• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4chan: Alleged former 343 employee shares studio details on Halo reception & develop.

Kalentan

I think the point people are trying to make when they say this is that even the most avid of Halo fans probably don't want to make Halo for their entire career and the structure of 343 (and MGS in general really) doesn't offer a great deal of creative freedom outside of their major tent pole franchises.

So while they will be fine in the short term there is a real risk of attrition and losing talent as time goes on and there's nothing for these individuals who've had there fill to do within MGS, except move on to Gears. Then, as the Halo brand becomes less interesting as time goes on there will be less new blood to keep the franchise fresh.

This is my feeling, at least, and it's my biggest gripe with Microsoft making studios named after their respective series - eventually the creative talent will dry up and there's no other outlets for them at Microsoft at the moment.

If those people want to make new IP they can leave.

They didn't just name 343i after a Halo character. All 343i does it work on Halo games and other Halo stuff. People don't go there to make other stuff and if you did then that person is naive.

People need to get over the fact that 343i will make Halo until the day Microsoft closes them down.

If you can't remember it, then is it really fine, fun, and a good romp? Personally, I couldn't stand it on the very basic, core, thematic level.
I've never been a Halo die hard so I'm sure a lot of your complaints didn't carry over to my experience for that hatred.

It's a game that provided me with entertainment throughout but nothing more. Certainly not what the first few games did. I'm not going to say it's bad but it's also not very good, simply a throwaway experience. I can't say that about Halo 1-3.

I'm starting to think that a better replacement for Chief would be another silent character, or just one that speaks very little. Neither the Rookie or Noble 6 are the chief, but I think most people look back positively on both, but I can't fucking stand Locke, dude's fucking boring.

Cranster

Banned
]I just don't know what Halo can offer anymore. We've seen it all before at this point,[/B] unless they drastically change it, at which point just make it a new IP.

Halo 5 was fine. Fun. A good romp. I can barely remember it already, though, and the only thing that has stuck with me is how convoluted and awful the narrative has become.

Destiny is shite but I respect Bungie for realising Halo was done and moving on. I think Microsoft need to do the same.
Here's an idea, stick to what works in the franchise? I am sick of this made up rule that for a franchise to continue it needs to be innovative. Most successful game franchises stay popular because eventually they stick to a gameplay formula that works for them. See GTA, Call of Duty, Mario, Zelda, Madden, ect.

Assuming this stuff is true, they wanna get rid of Chief?
Lol.
Chief is Halo.

Wars, ODST and Reach proved there's more stories to tell in the Halo universe than just the Chief's. If they can end his story on a satisfying note and send him walking off into the sunset, I'm all for it. Let some other characters take the spotlight.

Wars, ODST and Reach proved there's more stories to tell in the Halo universe than just the Chief's. If they can end his story on a satisfying note and send him walking off into the sunset, I'm all for it. Let some other characters take the spotlight.
Agreed. Hell, they can hardly tell a Chief story with Chief in the damn game. I'm ready for something else.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
If true I'm glad the "make prometheans fun to fight" is a priority still. They were loads better in 5, but still pale compared to the covenant. Also, taking the game in a more CE direction is good. Still, likely bullshit, but who knows.

jelly

If those people want to make new IP they can leave.

They didn't just name 343i after a Halo character. All 343i does it work on Halo games and other Halo stuff. People don't go there to make other stuff and if you did then that person is naive.

People need to get over the fact that 343i will make Halo until the day Microsoft closes them down.

But wouldn't it be great if the talent could make something new within MGS. Say 343 were just Microsoft Games Seattle and one team did Halo but another did something new. You're done with Halo, well bye, seems like a waste of talent. Shouldn't they be learning new things together and growing as a team, trying new things. Not all things work out but having such a myopic view of game IP when you have creative talent on your books seems very shortsighted.

Kalentan

But wouldn't it be great if the talent could make something new within MGS. Say 343 were just Microsoft Games Seattle and one team did Halo but another did something new. You're done with Halo, well bye, seems like a waste of talent. Shouldn't they be learning new things together and growing as a team, trying new things. Not all things work out but having such a myopic view of game IP when you have creative talent on your books seems very shortsighted.

The problem is that Microsoft already has other studios. Hell if people at 343i wanted to make a new IP, Microsoft would probably shift them to a another studio.

I find honestly this talk is kind of insulting to the team at 343i, since they were hired and want to make Halo. Yet people saying they should make new IP is basically the same as telling them that they failed.

Microsoft isn't holding them at gun point and telling them to make only Halo. They signed up to MAKE only Halo.

Top Bottom