• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3rd console curse? MS Xbox One

cryptoadam

Banned
Long time gamers probably have heard of the old 3rd console curse. Where consoles can often times fail on the 3rd try.

So did MS suffer from the 3rd console curse with the One? Xbox itself was a good first entry and established MS as a player. It was more popular than the Gamecube, though it didn't touch PS2 it did get its own fans and set itself up for the sequel.

360 pushed MS into the mainstream of gaming. PS3 (sonys 3rd console not ironically) was late and expensive and allowed MS to get its name out there and become the place for 3rd party games. Now eventually the PS3 caught the 360, but I don't think anyone can argue that the 360 was not MS's most successful console and it was really the 360 that made MS into a player in the industry.

Then came the One and it was a disaster from the start. TV TV TV. Kinect. The crazy DRM plans. The One started the race 10 feet behind Sony. The One tried to keep up, but it is no 360 as far as mindshare and zeitgeist, and once the switch dropped XBOX quickly moved to 3rd place in the console race.

Saturn/N64/PS3 and now the One. All 3rd consoles, all of em represented a fall from grace.

I know what you mean, but I just see it different, like its not cursed if I enjoy it and its become a very via system to me. Did they make 3 consoles misteps yes. But havent they also made a ton of money of Xbox one. I always say this but we were told That there would not even be a second Xbox by fanboys. LOL

cryptoadam

Banned
I know what you mean, but I just see it different, like its not cursed if I enjoy it and its become a very via system to me. Did they make 3 consoles misteps yes. But havent they also made a ton of money of Xbox one. I always say this but we were told That there would not even be a second Xbox by fanboys. LOL

Well I don't necessarily mean as far as enjoyment. N64 was a pretty good console and had a lot of great games, but it was a step down from NES and SNES.

360 was IMO more popular than the One, and the last few years MS has dropped to 3rd place after being in a solid 2nd place last gen. Some could even say they beat PS3 in the USA.

Like Nintendo MS isn't dead from the One but their momentum has been slowed down. They could have a Wii or Switch comeback to shoot them back to the top.

But it was always a running gag that the 3rd console is always a step down for companies.

N64, Saturn, PS3.

Elysion

Banned
Heh, I wonder if the cycle starts again after the 3rd console. If it does, then a company's 6th console would be a dissapointment as well. So far, we can only test this theory with Nintendo, whose sixth console was... the WiiU.

Oh boy, looks like we should be getting nervous about the PS6, lol.

iJudged

Banned
sold shitload and made them a lot of money, you mean cursed in sales compared to the competitors, in that regard, yes, but far from cursed as in failure

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
They did pretty well considering they only really have America and a couple other small territories that the brand is still strong in.

50 million is very respectable. I'm more worried about this generation coming for them.

iJudged

Banned
They did pretty well considering they only really have America and a couple other small territories that the brand is still strong in.

50 million is very respectable. I'm more worried about this generation coming for them.
indeed, i still think they're gonna crack the 50 mill this time around, specially with the introduction of XsS

teezzy

Banned
I'm hoping Microsoft are able to focus on their vision more this generation and showcase to the casual market why they exist as a brand and what separates them from Nintendo and Sony. Theres still a lot of mixed messaging out there and I hope the Xbox platform as they envision it can be communicated fully.

Top Bottom