• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K 120hz Firmware rollout begins for Sony X900H / XH90

Amiga

His point being that 4k 120hz games are going to be extremely rare and the games that do run at that resolution and fps won't be graphically impressive enough to even tell the difference of 4k and lower resolutions at most sitting distances.
120hz is also for 40fps

Kilau

X90J owner here.

Arrested Development Mistake GIF

Blond

Banned
X90J owner here.

Arrested Development Mistake GIF
Make one for the C9, we’re getting left in the dust. I’m telling you this the LAST time I pay this kind of money for a TV were getting fucked left and right in terms of fixes and I’m not shocked that Sony is waiting for VRR. I get it, there’s no FreeBSD standard for freesync, but partner with AMD at this point.

Mr Moose

Again, I am really happy for you both, that you dont see the blur / halfing the horizontal resolution.
There are several articles and threads which show the issue.
And you are right. Even with these issues it is still a really good TV and I got it very cheap on Blackfriday, so I can live with it atm.
It is just sad, that Sony is not able to implement the promised features correctly or at all and the communication from Sony is very bad.

Just check the thread on avsforum.. 1100+ pages which include the mentioned issues..
Do they use different panels across their models/sizes?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
yes, because content is basically "moving paintings".
Hook them up to a pc and switch between 60/120hz and it's immediately apparent.
Seems to me to be more something to do with PC and Switch as doesnt seem as obvious with an Xbox as I just did Ori switching between 60 and 120 and I simply dont see it as neither does my wife.

S0ULZB0URNE

Again, I am really happy for you both, that you dont see the blur / halfing the horizontal resolution.
There are several articles and threads which show the issue.
And you are right. Even with these issues it is still a really good TV and I got it very cheap on Blackfriday, so I can live with it atm.
It is just sad, that Sony is not able to implement the promised features correctly or at all and the communication from Sony is very bad.

Just check the thread on avsforum.. 1100+ pages which include the mentioned issues..
That forum has some who don't have the issue as well.

Sony has claimed 4K/120 works with PS5

No noteworthy tests have been done with PS5.

The PS5 comparisons have been done comparing LOWER RESOLUTION/LOWER GRAPHIC SETTINGS 120hz vs 4K/ higher graphic settings 60hz so of course in 120 fps mode it will look worse.

The blur some are claiming has been on the PC and with ANY resolution playing 120fps.
In my experience playing BF4 1080p/120hz I see no blur at all.

Might be a issue with different makes.. ie my set was a launch set.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

The PS5 comparisons have been done comparing LOWER RESOLUTION/LOWER GRAPHIC SETTINGS 120hz vs 4K/ higher graphic settings 60hz so of course in 120 fps mode it will look worse.

The blur some are claiming has been on the PC and with ANY resolution playing 120fps.

Yeah I went back and forth on Ori and there is no difference no blur and not dragging my PC over to play games on a 65" TV

I havent tested any PS5 games as I think Ori is the only game I own that runs 4k 120

Dev1lXYZ

The last two updates cause my x930e to reboot when I play Series X and PS5. Maybe my Kinivo switch box is causing the issue......it never did before....so I dunno. I’ll try disabling device link.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
That is what this thread is about.

The TCL isn't a HDMI 2.1 TV.
It only supports 4K/60hz

The thread was never about the VRR in the first place. The person that bumped the thread and got the topic started on VRR was complaining about Sony's undelivered promise. Not some caveat that its needs to be 120hz. The TCL having 4K 60 VRR is better that what Sony is providing right?

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
So is there any people who have had success on getting a refund. Surely in many countries laws not providing a promised feature for over a year would get people entitled to a full refund. I was wondering if I have anything to stand in if u ring up Sony and apply for refund I have email receipt of purchase.

Im from the UK I bought it for around £950 for a 65inch but I'm tempted to get that money back so I can upgrade to a 2021 model.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So is there any people who have had success on getting a refund. Surely in many countries laws not providing a promised feature for over a year would get people entitled to a full refund. I was wondering if I have anything to stand in if u ring up Sony and apply for refund I have email receipt of purchase.

Im from the UK I bought it for around £950 for a 65inch but I'm tempted to get that money back so I can upgrade to a 2021 model.
Just go to the store and ask. Or call Sony and ask.

S0ULZB0URNE

The thread was never about the VRR in the first place. The person that bumped the thread and got the topic started on VRR was complaining about their undelivered promise. Not some caveat that its needs to be 120hz. The TCL having 4K 60 VRR is better that what Sony is providing right?
Exactly it wasn't.
It's about the 900H supporting 4K/120 which the TCL doesn't.

No 4K/60/VRR isn't better than what Sony has provided so far(even less when/if VRR comes)
IMO

Riky

$MSFT
Riky Riky you game on a shitty picture IPS LG Panel.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

I had the choice I made the right one, that's why people are asking for refunds in this thread, glad I didn't fall for the lies and buy this rubbish outdated Sony set.
My TV is purely for games and I get 4k, 120hz and VRR as well as Dolby Vision.
When I upgrade my lounge set in a year or so which has more mixed use I'll get OLED but the Nanocell has done what I wanted for gaming.
Very happy with it🙂

Seems to me to be more something to do with PC and Switch as doesnt seem as obvious with an Xbox as I just did Ori switching between 60 and 120 and I simply dont see it as neither does my wife.
Well ok, but it doesn't matter if you "don't see it", in fact more power to you.
The chip inside the TV simply isn't capable of doing UHD120 at full resolution.

S0ULZB0URNE

I had the choice I made the right one, that's why people are asking for refunds in this thread, glad I didn't fall for the lies and buy this rubbish outdated Sony set.
When I upgrade my lounge set in a year or so which has more mixed use I'll get OLED but the Nanocell has done what I wanted for gaming.
Very happy with it🙂
If a person wants good picture quality and HDR that you can actually notice... they stay away from LG's Nanocell IPS TV's.

The X900H does circles around your TV.

I can't argue if "you" are happy with it.
Enjoy

RaZoR No1

Do they use different panels across their models/sizes?
Unfortunately I dont know.
Afaik all xh90 use VA panels.

Again, I am not trying to start a discussion, because the issue with 4k120Hz is a fact.

If you have a Xbox Series X and Forza Horizon 4, start the game in 4k120Hz mode and look at the buttom descriptions at the buttom of the screen.
You will see stepping/edges on the text, like ClearType is deactivated on Windows.

If you switch to 4k60hz (no need to close the game) the text will be much clearer and smoother.

People who claim, that they dont have the issue, either dont see it (like frame pacing or laggy games or frame drops) or there is really something like a panel lottery, which I dont think is the case here.
Even Panasonic aknowledged the 4k120hz issue and said a fix will be delivered later.
btw: The TV was marketed as a PS5 ready TV, but never it was marketed as 4k120hz only with PS5.
X90J TVs do not have the blur. People assume it is because of the additional Co-processor.

Riky

$MSFT
If a person wants good picture quality and HDR that you can actually notice... they stay away from LG's Nanocell IPS TV's.

The X900H does circles around your TV.

I can't argue if "you" are happy with it.
Enjoy

Does the X900h support VRR or Dolby Vision? Freesync for my PC?
Also I have no blur issue either.
So yeah I'll take the Nanocell every time.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Well ok, but it doesn't matter if you "don't see it", in fact more power to you.
The chip inside the TV simply isn't capable of doing UHD120 at full resolution.
Unfortunately I dont know.
Afaik all xh90 use VA panels.

Again, I am not trying to start a discussion, because the issue with 4k120Hz is a fact.

If you have a Xbox Series X and Forza Horizon 4, start the game in 4k120Hz mode and look at the buttom descriptions at the buttom of the screen.
You will see stepping/edges on the text, like ClearType is deactivated on Windows.

If you switch to 4k60hz (no need to close the game) the text will be much clearer and smoother.

People who claim, that they dont have the issue, either dont see it (like frame pacing or laggy games or frame drops) or there is really something like a panel lottery, which I dont think is the case here.
Even Panasonic aknowledged the 4k120hz issue and said a fix will be delivered later.
btw: The TV was marketed as a PS5 ready TV, but never it was marketed as 4k120hz only with PS5.
X90J TVs do not have the blur. People assume it is because of the additional Co-processor.
So help me out here and I am being 100% serious.

Here is text from Ori running 4k 120 and again this is zoomed in pretty tight from a much larger picture is this what people are considering blurry text?

Because to me in a regular picture it looks great but then again I am 54 years old and my eyes are not what they used to be

kH3BUp9.jpg

RaZoR No1

So help me out here and I am being 100% serious.

Here is text from Ori running 4k 120 and again this is zoomed in pretty tight from a much larger picture is this what people are considering blurry text?

Because to me in a regular picture it looks great but then again I am 54 years old and my eyes are not what they used to be

kH3BUp9.jpg
I cannot speak for Ori, because I havent played it yet (I should do Sudoku because of this sin, but I will play it someday) + a comparision pic of 4k60hz mode is needed.

The modes needs to be changed in System Settings, not in the game itself.

You can see it better on smaller text. Therefore you should try it on FH4

Edit: This Video should help you to see the difference.
If you can see it or not, depends on the games you play and if you are sensibel to those things.

Edit2:
this was the first video

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Very happy with it🙂
All the fuzz about VRR and you have a shit Nanocell TV.
Now I understand why you can't be taken serious.

I was 100% sure from your "claims" that you have a LG OLED lol

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I cannot speak for Ori, because I havent played it yet (I should do Sudoku because of this sin, but I will play it someday) + a comparision pic of 4k60hz mode is needed.

The modes needs to be changed in System Settings, not in the game itself.

You can see it better on smaller text. Therefore you should try it on FH4
I could be wrong but I dont think FH4 runs 4k 120 on Series X which kind of kills this debate imo

RaZoR No1

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Very happy with it🙂

For the record I'm very happy with the x900h. I like the picture quality, the upscaler for lower resolution is also great. And the android chip inside the TV is powerful I managed to install a hacked YouTube without ads as well as a app that allows me to stream the latest TV shows and movies 4K with Dolby Vision support. Some of these files are massive over 60GB videos files being streamed with no issues and super fast. As for 120/4K it works for me however I'll be honest I haven't used it much as I prefer games that are 60fps with better visuals. Only dissapointment is no VRR yet for future games that cant hold framerates. The main reason I want a refund is simply because I may be able to claim full refund after some use I got out of the TV using the lack of VRR support

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The setting on xsx is system wide, like a pc.
It doesn't matter if FH4 runs at UHD60 instead, the xsx will still tell the tv to refresh at 120hz.
No it doesnt, because the Xbox itself runs on 4k120hz and the video output will be 4k120hz, regardless of the game Hz like playing a 30fps game on 60Hz TV.
Theoretically we even should have lower input lag too.

100% get this but my point being that fuzziness is not present in a true 4k 120fps game and setting the Series X to 60 and playing a native 60 fps game fixes fuzziness doesnt sound like the TV halving the resolution.

Guess we can only agree to disagree on this point because one more time that fuzziness is not there in a true 4k 120fps game

S0ULZB0URNE

The only fact is that no proper tests have been done WITH PS5 by any of those famous YT's that claim this.

Users have done there own comparisons which shown different results with PS5's.

that fuzziness is not present in a true 4k 120fps game
but it is.
setting the Series X to 60 and playing a native 60 fps game fixes fuzziness doesnt sound like the TV halving the resolution.
but it does, the chip in the tv can't handle data of a true UHD120 signal, so it gimps the resolution as soon as it detects it; the game being at 60 or 40 or 15 or 120 fps has no bearing on what the TV is doing.

RaZoR No1

The only fact is that no proper tests have been done WITH PS5 by any of those famous YT's that claim this.

Users have done there own comparisons which shown different results with PS5's.
The only fact is, the PS5 does not have a system wide 4k120hz mode?
I mean it doesnt work correctly on Xbox and PC, but if it works with a PS5, everything should be ok then?
100% get this but my point being that fuzziness is not present in a true 4k 120fps game and setting the Series X to 60 and playing a native 60 fps game fixes fuzziness doesnt sound like the TV halving the resolution.

Guess we can only agree to disagree on this point because one more time that fuzziness is not there in a true 4k 120fps game
Gears 5 supports 4k120hz. Check the last article I posted.

S0ULZB0URNE

All the fuzz about VRR and you have a shit Nanocell TV.
Now I understand why you can't be taken serious.

I was 100% sure from your "claims" that you have a LG OLED lol
He owns a Greyish black/glowing blacks LG Nanocell with a peak brightness that's comparable to non 4K TV's from almost 10 years ago.

2018 900F vs a top LG Nanocell

Vasto

This whole time I was thinking it was only blur while trying to play a game at 120FPS. So you telling me I am supposed to see this blur regardless if I am playing a game at 30FPS, 60FPS or 120FPS as long as my Series X is set to 120HZ which it is 100% of the time? Also is this just text or should the entire image on the screen be blurry? :unsure:

Last edited:
Top Bottom