• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

40 years ago, Nintendo released its first console!

And one week later on June 8th the Color-TV Game 15 was launched:
nintendo_tvgame_15_40.JPG

Which got Smash representation:
PQT7Ct.gif

Honestly I was surprised Nintendo never did anything for their 125th anniversary a few years ago as they were established September 23, 1889.

FinalAres

Videogames already had taken off, and imploded. Nintendo is credited with resurrecting a dead industry and turning it into the defining entertainment industry we have today.

I'm definitely not going to deny Nintendo has had more impact on videogames than any other company.

However for the sake of accuracy that implosion only happened in the US, so hardly counts as reviving a dead industry. I'm not a huge fan of revisionist history, so that's the only reason I bring it up.

I'm definitely not going to deny Nintendo has had more impact on videogames than any other company.

However for the sake of accuracy that implosion only happened in the US, so hardly counts as reviving a dead industry. I'm not a huge fan of revisionist history, so that's the only reason I bring it up.

And even in NA. Millions of atari's, intelevisions and colecos were sold. In addition to those, we had a c64.

So, many, games.

Having actually lived through the time, videogames were never really dead *shrug*

Nintendo are really fantastic however.

Celine

At least 1 million units of the Color TV Game 6 were sold in Japan.
I don't think so.
Color TV-Game 6 and 15 sold about 2 million units and roughly 70% were Color TV Game 15 consoles.
http://trendy.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/special/20080929/1019222/

The implosion happened for the US videogame industry (the arcade and computer game industry were still healthy).
That said the Famicom/NES was also the birth of the japanese videogame market after the moderate success of Epoch Cassette Vision.
Famicom/NES impact in Japan and North America was huge.
Europe instead was dominated by home computers.

Neff

I was actually talking about the US games industry in my post, since you are quite correct.

But I still maintain that dominating the US as Nintendo did from Atari's ashes is an unprecedented accomplishment for gaming.

Top Bottom