• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

Breathless 4K Blu-ray November 9

274720_front-jpg.481801

12078_tn.jpg

V for Vendetta 4K Blu-ray

12080_tn.jpg

Last edited:

kunonabi

Impressions?

HDR looks great. Police uniforms, vehicles, Chunk's red jacket all really pop. The shots lit by the setting sun and light shining through caves all look excellent. I do think there is some DNR going on though. Grain seems almost nonexistent for the whole movie and faces dont have tons of detail typically. I might just be imagining things but considering the scenes after the pirate ship look much different with a healthy amount of grain and facial detail I dont think I am.

The movie looks really soft alot of the time but there is still some added worthwhile detail to be seen.

It's easily the best I've seen it look but most of my viewings were broadcast TV, vhs, and the old dvd. Overall I'm quite pleased with it.

Amory

Just watched The Hateful Eight again last night and was reminded that it was originally shot on 70mm film to allow all the characters to be on screen simultaneously.

Really hope we see a UHD release someday to take advantage of the source, maybe as part of a larger Tarantino collection.

kunonabi

Beetlejuice really was gorgeous. My copy of Ghost in the Shell 4k came in so hopefully it's another winner. I hear it has the usual Anime DNR but hopefully it isn't too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

kunonabi

So happy more Carpenter films are hitting 4K. I passed on all the blu-ray releases so this is exactly what I've been waiting for.

Picked up Emma. on Blu-ray since it was sale on amazon. No slipcover which kind of sucks though. I also grabbed Children of the Sea. Wasn't huge fan of the latter on my first viewing but who knows maybe it will click on another viewing.

Ghost in the Shell turned out great by the way.

I know this is crazy since this is a 4k thread but anyone else feel like 1080 blu ray is good enough for them when it comes to old films? 4K is beautiful, great for new movies, but the restoration work required for a lot of classics to look good on it is immense. Heck so many of my favorite films don't even have good 1080p transfers, and probably never will. With every new format less films get released...

kunonabi

I know this is crazy since this is a 4k thread but anyone else feel like 1080 blu ray is good enough for them when it comes to old films? 4K is beautiful, great for new movies, but the restoration work required for a lot of classics to look good on it is immense. Heck so many of my favorite films don't even have good 1080p transfers, and probably never will. With every new format less films get released...

Some films benefit more than others and a good 1080P transfer can be stunning. Ringu's latest Blu-ray release is friggin gorgeous for example.

Some films benefit more than others and a good 1080P transfer can be stunning. Ringu's latest Blu-ray release is friggin gorgeous for example.
I actually think the 2015 blu ray transfer of Terminator 2 is as good as it's ever going to look. The 4k trashes the film grain, and oversharpens the film. There's also some examples of 4K downscaled to 1080p blu rays with some of my Hong Kong movies but even then old films are just kind of soft so again, it's diminishing returns.

kunonabi

I actually think the 2015 blu ray transfer of Terminator 2 is as good as it's ever going to look. The 4k trashes the film grain, and oversharpens the film. There's also some examples of 4K downscaled to 1080p blu rays with some of my Hong Kong movies but even then old films are just kind of soft so again, it's diminishing returns.

It just depends on how well the restoration and transfer is done, really. Some 4Ks are an improvement and some are just worse.

It just depends on how well the restoration and transfer is done, really. Some 4Ks are an improvement and some are just worse.
I mean if every single new transfer of my favs were done by Criterion, Eureka, or Arrow Video then I'd be all over it for sure. But the reality is just so many are sloppy. It's like why bother? Physical media esp 4K pretty much only caters to the hardcore/niche at this point, who are super nitpicky. How can anyone get away with less than an amazing transfer and expect to make money?

kunonabi

I mean if every single new transfer of my favs were done by Criterion, Eureka, or Arrow Video then I'd be all over it for sure. But the reality is just so many are sloppy. It's like why bother? Physical media esp 4K pretty much only caters to the hardcore/niche at this point, who are super nitpicky. How can anyone get away with less than an amazing transfer and expect to make money?

On the whole things are getting more consistent but sometimes it comes down to the source or in some cases director tinkering, etc.

Harlock

Anyone change the Home Theater receiver after upgrading the TV for 4K HDR? Or find a solution where you connect the HDMI directly in the TV and send back the sound into the receiver?

Hi guys. I've been interested in 4K for a while now but I never upgraded as I didn't feel there was enough content. My first Blu Ray player was a PS3 and after doing some research I soon bought a plasma TV. I loved it, but watching any DVD content became impossible for me because it looked so awful on my new TV.

This is what has kept me from upgrading to 4K so far, as the lack of content meant most movies and shows were still in 1080. I feared experiencing the same, only worse as now there was a smaller library and smaller release scheduele compared to back then.

It looks like 4K is finally starting to catch on now and I'm glad because I'll be getting a UHD player with the PS5 and am looking at getting a CX sometime soon. I want to ask, what are my options as far as viewing HD content? Is it as bad as viewing DVD on HD panels? I imagine upscaling must do a much better job now. I don't want to give up on Blu Ray as most stuff is still only released in HD. Am I worrying to much about it?

kunonabi

Hi guys. I've been interested in 4K for a while now but I never upgraded as I didn't feel there was enough content. My first Blu Ray player was a PS3 and after doing some research I soon bought a plasma TV. I loved it, but watching any DVD content became impossible for me because it looked so awful on my new TV.

This is what has kept me from upgrading to 4K so far, as the lack of content meant most movies and shows were still in 1080. I feared experiencing the same, only worse as now there was a smaller library and smaller release scheduele compared to back then.

It looks like 4K is finally starting to catch on now and I'm glad because I'll be getting a UHD player with the PS5 and am looking at getting a CX sometime soon. I want to ask, what are my options as far as viewing HD content? Is it as bad as viewing DVD on HD panels? I imagine upscaling must do a much better job now. I don't want to give up on Blu Ray as most stuff is still only released in HD. Am I worrying to much about it?

Good tvs will upscale the blu-rays really well and they'll still look great on a 4K set most of the time. I dont think I've had any issues with any of my old blu-rays to be honest.

Top Bottom