• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K 120hz Firmware rollout begins for Sony X900H / XH90

S0ULZB0URNE

The only fact is, the PS5 does not have a system wide 4k120hz mode?
I mean it doesnt work correctly on Xbox and PC, but if it works with a PS5, everything should be ok then?

Gears 5 supports 4k120hz. Check the last article I posted.
That's irrelevant.
PS5 and those other devices are different. Sony has only ever said 4K/120 PS5.

Gears 5 is NOT true 4K @120 so of course it looks better 4K/60.
I personally find it still amazing in it's pseudo 4K/120 mode.

Riky

$MSFT
For the record I'm very happy with the x900h. I like the picture quality, the upscaler for lower resolution is also great. And the android chip inside the TV is powerful I managed to install a hacked YouTube without ads as well as a app that allows me to stream the latest TV shows and movies 4K with Dolby Vision support. Some of these files are massive over 60GB videos files being streamed with no issues and super fast. As for 120/4K it works for me however I'll be honest I haven't used it much as I prefer games that are 60fps with better visuals. Only dissapointment is no VRR yet for future games that cant hold framerates. The main reason I want a refund is simply because I may be able to claim full refund after some use I got out of the TV using the lack of VRR support

I almost got one myself, but it came down to priorities for gaming for me, like I've told the trolls above several times it isn't my main TV, it's in my back room solely for gaming.
Priority one was VRR, so in the end LG gave me that day one whilst Sony were only promising it.
So it came down to OLED Vs Nanocell as we're talking about October last year and I needed a new set, my Panny Plasma had broke which was an amazing set.
Deciding factor as price wasn't an issue was that my son plays a lot of strategy games on Steam for hours and hours straight, so lots of still images.....didn't want to risk that with OLED.
So it was the only set at that time that actually did everything I wanted it to, that simple.
My lounge TV is a nice Sony 4K HDR 60hz set, that's where I watch movies and TV so in a couple of years when all the HDMI 2.1 stuff is standard and settled I'll probably replace that with an OLED but I'm not in any hurry.

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

That's irrelevant.
PS5 and those other devices are different. Sony has only ever said 4K/120 PS5.

Gears 5 is NOT true 4K @120 so of course it looks better 4K/60.
I personally find it still amazing in it's pseudo 4K/120 mode.
They never mentioned, that this feature is only supported on a PS5...

And somehow you are missing the point.

It is not about if the game looks better or not in 4k120hz compared to 4k60hz.
It is, that at 4k120hz the TV halfes the horizontal resolution and therfore the picture itself in not real 4k anymore.
Let us put the consoles to the side and look at the PCs with RTX30xx and RX6XXX. Even on Desktop it is blurier than normal 4k.
They have all the same issues. And if only this TV and other TVs with the same chipset suffer from this "blur", then it is the fault of the TV. All other TVs, like Samsungs QLED, LG OLED and Nanocell etc. work fine.

And again: If you cannot see it, it is fine and I am even happy for you all, but this does not deny the fact, that the TV is still missing features and the 4k120Hz is not working as it should.

Even with this Issues I still think it is a good TV, but the rival TVs currently are able to support all of the broken/missing features.

Edit :
To show what I mean and how the blur is visible, I even provided you all 3 different videos/articles.
Or try googling xh90 120hz blur, you will find enough evidence

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

They never mentioned, that this feature is only supported on a PS5...

And somehow you are missing the point.

It is not about if the game looks better or not in 4k120hz compared to 4k60hz.
It is, that at 4k120hz the TV halfes the horizontal resolution and therfore the picture itself in not real 4k anymore.
Let us put the consoles to the side and look at the PCs with RTX30xx and RX6XXX. Even on Desktop it is blurier than normal 4k.
They have all the same issues. And if only this TV and other TVs with the same chipset suffer from this "blur", then it is the fault of the TV. All other TVs, like Samsungs QLED, LG OLED and Nanocell etc. work fine.

And again: If you cannot see it, it is fine and I am even happy for you all, but this does not deny the fact, that the TV is still missing features and the 4k120Hz is not working as it should.

Even with this Issues I still think it is a good TV, but the rival TVs currently are able to support all of the broken/missing features.

Edit :
To show what I mean and how the blur is visible, I even provided you all 3 different videos/articles.
Or try googling xh90 120hz blur, you will find enough evidence
Actually Sony did say that the 4K/120 update was for the PS5 in the FW notes.

Everything else you stated has already been addressed by me.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Yeah the top video isn't PS5.

The bottom is comparing Below 4K to 4K so no.

I saw a video someone saying this thing

Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

I have people telling me I have this unit and its not happening to me, even provide a picture of a game's text in real 4k 120fps proving this stair stepping isnt there.

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

Oh well, last post on the subject

FMX

I am sitting here with money in hand but I am not spending 1K+ on a television with a promise of features to come later. What exactly is going on and why are they struggling to do what others have done already as far as full implementation of all 2.1 features including VRR? I only buy SONY televisions because they do deliver the goods despite being a little more expensive. I am considering the X90J or the X95J. I am not touching OLED. I have never really looked at other brands but have the other guys closed the gap with SONY?

Last edited:

SpokkX

It feels weird

i am beginning to doubt the current ps5 will ever support VRR? It has worked on every single game on xbox series s/x since launch on samsung qleds and lg oleds…

That was a weird merge, this thread was for the 120hz firmware update, not the other promised features that are still missing without any real ETA...

ethomaz

Banned
Well when I was posting in another thread it give error and it was merged here so I will just copy the comment here.

I have no ideia.

The A90J was my dream TV with the best of LG OLED panel and the best of the Sony image processor... plus peak brightness ever found in a OLED TV.

But Sony left Brazil and I had to be happy with a LG CX that is not what I wished but it is not far away from the Sony option.

Last edited:
for me i don't see any blur playing rainbow six siage 120fps mode but it's definitely blurry in dirt 5 120fps mode on ps5 , i don't know why !

dotnotbot

for me i don't see any blur playing rainbow six siage 120fps mode but it's definitely blurry in dirt 5 120fps mode on ps5 , i don't know why !

Probably the game itself lowers internal rendering resolution and/or details a lot more in 120 Hz mode than RSS and that's why. Not TV's fault.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
I almost got one myself, but it came down to priorities for gaming for me, like I've told the trolls above several times it isn't my main TV, it's in my back room solely for gaming.
Priority one was VRR, so in the end LG gave me that day one whilst Sony were only promising it.
So it came down to OLED Vs Nanocell as we're talking about October last year and I needed a new set, my Panny Plasma had broke which was an amazing set.
Deciding factor as price wasn't an issue was that my son plays a lot of strategy games on Steam for hours and hours straight, so lots of still images.....didn't want to risk that with OLED.
So it was the only set at that time that actually did everything I wanted it to, that simple.
My lounge TV is a nice Sony 4K HDR 60hz set, that's where I watch movies and TV so in a couple of years when all the HDMI 2.1 stuff is standard and settled I'll probably replace that with an OLED but I'm not in any hurry.

I think going for a NanoCell is a big mistake the picture quality on that set is awful. And putting so much priority in 4K120 for a purchase is a mistake. I had to Google what games support 4K120 and the result was low and even the games that do support it take a massive hit in graphics at which point the extra blur x900h doesn't matter as you have already sacrificed picture quality. Unless you are a PC gamer and using the TV as a monitor then I would out 4K120 as a priority. As for future proofing I just cannot see many games support 120 and if they do I just don't see it being used often sacrificing picture quality. As the generation moves forward and less cross gen games I just can't see games supporting 120 much.

GHG

So help me out here and I am being 100% serious.

Here is text from Ori running 4k 120 and again this is zoomed in pretty tight from a much larger picture is this what people are considering blurry text?

Because to me in a regular picture it looks great but then again I am 54 years old and my eyes are not what they used to be

kH3BUp9.jpg

Some TV's struggle to (or cannot) display chroma 4:4:4 @ 4k 120hz so the fallback will be 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 both of which can result in blurry text dependant on how small the text is and the panel dot-pitch.

S0ULZB0URNE

I saw a video someone saying this thing

Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

I have people telling me I have this unit and its not happening to me, even provide a picture of a game's text in real 4k 120fps proving this stair stepping isnt there.

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

Oh well, last post on the subject

One of the examples of actual comparisons I have seen...

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's either the TV engineers or the PS5 engineers that are holding up the VRR...
Making TV buyers wait for a feature of Playstation most don't own, or Playstation buyers wait for a TV feature for a TV most don't own.. would.. kinda suck

Riky

$MSFT
I think going for a NanoCell is a big mistake the picture quality on that set is awful. And putting so much priority in 4K120 for a purchase is a mistake. I had to Google what games support 4K120 and the result was low and even the games that do support it take a massive hit in graphics at which point the extra blur x900h doesn't matter as you have already sacrificed picture quality. Unless you are a PC gamer and using the TV as a monitor then I would out 4K120 as a priority. As for future proofing I just cannot see many games support 120 and if they do I just don't see it being used often sacrificing picture quality. As the generation moves forward and less cross gen games I just can't see games supporting 120 much.
Number one priority was VRR and Freesync support. It's half used by me for gaming on console and the other half for PC gaming so yes it is basically a monitor. It has better viewing angles than a VA panel and it doesn't wash out the edges for PC use like a VA panel does. It's also in a room with a huge amount of glass in so a very bright room, so black levels are pretty irrelevant. It's not used for TV or movies just gaming.
For me it's excellent but obviously I have a certain set of circumstances and if you want a TV for more general mixed use in a dark room for movies etc then it's not going to be for you.

SpokkX

Been playing Doom Eternal in 120Hz on PS5 on a Sony A90J without any screen tearing or judder. Works great. If all games ran as good as Doom does, VRR would not be a thing.
Try ANY other 120fps game

Eternal is pretty much locked - no other 120fps game is on console (maybe Halo
MCC?)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Bo's post back in March talks about it some more. Claims later this year, and yes, there are issues with the HDMI Forum and tech that impacts all manufacturers.

It's been confirmed officially by Sony UK and other branches that VRR and ALLM is coming to Sony X90H (XH9000/X900H), but for more details: (timestamped)

Seems like Sony USA support team did fucked it up.

And this.

An interview with some UK/EU Bravia execs from the AVForums podcast...

I have watched it all and almost all of the questions asked could be answered by anyone that has read this thread. So no a lot new. The one little bit of info that was interesting is that they claim the wait for VRR is down to the HDMI 2.1. standard for implementing the feature has not been officially completed, and therefore it will only be released once that is done 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Bo's post back in March talks about it some more. Claims later this year, and yes, there are issues with the HDMI Forum and tech that impacts all manufacturers.

And this.

Problem is that all other manufacturers I know of already have VRR/Freesync working, even those who didn't really care about gaming so far like Panasonic.

Last edited:

FMX

Problem is that all other manufacturers I know of already have VRR/Freesync working, even those who didn't really care about gaming so far like Panasonic.
That's the point I was trying to make in my original post. Why is Sony the only one struggling with it? Hell even Hisense has it and they have gone to the point to make a gaming television (U7G). Sony is suppose to be a premium brand but they are being outdone.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's the point I was trying to make in my original post. Why is Sony the only one struggling with it? Hell even Hisense has it and they have gone to the point to make a gaming television (U7G). Sony is suppose to be a premium brand but they are being outdone.
They are not struggling, the spec is. They don't want to release until the board has ironed it out and certified a mutually agreed upon spec. And yes, other manufacturers have bugs and issues even with their versions.

Watch the videos linked, they are timestamped and explain it a bit. The release is scheduled for later this year, and they're not the only ones waiting on the HDMI Forum. The Forum is so slow they only recently cert'ed select 2.1 cables.

Last edited:

Allandor

Has anyone else the Problem with the x900h that the sound (via optical out) stutters every few seconds when the 120Hz Mode is selected and the TV gets a 120Hz signal?
Just played elder scrolls online on my console a few days ago and there were always those strange audio hickups (every 10-20 seconds). After disabling the 120 Hz mode and going back to to 60 Hz the sound-problems are gone.

Last edited:

rnlval

120 hz with VRR enables GPU solution to occasionally miss the 120 hz target without causing a tear. You are wrong.

PS; I have LG NANO91 65 inches with 4K, 120 Hz, VRR, G-Sync, Freesync Premium, Dolby Vision. No "compressed pixels" (aka blur) at 120 hz 4K. OLED has advantages but durability (using as a PC monitor) can be an issue.

Last edited:

rnlval

He owns a Greyish black/glowing blacks LG Nanocell with a peak brightness that's comparable to non 4K TV's from almost 10 years ago.

2018 900F vs a top LG Nanocell

From https://www.sony.com/electronics/su...s-lcd-tvs-android-/xbr-65x900f/specifications
SONY 65X900F has the following
1. Limited to 4K 60hz which is HDMI 2.0b spec.
2. HDR10, HLG, no Dobly Vision.
3. No VRR,
4. No Freesync
5. ARC only... no eARC.

RTX Turing's HDMI 2.0b has VRR/G-Sync 4K 60hz.

LG NANOCELL90 was superseded by NANOCELL91/95

Last edited:

Anki

Banned
2. HDR10, HLG, no Dobly Vision.
I have this TV and it has Dolby Vision. It received it via update.
I know it doesn't have all this hdmi 2.1 features but honestly the image quality is top notch and 4k/60fps is more than enough for me.

S0ULZB0URNE

rnlval

It still looks better than any Nanocell TV.
LG NANOCELL's 4K 120 hz does NOT blur like Sony's fake 4K 120 hz competition. "It still looks better than any Nanocell TV" is false.

Sony X900f is a VA panel

Sony X900f doesn't include Dolby Vision IQ.

LG NANOCELL91 includes Dolby Vision IQ in addition to Dolby Vision.

Last edited:

rnlval

I have this TV and it has Dolby Vision. It received it via update.
I know it doesn't have all this hdmi 2.1 features but honestly the image quality is top notch and 4k/60fps is more than enough for me.

The focus on HDMI 2.1 VRR + AMD FreeSync Premium + NVIDIA G-Sync, ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode), and 120 hz is for games as per PCMR standard.

dotnotbot

LG NANOCELL's 4K 120 hz does NOT blur like Sony's fake 4K 120 hz competition. "It still looks better than any Nanocell TV" is false.

Sony X900f is a VA panel

Sony X900f doesn't include Dolby Vision IQ.

LG NANOCELL91 includes Dolby Vision IQ in addition to Dolby Vision.

It's not false, he meant far superior contrast with local dimming and high brightness vs shitty edge lit IPS. It looks miles better, slight blur or not, there's just no contest in HDR picture quality between these 2. It's kinda baffling listing DV IQ as an advantage on LG when it has poor HDR performance in the first place.

Remember that HDR/DV is an absolute standard always mastered to be viewed in a controlled environment - pitch black room. It requires as much contrast as you can get so VA (or OLED of course) panel is pretty much essential, IPS even with thousands of dimming zones will always have horrible blooming and super compressed near-black details due to low contrast.

Viewing HDR content in a bright room is pointless. You're losing almost all the advantage High Dynamic Range gives you, especially in the lower end of range. You can't make up for that with TV settings or DV IQ.

Last edited:

SpokkX

I have a X900H and have not noticed any tearing on Cold War MP and Warzone running 120fps on PS5.
Well YOU have not noticed

warzone drops all over the place on ps5

I sure notice it - perhaps you are one of those that dont see or feel drops. Lucky you

VRR is NEEDED for 120fps on consoles in MOST scenarios

Last edited:

MikeM

Well YOU have not noticed

warzone drops all over the place on ps5

I sure notice it - perhaps you are one of those that dont see or feel drops. Lucky you

VRR is NEEDED for 120fps on consoles in MOST scenarios

I am aware there are drops. My point was that I didn't see screen tearing. Even with the video posted, I don't see any noticeable tearing. Or am I just blind to it on this game/video?

Top Bottom