• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS reserves start December 26th.

Jackano

gkryhewy said:
249E means 249USD
Usually indeed :D

April 7th is a fri...
Edit: in fact it's a Thursday. Frakking windows calendar!
Not like most releases in Europe. Still a placeholder date until January 19th anyway...
The PEGi 7+ intel is interesting too.

199£ would be brilliant, and it would translate to 330$. 179£ would translate to 279$, which would be my best bet

me would stop would'ing about though

beje

Banned
You have to take into account that all Euro prices have taxes already included (between 15 and 20% more or less depending on the country) so if you want to make a direct conversion, it would be...

- 250€ (tax inc.) ~ 210€ (tax exc.) ~ $281

And that would be without taking into account that we get extra importing taxes and shit so, as always, we will have € = $, or even better in US$ behalf.

After Nintendo won E3 with the 3DS this year. I thought this thing would sell gangbusters. Ill still probably buy one, but this thing could be the next virtual boy. I bought that too ;) I was watching CNN yesterday and the news ticker had Nintendo warns next game system not for kids under six. Interesting that this was timed with the preorder opening. This is going to blow up in the media. Especially, when the first few kids damage their eyes and the lawsuits start, both against nintendo, and potentially the owner of the 3DS. Also, DS is very popular with many of my younger nephews. Many parents with even one kid under six wouldnt dare buy one for their older kid. Basically Nintendos market cap for these things is already much less than DS.

Hey, this thing needs a healthy serving of negative publicity for Nintendo to knock the launch price down fifty bucks or so.

BAD FOR KIDS! BAD FOR KIDS! BAD FOR KIDS! BAD FOR KIDS!

totowhoa

Banned
:lol So many false claims are going to be called on this. My eyes started going bad at that age :p That said, I was in gamestop yesterday perusing their buy 2 get 1 sell and almost pre-ordered the DS. Decided to wait another two weeks or so and re-balance my budget before I do that, though. Can't wait to finally have it in stone, though.

Bizzyb

Banned
Wildstar75 said:
After Nintendo won E3 with the 3DS this year. I thought this thing would sell gangbusters. Ill still probably buy one, but this thing could be the next virtual boy. I bought that too ;) I was watching CNN yesterday and the news ticker had Nintendo warns next game system not for kids under six. Interesting that this was timed with the preorder opening. This is going to blow up in the media. Especially, when the first few kids damage their eyes and the lawsuits start, both against nintendo, and potentially the owner of the 3DS. Also, DS is very popular with many of my younger nephews. Many parents with even one kid under six wouldnt dare buy one for their older kid. Basically Nintendos market cap for these things is already much less than DS.

So basically the 3DS will bomb b/c 4 and 5 yr olds can't play it in 3D mode....really?

Xater said:
Probably some kind of port....

I'm actually hoping it's Rayman 3. And history is pointing to that. But I'm also hoping Ubisoft will go the extra mile and bundle it with unchanged ports of Rayman DS and Rayman DSiWare which wouldn't be difficult at all and would make it a trilogy pack.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
ShockingAlberto said:
It kind of would, because it would be pushing the 3DS in to the next financial year, which would throw off financial forecasts like whoa.
Not really if they plan to sell those 4 million (?) consoles just in japan and the us.

swerve

Wildstar75 said:
I was watching CNN yesterday and the news ticker had Nintendo warns next game system not for kids under six.

Yesterday, being the past, meaning that when Nintendo announce all the details in three weeks time, this warning has become standard knowledge, meaning the press can focus on the exciting new stuff and the little blip of negativity gets left behind.

Much better to have any 'negatives' out in the open pre-launch. Not that this is a 3DS specific negative anyway.

Wildstar75 said:
Interesting that this was timed with the preorder opening.

It was timed with the announcement of an event in Japan at which Nintendo will not be allowing kids under 7 to play on 3DS.

Then reported by andriasang/gaf, then reported on kotaku, then reported everywhere. The usual flow of information, really :)

Dalthien

ShockingAlberto said:
It kind of would, because it would be pushing the 3DS in to the next financial year, which would throw off financial forecasts like whoa.
Not necessarily.

First off, they could just be shifting their expected Euro units to North America and Japan, and yet still keeping similar fiscal-year numbers.

But also, doesn't shipping by boat from China usually take a couple weeks? So they could still be shipping the Euro units and launch software within the current fiscal year, even though they wouldn't actually be going on sale at retail until April 7. But the sales would still be booked as income for the current fiscal year.

Wildstar75 said:
This is going to blow up in the media. Especially, when the first few kids damage their eyes and the lawsuits start, both against nintendo, and potentially the owner of the 3DS.
It doesn't work that way - the 3DS won't damage anyone's eyes directly. It's not like a kid uses a 3DS for an hour and comes home with bleeding eyesockets :) What 3D can do is harm the development of eyesight over the years - if a 3 year old kid is given a 3DS and the 3D mode not ever disabled, then by the time the kid is 6 he may have problems focusing and seeing in 3D. So this "blowup" won't happen for at least a couple years. And as Nintendo has been making a big deal about this issue themselves, and put in a setting in the device to password-protect 3D specifically for this situation, it won't be a "blowup" but a few people condemned for being bad parents.

Dalthien said:
Not necessarily.

First off, they could just be shifting their expected Euro units to North America and Japan, and yet still keeping similar fiscal-year numbers.
Nintendo of Europe doesn't care if more units are sold in North America and Japan, they still need to make the profits they estimated to keep their stock values up. And unlike Sony, Nintendo never goes by "shipped" numbers, only actual sales to the consumer.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Dreamwriter said:
Nintendo of Europe doesn't care if more units are sold in North America and Japan, they still need to make the profits they estimated to keep their stock values up. And unlike Sony, Nintendo never goes by "shipped" numbers, only actual sales to the consumer.
NCS decides for everything. Nintendo gave a 4 million figure for the FY. Nintendo's and Investors' main concern is the target to be achieved. They don't care if they ship to 1, 2 or 3 territories these 4 million.

Billychu said:
Password protecting? Isn't it just a physical switch that changes the distance between the screens?
Normally yes, but Nintendo put the ability to disable 3D entirely into the same settings that also don't allow the running of games beyond a set ESRB/age rating. Once those restrictions are turned on, you need a password to bypass them.

markatisu

The warning won't do a thing for sales, its merely to avoid lawsuits. It will blow up about as much as the Wiimotes through the TV

A majority of DS owners are going to be aged higher than those at risk and even moreso the first time buyers.

Nintendo's biggest sales happen during holidays, by the time the important ones role around the 3DS will be out a while and parents will see its no big deal for most of their kids.

It's not like parents are going to not buy their kids 3DSes if they ask

You can't play GTA if you're under 18, how well do you think that is parentally enforced?

Billychu said:
Password protecting? Isn't it just a physical switch that changes the distance between the screens?
Not quite. It's a physical switch, but it's a software-based control - it adjusts the virtual distance between the two cameras in 3D games.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think whether that issue 'blows up' or not will be a function of how many reviews or previews do or don't raise comfort issues on the part of the (p)reviewer.

Games come with health warnings all the time, but no one cares about them because they're seen as an issue for a minor few. This will be the same unless media feedback on the device flags issues in way that makes people perceive a more general issue or risk.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Dreamwriter said:
That's a very good point, the average gamer is 35 years old, the "under 6" crowd is a very small portion of the gaming audience.
Where did you get this number?

I was off by a year :)

Industry Facts by the ESA

• U.S. computer and video game software sales generated $10.5 billion in 2009.
  • Sixty-seven percent of American households play computer or video games.
  • The average game player is 34 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.
  • The average age of the most frequent game purchaser is 40 years old.
  • Forty percent of all game players are women. In fact, women over the age of 18 represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (33 percent) than boys age 17 or younger (20 percent).
  • In 2010, 26 percent of Americans over the age of 50 play video games, an increase from nine percent in 1999.
  • Forty-two percent of heads of households play games on a wireless device, such as a cell phone or PDA, up from 20 percent in 2002.
  • Eighty-two percent of all games sold in 2009 were rated "E" for Everyone, "T" for Teen, or "E10+" for Everyone 10+. For more information on game ratings, please see www.esrb.org.
  • Parents who have children under 18 with a gaming console in the home are present when games are purchased or rented 93 percent of the time.
  • Sixty-four percent of parents believe games are a positive part of their children’s lives.

JayDubya said:
It seems really weird to preorder something when you have no idea how much it is going to cost.
Why?

You get in line for $50 down and you can pull that $50 out whenever.

Do...do you think they get to keep the money?

ShockingAlberto said:
Why?

You get in line for $50 down and you can pull that $50 out whenever.

Do...do you think they get to keep the money?

Some people--and I'm not saying JayDubya is one of them--still think that the money put down for a preorder does NOT get deducted from the actual cost of item. In other words, they think you pay to reserve it, then pay the full price when you pick it up.

I know way too many people with this mentality. :lol

Vyse The Legend said:
Some people--and I'm not saying JayDubya is one of them--still think that the money put down for a preorder does NOT get deducted from the actual cost of item. In other words, they think you pay to reserve it, then pay the full price when you pick it up.

I know way too many people still who think this way. :lol

What? Really? Wow.

cakefoo

JayDubya said:
It seems really weird to preorder something when you have no idea how much it is going to cost.
Yeah especially since with Nintendo consoles you're always able to just walk in and pick one up anytime.

Top Bottom