• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomkid

Quick question, how would I check to see if a used 3DS being sold at Gamestop has access to the ambassador games? Could I check in store without some kind of internet connection?

Pikma

Banned
Quick question, how would I check to see if a used 3DS being sold at Gamestop has access to the ambassador games? Could I check in store without some kind of internet connection?
You could check if it has the ambassador certrificate as a installed program, if not then you will need to check the account history on the eShop (internet is needed for this).

randomkid

You could check if it has the ambassador certrificate as a installed program, if not then you will need to check the account history on the eShop (internet is needed for this).

Cool thanks. I'm hoping there are systems out there that haven't all gone through factory reset.

Odrion

Banned
I'm probably a freak, but DS games look really good to me stretched on the 3dsXL. I didn't have a DS and I've begun collecting lots if DS games to play on the XL and I'm enjoy them. I even think they're better looking than I gave them credit for (Viewtiful Joe DS, DQ IX, LoZ: Spirit Tracks, etc.). 1:1 was small and looked the same to my eyes and yes I do have 20/20 vision ^_^
Yeah. It looks like the DS games have a bit of aliasing to them that really helps. 3DS games? You could slit your wrists on them jaggie ass jaggies.

Pikma

Banned
Can you buy eShop points online with paypal or something? Don't have a CC :/

You can't, if I remember correctly, but you can buy eShop cards on many stores, if that's not an option you can order them through a web store that accepts PayPal, but no, you can't buy points directly with PayPal.

MYE

Well, I did it

fSN39.jpg

z0Jo8.jpg

This thing is fucking awesome.
Now I just need to sell my white 3DS :(

I finally got to play with one at GameStop today, hnnng.

I am dedicated to waiting for two things:

1. More Colors. I'm not TOO picky, but I just want more choices.
2. March 27th, 2013. I really should have my OG for two years before trading her in.

Odrion

Banned
OOT's 2D mode still looks badly pixelated. When RE:R comes in the mail I'll go see if it's the one magical 3DS game that isn't distractingly blocky on the XL.

Mileena

Banned
OOT's 2D mode still looks badly pixelated. When RE:R comes in the mail I'll go see if it's the one magical 3DS game that isn't distractingly blocky on the XL.

Hey, at least 2D OoT removes the awful ghosting. That's already a gigantic improvement.

zroid

Banned
Hey, at least 2D OoT removes the awful ghosting. That's already a gigantic improvement.

? I never got ghosting. I played the whole game at max 3D. I play everything at max 3D (except NSMB2, because it's excessively blurred out).

Maybe your eyes just aren't good with 3D, it happens.

Pikma

Banned
? I never got ghosting. I played the whole game at max 3D. I play everything at max 3D (except NSMB2, because it's excessively blurred out).

Try the Lost Woods, get near to a passage facing to it, but don't enter, that's where it's most noticeable for me.

Also, the tech used for the 3D has issues with low-lighting images (i.e. anything black color), so it will always produce some ghosting, that's a given, it can't be fixed, but it was way more noticeable on launch games, for the sole reason that devs began to take it into account and try to avoid it now, some current games still have it, but to a lesser extent.

Well, I did it

z0Jo8.jpg

This thing is fucking awesome.
Now I just need to sell my white 3DS :(

That pic right there is why I avoid white borders on electronics. The images on the XL with the black borders and the top screen of the 3DS OG float in space, whereas the white border on the bottom screen stands-out like an eyesore. I'm jealous of your red XL. I bought a red one but it had a ton of defects (stuck pixels, misaligned covers, uneven yellow screens) but the replacement was great, unfortunately it was blue.

Mileena

Banned

My eyes are awful so now I'm 2D exclusive, but after noticing it I googled and a bunch of other people had the same ghosting. I do wear contacts, so that may have something to do with it.

zroid

Banned
WELL WHADDYA KNOW, Doppel-Link! I guess you do really see it on dark backgrounds D:

But, shit, this is my first time seeing OoT on the XL, always thought the game looked great in 3D, but FUCKING HELL IT'S AWESOME ON THE XL. Lost Woods ghosting be damned!

I finally played one at Target today. I was impressed. The size is great (screens and the way it feels in my hands). The screen seemed to have better 3D viewing angles as well.

Side story: before I played it, a brother and sister were fighting over it.

Sister: Go play the PS Vita!
Brother: No!

Boney

Banned
I finally played one at Target today. I was impressed. The size is great (screens and the way it feels in my hands). The screen seemed to have better 3D viewing angles as well.

no one wants to play a vita :<

your sister calls it the PS Vita?

cloudyy

Need your help GAF, what would you do in my situation?

I already have a 3DS and a DS Lite but also shitton of DS games that I'd like to play on a bigger screen. What should I do?

1. Get a DSi XL and enjoy pixel clear perfect resolution and non blurry screen and longer battery life.
2. Get a 3DS XL and sell my 3DS (which will mean less streetpass since it's huge and I'll think twice before taking the XL with me).
3. Import a US 3DS XL since I live in Europe, play non-dsi enhanced games (which aren't region-locked) and enjoy american eshop and future games that might not be localised here.

Since getting my 3ds XL and NSMB2, I've probably played with the handheld for an hour and a half per day (that's a lot for me). I've pretty well neglected my S3 and mobile games for the big screen 3D goodness.

Loving the unit, kudos to Nintendo for the improvements. I ended up passing my older mint cosmos black 3ds up to my brother who's now getting into SM3DL.

braves01

Banned
Need your help GAF, what would you do in my situation?

I already have a 3DS and a DS Lite but also shitton of DS games that I'd like to play on a bigger screen. What should I do?

1. Get a DSi XL and enjoy pixel clear perfect resolution and non blurry screen and longer battery life.
2. Get a 3DS XL and sell my 3DS (which will mean less streetpass since it's huge and I'll think twice before taking the XL with me).
3. Import a US 3DS XL since I live in Europe, play non-dsi enhanced games (which aren't region-locked) and enjoy american eshop and future games that might not be localised here.

Buy all three and use the Club Nintendo points to get the messenger bag to carry everything in :)

That's a tough call, but I'd lean towards one of the 3DS XL options just because it's a pretty big leap over the og and ds games still look great in 1:1 if they don't stretch well.

Necrovex

Buy all three and use the Club Nintendo points to get the messenger bag to carry everything in :)

That's a tough call, but I'd lean towards one of the 3DS XL options just because it's a pretty big leap over the og and ds games still look great in 1:1 if they don't stretch well.

I cannot stand the 1:1 on my 3DS XL. I've been really flirting with the idea of picking up a DSi XL if I can find one at a reasonable price. I have so many DS games that I still want to play, and after trying 999 stretched out on a 3DS XL, I really don't want to go back to that or play it on 1:1, which is way too small for me.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Bit the bullet, got a 3DS XL for 1999 SEK along with Mario 3D Land. Thought that'd be a pretty nice title to experience the 3D with.

Edit: Of course I went with silver, to pay respects to my old silver DSPhat. May it rest in peace.

OoT caused some pretty bad ghosting at times. Usually involving fire thingies.

Usually with OoT, and most games, it's when 3D images clash with an area of black. It's most noticeable in OoT when you get "Game Over" and Link is contrasted against the blacked-out background.

Are there any nice, high-resolution shots of the all-white Japanese model? That's the one I've been lusting after, and I'm sure I'm not alone there...

Eric C

I just tried playing a game on my DS lite. The screens are SO TINY.

What's the dpad feel like on the DSi XL, is it like the 3DS XL dpad?

Gravijah

I just tried playing a game on my DS lite. The screens are SO TINY.

What's the dpad feel like on the DSi XL, is it like the 3DS XL dpad?

DSi XL d-pad is amazing but...

i realized recently that Nintendo make their d-pads way too uncomfortable. always hurting my thumb.

Pikma

Banned
I'm still annoyed that the UK version didn't get that.

Now that I think about it, Why didn't Nintendo/Level5 include it? It's not like they intended to sell it separately, what would be a reasonable explanation? or is that too much to ask nowadays with all the publisher bullshit we've been getting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom