• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Everything. Total and complete control. You can do anything. No limits. It's worth it, and easier/faster to do now than ever.
Sorry I'm still really new to this.

But when you say I have complete control, what exactly does that mean? So far I have emulators loaded but other than that I've done nothing with my cfw.

What exactly can I do with this?

epmode

It happened to me once, and that's why I decided to go with a physical copy of Dragon Quest VII. I can tolerate restarting a Zelda or Picross... but losing all my progress in DQ or all my Pokémon sounds like hell :(

Couldn't hurt to back up your card every few weeks.

That's all it takes with A9LH, right? You can simply copy/paste everything on your memory card to a backup drive? Or do you have to back up the sysnand with Hourglass9 as well?

Is there a faster way to make backups of your save data only? svdt takes forever.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Couldn't hurt to back up your card every few weeks.

That's all it takes with A9LH, right? You can simply copy/paste everything on your memory card to a backup drive? Or do you have to back up the sysnand with Hourglass9 as well?

Is there a faster way to make backups of your save data only? svdt takes forever.

Oh, I do. But even if I backed up once a week, I could potentially lose tens of hours of gameplay in DQVII or a crapton of progress in Pokémon! There are a few games I much rather have on a physical cart than installed on the system, even if that means losing ease of access.

fester

Banned
Sorry I'm still really new to this.

But when you say I have complete control, what exactly does that mean? So far I have emulators loaded but other than that I've done nothing with my cfw.

What exactly can I do with this?

It means you can install anything you want directly into the home screen menu. You boot into the "normal" 3DS menu, have full access to the eShop, and can update to the newest official versions but won't get locked out ever because the exploit happens before the system boots. You are essentially "brick-proof" and can recover by using NAND backups you make. You can install your physical games permanently to your 3DS and leave the originals at home in their cases.

The only weakness is that you are now dependent on the quality of your SD card - if it fails, you won't be able to boot anymore. Backing up everything is easy, just copy the contents of the SD card to another location, but I suppose that can get tedious if playing an RPG.

I recently upgraded to a 128GB SanDisk card so that I could fit all my games on a single card, but these stories about sd failures are getting me paranoid.....

RowdyReverb

It means you can install anything you want directly into the home screen menu. You boot into the "normal" 3DS menu, have full access to the eShop, and can update to the newest official versions but won't get locked out ever because the exploit happens before the system boots. You are essentially "brick-proof" and can recover by using NAND backups you make. You can install your physical games permanently to your 3DS and leave the originals at home in their cases.

The only weakness is that you are now dependent on the quality of your SD card - if it fails, you won't be able to boot anymore. Backing up everything is easy, just copy the contents of the SD card to another location, but I suppose that can get tedious if playing an RPG.

I recently upgraded to a 128GB SanDisk card so that I could fit all my games on a single card, but these stories about sd failures are getting me paranoid.....

Does that mean that I can just install the update that my 3DS keeps pestering me about without worrying? I have A9LH installed via Gateway's method

Madao

what's up with people having failed 64GB SD cards recently?

i just upgraded to 64 GB SD cards in both of my main 3DS units because i almost ran out of space and this sucks to hear.

which brands did you guys use? currently i have a Samsung 64GB micro SD card on my N3DS and a Sandisk 64GB card on my old 3DS (this one is unhacked because i already have enough hacked units).

i'm gonna be very worried about this. i still have my previous cards to roll back but then i'll end up with space issues again..

i just upgraded to 64 GB SD cards in both of my main 3DS units because i almost ran out of space and this sucks to hear.

which brands did you guys use? currently i have a Samsung 64GB micro SD card on my N3DS and a Sandisk 64GB card on my old 3DS (this one is unhacked because i already have enough hacked units).

i'm gonna be very worried about this. i still have my previous cards to roll back but then i'll end up with space issues again..

I've never had problems with (non-high performance) 64GB cards from good brands (Lexar, Sandisk, etc). I've has problems with Lexars 128 GB High Performance Cards in the past but the Sandisk Ultra High Performance 128GB I bought a couple of months ago has been fine.

Madao

I've never had problems with (non-high performance) 64GB cards from good brands (Lexar, Sandisk, etc). I've has problems with Lexars 128 GB High Performance Cards in the past but the Sandisk Ultra High Performance 128GB I bought a couple of months ago has been fine.

hm i see. my cards shouldn't be high performance since i lowballed and got cheaper cards from the brands i listed.

still, i hope there's no problems with them in the long run.

oh btw, what cluster size is best for these cards? i can't seem to find a definitive answer. i have 64k clusters currently.

fester

Banned
Does that mean that I can just install the update that my 3DS keeps pestering me about without worrying? I have A9LH installed via Gateway's method

I don't know much about Gateway personally, but from poking around for a few minutes it looks like updating it in Sysnand will end up very badly so don't do that. Emunand is apparently OK, but please don't take my word for it. Referenced this thread

Phailect's method and end result seems much more straightforward. Looking at the GW website, I'm not sure what benefits it offers.

Bowl0l

I have a dead Samsung micro sd card due to using a card reader to format it.

EricB

Oh, I do. But even if I backed up once a week, I could potentially lose tens of hours of gameplay in DQVII or a crapton of progress in Pokémon! There are a few games I much rather have on a physical cart than installed on the system, even if that means losing ease of access.

I had a physical and digital copy of Dragon Quest VII but I was playing digital to use the orchestral ost. 15 or so hours of lost progress later, and I am now using the cartridge as well.

Hopefully once I get up and running with an unlocked system again I can find a way to run the Japanese music off the SD card while using the U.S. cartridge.

I'm going to be very familiar with the first 15 hours of this game. Thankfully, I love it; I just wish I had more time. That's like two weeks of game time for me.

Was this posted?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/coming-soon-otpless-a9lh-installation-on-n3ds-no-2-1-downgrade.443187/

In short - if you have a NEW 3DS running 9.2 firmware (or bellow, from my understanding) it is now possible to install A9LH almost instantly. Without downgrading to 2.1.0, without OTP dumping, without backing up anything. It's still in beta testing and there is a risk of briking the system, but they are improving it by the hour.

I for one have being waiting for such a simple method (well, not that simple actually :)) since I got my n3DS and installed menuhax on it, couldn't be bothered with installing A9LH for hours. When they updated the guide to simplify the process I was thinking of doing it, but never had the time to do it. And now, all the patience (and laziness) may pay off big time. :D

Ooooh. Interesting. I haven't touched my n3DS since like 10.3 update but I'm still on 9.2. Was going to install A9LH but it was just too intimidating and time consuming. Will wait for them to clear the bugs on this method :D

hm i see. my cards shouldn't be high performance since i lowballed and got cheaper cards from the brands i listed.

oh btw, what cluster size is best for these cards? i can't seem to find a definitive answer. i have 64k clusters currently.

64 kb should probably be faster (most 3DS games have most files larger than 64 kb), it's also a little more risky (if you're going to do downgrades, install system CIAs, reflash NAND backups or flash a9lh payloads you should probably stick to 32 kb).

EricB

...and I'm up and running on a A9LH system. Process was a breeze, even without the newer, untested, simplified version..

Doopliss

Using 64k clusters shaves 1-2 seconds off boot time but games load at exactly the same speed (from my own testing). According to the patch notes from the most recent release of emunand9 it causes problems with GBA VC games so 32k is now recommended.

epmode

What's the easiest way to back up your saves if you're using Luma3DS and A9LH? I'm talking about the saves for games that were ripped from a cart and are now being played right from your SD card.

I'd like to avoid using a program like svdt or anything that makes me relaunch it every time I want to work with a different game.

Should I just make a backup of the entire SD card? Are the saves stored on sysnand instead?

ive been using rxtools for the past few months. now its no longer booting..

am I able to just reformat my card and start from the beginning? I have 7.1.0 firmware

What's the easiest way to back up your saves if you're using Luma3DS and A9LH? I'm talking about the saves for games that were ripped from a cart and are now being played right from your SD card.

I'd like to avoid using a program like svdt or anything that makes me relaunch it every time I want to work with a different game.

Should I just make a backup of the entire SD card? Are the saves stored on sysnand instead?

If you've got Luma then JKSM is by far the best.

ive been using rxtools for the past few months. now its no longer booting..

am I able to just reformat my card and start from the beginning? I have 7.1.0 firmware

You're probably using EmuNAND then , which makes Formatting the card a bad idea as you'll lose your EmuNAND. The best way to go is to dump your EmuNAND via Decrypt9 or similar first (assuming everything is stored on that). After that you should be good to follow Plailect's Guide. except that after you're done you can flash your EmuNAND backup to SysNAND using Hourglass9 or similar (make sure there aren't any altered system files on your EmuNAND though, like patched TWL or region changing or edited SecureInfo files etc)

epmode

If you've got Luma then JKSM is by far the best.

Ah, that takes forever. Unless there's a CIA version of jksm that I never tried (since I go through the Homebrew Launcher which occasionally crashes my 3DS).

If I were to copy the entire SD card using Windows, would that also cover my save files?

edit: SORRY, I GOT CONFUSED WITH SVDT. svdt requires the Homebrew Launcher and I'm actually not familiar with JKSM. It apparently has a CIA version so I'll try it.

edit: Omg it's so much faster and more reliable than svdt. I like it lots.

Was wondering if someone can help me out.

Basically, I want to take my files from my 3DSXL's SD card, which was not on CFW, and bring them (specifically save files) to my N3DS.

But here's the issue: I got impatient and formatted my 3DSXL (with the SD card taken out) since I'm selling it very soon. The result is that now I've got an SD card with all the data from that system, all inconveniently named with random strings of numbers and letters and I've got no idea what to do with it. My first instinct is to just copy it over and hope for the best - would this work, or would my N3DS just ignore the data? How else can I transfer this information, specifically save files (mainly for Pokemon X, US version)?

Was wondering if someone can help me out.

Basically, I want to take my files from my 3DSXL's SD card, which was not on CFW, and bring them (specifically save files) to my N3DS.

But here's the issue: I got impatient and formatted my 3DSXL (with the SD card taken out) since I'm selling it very soon. The result is that now I've got an SD card with all the data from that system, all inconveniently named with random strings of numbers and letters and I've got no idea what to do with it. My first instinct is to just copy it over and hope for the best - would this work, or would my N3DS just ignore the data? How else can I transfer this information, specifically save files (mainly for Pokemon X, US version)?

I'm afraid that SD cards content is probably completely useless now, it's encrypted with signing keys specific to a NAND file you erased by formatting.

The exceptions are if you did a system transfer from that O3DS to the N3DS before the format (in which case you can copy to a new micro SD and go) or you at some point had CFW on the O3DS and dumped the SysNAND or files required to decrypt the SD card (movable.sed and some other stuff).

I'm afraid that SD cards content is probably completely useless now, it's encrypted with signing keys specific to a NAND file you erased by formatting.

The exceptions are if you did a system transfer from that O3DS to the N3DS before the format (in which case you can copy to a new micro SD and go) or you at some point had CFW on the O3DS and dumped the SysNAND or files required to decrypt the SD card (movable.sed and some other stuff).

weeeelp

Ah well, shouldn't have been so impatient. My own fault on that one. Though not gonna lie, bit salty that Nintendo put some asinine protection like that on save files. Another example of their attempts to quell homebrew with the least amount of effort (who needs protection on the eShop servers??) just leading to anti-consumer garbage.

Xeno_V

You're probably using EmuNAND then , which makes Formatting the card a bad idea as you'll lose your EmuNAND. The best way to go is to dump your EmuNAND via Decrypt9 or similar first (assuming everything is stored on that). After that you should be good to follow Plailect's Guide. except that after you're done you can flash your EmuNAND backup to SysNAND using Hourglass9 or similar (make sure there aren't any altered system files on your EmuNAND though, like patched TWL or region changing or edited SecureInfo files etc)

I am also on EmuNAND and I want to get rid of it and follow the latest guides available.
Is this the safest thing to do? I guess that this method will allow me to retain all of my saves and downloaded games right?

In case that anyone followed any alternative way to do this let me know!

Also if I follow Plailect's guide step by step will I just delete my emunand somewhere along the way? I might be ok even with this as I don't mind losing most of my stuff.

I am also on EmuNAND and I want to get rid of it and follow the latest guides available.
Is this the safest thing to do? I guess that this method will allow me to retain all of my saves and downloaded games right?

In case that anyone followed any alternative way to do this let me know!

Also if I follow Plailect's guide step by step will I just delete my emunand somewhere along the way? I might be ok even with this as I don't mind losing most of my stuff.

Backup your emunand, follow plailect's guide, once you get al9h, you'll have the option to restore nand. Just use your emunand for that.

Kadin

Ooooh. Interesting. I haven't touched my n3DS since like 10.3 update but I'm still on 9.2. Was going to install A9LH but it was just too intimidating and time consuming. Will wait for them to clear the bugs on this method :D
Same. While I can appreciate the desire to change to A9LH, there was way too much involved for me to consider doing it. Right now on 9.2 and while occasionally the system might not boot and I have to attempt a 2nd or 3rd time, I'm okay with it. Very anxious to see what this new method is about once it's fully tested and ready for general release.

Sagitario

Is there an idiot proof guide to install homebrew?

I have:
- Original 3DS on 9.9.0-17U
- 3DS XL on 9.9.0-22U
- New 3DS XL on 11.0.0-33U

- Cubic Ninja
- IronFall: Invasion
- Ocarina of Time 3D
- Freakyforms Deluxe: Your Creations, Alive!

I'd like to have it installed on the New 3DS (I read the extra CPU power makes some games run better, like Dragon Quest VII).

Zomba13

Is there an idiot proof guide to install homebrew?

I have:
- Original 3DS on 9.9.0-17U
- 3DS XL on 9.9.0-22U
- New 3DS XL on 11.0.0-33U

- Cubic Ninja
- IronFall: Invasion
- Ocarina of Time 3D
- Freakyforms Deluxe: Your Creations, Alive!

I'd like to have it installed on the New 3DS (I read the extra CPU power makes some games run better, like Dragon Quest VII).

I'm an idiot and have used this guide for both my Old3DS and My New3DS when it was on 11.0

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

Kattbuss

I wonder if someone could help me with this question.
I have an old 3ds that I could install cfw on in order to downgrade and get cfw on my new 3ds that is on the latest firmware. The question is, I still want to keep my NNID that is on my new 3ds along with some saves for games.
Is this possible somehow? I couldn't figure out the above by reading the guide.

Or is it better to use a "burner" NNID in case of a ban. Are the saves usable on a new NNID?

I wonder if someone could help me with this question.
I have an old 3ds that I could install cfw on in order to downgrade and get cfw on my new 3ds that is on the latest firmware. The question is, I still want to keep my NNID that is on my new 3ds along with some saves for games.
Is this possible somehow? I couldn't figure out the above by reading the guide.

Or is it better to use a "burner" NNID in case of a ban. Are the saves usable on a new NNID?

I don't think there's currently an easily accessible entrypoint to be able to dump saves on 11.1 , you should probably check an entrypoint list and see if you have access to any of them (since you already have an O3DS you should be able to install them easily if you do) . You can keep the NNID by formatting the N3DS and then just putting the NNID back after you setup the CFW.

Kattbuss

I don't think there's currently an easily accessible entrypoint to be able to dump saves on 11.1 , you should probably check an entrypoint list and see if you have access to any of them (since you already have an O3DS you should be able to install them easily if you do) . You can keep the NNID by formatting the N3DS and then just putting the NNID back after you setup the CFW.

Thanks for the answer!

So Id have to format the n3ds to factory settings? Wouldnt the NNID from the old 3ds follow to the new 3ds or can I replace my NNID after?

Not sure what you mean by entrypoint, still pretty new at this. Where could I find a list?
All of the saves are from eshop games on the SD card if that matters.

Thanks for the answer!

So Id have to format the n3ds to factory settings? Wouldnt the NNID from the old 3ds follow to the new 3ds or can I replace my NNID after?

Not sure what you mean by entrypoint, still pretty new at this. Where could I find a list?
All of the saves are from eshop games on the SD card if that matters.

You can find a list of potential entry points here: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/ , select the one you own then follow through the link to get more details, note that many of them don't work on 11.1 (pretty much none of the "Easy" entrypoints (not requiring an additional game) work on 11.1) but if you own one of the things that works you can go from there. There's also Steelhax but that's no good to you , since its an eshop download and you need another entry point to start it (so you can use it after you do a system transfer by setting it up first, but it's no good for dumping saves on the N3DS).

Yes, the NNID from the O3DS will be transferred when you do the transer (and you can't transfer back since its N3DS to O3DS which is a no go) but if you don't mind losing the stuff from your O3DS you can just system format after you've got the CFW setup and then put in your N3DS NNID again (the CFW stuff isn't affected by NNID / System Formats post-install).

Kattbuss

You can find a list of potential entry points here: http://smealum.github.io/3ds/ , select the one you own then follow through the link to get more details, note that many of them don't work on 11.1 (pretty much none of the "Easy" entrypoints (not requiring an additional game) work on 11.1) but if you own one of the things that works you can go from there. There's also Steelhax but that's no good to you , since its an eshop download and you need another entry point to start it (so you can use it after you do a system transfer by setting it up first, but it's no good for dumping saves on the N3DS).

Yes, the NNID from the O3DS will be transferred when you do the transer (and you can't transfer back since its N3DS to O3DS which is a no go) but if you don't mind losing the stuff from your O3DS you can just system format after you've got the CFW setup and then put in your N3DS NNID again (the CFW stuff isn't affected by NNID / System Formats post-install).

Thanks again for the helpful answer, much appreciated!

Hopefully I'll be able to set aside some time to do this soon.

Thanks again for the helpful answer, much appreciated!

Hopefully I'll be able to set aside some time to do this soon.

Forgot to mention, if you find an entry point you can use you can tdvs or svdt or the 3dsx version of JKSM to dump saves, you'll probably need the additional memory mapping version of the homebrew channel from here: https://github.com/ihaveamac/9.6-dbgen-xmls as well to dump saves on most newer games. You'll likely still find many games that don't work sadly.

Kattbuss

Forgot to mention, if you find an entry point you can use you can tdvs or the 3dsx version of JKSM to dump saves, you'll probably need the additional memory mapping version of the homebrew channel from here: https://github.com/ihaveamac/9.6-dbgen-xmls as well to dump saves on most newer games. You'll likely still find many games that don't work sadly.

This is more complicated than I thought ;-)
But thank you again, I'll read up on it a bit and see if the games are supported.

Teppic

I'm about to start doing this on a New 3DS with firmware 9.2. Following this guide: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/

Some noob questions:
I want to do the Homebrew Launcher (Browser) method. I read this guide before and it mentioned something about blocking Nintendo updates by a certain DNS, otherwise the browser update can show up and once it do it won't go away and you can no longer use this method. I can't find this in the guide anymore. Is this really not needed now? Do I just create a new wifi connection for the 3ds the normal way?

The guide also mentions this for 9.0.0 - 9.8.0: "Skip changing the date and time and initializing savedata in the beginning." I should skip all of these right? All I need to do (after copying all necessary files to the SD card) is to change theme, switch back the theme, and then scan the QR code?

I'm about to start doing this on a New 3DS with firmware 9.2. Following this guide: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/

Some noob questions:
I want to do the Homebrew Launcher (Browser) method. I read this guide before and it mentioned something about blocking Nintendo updates by a certain DNS, otherwise the browser update can show up and once it do it won't go away and you can no longer use this method. I can't find this in the guide anymore. Is this really not needed now? Do I just create a new wifi connection for the 3ds the normal way?

The guide also mentions this for 9.0.0 - 9.8.0: "Skip changing the date and time and initializing savedata in the beginning." I should skip all of these right? All I need to do (after copying all necessary files to the SD card) is to change theme, switch back the theme, and then scan the QR code?

What version are you on currently ? The DNS thing was for like 10.2 - 10.8 or some such.

Teppic

What version are you on currently ? The DNS thing was for like 10.2 - 10.8 or some such.
9.2. It's just that I remember reading it, but I'm not sure where exactly. I know that I got a bit unsure how to add the dns When I read about it and figured I had to ask here first since messing this step up would be very inconvenient for me as I'm not sure that I have another way to launch the homebrew launcher. I didn't ask then, I postponed the update instead. And now it's gone. This wasn't so long ago, about 1-2 weeks.

9.2. It's just that I remember reading it, but I'm not sure where exactly. I know that I got a bit unsure how to add the dns When I read about it and figured I had to ask here first since messing this step up would be very inconvenient for me as I'm not sure that I have another way to launch the homebrew launcher. I didn't ask then, I postponed the update instead. And now it's gone. This wasn't so long ago, about 1-2 weeks.

9.2 is before they built in the Browser invalidation at all. You're actually in a great position because from 9.2 you just install Browserhax and go straight to OTPLess a9lh with a N3DS, You should be done in a couple of minutes unless you choose to do a NAND dump to be really safe (recommended).

fester

Banned
Does anyone have any recent experience with purchasing a new n3DS at retail (Target, Amazon, etc.) and seeing what firmware version is being used?

Vitacat

Does anyone have any recent experience with purchasing a new n3DS at retail (Target, Amazon, etc.) and seeing what firmware version is being used?

The only thing I can say is that if you're interested in the Mario edition (the smaller New 3DS with faceplates) they come with 10.7 and are therefore easily modded.

Teppic

9.2 is before they built in the Browser invalidation at all. You're actually in a great position because from 9.2 you just install Browserhax and go straight to OTPLess a9lh with a N3DS, You should be done in a couple of minutes unless you choose to do a NAND dump to be really safe (recommended).
I'm not sure what OPTLess is. I just follow the instructions of part 3 right?

It's really variable, if you're looking at something that's been in an unopened display cabinet you may get 9.6 or 9.7 N3DS if they are the standard faceplates, stuff that's sitting on shelves can be on 10.8.

The special edition faceplates that always come with 1 or 2 specific versions are great if you can find one at a version that works for you.

Top Bottom