• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Labadal

I was going to buy a new XL but the price with a trade in 3DS was ridicilous. What I want to ask is that if I import a unit from the UK, is it ok to use a Swedish AC adapter?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Welp, full transfer today, traded in my old 3DS to GAME for £100. Yum.

This big red baby is delicious so far. The 3D is amaaaaaaziiiiing.

dbWhi.jpg

dat yellow tint.

Is it really that bad?

Just noticed that the cradle/adapter combo hasn't even been released in Europe. August 24th apparently. Can't believe they are making people wait for that. Hopefully NA will get it on August 19th. :/

Robin64

Yes, tap the brightness button at the top of the home screen, set it to 5, turn energy saving off. Much better than the XL's default setting.

It's still a 'warm' screen, but this just makes the colours really pop when ingame.

Rootbeer

Banned
Here are amazon's listings for the Nintendo 3DS XL note that they are not yet for sale (except from some third parties)

I really hope they add them so I don't have to use gamestop.

Blue

Red

Rootbeer

Banned
amazon marketplace allows sellers other than amazon to sell on their site. They can charge whatever they want. Once (and if) amazon decides to carry the 3DS XL itself, it will be added at those links for a price much closer to $199, but who knows if they will sell it at MSRP or not.

Setting sound to Stereo rather than Surround does help with the crackling issue a bit, but don't take that to mean the speakers are decent. I had my normal 3DS on Surround the whole time and it sounded crystal.

And even with it set to Stereo, I still hear the odd crackle or pop. Yeah, these speakers are crap, absolutely garbage. At least headphones are still good sounding.

Hard to hear, that a lot of guys have the same issues with the sound. :(

That's Nintendo in 2012.

Rootbeer

Banned
Amazon don't sell Nintendo hardware directly, so prices and availability on there are screwed up.
You're right... I can't find Wii or DS carried by amazon themselves. That's weird because I thought the Wii I ordered a couple years ago was sold by amazon. I wonder what the deal is with that :/

*edit* okay I checked my old order from December of 2009... the Wii I bought was sold directly from amazon (not another seller). :( Why u hate Nintendo now, amazon?

ThankeeSai

Got my first go on one of these at my local Blockbuster earlier. Played some Mario Kart, loved it.

Quite simply, I need one of these. Now.

Sadly, all my pennies are being saved for the Wii U :'(

Maybe Christmas will be kind to me!

Santiako

Got my first go on one of these at my local Blockbuster earlier. Played some Mario Kart, loved it.

Quite simply, I need one of these. Now.

Sadly, all my pennies are being saved for the Wii U :'(

Maybe Christmas will be kind to me!

That's the issue, when you try this, you can't go back to the regular 3DS, it feels way too small.

Drago

That's the issue, when you try this, you can't go back to the regular 3DS, it feels way too small.
Yup.

I have to avoid this thing like the plague if I'm going to successfully wait for White. I'm fine with my current 3DS but once I try the XL out I don't think I'd be able to resist getting one in a color I'm not fond of :(

Robin64

Yes, going back to the regular 3DS feels weird. I was one of those that had previous said the 3DS size was perfect and it didn't need to be bigger, now it just feels like Gameboy Micro.

Double D

How long did it take for the US to see different colors released for past handhelds? You think we'll get some other options around Christmas? After seeing that Blue/White comparison I can't not get a white one.

ThankeeSai

Yep, the size difference is incredible, but the games still look as amazing as ever.

God dammit! 5 months is going to be a long wait.

Drago

How long did it take for the US to see different colors released for past handhelds? You think we'll get some other options around Christmas? After seeing that Blue/White comparison I can't not get a white one.
The only ones I know off hand in NA are

DSi: 5 months for White and Pink
3DS: 6 months for red then Pink/Zelda 2 months after

Hopefully White is the first new color they release :/

Reclaimer

Potentially dumb question: are the top and bottom color portions removeable? As in, you can possibly buy different faceplates for them later? If so... Spraypaint here I come.

Jarsonot

Welp, just mailed in my 3DS for screen repair. I'm hoping that not having it around will somehow make the wait for the XL easier. =)

They say it'll be back in 10 business days, so 2 weeks, max. That should put me pretty nicely close to launch day here. Maybe a couple of days with it to say my goodbyes, and BAM - huge screen time!

It's only yellow with power saving mode on and on a complete white backdrop (at least on my machine). I actually prefer the warmer LCD, makes the colours really pop.

I was disappointed when I first saw the home screen, but once I started playing Theatrhythm I was sold. The colors really pop in that game. Looks great.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
dbWhi.jpg

dat yellow tint.

Is it really that bad?

wow, I don't want to get you down but mine is nothing like that, have you got it on max brightness with power saving off?, I find that mine is nearly white with these settings.

Anyway, second day with my DS XL and I have to say it's one of my favourite handhelds thus far even over my vita, I love it, I wish had gotten the DSi XL back in the day now.

Rich!

Right. Detailed pros and cons after almost a week of owning the thing:

POSITIVES:

+ The screen is superb. Low resolution aside, it's brilliant. The colours are vibrant, the screen is very very bright (not quite OLED brightness, but really really impressive for an LCD), there is absolutely no ghosting to speak of, and there's practically no glare at all. Even playing in sunlight is enjoyable. Viewing angles are absolutely incredible - no loss of clarity, even at the most extreme angles. Put simply, it's without a doubt the best screen Nintendo have ever produced. Also, mine has no yellow tint at all. A bit warmer, but anyone saying it's ruining their enjoyment of it is quite clearly insane.

+ DS, GBA, GB and DSi Ware games look great, especially in 1:1 mode.

+ The 3D is more immersive. Sweet spot is the same.

+ The D-Pad is much, much improved and is great to use. Brilliant for VC games. Also, it's further away from the bottom end of the unit, so it's much easier to use without any hand cramping whatsoever.

+ The Circle Pad has a bit more tension to it. That's good.

+ The system looks sleek, and the finish is great. No more fucking fingerprints.

+ New Home/Start/Select buttons are good. Not perfect, but they do the job absolutely fine. If anything, they're a bit too sensitive - even a slight tap can register as a button press!

+ The 3D slider is much better, and the on/off detent is useful.

+ Shoulder buttons are firm and great to use.

+ It's comfy as hell to use.

+ Battery life is far improved.

NEGATIVES:

- The speakers are the worst in the entire DS line. They're shockingly bad. The latest iwata asks explains they're smaller speakers, required to keep the XL's form factor to a decent size. But they're shit. Really fucking shit. HUGE disappointment.

- The stylus is in a better place, but it feels cheap compared to the original 3DS' one.

- The screen scratching issue still isn't fixed. Seriously, it's fucking retarded.

VERDICT:

It's one of the most impressive Nintendo handhelds I've ever owned, and it's an essential upgrade to the original. It improves on the 3DS in almost every single way, and is without a doubt the best way to experience what the console can offer. A few little issues can't stop this from being a must-buy.

bitoriginal

With full brightness on, comparing both systems the XL screen is definitely warmer with more a yellowish hue. But then I traded my OG 3Ds, played some games on the XL and realised that I don't give a shit about a slightly warmer menu screen. Seriously, the XL is a necessary upgrade, its better in every way.

- The screen scratching issue still isn't fixed. Seriously, it's fucking retarded.

Eh, you can't really say that. People need to chill down about the screen scratching, because there is nothing that proves that the XL still has that problem. I'd be very surprised if it's not something that is caused during the manufacturing process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom