• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bit the bullet and got an XL (fuck you nintendo). Bitterness aside.

The screens are huge! Bigger than I expected for some reason. I like it a lot. Got the blue one. And mario Bros 2 because why not.

suikodan

I sent my XL to Nintendo for repair as it would turn itself off randomly and at one point, wouldn't get out of sleep mode at all.

To those who sent something and got it returned, were you able to keep your account and purchases? I have NSMB2 and the ambassador games on my account that I *just* transferred from my regular 3DS so I would be mad to lose that.

Any positive stories to cheer me up as I wait for it to return? ;)

I sent my XL to Nintendo for repair as it would turn itself off randomly and at one point, wouldn't get out of sleep mode at all.

To those who sent something and got it returned, were you able to keep your account and purchases? I have NSMB2 and the ambassador games on my account that I *just* transferred from my regular 3DS so I would be mad to lose that.

Any positive stories to cheer me up as I wait for it to return? ;)

Nintendo will transfer everything to whatever new/fixed 3DS they send you back.

Izayoi

Banned
I made the mistake of starting DoA with 3D off and now I can't go back because of the framerate difference. Game looks ace otherwise.

RussellXV

I've had the 3DS XL for about two weeks now, I think. I'm trying to take good care of it. Will the letters on the buttons and the text under the 3DS XL wear off after a while?

5 mintutes with the XL at NWS and I had to have it. Blue looked remarkably better than I expected in person so now I have one.

Ordered the cradle off Nintendo's online store, any recs for a soft case? I used the Executive case for the old 3DS and would love something similar?

Hope the Circle Pad Pro XL happens soon. I'm waiting to finish KH3D now because of it, and I still have Revelations and MGS3 in my backlog too. :/

Is it possible to clear your game log without reformatting and losing your Ambassador / eShop games? I want to get rid of the stuff I played on my OG 3DS and only have a log of my XL games played, but I don't want to format it and end up losing my Ambassador / eShop games.

JaseMath

I'm torn.

I want a new XL, but I would need to trade in my DSi XL. Is it worth the tradeoff for the fuzziness on DS games?
I've never seen a DSi XL, but coming from the standard DSi, the upscaling seems pretty good to me. I've yet to play a 3DS game - just been playing DQ IX and the fuzziness doesn't really bother me at all.

inner-G

Banned
Does it have any filtering or smoothing options like the Vita? (I know there is the scale vs 1:1 option.)

Also, it leaves black bars on the top screen right? It doesn't stretch to fit width-wise?

Necrovex

I'm torn.

I want a new XL, but I would need to trade in my DSi XL. Is it worth the tradeoff for the fuzziness on DS games?

I'm not a big fan of playing DS games on the 3DS XL. It still looks pretty weird. I played 999 on it, and I was forced to 1:1 it, since it looked like shit all stretched out on the 3DS XL screen.

Ein Bear

I'm torn.

Upscaling is awful, but 1:1 mode on the 3DSXL is about the same size as a regular DSi's screens anyway. DS games look really nice on it.

AwShucks

Guess I should leave this thread now. I decided on the normal 3DS as Fry's had it for $150 and having used both of them before I don't mind the normal 3DS. Screen is a fine size for me. Just probably so used to the DS that it being "small" doesn't affect me.

Korosenai

There's 5 Targets within about 20 miles of me, and I've been to 3 of them in the past week. All are stocked with a bunch of 3DS, 3DS XL, DSi, DSi XL, and all had a few Lites. I almost pulled the trigger on a hot pink DSi, but it would be such a waste of money. Love that color though.
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a cobalt blue ds lite. Ive never owned a ds lite, wanted a way to play my gameboy advance games, and for $76 I had to jump on it.

Mzo

DS games look better on the DSi XL than they do on the 3DS XL.

They don't look BAD on the 3DS XL, but it's up to you how crazy you want to get about owning multiple handheld consoles.

I want to get real crazy.

Drago

I remember getting the White DS lite about a month after release... it looked really nice. I ended up getting Red/Black and Blue/Black ones later on too (for reasons I do not know :p) and I'd probably rate the lite colors White>>Red/Black>>>>>>>>>>>Blue/Black

The Blue(cobalt)/Black DS lite is disgusting imo. The Blue 3DS XL is suuuuuuch an improvement I can't even believe it, lol. The blue shade seems extremely similar to the Cobalt 3DS exclusive to Japan which is my #1 favorite OG 3DS color (with Purple 2nd and White 3rd), which is probably why I like it so much.

Hell no. White was an awful color. Firstly because the borders don't disappear into the background when it's white, and secondly whether you cleaned it or not, white Lites turned yellow. Yuck. It also didn't help that the initial year or two of Lites had defective hinges.

Korosenai

You poor soul.

I've always thought it looked awful, especially so when compared to my Blue 3DS XL. Such a bad, lifeless shade of blue it was :(

It actually looks pretty good in person. I just wish more of the ds lite was blue.

I miss GBA games. Good purchase. My favorite DS Lite color was red-black. Or simply all black.

They had 1 red-black and 1 blue-black. I couldn't believe my eyes.

The Blue 3DS XL is suuuuuuch an improvement I can't even believe it, lol.

I couldn't agree more. It's very amazing in person.

I made a thread about it, but don't see it posting, so I'll post it here for anyone just now getting a go on the 3DS platform, due to the XL:

This coming Tuesday ONLY (9/4) Best Buy Deal of the Day: Kid Icarus Uprising $15.00 (new)

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320462&page=258

What an awesome deal. I already own the game, but I love it so much i'll probably buy it again just in case anything happens to the one I own now.

Well all, I'm sad to report that my blue XL has suddenly and randomly gone on the fritz. Both the face buttons and the touch screen act erratically and respond randomly or not at all. I can't even get my XL to stay on the main menu because it'll just launch games at random. Don't know how or why this happened, but I'm definitely bummed out. Has this happened to anyone else?

Anyway, I suppose I'll go buy a new XL, System Transfer to it, and return this defective one. Ugh.

One thing I've learned, with 3D on: Stay still. So very still. Some games aren't even playable in 3D because the effect can screw you up, like in Mario 3D Land or even Pilotwings.

Iacobellis

Hell no. White was an awful color. Firstly because the borders don't disappear into the background when it's white, and secondly whether you cleaned it or not, white Lites turned yellow. Yuck. It also didn't help that the initial year or two of Lites had defective hinges.

Had a white DS Lite about a month after the US launch, so that would be like June 2006. Hinge was not defective at all, my current 3DS has one that is worse.

DR2K

Banned
Got to try it out today. 3D area of effect is bigger, no weird distortions by changing angels, but screen was pure ass not sure if brightness was all the way up. NSMB2 was fun, but felt way too familiar.

Had a white DS Lite about a month after the US launch, so that would be like June 2006. Hinge was not defective at all, my current 3DS has one that is worse.

The DSi, DSi XL, 3DS, and 3DS XL all have a loose hinge by design. To avoid the problems with the initial run of Lites. I haven't bought a Lite in years, so I have no idea if they ever bothered to fix the tight-hinge/cracking issue.

I had lite since day 1 and never had an issue

Alex

I had lite since day 1 and never had an issue

Neither did I, partly because I babied the absolute hell out of it after learning what a wide spread issue it was. Like the 360 RROD, not everyone is going to get the issue, but it was def a big one. You seem em everywhere.

I believe it was corrected, though not completely with a later run and then pretty much completely with the DSi.

hwy_61

Banned
I also baby the shit out of all my gaming consoles/electronics. It makes me cringe every time I see someone slap their 3DS shut!

I baby my og 3DS so much that I haven't used it in months as a result. It's a real problem for me and one I hope is less pronounced with the seemingly more durable XL. Goddamn you glossy finish.

IrishNinja

yeah, im finally burning through my 3DS backlog now, so many games i stopped on (3D land, KIU, RE:R) that im loving on this screen.

Dilemma.

Very tempted to get a ds xl for the upcoming Pokemon white version 2, but I'm thinking it might be worth the extra money to get a 3ds Xl in case of any future games that I might want and are 3ds only.

I'm just skeptical because I early adopted a standard 3ds and had not alot to play until Mario came out which I found completely boring :( ended up selling it.

Or I could just use my ds lite that doesn't get used and stop spending money. Would love to compare Pokemon white on a ds lite and 3ds xl screen.

Have they changed the menu at all? I found the original to be a complete mess. Sorry for all the questions, demo units are non existent in Australian stores.

Note: I haven't read a thing about the new Mario yet.

OmegaZero

Thinking of trading in my 3DS for an 3DS XL, but have a few questions:
-Does it have any screen-scratching issues like the 3DS?
-How is the sound quality (speaker-wise)?
-How usable is the d-pad in comparison to the 3DS?
-Are the shoulder buttons more or less comfortable to use?

braves01

Banned
Thinking of trading in my 3DS for an 3DS XL, but have a few questions:
-Does it have an screen-scratching issues like the 3DS?
-How is the sound quality (speaker-wise)?
-How usable is the d-pad in comparison to the 3DS?
-Are the shoulder buttons more or less comfortable to use?

Some people claim to have the screen scratching issue, I haven't had an issue with it yet (nor did I have a problem with my og). Speakers are on the low end, but seem plenty loud through earbuds. D-pad is fantastic and shoulder buttons are more comfortable too. They seem quite a bit wider than the really narrow originals. I did the trade in deal and am totally happy with it. Bigger screen and better ergonomics (plus a great dpad) outweigh the negatives in my book.

OmegaZero

Some people claim to have the screen scratching issue, I haven't had an issue with it yet (nor did I have a problem with my og). Speakers are on the low end, but seem plenty loud through earbuds. D-pad is fantastic and shoulder buttons are more comfortable too. They seem quite a bit wider than the really narrow originals. I did the trade in deal and am totally happy with it. Bigger screen and better ergonomics (plus a great dpad) outweigh the negatives in my book.

Sounds pretty good.
Better ergonomics make it a must-have if true. I'd be able to make a easier choice if I could find a demo unit or someone with one. :/

How's the build-quality by the way? My Aqua Blue squeaks like a mouse when I press a button, the touchscreen, or certain areas on the lower half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom