• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K 120hz Firmware rollout begins for Sony X900H / XH90

Allandor

120hz blur not solved by this update btw.

:(
saw the thread popping up and had hopes ... and I'm disappointed now.
At least I hope they managed to fix the crashing bugs with this update. From the change-log it just seems like the last update but now in a stable form (at least I hope).

Why did they even add 120Hz mode if it is blurry? Makes no sense, the picture should get sharper not blurrier with 120Hz.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Seems like this model is a dud, I was eyeing it but haven't pulled the trigger on the black Friday sale. When do new TVs get announced and released thinking I may just wait for new models that tick all the boxes instead of waiting for a update. I basically want a future proof TV with VRR, 4K120, not OLED, low input lag, good HDR for a non OLED.

Riky

$MSFT
Seems like this model is a dud, I was eyeing it but haven't pulled the trigger on the black Friday sale. When do new TVs get announced and released thinking I may just wait for new models that tick all the boxes instead of waiting for a update. I basically want a future proof TV with VRR, 4K120, not OLED, low input lag, good HDR for a non OLED.

LG Nanocell 8 or 9 series , does all you want.

Resenge

At least I hope they managed to fix the crashing bugs with this update. From the change-log it just seems like the last update but now in a stable form (at least I hope).
This was my big problem over everything else I wanted sorted out. My tv crashed everytime I turned it on and then would randomly crash and reboot while watching. I finally updated a couple of days ago and it has not crashed since so I am cautiously optimistic that its fixed 🤞

Andodalf

Banned
Strange never heard of those TVs seems like everywhere I read the main suggestions are the usual Sony X900H, LG CX or Samsung Q90T.

The nano series aren’t as nice, and only have the brightness to give you meh HDR on most models, from what I’ve seen

Riky

$MSFT
Strange never heard of those TVs seems like everywhere I read the main suggestions are the usual Sony X900H, LG CX or Samsung Q90T.

I thought that to, but everything had a drawback. Then I saw a review of these and it's just perfect for gaming, 2 fully operational HDMI 2.1 sockets, no burn in issues and a good price. If you're in the UK I can post a link.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Looks like the best move is to either buy a CX or if you don't like OLED due to burn in paranoia is to wait it out.

I can't buy a TV with promises for a fix need to see it perform before I buy. Was going to get the Sony but they don't have VRR and now I'm hearing 120 is blurry. Before the 120 firmware update everyone just assumed it will happen and work as advertised, what if they have new issues when updating TV with VRR, so buying a TV based in promised features isn't exactly a good idea. Will wait it out until a perfect non OLED TV comes up.

Guys I have the 85 inch version of this TV (Costco deal for 2k) As many have probably overlooked, the blurriness seems to only affect those looking to use it as a monitor. I have series X and PS5. Tried Ori and Halo MCC and don’t see any blurriness. Happy to run 120hz mode tests for anyone.

KAL2006

Banned
Guys I have the 85 inch version of this TV (Costco deal for 2k) As many have probably overlooked, the blurriness seems to only affect those looking to use it as a monitor. I have series X and PS5. Tried Ori and Halo MCC and don’t see any blurriness. Happy to run 120hz mode tests for anyone.

Interesting don't know if I should pull the trigger on that John Lewis deal which comes with a soundbar

Interesting don't know if I should pull the trigger on that John Lewis deal which comes with a soundbar
This tv is fantastic. Not sure about the John Lewis deal but Costco and Sam’s Club have the 85” for 1970 right now with a 5 year warranty included. Worth buying a membership alone for the extra years warranty. They have deals on the other sizes too. I’m sure the 120hz PC problem will be addressed by Sony - they have said that it will be soon.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This tv is fantastic. Not sure about the John Lewis deal but Costco and Sam’s Club have the 85” for 1970 right now with a 5 year warranty included. Worth buying a membership alone for the extra years warranty. They have deals on the other sizes too. I’m sure the 120hz PC problem will be addressed by Sony - they have said that it will be soon.

Agreed. I have the 65” that I got a great deal on for just shy of $900 with an additional 3 year warranty stack as well.

This TV is fantastic, especially for the price and deals they are still going on with. As close as you will get to OLED in an LCD, IMO.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
So I pulled the trigger on this. It was either this or the LG CX. I've checked the 120fps impressions while it's not perfect it's not as bad as it was originally ore firmware. Reason I went for it was it was the best bang for the buck. For £950 I got a 65 inch. It was either this or the LG CX but the LG costs nearly double the price.

Anyone with this TV how is the sound I assume it's not as good like most TVs, is it easy to hook up a soundbar to it and there are no audio lag or disconnect issues?

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
So I pulled the trigger on this. It was either this or the LG CX. I've checked the 120fps impressions while it's not perfect it's not as bad as it was originally ore firmware. Reason I went for it was it was the best bang for the buck. For £950 I got a 65 inch. It was either this or the LG CX but the LG costs nearly double the price.

Anyone with this TV how is the sound I assume it's not as good like most TVs, is it easy to hook up a soundbar to it and there are no audio lag or disconnect issues?

can you take pictures of the blurbusters tests https://www.testufo.com/ghosting at:

120hz
120hz + BFI (black frame insert)

My samsung NU8505 has pretty bad ghosting on the dark green test at 120hz and horrible overshoot (image duplication) with BFI enabled.

Thanks

a9K8AJ3.jpg

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
can you take pictures of the blurbusters tests https://www.testufo.com/ghosting at:

120hz
120hz + BFI (black frame insert)

My samsung NU8505 has pretty bad ghosting on the dark green test at 120hz and horrible overshoot (image duplication) with BFI enabled.

Thanks

a9K8AJ3.jpg

I haven't received it yet and won't receive it a long time as it's out of stock and in backorder. I don't mind as I'm currently moving houses so don't want it right away. But when I do get it I will try the test.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
What blurriness?

i got the 75 inch model back in october, this thing is beat, played cod on it, np

Pc monitors having issues?

in 120hz go to a very dark wall with a good detailed texture, and start moving the mouse in circles. Does the texture become blurry? do the texture details leave "trails" or ghosting as you move the mouse?

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
in 120hz go to a very dark wall with a good detailed texture, and start moving the mouse in circles. Does the texture become blurry? do the texture details leave "trails" or ghosting as you move the mouse?
Thus replicating a very real life in-game scenario :messenger_grinning_smiling:

KAL2006

Banned
So when advertising this TV Sony said it will have VRR in a software update. It's been over a year since the release of this TV and there is no news on VRR. Is there a way the TV can be refunded based on Sony not providing advertised feature

Mister Wolf

So when advertising this TV Sony said it will have VRR in a software update. It's been over a year since the release of this TV and there is no news on VRR. Is there a way the TV can be refunded based on Sony not providing advertised feature

They're trying to get over on you.

jigglet

Banned
I don't understand why it's taking so long for either Sony or TV manufacturers to implement VRR, it's such old tech.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think Sony and a number of other manufacturers (TCL, Panasonic) have stated that they are waiting for the official HDMI 2.1 spec for VRR to be completed before they implement.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Never buy a tv on the promise of future updates.

Never really bought it for the VRR feature mainly for a cheap TV with good upscaler and low input lag with Android which this TV provided. I bought mine on Black Friday on a good price. However now that there are nicer TVs out in the market I was just wondering if there I would be legally entitled for a full refund as there is advertise feature that's not provided.

RaZoR No1

I think Sony and a number of other manufacturers (TCL, Panasonic) have stated that they are waiting for the official HDMI 2.1 spec for VRR to be completed before they implement.
wasnt 2.1 already completed some years ago?
How come that only Sony is waiting for completion but every other manufacturer have implement all 2.1 features already?
+ That blurry 4k120hz (everything with 120hz is blurry on these TVs...)

RaZoR No1

I play 4k 120 games on my x900h and I dont get why people call this blurry as games like Ori on the Series X looks stellar.
It is blurry, when you switch to 4k120hz. On 4k60hz everything will look sharper, because the TV shows true 4k and not some half 4k (afaik the horizontal resolution is halved)
First time I recognized this issue was, when I played FH4.
The button descriptions etc. looked blurry/edgy. After switching back to 4k60hz everything was fine.

Using it with a PC will be one of the best wqys to show the broken 4k120hz implementation of Sony.

If you dont see it, then consider yourself lucky and dont look to much into it 😅

reinking

Gold Member
It is blurry, when you switch to 4k120hz. On 4k60hz everything will look sharper, because the TV shows true 4k and not some half 4k (afaik the horizontal resolution is halved)
The button descriptions etc. looked blurry/edgy. After switching back to 4k60hz everything was fine.

Using it with a PC will be one of the best wqys to show the broken 4k120hz implementation of Sony.

If you dont see it, then consider yourself lucky and dont look to much into it 😅
I am not saying it is not there but I'm not noticing it. I have the 65" sitting at the foot of my bed so maybe I would notice if I was using PC. While I am pissed at Sony for not implementing promised features this TV is hardly trash without those features. It produces one of the best pictures I have ever experienced on a LED. Like I said though, still pissed at Sony. I was going to buy a 43" Sony X85J as a side monitor for my desk to also console game on but I will never buy a Sony TV on promised features again.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I am not saying it is not there but I'm not noticing it. I have the 65" sitting at the foot of my bed so maybe I would notice if I was using PC. While I am pissed at Sony for not implementing promised features this TV is hardly trash without those features. It produces one of the best pictures I have ever experienced on a LED. Like I said though, still pissed at Sony. I was going to buy a 43" Sony X85J as a side monitor for my desk to also console game on but I will never buy a Sony TV on promised features again.
Maybe I dont see it either because I dont use a PC on my 65"

We were just playing Ori on it last night at 4k 120 via the Series X and its simply not blurry, there is zero truth to that at least on this set.

Honestly my biggest gripe about this x900h when using my PS5 is sometimes the PS5 likes to take control over the TV and render my TV remote useless

Esppiral

Yeah,. This is disgusting, they straight up lied to us

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
We were just playing Ori on it last night at 4k 120 via the Series X and its simply not blurry, there is zero truth to that at least on this set.
Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not true lmao.
There is a definite difference between setting your xsx to 120hz and 60hz; and no switching ori between uhd120 and 6k60 isn't going to show it, because the 120hz setting on the xsx is system wide.
So even if you switch ori to 6k60, the xsx is still telling the tv to refresh at 120hz; you'd have to switch the console itself between 60/120 to see the difference, it's most noticeable with text/hard edges (which is why on pc you see the difference right away).

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not true lmao.
There is a definite difference between setting your xsx to 120hz and 60hz; and no switching ori between uhd120 and 6k60 isn't going to show it, because the 120hz setting on the xsx is system wide.
So even if you switch ori to 6k60, the xsx is still telling the tv to refresh at 120hz; you'd have to switch the console itself between 60/120 to see the difference, it's most noticeable with text/hard edges (which is why on pc you see the difference right away).
Yeah I have my Series X set to 120 hz system wide

This is not great pic as it doesnt do this game justice because its originally a shot of the whole screen and I just zoomed into the numbers on the display but this is on the Series X with the 900H will see if I can get a better pic of the text between 60 hz and 4k 120 to compare them
TrNfvCe.jpg

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

Maybe I dont see it either because I dont use a PC on my 65"

Honestly my biggest gripe about this x900h when using my PS5 is sometimes the PS5 likes to take control over the TV and render my TV remote useless
Again, I am really happy for you both, that you dont see the blur / halfing the horizontal resolution.
There are several articles and threads which show the issue.
And you are right. Even with these issues it is still a really good TV and I got it very cheap on Blackfriday, so I can live with it atm.
It is just sad, that Sony is not able to implement the promised features correctly or at all and the communication from Sony is very bad.

Just check the thread on avsforum.. 1100+ pages which include the mentioned issues..

Top Bottom