• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4090s back in stock. Just purchased one. I'm sick to my stomach

Calverz

I’ve made the leap. I’m upgrading my 3070 to the 4090. Arrives in a few days. Really excited to run re4 and tlou on it. Annoyingly I think I’m going to have a hell of a time with the pcie psu cables. My Corsair hx850i can’t use their one cable solution apparently. So 3 fuckin cables to contend with 😂

Needlecrash

Definitely, it's the same thing I felt when I upgraded from a 1070ti to 3080. Enjoy it.

footnote: sorry to bump this thread, but Amazon just charged my account, which means the GPU is shipping any moment now. Came back to read the whole thread the bathe in the support from you guys. :messenger_heart:
This was me when I went from a 1080ti to a 3080. WHEW. WHAT A RUSH. Debating about getting the 4090 but I might hold off until the 5000 series cards are out.

RaySoft

In a moment of weakness I spotted a MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio for $1649.99. 50 bucks over MSRP. I couldn't stop myself from clicking on it. Look at the product description, thought of the power, and could not contain myself.

After purchasing I went straight to youtube reviewing all the comparison videos trying to muster up some modicum of justification for what I just did to my bank account.

"I already have a 3080 do I really need this."

No, of course I don't. I game fine on my current rig.

I make this thread not to brag or throw it people's face. I come for support. I come to discuss the pro's and cons and to hear any advice you folks might have.

Am I a fool or am I officially a premium gaming enthusiast who should just say fuck it, YOLO and be thankful that I actually have the ability to do this. Could I have spent the 1700+ dollars better.

Bills are paid, food on the table, no kids to speak of. What do you guys think?
That's your decision mate. You seem like a grown individual who shouldn't need our input. Make the best out of it!

Nice to see many people ascending to greatness. I went from a 1070 to a 4090 and I’m still trying to come to terms with how big the upgrade was. No regrets at all and one of the best gaming purchases I’ve ever done despite the cost.

Sleepwalker

Picking one of these babies next month most likely. It seems AIB prices are nearing the FE price from what ive seen in my country.

dorkimoe

Might get one of these this year. I have a 3080 so no real need, but kinda want to do a PC upgrade. New mobo/cpu/gpu

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I love my 4090...

To make you all feel sick, it's almost the highest selling card where I work...not far behind 3060ti and 4070ti....

Nvidia won with their tactics.

CGNoire

In a moment of weakness I spotted a MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio for $1649.99. 50 bucks over MSRP. I couldn't stop myself from clicking on it. Look at the product description, thought of the power, and could not contain myself.

After purchasing I went straight to youtube reviewing all the comparison videos trying to muster up some modicum of justification for what I just did to my bank account.

"I already have a 3080 do I really need this."

No, of course I don't. I game fine on my current rig.

I make this thread not to brag or throw it people's face. I come for support. I come to discuss the pro's and cons and to hear any advice you folks might have.

Am I a fool or am I officially a premium gaming enthusiast who should just say fuck it, YOLO and be thankful that I actually have the ability to do this. Could I have spent the 1700+ dollars better.

Bills are paid, food on the table, no kids to speak of. What do you guys think?
You can send me your 3080.

Majukun

yes you're a fool, yes you should have spent your money better, yes you are gonna enjoy the hell out of it until the 4k ray tracing at infinite fps gets boring and mundane.

Merkades

I bought one of these back when this thread first popped up, I am ok with it. Often when I make bigger non necessary purchases, I feel a little off for a while but I did not with this, I probably just use it too much and like what it offers, even at that cost. It finally completes my PC I started building around the 3000 series that I never could actually purchase (sans scalpers). I do need a new case though, since as I thought, my case does not fit it so no side panel for me. Maybe wait 'til the 011 dynamic evo xl comes out.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Since my last reply I've gotten myself one as well. The first day it was like "ok, I'm sitting here with a 4090, what now..". But then the more I played, the more I realized what a beast this card is.. It even creates a smooth 4K VR experience in MS Flight Simulator, it's fantastic. I need to do something about my unused 3080 though..

does the connector still have burning problems?

Not if it's properly connected - Which of course could also mean it isn't properly fool proof designed..

What a waste of money and people complain why the prices are so high. Thank this guy for that.

Well, it's not a waste of money if you had the money and now after can use your new thingy and feel good about it. It's not the same for everyone is it, we all represent our own individual situation. We need to put it in perspective before we can represent a group of people. F.ex. most of us agree that we should criticize Nvidia for ruining the value of the 4080 for what we expected its demographic to be. But that doesn't mean the 4080 is a waste of money for everyone (though a waste of money for a LOT more people).

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Was at Microcenter yesterday to grab a RAM upgrade and went to the GPU section, damn these prices. I remember when $600 for a GPU was a lot of money. My entire PC build is like $1100.
Can't justify a 4090 yet as 3080 with DLSS is good enough at 4k 60 fps (sometimes with raytracing, though I hardly notice it in most games). Depending on the games that come out in the next few years I may upgrade when the 50xx series it out....but then will we have $2000 GPUs lol

StereoVsn

Terrible comparison. Holiday all the way.
Yeah, that's completely different animal. Going to be going on a holiday with my family in the early summer and that will cost us a lot more then a 4090. But no regrets, lol.

Let's just say one of these (a holiday) is wife approved and the other (4090 for like $1800 with tax) not so much. 😉

Top Bottom