• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

Good tvs will upscale the blu-rays really well and they'll still look great on a 4K set most of the time. I dont think I've had any issues with any of my old blu-rays to be honest.
But will you get a better experience watching BluRays on a 1080 TV? Is it worth keeping a TV for just that? I'm looking to get an LG CX if that makes a difference. And my current TV is a Pioneer plasma.

kunonabi

But will you get a better experience watching BluRays on a 1080 TV? Is it worth keeping a TV for just that? I'm looking to get an LG CX if that makes a difference. And my current TV is a Pioneer plasma.

I'd say my movies look better on my 4K but the 1080P TV I have is pretty old so I don't think it's a super fair comparison. That said, from what I'm seeing online most people seem to think they look on better on 4Ks assuming the 4K set is of good quality.

If you own a Pioneer plasma TV you should probably keep it regardless though. I think those are kind of rare these days aren't they?

I'd say my movies look better on my 4K but the 1080P TV I have is pretty old so I don't think it's a super fair comparison. That said, from what I'm seeing online most people seem to think they look on better on 4Ks assuming the 4K set is of good quality.

If you own a Pioneer plasma TV you should probably keep it regardless though. I think those are kind of rare these days aren't they?
I think so. I don't know how long it's going to last though, I've used it a lot over the past decade. I'd still like to keep it, It's a great TV.

An American Werewolf in London 4K Blu-ray November 6 (Germany)
Limited Edition 2,626 sets (sold out)

american-werewolf-4k.jpg

american-werewolf-4k-2.jpg

Last edited:
Damn I hate that I bought the Star Wars 4k set its so hard to take the disks out ,never again will I buy any movie set that using this way to hold their disks ,ended up selling it and waiting to buy the single 4k blurays maybe during blackfriday sale.
Star-Wars-Set.jpg

teezzy

Banned
I didnt even realize we had a thread like this! I still buy DVDs to watch on my old TVs which I never shut up about.

Here's my most recent pickups, where I bought full series collections of the following:

20201006-175119.jpg

Pirates of Dark Water
David Lynch's Dumbland
Thundercats
Hockey: A People's History

I've already started Pirates and Thundercats during my lunch breaks here at work. Gonna move onto the others once I wrap those up.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy & The Hobbit Trilogy 4K Blu-ray December 1 (U.S.), December 3 (Germany)

6420422_sa.jpg

Inject it directly into my eyes.

December release is absolutely perfect. Will import this if it's not available in the UK for comfy Christmas watching.

I already got a WETA gold ring replica from Barnes and Noble for 20 bucks (was $100, does not fit but may out it on the dog)

What I need to know is this: what is the low end potential price for such a 4k UHD set that starts at $90? About $45. I am pretty price sensitive for movies, but this an Pacific Rim were the only two movies I didnt plan to wait until they hit 5-10 dollars.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I already got a WETA gold ring replica from Barnes and Noble for 20 bucks (was $100, does not fit but may out it on the dog)

What I need to know is this: what is the low end potential price for such a 4k UHD set that starts at $90? About $45. I am pretty price sensitive for movies, but this an Pacific Rim were the only two movies I didnt plan to wait until they hit 5-10 dollars.
Depends how long you are willing to wait?

I guess it has been 2 decades already. Fine. Preordered.

I haven't seen the second video yet, but the first one is interesting. The way he describes it initially is pretty negative; "Not 4K crisp, more like a very good Blu-Ray." Yet he still gave the video an 8 which is strange. Aside from that though, why would it not be "4K crisp"? It seems like an important enough title for them to give it a proper release. From what I've seen over the last few month, some smaller boutique labels have been doing a great job with some titles. I'd imagine they'd have a smaller budget to work with, yet they seem to be doing it ok. I understand the source is important, but this was filmed on 35mm, so I'd imagine they're ok there. Is it just a case of them not caring enough to do a better job?

I say all this without having watched any 4K titles yet. I've just been reading up a bit and buying a few titles for when I get a PS5 next month.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It seems like an important enough title for them to give it a proper release.

Unfortunately not the case. The 4K Goodfellas is notoriously dogshit, and that's Goodfellas of all things.

If you're new to 4K discs I would strongly recommend Blade Runner, Lawrence of Arabia and The Wizard of Oz as examples of old movies that look insane when handled properly, given their age. For newer stuff, it's really hard to go wrong with Planet Earth, and Blade Runner 2049 and Mad Max Fury Road are great examples too. Those are all relatively cheap now that they've been out a while.

Unfortunately not the case. The 4K Goodfellas is notoriously dogshit, and that's Goodfellas of all things.

If you're new to 4K discs I would strongly recommend Blade Runner, Lawrence of Arabia and The Wizard of Oz as examples of old movies that look insane when handled properly, given their age. For newer stuff, it's really hard to go wrong with Planet Earth, and Blade Runner 2049 and Mad Max Fury Road are great examples too. Those are all relatively cheap now that they've been out a while.

I've got both Blade Runner films. I'd like to get Lawrence of Arabia as I've still not seen it. I'm kind of glad as I'll get to experience it like I wouldn't have before. I may get Wizard of Oz, but it's not at the top of my list right now. I'd like to try out the Dark Side of the Moon thing one day though lol. Fury Road is on my list too. That was one of the best experiences I ever had in cinema, can't wait to see it in 4K.

I just got Predator, Guillermo del Toro's Hellboy and Apocalypse Now. Seems like there's a third cut now and I still haven't seen Redux.

Reactions: AV

Audiophile

Just ordered the Studio Canal UK 4K UHD of The Fifth Element.

I Imported the US Sony back in 2018 and it was enjoyable at the time, but the UK SC smokes it.

UK SC // More accurate, warmer colour palette, firmer finer grain and no additional sharpening filters (outside those baked into the FX). Plus Dolby Vision, much higher bitrate and a BD-100 disc. Also includes a remastered 1080p BD-50.

US Sony // Looks video-ish by comparison, colour palette ranging from heavily neutralised to cool, softer, chunkier grain and clear sharpening. Also only has HDR10 and a BD-66 with relatively low bitrate (a lot more encoding errors slipping through the net with poorer delineation of lines and fine shadows) Lots of chromatic noise undermining the grain field.

kunonabi

My back to the future set finally arrived since it got delayed by some bug with target. Rambo making it into UMK11 also spurred me to grab First Blood part II and Rambo III 4K.

Now if only they would announce Last Blood 4K with the full cut.

Amory

Bought a bunch from Amazon today. Some great deals, I guess they were price matching a Best Buy sale.

Goonies - $9.99
Full Metal Jacket - $9.99
Rocketman - $7.99
Birds of Prey - $7.99

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
With lotor coming out my "holy grail" title in 4k hdr has been released. What's left for you guys? Aliens is the next big one I can think of for me. I'd also love to see Legend.

Amory

With lotor coming out my "holy grail" title in 4k hdr has been released. What's left for you guys? Aliens is the next big one I can think of for me. I'd also love to see Legend.
I'd like to see the Godfather trilogy released on UHD. I'm sure it's coming. The 50th anniversary is coming up in 2022, but I'd be surprised if we have to wait that long.

I'd also like to see the full catalog of Tarantino movies on 4k. Particularly The Hateful Eight, because it was shot on 65mm film and I'd just like to see how that transfer looks

Last edited:

AV

I'd like to see the Godfather trilogy released on UHD. I'm sure it's coming. The 50th anniversary is coming up in 2022, but I'd be surprised if we have to wait that long.

I'd also like to see the full catalog of Tarantino movies on 4k. Particularly The Hateful Eight, because it was shot on 65mm film and I'd just like to see how that transfer looks

Coppola just released his final cut of Part 3, so yeah, I imagine he was waiting on that before signing off on anything.

Tarantino, too, might be waiting until he releases his "final" film. Whether you believe his 10th really is his final, well, that's up to you. Hell, it's not even his 10th, he just claims that Kill Bill is one movie.

AV

LOTR 4K are the first UHDs I've seen sell out on Amazon. Says something about the power of those movies and new 4K capable consoles.

AV

Half my Christmas haul just showed up! Still waiting on Spartacus, The Invisible Man and Once Upon a Time In Hollywood. Oh, and LOTR 4K from another store.

dCyh5bL.jpg

deafmedal

Half my Christmas haul just showed up! Still waiting on Spartacus, The Invisible Man and Once Upon a Time In Hollywood. Oh, and LOTR 4K from another store.

dCyh5bL.jpg
Nice!
I’m just waiting on Total Recall otherwise the rest of my sale time haul is finished:
Requiem for a Dream
V for Vendetta
Ghost in the Shell (anime)
John Wick 3
Bumblebee
Joker
Scarface
Color Out of Space*
The Shining
The Gentlemen
Gremlins
Gemini Man*
Aquaman
Shazam
Spider-Man Far From Home
* haven’t seen yet

I wish I would have waited for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, the steel book price was great. I enjoyed the movie so bought at full price at release... I reckon we should do that ever so often so they’ll keep making these things 😂

Not bad for a little over $200 imo, ‘bout $12.50 apiece ‘fore tax on average. Only reason I haven’t got LotR yet is I gotta get through these first!

AV

Nice!
I’m just waiting on Total Recall otherwise the rest of my sale time haul is finished:
Requiem for a Dream
V for Vendetta
Ghost in the Shell (anime)
John Wick 3
Bumblebee
Joker
Scarface
Color Out of Space*
The Shining
The Gentlemen
Gremlins
Gemini Man*
Aquaman
Shazam
Spider-Man Far From Home
* haven’t seen yet

I wish I would have waited for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, the steel book price was great. I enjoyed the movie so bought at full price at release... I reckon we should do that ever so often so they’ll keep making these things 😂

Not bad for a little over $200 imo, ‘bout $12.50 apiece ‘fore tax on average. Only reason I haven’t got LotR yet is I gotta get through these first!

Good stuff man. A few of those are on my Christmas list since relatives never know what to get me (I don't even want anything) but I picked mine up for, yeah, about $12.50 a piece in US money.

kunonabi

Nice hauls.

Sadly, I wasnt able to hit the sales so my Christmas is just going to be:

Beverly Hills Cop 4k
Blade 4k
Total Recall 4k
Paranoia Agent
From Up on Poppy Hill re-release
The Curse of Frankenstein

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I really worry about the declining sales of physical media.

Getting films on digital download is a pain in the dick.

What I would like is for there to be a store that sells every movie and TV show known to mankind. Currently it's all over the place, well in the UK anyway.

Let's take the Playstore for example. No Kingdom of Heaven directors cut, The Fountain, Dog Soldiers, Japanese Godzilla films, Zatoichi (2003), Come and See, A Field in England........ basically some of my favourite films of all time are just not up for purchase on Google's store front.

I haven't checked Apple or Amazon, but god damn if physical fails, loads of movies are going to be lost to the second hand market or lost to history.

I also wonder if buying 4K is worth it now. How long until 8K movies come along and I have to buy Lord of the Rings for a 4th time!

deafmedal

I also wonder if buying 4K is worth it now. How long until 8K movies come along and I have to buy Lord of the Rings for a 4th time!
We had a decent VHS and DVD collection but didn’t bother too much with Blu Ray so when we upgraded to 4K a few years back it wasn’t as painful and I’ve been careful when re-purchasing to try and not pay full price. I was mostly fine with streaming during 720/1080 but hot damn these 4K discs just look great! Apple’s 4K streaming is pretty decent and having the convenience available (and price!) is welcome but for this reason and that I am more interested in physical. My wife wants me to look into how we can more permanently hold some of the digital stuff we have JIC so I’ll probably start working on that.

8K ain’t happening here any time soon, I think even if I add up all the tv’s I’ve bought in the two decades prior to the two 4K sets we’ve bought the old sets still come out cheaper. (technically 3 but I don’t really count the cheap TCL I picked up while on the road for work)

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Tenet steelbook 4K arrives in a couple weeks. Will be my first time seeing the movie. Looking forward to it.

Got Home Alone this week. It'll be the first time I've seen it in years.

Top Bottom