• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunonabi

The only annoying thing for me about the 3DS XL is that I've pretty much stopped playing 3DS stuff in anticipation for it lol. I've got loads of games I want to play but in my mind I'm like no I want to wait for the big screens now!

I'm in the same boat. I'm actually moving on the 19th so I'm hoping I can pick it up on the way to my new digs. It'll give me a whole week to catch up before classes start.

Destructoid has a review up. Has this been posted yet?

His comment about the grittiness of the touchscreen seems odd to me. It's not something exclusive to the XL. Every single DS (and 3DS) I've ever bought feels like that initially. After using the device for a few days the grittiness goes away.

IrishNinja

man i was so convinced id buy this at best buy ($5 in rewards i think? plus $10 from discover if i use their portal) but i kinda wanna wait & see who breaks the street date over here first now.

Social

I got tricked by GAME. They claimed they could not do a system transfer because I needed Wifi for that. Why didn't I realise you only need local Wifi. What a bunch of idiots there... That's why I never buy in stores... Oh well.

Pretty 3DS XL but the speakers are very bad

antonz

man i was so convinced id buy this at best buy ($5 in rewards i think? plus $10 from discover if i use their portal) but i kinda wanna wait & see who breaks the street date over here first now.

Best Buy still wont let me select pick up in store and I have 30 in certificates to use :/

Rich!

So the ghosting/blur in the GBA games is deliberate due to emulation accuracy? Why? Emulators can do the job perfectly right?

The interpolation they use is deliberate.

Its nessecary for transparency effects such as the f-zero and mario kart maps. It isnt true transparacy - the image is displayed for every other frame, creating the illusion. If Nintendo displayed these games in progressive scan, the effect would be broken...

HOWEVER

Remember the GB Player for the gamecube? That had an option for both display modes. Why Nintendo didnt do the same for the GBA ambassador emulator is not known. Probably laziness.

Rich!

I got tricked by GAME. They claimed they could not do a system transfer because I needed Wifi for that. Why didn't I realise you only need local Wifi. What a bunch of idiots there... That's why I never buy in stores... Oh well.

You need to be connected to the internet on both consoles. You wouldnt have been able to do it in store without that.

Its one of the brightest, most vivid screens I have ever used.

Try it first before making criticisms, really.

I will give it a try when given the chance, and depending on MHP3rd making it to the west will buy one. But the screen looks remarkably less brighter than the Vita, iPhone, ... it will definitely be something I will notice in day to day usage.

Rich!

I will give it a try when given the chance, and depending on MHP3rd making it to the west will buy one. But the screen looks remarkably less brighter than the Vita, iPhone, ... it will definitely be something I will notice in day to day usage.

Using it with the lights off last night, the screen almost bloody blinded me.

Labadal

I have a question: Going to Gamestop to get a 3DS XL in a few minutes and was wondering if you need both the old and new systems. I'm not sure if I should bother going. They have a nice trade-in value, but I'd hate to lose my data.

NeoRausch

I have a question: Going to Gamestop to get a 3DS XL in a few minutes and was wondering if you need both the old and new systems. I'm not sure if I should bother going. They have a nice trade-in value, but I'd hate to lose my data.

Both systems are need to do the transfare.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

We get it the Vita screen is great.
Still games on the 3DS XL look great, having two such big screen with the top-screen being 3D is still kinda impressive. Having played some titles yesterday i realized, that the system has really awesome looking games.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
With the DS Lite and 3DS it does me no good to trade in something that is going to be sent back with the very same inherent problems. The best way to avoid the faulty hinge on the Lite and the scratching/smudging on the 3DS unfortunately is to simply never buy one.

Uhm. I had a DS Lite for about 2-3 years, never as much as a HINT of a crack on the hinge. This was a white one too. No, the thing that broke it, was me spilling water on the thing. :( (On christmas)

matt360

Picked up a white 3DS LL on Saturday for my wife's birthday. It's really slick. I never owned an original 3DS, but I've played one several times and always thought they were ugly as sin. The LL (or XL) looks and feels so much better. The speakers really do suck though. My wife is the easiest person to please, but even she noticed.

Zornica

Banned
Also, where could someone get that Samus figure? It's really nice

only in japan... only in japan :/ I am not even sure where it was bought exactly. I'm going to edit this post as soon as I know.

btw: anyone here who bought an xl and isn't interessted in club nintendo stars? I'd gladly take them :)

dc89

Fuck yeah problem solved :D

Took the two rubber circles from the 3DS cradle

zaZZK.jpg

Sticked them in so both touch the Select/Home/Start bar and voilá

3MuIR.jpg

Doesnt look too bad IMO

woL9X.jpg

No more cloth/napkin 3DS sandwich

edit: It also happens to align with the depth of the outer rim of the upper 3DS screen. Perfect

This is the best solution I've seen to date.

Might do this myself and say good bye to the cleaning cloth sandwich!!

Fuck!
I noticed this morning I have the rows of dots on the top screen.
Constant cleaning does nothing, they're seemingly permanent.
The unit is three days old and has been in my pocket briefly twice.

If these do lead to permanent scratching then of the five 3DS' in my family, including this one, this will mean four of those five have been affected by screen scratching issues.

This really in unbelievable.....

I caved and got one for myself. Silver. Mostly because the bigger touchscreen is a godsend for colors 3D and the 3D effect in games like Resident Evil is a lot better for me.

The system itself is more ergonomically, the buttons are a lot better, the touchscreen is more sensitive and the matte surface is amazing and comfortable to hold. It doesn't get as greasy as a Vita or 3DS.
I gotta say though, the screens redeeming factor is the size... and that's about it. The ppi is horrible. There's no other way to describe it. Also many I've shown the XL to have told me that the 3D was worse for them. Eye distance has a lot to do with how people see the screen.

The speakers on my unit are the exact same as with my other 3DS and that one of my GF. So my unit is completely identical in that regard... allthough I noticed that the new chassis tends to vibrate more with bass so that might cause some speakers on the XL to sound worse.

All in all I'm happy with the XL. It's definetly not an upgrade in all areas, but in many like buttons, ergonomy, battery and screen size it's a lot better than the original 3DS.

Fuck!
I noticed this morning I have the rows of dots on the top screen.
Constant cleaning does nothing, they're seemingly permanent.
The unit is three days old and has been in my pocket briefly twice.

If these do lead to permanent scratching then of the five 3DS' in my family, including this one, this will mean four of those five have been affected by screen scratching issues.

This really in unbelievable.....

It's inexcusable. Nintendo really should be held liable for such horrible design flaws. So many units literally self destroying themselves with normal use is just pathethic. It's a shame that Nintendo was too cheap to employ two widescreens. This would've solved the whole problem.

Robin64

Ugh. Just watching "Movie from Final Fantasy XIII" in Theatrhythm at full volume makes the speakers crackle. Awful things..

MYE

This low quality speaker issue is wierd. I just cranked my regular 3DS volume to the max and I'd say the sound is pretty damn solid on this thing. No crackling, no vibrations or distortions.

Wierd thing to fuck up on a revision.

Edit:

Yup I'm sticking with my original whitey

Ugh. Just watching "Movie from Final Fantasy XIII" in Theatrhythm at full volume makes the speakers crackle. Awful things..
Switch to stereo. Still bad but at least the crackling goes away. Too bad because I really liked the positional audio in the OG 3DS.

But I'm playing the thing with headphones on like 90 % of the time - will probably make that 100% now :).

As for the scratching it didn't happen to me (yet) but I got a screen protector for the touchscreen so I put the one for the top screen on just in case. I didn't like it on the OG 3DS because it somehow made the 3D worse but it works very well with the XL.

I used "Savvies Displayschutzfolie Crystal-Clear passgenau für Nintendo 3DS XL".

wait so now scratch issues seriously start popping up all over the place on the brand new 3DS XL's already?

Even though they HAVE put those rubber bumpers there to prevent this exact same issue?

Did they just put them there without actually TESTING to see if it even works or what?

Sometimes i wonder about the QC on these things... same as the speakers, i read they "hoped to approach a similar quality to the regular 3DS speakers" but how about actually fucking TESTING them to see if it's acceptable or not?

Or maybe this is what they DO label "acceptable" and it's just not for some consumers?

confused to say the least

Switch to stereo. Still bad but at least the crackling goes away. Too bad because I really liked the positional audio in the OG 3DS.

But I'm playing the thing with headphones on like 90 % of the time - will probably make that 100% now :).

As for the scratching it didn't happen to me (yet) but I got a screen protector for the touchscreen so I put the one for the top screen on just in case. I didn't like it on the OG 3DS because it somehow made the 3D worse but it works very well with the XL.

I used "Savvies Displayschutzfolie Crystal-Clear passgenau für Nintendo 3DS XL".

Actually saw this one on Amazon.de now, so you can recommend it? Unless other brands start showing up soon i will order that one then hmm

Mistle

speakers don't bother me as i mainly play with headphones, but if the screen scratching is still evident (even if not as common), then i'm lost for words

Picked up a white 3DS LL on Saturday for my wife's birthday. It's really slick. I never owned an original 3DS, but I've played one several times and always thought they were ugly as sin. The LL (or XL) looks and feels so much better. The speakers really do suck though. My wife is the easiest person to please, but even she noticed.

I am jealous

I really want a pure black model

My second choice would of been pure white

then blue

Id assume the screen scratching like the original 3ds represents maybe 5 percent? if that. So I wouldn't worry. The sound quality is news to me as all the videos Ive heard and reviews ive read said its exactly the same.

Either way I want it

You need an internet connection to Nintendos servers. Local Wifi is just for the transfer, the content and transfer is verified with Nintendo though. So no, you can't transfer if you have no internet access.

meppi

I guess I must be one of the lucky ones.
Don't have any sound issues, even though the volume is quite loud and actually makes my system vibrate slightly when turned all the way up.

And no issues with the upper screen getting scratched.

Don't even see how that's a possibility actually as there are 2 rubber feet on the top lid and you can clearly see when looking through the slid at the side when the system is closed that the top screen can't touch the bottom part at all.

Perhaps the people who are having problems are using a rather thick screen protector on the top screen? :-/

Dragon quest creators?

Haven't you heard? Yuji Horii was so disgusted with how DQ10 turned out that he vowed never work on another game and instead has set up a company that creates his personal brand of screen protectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom