• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragon quest creators?
Actually I was referring to this:

experimental-guntank-hori.jpg

For tank nerds

meppi

so if i wana sell my original for this xl version, is there any deactivating stuff i need to do like on the psp ps3 before selling it?
The final step in the transer of data from one system to the next automatically deletes your data from the old 3DS, so you should be fine just doing the transfer and selling your old system.

Hobohodo

God every time I come in this thread I get paranoid, run to my XL and check the Screens/Home buttons/Speakers. It's all fine for me though, seriously have had no issues what so ever.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Doing my transfer now - I thought people were joking about the pikmin :)

Initial impressions are that the unit is a much more cheaply produced one (not complaining), it feels like cheap plastic rather than the more expensive feel to the original. My top screen is quite yellow when you sit it next to the 3DS but hopefully won't be so noticeable in use. Screen is massively low res though. When I spent some time with mario kart I didn't really notice, but the system menus etc are really bad and pixelly.

Fuck yeah problem solved :D

Took the two rubber circles from the 3DS cradle

zaZZK.jpg

Sticked them in so both touch the Select/Home/Start bar and voilá

3MuIR.jpg

Doesnt look too bad IMO

woL9X.jpg

No more cloth/napkin 3DS sandwich

edit: It also happens to align with the depth of the outer rim of the upper 3DS screen. Perfect

Yeah, did that a while back but i put the rubber things on the bottom instead.

Bumhead

Banned
God every time I come in this thread I get paranoid, run to my XL and check the Screens/Home buttons/Speakers. It's all fine for me though, seriously have had no issues what so ever.

Between 5PM Friday and 10:35PM Saturday my 3DS XL was absolutely perfect. I was in love with it. Then out of nowhere an entire vertical line of pixels died and now I have a huge black line down the top screen.

I'm sure yours will be fine and I'm not trying to scaremonger, but keep an eye on it!

To be fair this is the first time I've ever had an issue with a hardware purchase so maybe it's just my turn.

Robso

I'm not sure this can be answered without asking retailers but if you're not happy with the yellow tint some screens have, is it a valid reason for a return?

Rich!

Between 5PM Friday and 10:35PM Saturday my 3DS XL was absolutely perfect. I was in love with it. Then out of nowhere an entire vertical line of pixels died and now I have a huge black line down the top screen.

I'm sure yours will be fine and I'm not trying to scaremonger, but keep an eye on it!

To be fair this is the first time I've ever had an issue with a hardware purchase so maybe it's just my turn.

Im certain its a fault with one of the connecting ribbon cables. My DMG had this issue, and I fixed it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I'm not sure this can be answered without asking retailers but if you're not happy with the yellow tint some screens have, is it a valid reason for a return?

They all use a warmer screen. If you don't like it in pictures, don't bother buying one.

Personally unless it's a white screen it's unnoticeable.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
My Start/Select/Home buttons feel almost the same as my face buttons. They are clicky and there is definitely feedback.

Well that is odd because that's not the case with my system and not with the one with GiantBombs either as you can see in the video I posted, as Brad says "You can barely feel it depressing, I'm shocked" so if what your saying is true there must be a manufacturing fault or peoples perception of how the buttons feel are skewed maybe, I'll see if I can try a few more XL systems and see if the select/home/start buttons feel any different.

Nope. Some screens are warmer, some cooler. I prefer warmer to be honest

Thanks for clearing that up!

Games definitely look more impressive with that huge screen. Just raced a round on seaside route in Ridge Racer 3D, what a nice experience! :D

Now doing the system transfer and watching the pikmins literally carrying my data over.

lowrider007

For me personally where the XL has impressed me most is VC games over even 3DS games, they look stunning on this screen, especially GB games with the virtual frame, for the first time I really feel I don't need to use my old GB to have that authentic GB experience.

-GJ-

For me personally where the XL has impressed me most is VC games over even 3DS games, they look stunning on this screen, especially GB games with the virtual frame, for the first time I really feel I don't need to use my old GB to have that authentic GB experience.

Any VB games you recommend? Can you play the old GameBoy games in color btw? Like when you put a GB game in a GBC they get like 2 or 3 colors. I prefer that over black and white tbh.

lowrider007

Some VB games you recommend? Can you play the old GameBoy games in color btw? Like when you put a GB game in a GBC they get like 2 or 3 colors. I prefer that over black and white tbh.

With the original GB games you can play in either black and white or hold down the left and right shoulders and you get an option to change it to green like the original GB which is how I play.

Must have GB games imo are Kirby's Dream Land 1&2, Super Mario Land 1 & 2, Wario Land II and Wario Land : Super Mario Land 3, The Legend of Zelda : Link's Awakening DX.

MYE

I saw someone playing Yoshi's Island on a 3DS. Can someone explain how this is possible?

Edit:
The virtual console/eshop library is fucking horrible on the 3DS. What the fuck :/

Rich!

I saw someone playing Yoshi's Island on a 3DS. Can someone explain how this is possible?

Edit:
The virtual console/eshop library is fucking horrible on the 3DS. What the fuck :/

Ambassador games. I have 10 gba games on my 3DS XL.

Metroid Fusion
Zelda Minish Cap
Wario Land 4
Yoshis Island
Kirby amazing mirror
Fire emblem
Mario and DK
Wario Ware
F Zero.
Mario kart SC

FEELS GOOD MAN

-GJ-

With the original GB games you can play in either black and white or hold down the left and right shoulders and you get an option to change it to green like the original GB which is how I play.

Must have GB games imo are Kirby's Dream Land 1&2, Super Mario Land 1 & 2, Wario Land II and Wario Land : Super Mario Land 3, The Legend of Zelda : Link's Awakening DX.

Thanks! I'm not that into Kirby, but I'm going to check out the Mario/Wario games for sure. Already played Zelda on my previous 3DS, so I'm going to skip that one for now.

zeelman

I just googled embassador games... Why the fuck didnt they give me the option to BUY these games if I'm not an early 3DS owner? And why was 4Swords a limited release on the eshop?

I'm.... I dont....what?

Nintendo doesn't really get digital distribution.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I just googled embassador games... Why the fuck didnt they give me the option to BUY these games if I'm not an early 3DS owner? And why was 4Swords a limited release on the eshop?

I'm.... I dont....what?

They will be up eventually. Probably when they've got the GBA emulator working better.

syoaran

I'm.... I dont....what?

To boost sales. A fair few people went out to buy 3DS's in the launch window at the higher price just for the ambassador stuff and ditto with the 4 swords thing.

Nibel

I'm.... I dont....what?

It's our gift for being dumbasses who bought the thing for 250€; these are our games from Iwata!

ibtkIQPwvEkJsc.gif

Fredrik

Been reading through the thread and I don't get all the negativity. Sure, it's definitely not perfect, but it's so so much better than the "old" 3DS. I for one hasn't been this satisfied with a hardware revision since the GBASP. I totally love the matte look and feel. Some say it makes it look cheaper but personally I think it's the opposite.

nkOAs.jpg

d4Oba.jpg

nGl29.jpg

Bad pic, but DS games looks absolutely wonderful on this!
WtRWR.jpg

MicH

Sexy red pics, sexy blue pics.. Fuck I can't decide. Still mostly set on the red, but man if that blue isn't amazing as well. Nintendo did a great job with the choice of colors this time.

Mistle

If DS games no longer look washed out and blurry when stretched then I will be one happy man

Though native resolution mode seems to be pretty great regardless whether stretching looks bad

DarkWish

I said WOW. I decided to get blue as soon as that color was announced, but every new picture I see makes me happier and happier with that decision. Can't wait for it!

bitoriginal

If DS games no longer look washed out and blurry when stretched then I will be one happy man

Though native resolution mode seems to be pretty great regardless whether stretching looks bad

Sorry to burst your bubble guys but if you didn't like DS games on the 3DS then you wont like them on the XL. Noticeably blurry and stretched still. 1:1 mode however is perfectly playable now compared to the OG 3DS.

Sorry to burst your bubble guys but if you didn't like DS games on the 3DS then you wont like them on the XL. Noticeably blurry and stretched still. 1:1 mode however is perfectly playable now compared to the OG 3DS.

Well, yeah, it's the same amount of pixels and everything. It can't look better when stretched.

Pezking

So, is the general consensus that DS games are actually nice looking now upscaled?

No. Stretched DS games look pretty washed out. It's like hooking up a Gamecube to a SDTV with a RCA connector. Not terrible, but definitely not good as well.

But (and that's a very big "but"!): In 1:1 pixel mode, they look better than ever before. Very crisp and colorful.

If you want to play DS games on a big screen and picture quality is important to you, there's still no alternative to a DSi XL. But if you're o.k. with a standard DS size picture, the 3DS XL is pretty much perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom