• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

Spartacus 4K Blu-ray July 21 (U.S.)

11817_tn.jpg

• 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM
  • DOLBY VISION/HDR10 PRESENTATIONS OF THE FILM
  • ENGLISH DTS:X AUDIO TRACK

Skyr

Seeing this thread I was reminded that we are still awaiting the Back to the Future 4k release this year. Really can't wait for it..
I hope they will release a worthy collectors edition.
Can't find any recent news on it tho besides the initial annoucement from last year. Guess it will be In October for the anniversary.

sol_bad

I'm kind of happy I don't own the original 3 Indiana Jones films on blu ray. Will be getting them on 4K asap when they get released.

Lawrence of Arabia 4K Blu-ray Review
For its UHD release, Lawrence of Arabia has been split between two discs: part one runs 2:19:23 and part two 1:27:38. Sony's 2160p/Dolby Vision UHD is every bit the filmic wonder one expects it to be, that the film needs to be. It's difficult to imagine the film ever looking any better than this. Sony's presentation practically defies written definition; it truly must be seen to be believed.

Make no mistake, the 2012 Blu-ray still holds its own as one of the finest on that format, but this UHD is something else. It's transformative in all the best ways, a picture-perfect breath-taker that is as expected: a new reference image for the UHD format and proof of physical media's viability, and necessity, in delivering an epic in the most perfect way possible.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 4K Blu-ray Review

Parasite 4K Blu-ray Review

kunonabi

Had to cancel my columbia collection order due to hail damage and a refrigerator repairs. At least I picked up Jaws which looked great and is still a damn fine film. Zombie indeed looked fantastic. So weird watching old genre films that dont look like mud.

Siri

Banned
I bought a Sony X700 uhd player for my 55 inch LG C9, and last night watched my first 4K film, 1917, which was stunning - the only problem was that sometimes I’d see this weird blur that would effect certain parts of the screen. It’s difficult to describe, but if you know what it’s like to have a floater in your eye the image anomaly would be akin to that.

Does anyone here know what I’m talking about- and how to fix it?

Cinema Paradiso 4K Blu-ray September 2020

88665643-e821-4ebd-8b66-981045ec9329.jpg

• DOLBY VISION/HDR10 PRESENTATION OF THE 124-MINUITE THEATRICAL VERSION OF THE FILM
  • High Definition(1080p) presentation of the 174 minute Director's Cut
  • Uncompressed original stereo 2.0 Audio and 5.1 surround sound options
  • Optional English subtitles
  • Audio commentary with director Giuseppe Tornatore and Italian cinema expert critic Millicent Marcus
  • A Dream of Sicily – A 52-minute documentary profile of Giuseppe Tornatore featuring interviews with the director and extracts from his early home movies as well as interviews with director Francesco Rosi and painter Peppino Ducato, set to music by the legendary Ennio Morricone
  • A Bear and a Mouse in Paradise – A 27-minute documentary on the making of Cinema Paradiso and the characters of Toto and Alfredo, featuring interviews the actors who play them, Philippe Noiret and Salvatore Cascio as well as Tornatore
  • The Kissing Sequence – Giuseppe Tornatore discusses the origins of the kissing scenes with clips identifying each scene
  • Original Director's Cut Theatrical Trailer and 25th Anniversary Re-Release Trailer

Last edited:

Amory

Recently got the 4K tv. Now I just need a player. What’s a good price to pay for one?
It depends what features you need. If your TV supports Dolby Vision or HDR10+ then obviously you'll want a player that supports those as well and they're a little pricier.

I have a Sony UBPX700 which you can find for around $150. At the time I bought it, it was the cheapest Dolby Vision player but that might not be true anymore.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Game of Thrones is getting the full 4K box set treatment for £250, or whatever that is in dollars. I think they're all upscales, though.

91Yt57bjwiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I've been waiting for this. I've never seen GOT, I'm ready to be disappointed! Westworld Season 3 comes out in November too.

You're in for 4 seasons of fantastic adult fantasy, followed by a gradual decline, albeit with some shining moments, from mediocrity into utter shit. Enjoy!

Ghost in the Shell (1995) 4K Blu-ray September 8 (U.S)

• NEW 4K REMASTER OF THE FILM
  • DOLBY VISION PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
  • JAPANESE AND ENGLISH DOLBY ATMOS AUDIO TRACKS, plus Japanese 2.0 LPCM Audio, and English Descriptive Audio
  • NEW, Full-length audio commentary of Ghost in the Shell with Mary Claypool (Animation Writer and English Language Scriptwriter), Eric Calderon (Animation Producer and Writer), Richard Epcar (Voice of "Batou"), and Charles Solomon (Animation Historian and Critic)
  • NEW "Accessing Section 9: 25 Years into the Future" Featurette
  • NEW "Landscapes & Dreamscapes: The Art and Architecture of Ghost in the Shell" Featurette
  • Production Report & Digital Works Featuretes
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Fan-favorite commemorative artwork from pop illustrator Martin Ansin
  • Optional English, English SDH and Spanish subtitles for the main feature
  • Blu-ray audio status: Japanese 2.0 PCM Audio, English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio

12021_tn.jpg

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
My 4k player is an annoying, incompetent piece of shit and I want someone to ask me about it.

And it's fucking Samsung too.

Grinchy

Banned
Batman Begins felt like a pretty awful 4K/HDR bluray. I assume that's the consensus? Joker looked so amazing that it hurt even more to watch BB after it.

Yes, it appears that Disney currently has no plans for more Live action catalog on physical 4K
Early last week, I started to receive word from retail and industry sources that Disney had made an internal decision to suspend the 4K Ultra HD release of live action catalog titles from both their own vaults and those of their newly acquired 20th Century Fox label.

In essence, my sources said, beyond new release theatrical titles, animated fare from Disney and Pixar, or Star Wars and Marvel-related projects, there were no plans at the studio going forward to release titles on physical 4K Ultra HD—future releases would be 4K Digital only.

The exception seems to be James Cameron’s Avatar, which Disney is banking on heavily. To keep Cameron happy, there might be a chance that the studio will release the likes of Aliens, the original Avatar, True Lies, and The Abyss on physical 4K at some point in the future. But they seem to be in no rush to do so, nor—as fans have become painfully aware in recent years—does Cameron himself seem to be promoting it.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Bit annoying, but at least I know it's safe to get catalogue titles of theirs on blu ray. In actual fact, I have the majority of catalogue titles on blu ray that I want from them already, and I have no need or want to upgrade them to 4k.

Last edited:
Top Bottom