• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsumineko

Above all else, the most besterest reason for upgrading to an XL is because your hands no longer cramp up and hurt after a little bit of playing 3DS.

Memles

After collecting a bunch of cheap games over the summer (Pilotwings, Steel Diver, Spirit Camera), and with Best Buy's B2G1 deal starting earlier today, I decided to treat myself to a Blue XL this afternoon.

I've only ever tinkered around with demo 3DS units at Target and Best Buy up to this point, so this is really my first experience with the system. Accordingly, I can't really draw comparisons between what games might have looked like or acted like on the original system.

I say "acted" like because I'm definitely having some trouble adjusting to the impact of 3D on movement while playing the games. I've played three games I picked up today—Mario Land, Ocarina, Mario Kart—so far, and I've found varying experiences with how the 3D actually functions. Mario Land's is the most stable, while Mario Kart seems stable until you realize that playing the game means naturally moving a fair deal, and then things get wonky.

Ocarina, meanwhile, seems like a complete waste. It's great for cinematics—where you can angle it into the sweet spot and enjoy from there—but I got to the point in the Deku Tree that turning it on was just a distraction. The game is beautiful on the big screen, and the depth effect really works for some cutscenes (like Link in the foreground as he speaks to the Deku Tree), but the difference between "Attractive 3D" and "Playable 3D" became apparent to me.

I'm enjoying the games to this point, natural handheld cramping aside (which is a sign of how rarely I've touched my old DS Lite that's kicking around somewhere), but I definitely find the 3D something that varies per title and that needs to be managed more than I was perhaps hoping.

antonz

Fuck it. I'm going for it. What's Gamestop's policy on system transfer?

Basically you pay full price for the XL then you bring it home with the 3DS. Do your transfer then bring the 3DS in and they will refund you the money for the 3DS. I paid with a credit card and they still gave me cash back

JazBur

Neo Member
I popped into my local PC World and Currys today and had a play with their demo 3DS XLs. The volume on both units sounded even quieter than mine, so I'm happy enough with mine now.

Also since I can't use earphone/buds with my tinnitus, I have started plugging my X-mi mini 2 capsule speaker in and the music sounds much more meaty through that.

Bought a red one (to complement my blue DSi XL).

Got the $40 coupon for purchase at k-mart. Manager even let me use it immediately for NSMB 2. Now for the whole system transfer mess.

Also, which place has the best trade-in deal for the 3DS right now? Deciding between selling/trading it and giving it to my nephew. What games can a 4 year old play on it?

mmxzero

NoA wouldn't release a black and white 3dsxl is the US already for the October pokemon BW2 launch, would they? I'm thinking about this upgrade too much because of the kmart deal. I'm guessing kmart could have another sale/coupon this fall though perhaps not as good as the current promotion.

The blue demo unit I saw looked good and red looks fine as well from the pics in here, but I'd rather have black. Decisions, decisions...

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I bought a 3DS XL today, I am part of the 3DS club :)

Impressions
-Damn the screen is huge
-I love the red/black design
-Damn the screen is HUGE

I bought Mario Kart 7 on it, and I am looking to buy Dead or Alive Dimensions, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, and Resident Evil: Revelations.

Well did some damage this weekend. Got RE:revelations for $20 and then couldn't resist Theatrhythm for $10 after getting rid of couple old games at GS. Theatrhythm is wonderful and loads of fun.

Impressions
-Damn the screen is huge
-Damn the screen is HUGE

I bought Mario Kart 7 on it, and I am looking to buy Dead or Alive Dimensions, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, and Resident Evil: Revelations.
You like strategy games, do yourself a favour and buy GR:Shadow Wars.

Mileena

Banned

Impressions
-Damn the screen is huge
-Damn the screen is HUGE

Theatrhythm and 3D Land

ghibli99

I've been playing Shantae: Risky's Revenge on this thing in 1:1 mode for the past couple of days. I've become a big believer in the circle pad. After playing DKCR and Super Meat Boy with analog sticks, I feel like this has become my preferred way to play most games vs. a d-pad. Never thought I'd ever say that!

kunonabi

I've been playing Shantae: Risky's Revenge on this thing in 1:1 mode for the past couple of days. I've become a big believer in the circle pad. After playing DKCR and Super Meat Boy with analog sticks, I feel like this has become my preferred way to play most games vs. a d-pad. Never thought I'd ever say that!

I'm still annoyed they replaced the circle pads on the wii u gamepad for analog sticks.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So, I'm off to buy Revelaitons, is it really good? Is the single player campaign lenghty enough to justify the price?

I heard the multiplayer is enough to justify the price. Level up system, totally online and not local play.

The single player is an 8-10 hour campaign w/ multiple difficulties and unlockables, the multiplayer Raid Mode is pretty deep with even more unlockable weapons and gear, along with higher difficulties to run.

It has new game+ for running higher difficulties.

It is generally a console quality package.

i didnt know that game has multi. is it horde mode only? or also vs?

It's co-op, as opposed to the horde arenas of Mercenaries, 1-2 players run an altered version of a stage without cut scenes or story breaks, with new enemy placements, combo system, the ability to use new characters and weapons, and some other stuff. I think there's something like 20+ raid stages to unlock, all have 3 difficulties to unlock as you beat them once.

Impressions
-Damn the screen is huge
-Damn the screen is HUGE

Dead or Alive Is pretty amazing on 3DS, as is Resident Evil Revelations. You also have to get Super Mario 3D Land. I'm not sold on Theatrhythm - so that title can wait for a decent discount...

I'm very satisfied now that I got a defect-free XL (not counting the lousy speakers). So much so that I sold my Vita for 260 bucks with a 32 gig card. It hurts to take that loss on the memory card, but I simply never use it anymore other than a game here and there of Lumines. It was nice to have originally because I found the OG 3DS to be so bad, but now the XL is pretty much the only handheld I need along with my iPhone. My 3 Vita game purchases were all digital, so they'll still be there in the future if I ever revisit that handheld. Right now I have more than enough games between the ever expanding 3DS library and the huge library of DS games that I bought but never got around to (3 Layton games! TWEWY, Ghost Trick, Henry Hatsworth, Super Mario 64 now playable due to the slider etc). The only thing I'm missing now is a good case, which hopefully will get rectified soon. Please no one recommend the purse. Not interested. =)

The moral of the story - Get it right the first time, Nintendo!

XPE

and the huge library of DS games that I bought but never got around to (3 Layton games! TWEWY, Ghost Trick, Henry Hatsworth, Super Mario 64 now playable due to the slider etc). The only thing I'm missing now is a good case, which hopefully will get rectified soon. Please no one recommend the purse. Not interested. =)

No the only thing you are missing is Pheonix wright =P

Boney

Banned
So, I'm off to buy Revelaitons, is it really good? Is the single player campaign lenghty enough to justify the price?

It's decent... it's definately a heft package with high production values, but idk can't say I care that much for it.

Dang, my list of "must buy" game grows ever larger. Any upcoming deals for these games?

;)
Ace Combat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Ac3bf39w0

Coop, really fun and MUCH better than any Mercenaries mode.

Even if 5 and Mercs tried to ruin Mercenaries mode as much as possible it's still way better than the grindy lootwhore aspect of raid mode.

wowzors

So picked up NSMB 2, Super Mario 3D land, Kingdom Hearts DDD CE, Theatrythm, and The World Ends With you.

NSMB 2 is fun and just like the first so far.

Theatrythm really surprised me and I really enjoyed it so far.

The world ends with you is so difficult to control moving neku with the pen, it seems it usually doesnt dash or respond. Guess I have to play it more.

Have not touched SM3D or KH yet. Played the Resident Evil demo and it was awesome, but ill wait for a sale.

Mercutio

Spent the weekend playing RE:R.

Favorite Resident Evil since the RE1 remake on GC. Yes, I like it better than 4; due in no small part to it actually being scary.

SO GOOD. I was warned I'd hate the characters, but I'm like 8 hours in, and don't REALLY hate anyone yet.

It's decent... it's definately a heft package with high production values, but idk can't say I care that much for it.

Ace Combat!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Ac3bf39w0

Ace Combat is fantastic on the 3DS/XL (a remake of Ace Combat 2, so of course it's great ^_^ ), AC:AHL also has some awesome new mechanics incorporated for dogfighting, from the latest console outing.

Resident Evil Revelations, is the best series entry since RE2 (story wise). RE is my all time favorite series and I've completed every single mainline entry 0,1,2,3,4,5,CV,ReMake and Revelations...dating all the way back to '96 on the original PS1, Dreamcast, Cube, etc. - its a great mainline entry and has a better story and is more original (PSX era) survival horror in feel than 4, 5 and even Code Veronica.

looks great on the XL too:

Took these photos of the game running on my XL

19a36266bc7b1723358c51806eedde58.jpg

c6353e297803b6113231b3f6e5d76f92.jpg

Mercutio

RE:R is an incredibly impressive game in motion. There are weird little hitches when it's loading certain areas, but otherwise the frame-rate is incredibly solid for what it is displaying; I'd say that it's considerably better looking than RE4 which always seemed a touch flat to me.

Alex

RE:R pretty much looks like a scaled back RE4, but with better shaders. The overall effect works very well for the hardware, though.

Got an XL yesterday from the Kmart deal. I have to say I was initially unimpressed with the 3DS and waited for some games and a redesign and the XL fit the bill. It's an amazing system and SML3D is incredible. The only downside are the speakers in this thing- they are bad.

inner-G

Banned
Bit the bullet and traded my DSi XL in towards one.

Like it so far. Speakers are soo bad.

Games look nice. DS games look better full screen than I thought they would.

Feels much better in the hands.

I've noticed people saying that the XL feels good. My hands cramp and feel weird really quickly while using my OG 3DS...especially when using the dpad.

My question:
If you have had similar experiences with the OG 3DS, did the XL solve the problem?

Bgamer90

Banned
I've noticed people saying that the XL feels good. My hands cramp and feel weird really quickly while using my OG 3DS...especially when using the dpad.

My question:
If you have had similar experiences with the OG 3DS, did the XL solve the problem?

For the most part, yep.

plc268

For the most part, yep.

Yep, dpad usage is definitely improved, but hand cramps still occur for me, as the system is just too damn slim for any decent ergonomics.

I know it's a weird complaint, but I just miss the days of the bulkier gameboys and the og gba. Those devices allowed you to put it in the palm of your hand and grip it. Seriously, go take an GBC or the original gba. I could play those for hours without a single hand cramp. The 3ds xl, while better than the og 3ds, is still not ergonomic enough.

I'm eagerly awaiting for grips to show up for the xl.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Yep, dpad usage is definitely improved, but hand cramps still occur for me, as the system is just too damn slim for any decent ergonomics.

I know it's a weird complaint, but I just miss the days of the bulkier gameboys and the og gba. Those devices allowed you to put it in the palm of your hand and grip it. Seriously, go take an GBC or the original gba. I could play those for hours without a single hand cramp. The 3ds xl, while better than the og 3ds, is still not ergonomic enough.

I'm eagerly awaiting for grips to show up for the xl.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I kept going back and fort from my DSIXL and the 3DSXL and have concluded that the DSIXL's thickness made the console easier to grip and hold. I have got used to the 3DSXL however.

Mistle

While I think the XL blows the original model out of the water, the one thing I did prefer in the original model was how comfortable it was to hold.

It's weird, people would constantly complain about hand cramps on the og model and how XL has fixed it, but to me, it's almost the reverse situation.
Even the circle pad feels a bit better on the og model. It seems a bit bigger? My thumb doesn't slide off as easy.

Dang, my list of "must buy" game grows ever larger. Any upcoming deals for these games?

;)
A quick look at gamestracker revealed a $20 price tag from eStarland (don't know them though living in Europe). This one might vanish from shelves so I dunno if you can get it much cheaper. Definitely worth it for that price imo. Gfx are quite horrible but gameplay more than makes up for it.

Alex

While I think the XL blows the original model out of the water, the one thing I did prefer in the original model was how comfortable it was to hold.

It's weird, people would constantly complain about hand cramps on the og model and how XL has fixed it, but to me, it's almost the reverse situation.
Even the circle pad feels a bit better on the og model. It seems a bit bigger? My thumb doesn't slide off as easy.

Wow, I cannot disagree more here, haha, that's like my favorite part of the new one, I can actually hold it now without cramping up or with it's knife edges digging into my palms.

Really uncomfortable handheld, for my personal tastes. The Xl really eliminates that for me.

Mileena

Banned

My question:
Yep. OG 3DS gave me cramps after 20 minutes on any game while the XL and Vita are fine after hours of use. My hands are just too large for the original, it wasn't made with adults in mind.

Tempted with Kmart's $40 coupon offer. I'd be all over it if there were more colors.

Should I just get the blue one? It's not bad. But I may regret later on.

What a difficult decision. :(

NeoRausch

Has nintendo dropped ANY word on CPP? I can't play KI without it. I'm stealing the OG 3DS from my wife every time i want to play it.

FSLink

Banned
Yep. OG 3DS gave me cramps after 20 minutes on any game while the XL and Vita are fine after hours of use. My hands are just too large for the original, it wasn't made with adults in mind.

I have tiny hands and I got cramps on the OG 3DS. :/ Those squared off corners, awful especially if I tried to play Kid Icarus without the stand, or Ocarina of Time 3D for long periods of time lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom