• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

goddamn, 52 had some of the best screenshots yet - thanks guys! even more hyped than i was.

from all the colors I've seen: White>>>>Blue

of course you'd say this

Yeah man blue is color of sadness (or dat cool color I guess but w/e) trolol

ILL MAKE YOU SAD you take that back!

please, please do. seriously.

I'll play all the flight sections of KIU again, it looks great (no thanks to the on foot sections.)

haha...can't argue with this.

Drago

of course you'd say this

The man speaks the truth

If Blue looked like this (TheCongressman1 image):

3ds-xl-blue.png

I'd be all over it, day 1. I need a solid color

IrishNinja

because it's true.

The man speaks the truth

1am, looks like the bad opinion crew was right on time

go buy apple devices for your boring colors! also drago no way, i think black interior looks way better than that, but to each their own. seriously, the last few pages have shown the superiority of blue to all the non-believers.

i was trying to be nice, ya'll dont wanna be seen agreeing with ken masters in public, is the thing. its okay for that jr member back there but drago you dont want that look man

I really wish this thing was not Region Locked. DAMN YOU NINTENDO!!!!
My mom is leaving in a few days to Europe and I would make her bring it to me if it wasn't :(
(Importing is always much cheaper here in Venezuela)

Drago

1am, looks like the bad opinion crew is right on time

go buy apple devices for your boring colors! also drago no way, i think black interior looks way better than that, but to each their own. seriously, the last few pages have shown the superiority of blue to all the non-believers.

i was trying to be nice, ya'll dont wanna be seen agreeing with ken masters in public, is the thing. its okay for that jr member back there but drago you dont want that look man
The Blue doesn't look bad in those White and Blue pictures I posted on the last page but the White just has such a clean and sophisticated look to it that I love. I don't particularly like half-and-half color mixes on electronics, and Black is boring for me. My OG 3DS is already Black, I want something new :x

And what's so bad about agreeing with Ken Masters? Also, the junior has been here longer than I have :p

IrishNinja

I don't particularly like half-and-half color mixes on electronics, and Black is boring for me. My OG 3DS is already Black, I want something new :x

see this i can understand - black & white are indeed boring, basic-ass colors, so im glad we agreed here, haha

i think the only reason im liking the mix personally is my DS lite was the cobalt blue (an admittedly better shade) and the black interior looked good with it, or at least it grew on me. maybe it's that familiarity, but yeah, i prefer it on the interior now! just...not on the shell, itd look like a giant beeper or something.

And what's so bad about agreeing with Ken Masters? Also, the junior has been here longer than I have :p

oh, im just giving ken shit as part of my gaf-hop duties. as for that jr...don't encourage him or he'll follow you home, trust me =O

Drago

Yeah, White is a bit boring and basic, but that doesn't mean it can't look good :p

I still have my Cobalt/Black DS lite, and I don't really like it all that much, which is probably why I'm not too fond of the blue color, heh. I had a Crimson/Black one a while back too and I liked that mix better. My launch White is still my favorite though, which is probably why I want the White XL. Shame that I don't have the white or the red anymore and am now stuck only with the blue one I don't like :/

I wish people would stop saying this.

It barely helps at all. Speakers are still shit regardless.
It helps with the crackling.

Random question for someone who's done a transfer... maybe you could answer.

Do your game stats (playtimes etc) transfer over too, or is that strictly tied to the unit it was played on?

Also, for anyone in the US, if you hear of any decent trade-in deals (regular 3DS to 3DS XL), please let us know! I'm on the fence and might bite for the right price. Ideally a place that will let me system transfer too but I guess since I'll likely buy a Wii U, decent in-store credit may suffice.
Stats transfer over.

Gunsmithx

oh, im just giving ken shit as part of my gaf-hop duties. as for that jr...don't encourage him or he'll follow you home, trust me =O

you invited me as I recall lol

Back to the color thing, I really wish there were more solid color options or heck, more options period, I'd love to have to choose between all four colors instead of being stuck with just 2.

Gunsmithx

should have said this in my last post but is there any reason we never seem to get as many color/special system here? Do they just not sell well? Always seems we are looking across the pond at the cool stuff.

IrishNinja

Back to the color thing, I really wish there were more solid color options or heck, more options period, I'd love to have to choose between all four colors instead of being stuck with just 2.

ive never really understood it either...you saw it with the vita too, they'll show a buncha options and not even trickle some of them out.
didnt miyamoto once say something like the options they had with N64 (clear, pastels) etc got some form of a negative/kiddy toy perception? i dont see why that'd stop them from dropping basic spectrum options, but maybe it factors in. there's always skins and case mods but i dont think many of you dig the aftermarket options like decalgirl, heh.

also my default assumption is NOA LOL

Gunsmithx

ive never really understood it either...you saw it with the vita too, they'll show a buncha options and not even trickle some of them out.
didnt miyamoto once say something like the options they had with N64 (clear, pastels) etc got some form of a negative/kiddy toy perception? i dont see why that'd stop them from dropping basic spectrum options, but maybe it factors in. there's always skins and case mods but i dont think many of you dig the aftermarket options like decalgirl, heh.

also my default assumption is NOA LOL

maybe but it feels that when it comes to something thats not kiddy(say smartphones) there seems to be at least basic color options, such as black and white, and others.

It's funny since the point was made that getting the right color for you was in fact more of an adult choice earlier in the thread that people would turn around and say it makes it more of a toy. That might come down to the colors they choose to try and market though, I could see how a naked/clear skin might seem more toy like for instance.

sakipon

didnt miyamoto once say something like the options they had with N64 (clear, pastels) etc got some form of a negative/kiddy toy perception?
Perhaps, but to this day they keep bringing out pink handhelds. Having that option hasn't stopped men from purchasing a system (in a different color). If they are worried of perceptions they can always make strange colors strictly limited runs.

tpax

Banned
Any advice where it would be best to order the white 3DS LL (with shipping to Germany)? The white one just got me, don't know why. Probably just my limbic system.

mandiller

Any advice where it would be best to order the white 3DS LL (with shipping to Germany)? The white one just got me, don't know why. Probably just my limbic system.

Play Asia perhaps? You do realise the system is region locked and will only play Japanese games, right?

orioto

Good Art™
So i may jump in today, but i'll try to stop myself from making that huge mistake. A simple question anyway. Would someone have the possibility to see my 3D art on it and let me know how it looks now on this 5 ppi screen ?

I was using my now broken 3ds to test the conversion...

Roo

Maybe this was already asked and answered and I know the box says it is 90% bigger
but do we know the height and width sizes for both screens?

IrishNinja

It's funny since the point was made that getting the right color for you was in fact more of an adult choice earlier in the thread that people would turn around and say it makes it more of a toy. That might come down to the colors they choose to try and market though, I could see how a naked/clear skin might seem more toy like for instance.

pretty good point - to your last sentence though, maybe that's circular logic. what if we started offering i/droid phones in a clear model? i doubt it'd fly off the shelves but having another option is always cool, and with such a massive userbase i bet it'd find a home.
ive just never really cared for the mature/kiddy dichotomy myself. default colors make sense from a marketing perspective, but like you, the lack of options is always confusing for me.

Perhaps, but to this day they keep bringing out pink handhelds. Having that option hasn't stopped men from purchasing a system (in a different color). If they are worried of perceptions they can always make strange colors strictly limited runs.

agreed 100%, and they were clearly doing that with the DS lite, i thought - i expected a more pastel blue when i went in for my cobalt.

I was using my now broken 3ds to test the conversion...

damn orioto, what'd you do? im quietly hoping these things'd survive at least one good drop.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So which pic shows the blue 3DS to its most accurate color? I've seen like four different shades of that thing :^/

If it's that, then I might buy one. Don't care about the speakers being terrible, because I thought the ones on the vanilla 3DS were kinda bad anyway. Headphones at all times.

I'd say that most closely represents what mine looks like

Random edit: I wish theyd bring back champagne gold for AV kit. My pioneer dv-505 DVD player looked so good back in the days

Robin64

Setting sound to Stereo rather than Surround does help with the crackling issue a bit, but don't take that to mean the speakers are decent. I had my normal 3DS on Surround the whole time and it sounded crystal.

And even with it set to Stereo, I still hear the odd crackle or pop. Yeah, these speakers are crap, absolutely garbage. At least headphones are still good sounding.

What's so great about Mutant Mudds though?

Honestly, to the untrained and possibly ignorant eye it just looks like a second rate, generic retro 2D platformer... only judging by screenshots here of course, but i keep hearing it mentioned all over the place as one of if not the greatest downloadable game for 3DS hmm?

Great, crystal-clear graphics, an excellent chiptune soundtrack, ridiculously good level design, honest-to-god old-school challenge that isn't based on gimmickry, spot-on controls, straightforward mechanics... take your pick. The game is so good in so many ways, it's just staggering. Mutant Mudds is one of the very best games on the eShop, and it is the best if you're into retro platformers.

Robso

Can anybody recommend Barrier Chief screen protectors?

Also do screen protectors need to be changed after a while?

Thanks.

Eusis

Can anybody recommend Barrier Chief screen protectors?

Also do screen protectors need to be changed after a while?

Thanks.
Dunno about barrier chief, but the logical idea behind screen protectors is that they take the blow so you can replace them and leave your screen fine without being stuck with a scratched up screen. So, yeah, unless you get something like Invisible Shield you'll want to change them eventually.

weredog

Neo Member
The screen on this revision is INCREDIBLE. It's giving all my games a whole new life! Kid Icarus is now almost too intense to play and Star Fox looks stunning.

Robso

Dunno about barrier chief, but the logical idea behind screen protectors is that they take the blow so you can replace them and leave your screen fine without being stuck with a scratched up screen. So, yeah, unless you get something like Invisible Shield you'll want to change them eventually.

Yeah.

How long have other people's lasted on 3DS'?

Lanbeast

Here are some Dragon Quest IX images.

Btw, is it hard to get through the game with less than 4 characters? The framerate is terrible when you have 4 guys running around.

That's strange...I played through it 1.5 times on a DSLite and I don't remember ever having any framerate issues. I had 4 party members from the time you can until the end of the game.

Chopper

What games are included in Game's XL deal? And does it come with the dock? I mighht bite on a blue this afternoon. I'm feeling flush.

BriBri

Sorry if this has been answered before but can anybody answer affirmatively whether my UK 3DS mains adapter will work with my Japanese 3DS LL when it arrives? Many thanks in advance.

So would you guys say it'd be best to import the Hori screen protectors from Japan?

I considered some from Amazon and eBay but it appears both are too small, really poor production it seems.

Do screen protectors need replacing often?

Thanks.

I would buy the from playasia.com ( Hori ). I also take 2 , but tbh...I never replaced one ever. Hori is awesome quality and you won't notice it being there ( I got one on my DSi and Vita and nobody ever noticed )

tpax

Banned
Play Asia perhaps? You do realise the system is region locked and will only play Japanese games, right?

I wasn't aware of that, thank you.
Damn, that white XL looks so much better that all the other colors. At least I got a deal on a silver one for 160,- EUR.

damnit i want the Hori ones, but Play-Asia shipping takes around 3-4 weeks to get to me most of the time so i can't/won't play any games on my XL until then fuck it, i am going with a different brand i guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom