• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replacing it won't fix that sound. The XL's speakers are shockingly bad.

Mine are exactly the same as on the original 3DS with an added vibration (resulting in a reduced bass quality) due to the new casing.

Seems like I might be the exception though as people in here make it sound like Nintendo accidentally used Wiimote speakers.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I got rid of my 3DS so I can't compare, but my XL speakers seems to be the same, as in not very loud but normal.

Fredrik

What color blue is the right shade of blue?

In your pics they seem deeper and more vibrant; elsewhere, lighter and washed out....

Examples:

2262fe0a.jpg

3be26e6d.jpg

ec041d05.jpg

So confused. I had red preordered (never had a red electronic). Saw red pics and switched to blue a week or so ago (I like blue in general, more than red). Saw red pics and unboxings (on the fence). Saw blue pics and unboxings (color varies wildly). Considering going back to red.

I just want a true color representation of blue :(
It depends on the white balance of the camera and if the photo is taken with flash or just sunlight or a lamp etc. The difference is minor anyway, but if you like the pics then I doubt that you'll be disapponited with the blue one, or the red one for that matter, I think it looks even better in real life. :)

What's so great about Mutant Mudds though?

Honestly, to the untrained and possibly ignorant eye it just looks like a second rate, generic retro 2D platformer... only judging by screenshots here of course, but i keep hearing it mentioned all over the place as one of if not the greatest downloadable game for 3DS hmm?

Mutant Mudds is great. Really solid platforming mechanics, good level design, high level of challenge, good use of the 3D effect. Screenshots/trailers don't tell you any of this.

Been reading through the thread and I don't get all the negativity. Sure, it's definitely not perfect, but it's so so much better than the "old" 3DS. I for one hasn't been this satisfied with a hardware revision since the GBASP. I totally love the matte look and feel. Some say it makes it look cheaper but personally I think it's the opposite.

nkOAs.jpg

d4Oba.jpg

nGl29.jpg

Bad pic, but DS games looks absolutely wonderful on this!
WtRWR.jpg

Blue purchase confirmed

Drago

Meh... I'm really not feeling the blue at all. The red is so much better imo, but I still don't really like the red.

I just hope silver is here by Christmas so they get that color out of the way. I need solid colors before I get one

Meh... I'm really not feeling the blue at all. The red is so much better imo, but I still don't really like the red.

I just hope silver is here by Christmas so they get that color out of the way. I need solid colors before I get one

from all the colors I've seen: White>>>>Blue>Silver>Red. As an NA user I've just had to come to accept we are going to get the shaft on color selections

Yeah man blue is color of sadness (or dat cool color I guess but w/e) trolol

Glass Joe

Random question for someone who's done a transfer... maybe you could answer.

Do your game stats (playtimes etc) transfer over too, or is that strictly tied to the unit it was played on?

Also, for anyone in the US, if you hear of any decent trade-in deals (regular 3DS to 3DS XL), please let us know! I'm on the fence and might bite for the right price. Ideally a place that will let me system transfer too but I guess since I'll likely buy a Wii U, decent in-store credit may suffice.

from all the colors I've seen: White>>>>Blue>Silver>Red. As an NA user I've just had to come to accept we are going to get the shaft on color selections

Then wait till christmas to buy one. If the past year is any indication for Nintendos plan with 3DS colors, you will get one by then.

I'm waiting for silver too. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Drago

I'm waiting for silver too. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
I'm not gonna get silver, lol

I was just saying I expect that to be the first new color they release and quickly, as it's already in every region other than NA. Probably Christmas as a new color to advertise.

I hope to see White in Q1 2013

I'm not gonna get silver, lol

I was just saying I expect that to be the first new color they release and quickly, as it's already in every region other than NA. Probably Christmas as a new color to advertise.

I hope to see White in Q1 2013

I sadly don't have the will power for a Q1 2013 release date for the white, thank you Nintendo for region locked systems!

Mistle

The blue is a little more aqua than those pictures. Not much though, just a little bit.

edit: I think the colors in this pic are the closest to the actual thing;

vc8Oe.jpg
I hope so, that's the best pic so far IMO. Love the colour and system design, such a step up from the original model.

Drago

I sadly don't have the will power for a Q1 2013 release date for the white, thank you Nintendo for region locked systems!
I have zero hype for this and I'm fine with my current 3DS so I have no trouble waiting.

Just need to avoid seeing one in real life... will be difficult :p

NeoRausch

Are the GBA Ambassador games not as dark anymore? A lot of the photos of them on the XL look brighter for some reason.

now that you say it.... maybe it's just the warmer tone one the screen that results in more vibrant colors. dunno, but you are right.

Oh wow, these look fucking incredible.

thank! very appreciated! if you have any photo request for the silver edition, let me know! ;)

i love to take shots of hardware.

Jarsonot

Just scheduled a repair with Nintendo for my OG 3DS (upper screen scratches).

They won't charge my card and ship me one first, I'll have to send it in and wait up to 10 business days.

I asked if I can swap colors in the event that they have to replace the entire system, but dude said no. Didn't press him too hard though. (didn't wanna scratch him too I guess)

Anyway, pretty simple process. Print out a shipping label, send it in, wait.

Think I'll put the cradle nubs on my refurb.

bitoriginal

This thing has turned Star Fox into my favourite 3DS game. Fighting in a 4 player battle against the computer on expert is SO GOOD.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'm not sure I'd have the willpower to wait until the end of the year just for a different colour. The screen size makes so much difference it's amazing. I kind of regret having bought the original 3DS as this is really how 3D should be experienced. But then my kids will get it as a hand me down so they won't mind.

Quick question, would adjusting the 3D slider affect the sweet spot as it physically moves the filter, or is it purely for strength? And does anyone else feel like they are pointing it slightly to the right rather than straight on to get a proper 3D effect?

Got a silver one yesterday. Looks way better in person. Feels great to hold and the pixelation isnt that bad. Damn that screen is big and luscious! Awesome system all in all. Finished Ocarina on it the same night. Bought Kid Icarus to go with it and I feel want to try out all my games again.

Drago

I'm not sure I'd have the willpower to wait until the end of the year just for a different colour. The screen size makes so much difference it's amazing. I kind of regret having bought the original 3DS as this is really how 3D should be experienced. But then my kids will get it as a hand me down so they won't mind.?

I'm not waiting until the end of the year, I'm waiting even longer probably :)

Color is really important to me for handhelds, and if I'm only being offered colors I really don't like (Red, Blue, and Silver when that comes out) then I'll wait. I can still play the games fine ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom