piracy service.

Nintendo is so bad at this stuff.

Nintendo is so bad at this stuff.

All the console manufacturers seem to be pretty terrible at holistic security. They seem to allocate everything to preventing unsigned code running and then trust drunken monkeys for the rest of their security (the first thing you'll ever learn about security is to never trust the client, a rule which is obviously broken here). Part of this is probably that they are chasing the moon (the ability to provide content to people without them being able to access it) , another part is that there's a trade off between how secure an algorithm is and how complex it is to implement , and the third part is that when you're dealing with publicly exposed system it's one security team at one point in time trying to defend a system from every hacker on the planet into perpetuity, which is not exactly a fair fight.

Drain You

Just popped in to say how impressed I am with Snes emulation on OG 3ds has come. I remember people saying it would be impossible to get it running on the old 3ds, only n3ds. It may not be perfect, but it's more than acceptable for me. Games with that extra chip in the cartridge I believe still don't work, but beggars can't be choosers.

Just popped in to say how impressed I am with Snes emulation on OG 3ds has come. I remember people saying it would be impossible to get it running on the old 3ds, only n3ds. It may not be perfect, but it's more than acceptable for me. Games with that extra chip in the cartridge I believe still don't work, but beggars can't be choosers.

Some of those chip games give my (very high end) Latop problems for proper emulation, though Nintendo seems to have found a work around for some of them on the N3DS.

Kade

Got a regular sized New 3DS last night so I could install Luma and unfortunately, the person I bought it off of had it fully updated so I looked into downgrading the system version but it looks like I need a already CFW'd 3DS, which I don't have, or I have to hardmod the system, which I don't have the tools or skills for. I'm not familiar with how the development progresses in the 3DS homebrew community but I'm assuming eventually the most recent version will be cracked open so I won't have to downgrade and I'm willing to wait for that. I was wondering if there was an easy way to put a CFW on a New 3DS that is fully updated or if it's better to either wait for the current version to get cracked or to invest in some extra hardware for hardmodding or a flashcard.

Got a regular sized New 3DS last night so I could install Luma and unfortunately, the person I bought it off of had it fully updated so I looked into downgrading the system version but it looks like I need a already CFW'd 3DS, which I don't have, or I have to hardmod the system, which I don't have the tools or skills for. I'm not familiar with how the development progresses in the 3DS homebrew community but I'm assuming eventually the most recent version will be cracked open so I won't have to downgrade and I'm willing to wait for that. I was wondering if there was an easy way to put a CFW on a New 3DS that is fully updated or if it's better to either wait for the current version to get cracked or to invest in some extra hardware for hardmodding or a flashcard.
Where do you live?

RowdyReverb

What's the best way to play SNES games on the OG 3DS?

RowdyReverb

O3ds , an specific fork of snes9x for o3ds

N3ds, vc injection
So I finally went through the trouble of getting BlargSNES installed on my O3DS. I had to install DSP Dump as well to get the sound working, and I have to say I'm very impressed with the results. To the point where I'm a bit surprised Nintendo made SNES VC exclusive to the N3DS

Madao

Was this posted?

i was surprised when i noticed this method yesterday when hacking my newest 3DS.
for a second it hought the guide was skipping around but then i read it and it was clear.

also, since this 3DS i got came with 9.0.0, i had probably the fastest ever setup of homebrew ever. took under an hour to go from stock to full A9LH setup. the system transfer from my other 3DS to it took longer.

Aeana

Was this posted?

I've been holding off on A9LH because I literally do not have the time required to install it. I see people saying things like "It only took about 4 hours," no idea how people have time for something like that. Anyway, this is definitely welcome.

n0razi

I've been holding off on A9LH because I literally do not have the time required to install it. I see people saying things like "It only took about 4 hours," no idea how people have time for something like that. Anyway, this is definitely welcome.

A LOT of it was literally pressing A and then letting it sit for 30 minutes, repeat.... apparently the crappy cpu was taking a long time to decrypt packages. Installing CIAs also takes hours.

B.K.

I installed A9LH on a fresh New 3DS a couple weeks ago and it took just a little over a hour, with the new guide. Part of it taking that long was my fault, too. I overlooked a step in the instructions and it took probably 10 minutes for me to figure out what I did wrong. Even without the non-downgrade method, it's still a lot faster than it used to be. The firs time I installed A9LH, it took about six hours and that was with a system that already had emuNAND setup on it.

EricB

So my 64 gig SD card in my hacked 3DS failed. My 2nd failed 64 gig card in the last month. This one was more painful as it had my Dragon Quest VII save file, as well as my emunand and everything that went with it.

Now I basically have a Japanese New 3DS on firmware 9.1.0. My question is: Where do I go from here? Is my system without the SD card basically an untouched system? Or is there something I need to do before I go for it again?

I will say that I am staying away from 64 bit cards on the 3DS from now on. I've never had a card fail before this and now I've had two in less than a month.

Ogawa-san

I will say that I am staying away from 64 bit cards on the 3DS from now on. I've never had a card fail before this and now I've had two in less than a month.
Anecdotal and all, but ever since I started using homebrew on my 3DS its current 64GB card self-destructed about three times. It just... corrupted, out of nowhere. I got two of those cards, the other has been running on my phone without a hitch.

At least with A9LH you don't need to redo everything to get HB working again, just luma + the bin file. So you could backup the entire SD card like once a month or something, then restoring is just a matter of copying everything back.

EricB

Anecdotal and all, but ever since I started using homebrew on my 3DS its current 64GB card self-destructed about three times. It just... corrupted, out of nowhere. I got two of those cards, the other has been running on my phone without a hitch.

At least with A9LH you don't need to redo everything to get HB working again, just luma + the bin file. So you could backup the entire SD card like once a month or something, then restoring is just a matter of copying everything back.

Yeah, I am(or at least was before an hour ago) totally ignorant of what A9LH is and was curious of the benefits. I'm thinking I will take this opportunity to use that method rather than menuhax--which I was using before.

The only thing of great value I am really losing here is my Dragon Quest VII save. I was about 12-15 hours into the game so it is a bit of a bummer. Is there any way to import a save file?

Yes , always test SDXC cards especially the really good ones before committing. The 3DS seems to have issues with some cards. I've found that the 64GB ones that aren't high performance but are from good brands are the most dependable. As of this year, I've found some of the high performance ones work too but I'm careful to test them first.

Joey Ravn

Banned
So my 64 gig SD card in my hacked 3DS failed. My 2nd failed 64 gig card in the last month. This one was more painful as it had my Dragon Quest VII save file, as well as my emunand and everything that went with it.

It happened to me once, and that's why I decided to go with a physical copy of Dragon Quest VII. I can tolerate restarting a Zelda or Picross... but losing all my progress in DQ or all my Pokémon sounds like hell :(

Top Bottom