• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Returned 3ds XL with the sharp bottom edge to kmart, sent Revelations back to gamefly after 3.5 hours of playtime, debating if i want to get another 3ds XL since KMART is offering the $40 credit that will hopefully have proper edges.

I'm surprised i didn't really like Revelations considering i bought the system to play it, probably a combo of the screen being washed out for such a dark game, getting used to holding a 3ds XL that requires use of the top buttons, and it sometimes small and disjointed. I did order Kid Icarus today from Best Buy's daily sale, so i have motivation to rebuy the system.

Decided to get another 3DS XL and see if it didn't have a sharp edge. Got home and noticed the box was already opened. Edge was sharp. I presume i just bought the same 3ds XL that i returned yesterday. EDIT: Yep , has my username and birthday :p

O__________________O

womp

For $5 you can get this at a Five Below Store:

It's for a DS XL but the 3DS XL fits in it just fine.

Yep...I have a few of them too. I've been preaching about this Five Below deal here and there throughout the thread, but it is a shame the stores aren't more widespread and people are paying triple the cost on Amazon etc. They are wonderful cases for the DSi XL and 3DS XL, especially for $5. A steal.

Curufinwe

Decided to get another 3DS XL and see if it didn't have a sharp edge. Got home and noticed the box was already opened. Edge was sharp. I presume i just bought the same 3ds XL that i returned yesterday. EDIT: Yep , has my username and birthday :p

O__________________O

That sucks/is pretty funny.

NYCrooner

So after a long internal debate I've been having with myself about how to get back into portable gaming...Vita or 3DS...I finally made the jump and picked up a 3DS XL.

I picked up RE: Revelations (which has been amazing so far), Mario Kart 7 (still fun but the franchise feels long in the tooth), and Super Mario 3D Land (haven't played it yet). Picked up a Pearl Pink 3DS for my fiance along with Tetris Axis and Harvest Moon Tale of Two Towns (her two favorite franchises). She is loving it.

My only issue so far is the battery life feels worst than described. We both pretty much never use the 3D and keep wireless off but it still seems to drain really quickly. Not a total bummer but definitely not something I'm happy about.

A potential concern of mine is that the lack of second analog will hinder it at some point but only time will tell. Sure play Res Evil works fine but the lack of camera control does hinder gameplay at times. I refuse to use a circle pad pro. I'm just stubborn that way.

Otherwise worthy purchase thus far!!

Slappers Only

I was intending to buy this thing day one, but it came out while I was on vacation. After I got back, I tried it at Target, and I gotta say, seeing it in person changed my mind. Those pixels really do stand out to me when blown up that big.

I'll just keep my original 3DS and pretend it's the super-slick, pixel-dense, Gameboy Micro equivalent version.

NeoRausch

O__________________O

WHAT? go to store, slam dat shit on the counter and demand a NEW one.

on the way out...magazin rack

I was intending to buy this thing day one, but it came out while I was on vacation. After I got back, I tried it at Target, and I gotta say, seeing it in person changed my mind. Those pixels really do stand out to me when blown up that big.

I'll just keep my original 3DS and pretend it's the super-slick, pixel-dense, Gameboy Micro equivalent version.

If they release a 3DS Lite I might go to that. I love the XL with its large screen and comfortable form factor, but in the end I think i like the image quality of the original more but really hate how the system feels. Right now I'm totally happy with the XL though, really comfortable system and much better overall vs the OG, even if it's a little more pixelated.

Got my XL last night (and my wife one too)! The 3D effect can be a little disorienting; you seem to really have to pay attention to keep the screen straight-on or it'll get all blurry. Seems like an awesome system though once I get used to it!

The only game I have so far is Kid Icarus, which is pretty funky to control. It kept slipping out of my left hand, so I'll try the stand tonight and that should help. Very pretty though and the 3D effect is very nice while you're flying through the air.

Yeah the sweet spot for 3D is jarring at first, but once you've stuck with it a little bit, you will begin to find it easily. Not only that, it'll be second nature and not bother your eyes and you'll lose the sweet spot a lot less. It's a muscle memory thing.

I do play with the 3D on always - especially the flight sections for Kid Icarus. I turn it down to minimum or off for the land sections though. Only game in my 3DS library that I switch it down or off. Such a great game.

Yep...I have a few of them too. I've been preaching about this Five Below deal here and there throughout the thread, but it is a shame the stores aren't more widespread and people are paying triple the cost on Amazon etc. They are wonderful cases for the DSi XL and 3DS XL, especially for $5. A steal.

I've been wanting said Chopper Purse for a bit, no five below.

Haven't seen the C.P. in person, until yesterday. Went to GameStop, saw them in red and brown for $14.99...

No thanks. Not when people are buying them for $5. I also need it in blue, lol.

Instead I just got a blue GameStop Power A fabric version with a car adapter bundled for 7$ ^_^

So I honestly had not been paying much attention to the 3DS XL news and impressions so far. I found my 3DS to be solid enough, I had ok battery life with the power pak+, and when I just looked at the specs the idea of a bigger screen with the same resolution seemed like a bad idea.

However at PAX all the Nintendo sections had XLs out for demo play, and I really, really liked how they played and felt. The bigger screen let me park it a bit farther back from my eyes and still get a little bit more of a "big screen" picture like I'd get sitting closer to a bigger TV. The screen size does highlight some jaggy 3D effects, but that was easily made up for the size and comfort. And while this might sound silly, I actually kinda liked how the reduced pixel density make sprite art games look on it, gives it a bit of a retro feel. That new 2D epic Mickey game they had looked just amazing.

Given that I picked up my 3DS for like $120 at one of those best buy deals (it was like $200 with an $80 games voucher or something like that) and that the current trade in is $100 at Gamestop I'm pretty sure that I'm going to move up this week. The whole "no charger" with the XL and the e-shop transfer mess really is annoying though. Can't believe that they would make it so hard to trade up.

My XL came with a charger here in NA.

Hey, you are right. The Gamestop page totally lists an AC charger with the system. I totally thought that it didn't come with one from seeing reviews online, was that just certain regions?

JaseMath

Can someone give me any worthwhile tips on how to apply the Hori screen protectors? It's seems simple enough, but my God, there are bubbles everywhere - used a card and everything. Had to buy a new set.. :(

womp

Can someone give me any worthwhile tips on how to apply the Hori screen protectors? It's seems simple enough, but my God, there are bubbles everywhere - used a card and everything. Had to buy a new set.. :(

Steam up your bathroom by running a hot shower for 5 min with the door shut. After 5 min enter bathroom with your screen protector and DS, shut the door, shut off the shower.

The water molecules in the air will trap excess dust in an already lower dust threshold room of the home.

Should help make the process *much* smoother.

urfe

I'm anti-screen protector, and noticed a line on the right side of the screen lining up with the bottom screen.

As soon as I got home, I cleaned the screens, and the line went away. No worries at all. I got two theories how the line got there:

a) once in the last few days, I held my 3DS LL by putting pressure on the middle of the device. If I had done this a little on the right side, it would make the bottom screen touch the top, and leave a mark.

b) this last week, I've been doing the 20 minute ride to the train station on my bicycle, with the 3ds in the front basket in my backpack (in a case). It's a bumpy ride sometimes, and maybe that did it.

I'm leaning towards a.

Regardless, what was a common occurrence with the OG has happened for the first time a month after I bought it, probably because I pushed the screens together myself.

So, the 3DS LL screens can get marked, but it's hard to do, and (at the very least) if you're quick, they'll wipe off no worries.

As an aside, I'm playing Yoshi's Island DS on it, and it looks amazing on the big screen.

So no one replied to my post about it, but I figured out what was causing my problem with my XL, where the touch screen would activate on its own/do weird things when I held the XL in certain orientations.

It was my screen protector. Once I took it off, my XL instantly started acting normally again. So that's great, right? I don't have to return it! Except that now I'm scared as hell to play something like Theatrhythm. If installing a screen protector on the touch screen makes the touch screen wig out, I can't use one, but playing a touch screen-intensive game like Theatrhythm, Elite Beat Agents, or Rhythm Heaven without a protector just doesn't seem like a good idea.

So I'm looking for testimonials from other XL owners who don't use screen protectors. How is your touch screen holding up after a few weeks of playing stylus-intensive games? Should I worry?

Owzers

WHAT? go to store, slam dat shit on the counter and demand a NEW one.

on the way out...magazin rack

andddddddd that was the only 3ds XL they had so i ended up returning it and am back at square one. Will wait to see if it gets a holiday bundle and get one later, i think i decided i definitely want one though.

NeoRausch

andddddddd that was the only 3ds XL they had so i ended up returning it and am back at square one. Will wait to see if it gets a holiday bundle and get one later, i think i decided i definitely want one though.

i guess you've got your money back. order a new one online. what a shitty store.

randomkid

I finally got to see an XL at Best Buy, it wasn't working for some reason but I at least got to hold it and try out the buttons, everything feels very nice, much more comfortable than the OG version.

Too bad the blue still looks so unappealing, in Best Buy lighting it is definitely still super loud and toy-like. I'll probably almost never use it in public but still... wonder if I should wait.

Drago

So yeah, 3DS XL did ~80k this month in NA (which would be its first week's sales)

Not too bad, but it probably could have been a lot better if NoA decided to advertise it outside of the last 5 seconds of the NSMB2 commercial :/

Also, Blue did better then Red. I am pleased :D

I don't know why I feel compelled to talk about this and my feelings may change tomorrow, but I've been debating trading in my DSi for a 3DS XL for a few days now. Gamestop gives $50 credit towards one and they are only $100 to begin with.

The reasons I've decided not to are that I never play my DSi as is (though I have been meaning to). I never have a chance to. I can't play at work, when I get home, I'm on a console and when I'm out and about it's with my family. The second reason is that once I get it, I'll need to try out Mario 3D Land, Starfox 64, Kid Icarus and who knows what else. Time is limited and I am working on a good sized multi-gen backlog. Also kinda digging the compactness of the DSi even though I prefer larger screens.

I like the big screen but how does DS titles like Dragon Quest 9 and Ghost Trick look on it? Like a mess or do they still hold together?

Drago

I don't know why I feel compelled to talk about this and my feelings may change tomorrow, but I've been debating trading in my DSi for a 3DS XL for a few days now. Gamestop gives $50 credit towards one and they are only $100 to begin with.

The reasons I've decided not to are that I never play my DSi as is (though I have been meaning to). I never have a chance to. I can't play at work, when I get home, I'm on a console and when I'm out and about it's with my family. The second reason is that once I get it, I'll need to try out Mario 3D Land, Starfox 64, Kid Icarus and who knows what else. Also kinda digging the compactness of the DSi even though I prefer parger screens.

I like the big screen but how does DS titles like Dragon Quest 9 and Ghost Trick look on it? Like a mess or do they still hold together?

As far as playing DS games go, 1:1 mode for DS games is a tiny bit bigger than the DSi screens, so the games look just as good (1:1) on the XL as they do on a DSi.

Stretched mode, however, looks pretty shitty

As far as playing DS games go, 1:1 mode for DS games is a tiny bit bigger than the DSi screens, so the games look just as good (1:1) on the XL as they do on a DSi.

Stretched mode, however, looks pretty shitty
Thanks for that. That was my biggest question about the XL. I said I would get it if they came out with an XL version. Battery is better. DS games look good on it. Seems like a good deal with the DSi. It has games I want to play.

Man, I'm on the fence...

Korosenai

Finally got my xl back from Nintendo (I shipped it out to them on the 20th), and it's perfect. Just put my hori screen protectors on and i'm ready to go.

I'm gonna be playing Kid Icarus in about 20 minutes, so if you want to join, add me: 5155-3032-4812 (pm me if you add me)

So no one replied to my post about it, but I figured out what was causing my problem with my XL, where the touch screen would activate on its own/do weird things when I held the XL in certain orientations.

It was my screen protector. Once I took it off, my XL instantly started acting normally again. So that's great, right? I don't have to return it! Except that now I'm scared as hell to play something like Theatrhythm. If installing a screen protector on the touch screen makes the touch screen wig out, I can't use one, but playing a touch screen-intensive game like Theatrhythm, Elite Beat Agents, or Rhythm Heaven without a protector just doesn't seem like a good idea.

So I'm looking for testimonials from other XL owners who don't use screen protectors. How is your touch screen holding up after a few weeks of playing stylus-intensive games? Should I worry?

I have a screen protector on my bottom screen. No issues.

I also had a screen protector on my purple unit, no issues.

I think yours is defective (touchscreen)?

The reasons I've decided not to are that I never play my DSi as is (though I have been meaning to). I never have a chance to. I can't play at work, when I get home, I'm on a console and when I'm out and about it's with my family. The second reason is that once I get it, I'll need to try out Mario 3D Land, Starfox 64, Kid Icarus and who knows what else. Time is limited and I am working on a good sized multi-gen backlog. Also kinda digging the compactness of the DSi even though I prefer larger screens.

I'm probably a freak, but DS games look really good to me stretched on the 3dsXL. I didn't have a DS and I've begun collecting lots if DS games to play on the XL and I'm enjoy them. I even think they're better looking than I gave them credit for (Viewtiful Joe DS, DQ IX, LoZ: Spirit Tracks, etc.). 1:1 was small and looked the same to my eyes and yes I do have 20/20 vision ^_^

So yeah, 3DS XL did ~80k this month in NA (which would be its first week's sales)

Not too bad, but it probably could have been a lot better if NoA decided to advertise it outside of the last 5 seconds of the NSMB2 commercial :/

Also, Blue did better then Red. I am pleased :D

I wouldn't call 80k at launch good. I'd call that bad. But compared to its direct competition, its outstanding.

I literally cannot make my mind up if I want to trade in my white 3DS for an XL.

Most of the important stuff seems to have been improved and I prefer matte consoles to glossy ones (also I'm in Australia so it actually comes with a charger) but there's just SOMETHING keeping me from buying it.

I dunno.

I wouldn't call 80k at launch good. I'd call that bad. But compared to its direct competition, its outstanding.

Yeah, it's pretty bad.

At the final hour I decided to wait to upgrade until either games I want to play are released (or even announced) or the eshop starts picking up.

So pretty much after WiiU is out.

-Winnie-

I tried a 3DSXL for the first time today... and the big screen is really nice, but the low resolution really sticks out like a sore thumb when the screen is so large.
I plan to buy a 3DS at some point and I figured it'd make more sense to get the XL, but I'm not sure after playing around with it today...

JazBur

Neo Member
Just customized my 3DS XL,
RQDTD.jpg

Your becoming quite a celebrity.

http://www.zeldadungeon.net/2012/09/3ds-xl-gets-custom-majoras-mask-paint-job/

Provider

Question:

Back when the transfer tool became available I transfered most of my DSiWare games from my DSi to the 3DS, but there's still a lot of games in it. Now that I got an XL, do I need to transfer everything left from the DSi to the Original 3DS first and then do a full transfer to the XL? or how does it work?

Pikma

Banned
Question:

Back when the transfer tool became available I transfered most of my DSiWare games from my DSi to the 3DS, but there's still a lot of games in it. Now that I got an XL, do I need to transfer everything left from the DSi to the Original 3DS first and then do a full transfer to the XL? or how does it work?

I believe you can transfer them in any order you want, since it gives you the option to keep two transferred accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom