• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

VulcanRaven

I got this from Eureka:
3Ppfist.jpg

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I just got some movies on BR that I've wanted for a while. Every now and then, the local bookstore has a fill-a-bag for $20 on used movies. Easily fit about 80 movies or so in a bag. Although I got more books than movies this time.

Rush2112

Banned
What's the general opinion on 4k vs. Bluray? Been watching some comparison youtube videos on a 4k oled tv and for most movies there doesn't seem to be that much difference.

kunonabi

What's the general opinion on 4k vs. Bluray? Been watching some comparison youtube videos on a 4k oled tv and for most movies there doesn't seem to be that much difference.
It really depends on the movie. Sometimes it's transformative, sometimes it's a slight upgrade, and sometimes the blu-ray is actually better.

Akuji

Many Atmos/DTS:X Sound formats are only avaiable on UHD. So theres that. For me sound is about 100x more important then Picture.

Then Youtube as a medium is incapable of demonstrating the diffrences because the biggest diffrence is HDR, wider range or color. YouTube has a sucky way of compressing youtube and either theres HDR enabled, then the BluRay is not native or it isnt HDR then the UHD is not native.
The comparison also is completly useless ( i watch them as well for a few things, like resolution or something but i have in mind that its basicly useless )

So you have to make up your mind yourself. There are many, many bad UHD discs out there which are just poorly upscaled BluRay discs so you have to inform yourself with 3rd party websites that test those Discs and tell u what are good and what are bad UHD discs.

Sanctuary

For me it's mainly about the audio. Sometimes you can get an object based format on Blu-ray, but those are very uncommon. Secondarily it's for the HDR. Depending on the transfers though, sometimes it doesn't make much of a difference and a great looking Blu-ray transfer of the same film on 4K can look nearly the same at a casual glance to an average 4K transfer. Resolution? It's pretty much a non-factor. When the truly amazing 4K transfers happen there is a difference, but since the majority of the "4K" discs aren't actually native 4K and just upscales, it's extremely hard to notice any difference at all, if there even is any even at six and a half feet from a 77''.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I think the difference is big. Stream some 4K movies on Disney Plus or rent on Apple TV to get some idea. Try both new and older movies.

Last edited:

Sanctuary

I think the difference is big. Stream some 4K movies on Disney Plus or rent on Apple TV to get some idea. Try both new and older movies.

The "4K" streams barely ever even look as good as a 1080p disc outside of having HDR, which is pretty much all they'd be gaining out of it. Disney+ is notorious for using fake HDR as well, and sometimes their color grading/HDR combination is baffling. Take the Willow series for example. There are so many scenes that are ridiculously dark, and you can barely see what's going on. There are large portions of episodes like that, and it just looks terrible. In general, Netflix still on average has the highest quality when it comes to shows with HDR, with Apple being better or worse depending on the show.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Christopher Reeve Superman sequels are coming to 4K Blu-Ray. UK is getting this great looking steelbook set:

14272832-3765029655922510.jpg

Edit: Other countries get it too.

Last edited:
62mSnnQ.jpg

4K restoration from the original negative approved by Terry Gilliam
4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
Original 5.1 & 2.0 DTS-HD Master Audio
Optional subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Feature commentary by Terry Gilliam, moderated by Phil Stubbs
Savage: Finding The American Nightmare, an appreciation by film historian Ian Christie
The Gonzo Papers, an interview with producer Laila Nabulsi
Grim Memories & Bad Flashbacks, an interview with star Benicio del Toro
Ignore This Terrible Drug: The Art and Style of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, a featurette including interviews with cinematographer Nicola Pecorini, production designer Alex McDowall, costume designer Julie Weiss and editor Lesley Walker
Four deleted scenes with optional commentary by Gilliam, including the excised prologue A Dress Pattern
Spotlight on Location, an original promotional featurette featuring interviews with Gilliam, Depp and del Toro
Behind the scenes 'B-roll' footage and additional EPK interviews with Gilliam, Depp and del Toro
Theatrical trailers and TV spots
Extensive image galleries, including original production designs, storyboards and production stills
Reversible sleeve featuring two artwork choices
Illustrated collector's booklet featuring writing on the film by Roger Keen and original production notes
Limited Edition slipcover featuring Ralph Steadman's classic illustration Bats Over Barstow

Picked up the 4K Steelbook of Training Day today. I don't use the digital codes so first person to DM me can have it.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm going to pick up some discs tomorrow.

Definitely getting the 4K versions of Dracula (1992) and An American Werewolf in London.

Possibly also getting A Field in England and La Dolce Vita on blu ray.

IDKFA

Looks like we're getting 4K discs of Titanic, True Lies, The Abyss and the first Avatar film this year.

Hope this is true.

Ulysses 31

Looks like we're getting 4K discs of Titanic, True Lies, The Abyss and the first Avatar film this year.

Hope this is true.

Still no Aliens...

iu

IDKFA

Still no Aliens...

iu

Nope. Nothing on the rumour mill either.

Disney might release it whenever they release their TV series (2024?), or they might just not bother at all. Who knows with Disney.

Aliens and Alien 3 (not sure about the rest) would do decent numbers on 4K. If they don't want to do it themselves then let somebody like Arrow Video produce a full 4K collection of the first 4 films.

Edit****

YT is spying on me. Looks like there is a small glimmer of hope.

Last edited:

Hope this is true.

I bet they're trash transfers like Terminator 2 Judgment Day.😔

Given that Avatar 2 is coming in with a 200nits HDR10 UHD release (if the Apple store digital version is something to go by), I think all of Cameron's UHD's are going to be DNR infested, low effort, trash releases.
I'll be shocked if they get the special treatment. Such a travesty that films like this don't get the respect they so rightly deserve.

WoodyStare

Kino Lorber currently having a spring sale. Lots of great stuff here:

Free shipping with orders $50 or more. Picked up the 4K’s of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Paths of Glory, and The Killing.

Aggelos

It seems like things are in motion

gm8NGky.png

1FYgB50.jpg

"Avatar: The Way of Water is available on Blu-Ray on June 20, when the 2009 original Avatar will also be offered in 4K UHD for the first time."

"20th Century Studios sets James Cameron’s AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER for Blu-ray, DVD, Blu-ray 3D & 4K on 6/20, plus AVATAR joins it on Ultra HD"

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It seems like things are in motion

gm8NGky.png

"Avatar: The Way of Water is available on Blu-Ray on June 20, when the 2009 original Avatar will also be offered in 4K UHD for the first time."

I don't love these movies, but holy hell are they gorgeous to look at. I'll get them on 4k.

LordCBH

I got a new 4k tv and want a movie that will look really nice on it. I ordered Tenet yesterday. Anything else I should grab? Preferably somewhat cheap?

I got a new 4k tv and want a movie that will look really nice on it. I ordered Tenet yesterday. Anything else I should grab? Preferably somewhat cheap?
Tenet is awesome for the IMAX scenes (full screen, no black bars). Also highly recommend Interstellar, The Dark Knight Rises - really any Nolan movie. Also Blade Runner 2049 and Dune (this one doesn't have the imax scenes sadly). Low key, Sicario has been one of my favorite 4k releases

LordCBH

Tenet is awesome for the IMAX scenes (full screen, no black bars). Also highly recommend Interstellar, The Dark Knight Rises - really any Nolan movie. Also Blade Runner 2049 and Dune (this one doesn't have the imax scenes sadly). Low key, Sicario has been one of my favorite 4k releases

It took me a while to decide between Tenet, Dunkirk, and Interstellar, and I ultimately went with the movie that I haven’t seen. I saw Amazon has the 4k blu ray of Alita battle angel for like $8. I love the movie, but how is the 4k version?

It took me a while to decide between Tenet, Dunkirk, and Interstellar, and I ultimately went with the movie that I haven’t seen. I saw Amazon has the 4k blu ray of Alita battle angel for like $8. I love the movie, but how is the 4k version?
If you like Alita Battle Angel give Ghost in The Shell a go.

Top Bottom