• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I put a slew of my fav movies on Amazon wishlist as I want to build my 4k library. Up to right now I only have a couple I bought a few years ago.

Man, they're still mostly around $30 cdn each.

I never knew there was an awesome T2 robot arm edition that came out a while ago. Damn.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Watched the Arrow 4K Tremors restoration tonight that my in-laws got me for Christmas, looks absolutely fantastic. Strongly recommend although it's pricier than others as it comes with all the extra physical crap. Will probably sell and just pick up the disc on its own on eBay.

Also, is Tremors a perfect movie? Am I just realising this now? It's faultless, not trying to make a real stretch of a joke there. I can't pick out a single flaw, it executes everything flawlessly.

Speaking of 4K, we have sufficient word from our studio and industry sources to add a number of new or re-confirmed titles to our 4K Ultra HD Release List as coming in 2021, including Zack Snyder’s Justice League (TBA March), Wonder Woman 1984 (TBA April), A Clockwork Orange, Gravity, The Shawshank Redemption, Space Jam: 25th Anniversary, and Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory: 50th Anniversary (all TBA 2021) from Warner, Soul (TBA April) from Disney and Pixar, News of the World and Greenland (TBA February or March) from Universal, and Monster Hunter, Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV (both due 3/30), Snatch, Last Action Hero (both TBA May), Looper, The Guns of Navarone, and Drive (TBA 2021). Do keep in mind that all of these dates are to be considered unofficial and subject to change.

Source

give me my fuckin The Limey 4k disc already wtf
The 4K DV stream looks great.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Just received my akira and tremors 4k blurays had to send a email to funimation for the akira 4k since there’s an error we’re the disk isn’t in hdr.

Akira is pretty awesome too, not sure it's worth the price of the big box set to keep though, it's a watch-and-eBay job for me

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Here’s the majority of my Xmas haul, still have about 4 or 5 left to arrive.

m2sGDs0.jpg

First Row:

Heathers
The Thing
An American Werewolf In London
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)
Hell Comes To Frogtown
The Burbs
The Fog 4K
Tenet 4K Steelebook
Emma.
Amelie
Zulu
Unsane
All The Money In The World
Drive Special Edition
You Were Never Really Here
Parasite 4K Steelebook (includes B&W Version)

Second Row:

Speed Racer
The Mist
The Love Witch
The Ladykillers 4K
Big
A Few Good Men 4K
The Crown Season 3
Mid90s
From Here To Eternity
Akira Kurosawa Samurai Collection
Scream Trilogy
Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas
King Of New York
Napoleon (1927)
The Big Bang Theory Season 11

Third Row:

Meals On Wheels
IT Chapter Two
Troy: Directors Cut
A Girl Walks Home At Night
On The Waterfront
The Big Bang Theory Season 10
Uncut Gems
Rouge One 4K
Rick And Morty Season 4
Office Space
I Am Not Your Negro
The Zen Diaries
The Majestic
Prince Of Darkness 4K
The Personal History of David Copperfield
Diego Maradona
Three Musketeers/Four Musketeers
The Big Bang Theory Season 12
How I Won The War

Standing Beside The Third Row:

Midsommar Directors Cut 4K
Disney Classics Complete 57 Film Collection

uVZ90Xl.jpg

First row:

Full Metal Jacket 4K
The Cybernaut Trilogy
Flash Gordon 4K
Clueless 25th Anniversary Steelebook
Back To The Future Trilogy 4K
The Irishman
Alfred Hitchcock 4K Collection (Rear Window, Psycho, The Birds, Vertigo)

Second Row:

The Vengeance Trilogy (Symphony For Mr Vengence, Oldboy, Lady Vengence)
Weird Science
Videodrome
Blade Of The Immortal
The Andromeda Strain
Donnie Darko
Versus

rrGNxnX.jpg

First Row:

The Muppets Movie Collection (The Muppets, Muppets Most Wanted, The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, A Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppet Treasure Island)
Weathering For You 4K

Second Row:

Johnny Carson: King Of Late Night
The Runaways
The Skeleton Twins
Spartacus 4K
Bad Times At The El Royale 4K

sHi3ZMf.jpg

The Werner Herzog Collection:
* The Unprecedented Defence of the Fortress Deutschkreuz (1967)
* Last Words (1968)
* Precautions Against Fanatics (1969)
* Handicapped Future (1970)
* Fata Morgana (1971)
* Land of Silence and Darkness (1971)
* Aguirre, Wrath of God (1972)
* The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser (1974)
* The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner (1975)
* Heart of Glass (1976)
* How Much Wood Would a Woodchuck Chuck (1976)
* Stroszek (1977)
* Nosferatu, the Vampyre (1979)
* Woyzeck (1979)
* Huie’s Sermon (1980)
* God’s Angry Man (1980
* Fitzcarraldo (1982)
* Cobra Verde (1987)

Camp X-Ray
Sideways
The Current War Director’s Cut
Planes, Trains And Automobiles
The Godfather Coda
Veep The Final Season
Tim’s Vermeer
The Ten Commandments

Last edited:

Aggelos

Roland Emmeirch's 2012. The picture quality seems to be getting the short end of the stick. The Dobly Atmos track is phenomenal. though

Amory

Ordered Groundhog Day today since Amazon finally gave a decent sale at $17.99. I don't think I've ever seen it listed this cheap, not that it's an amazing deal

Mr Hyde

Finally got my first 4K movie. Or should I say, movies. Got my copy of the Lord of the Rings trilogy box set. Figured it would be a good start to my 4K movie collection. Can't wait to experience these movies again with my new setup. It's going to look and sound fantastic.

The box was actually a Christmas gift from my mother, but since it's such a hot item here in Sweden, it's been sold out for nearly two months now. But today it finally arrived and she brought it over. Gonna be a good weekend.

AV

Noticed Gattaca 4K went up for pre-order in a few places, nice, never get round to seeing that.

Also they're FINALLY releasing a reasonably priced copy of Dawn of the Dead 4K without the million extras attached to it. Just give me the damn movie.

Battle Royale 4K Blu-ray April 26 (UK)

fb4d525b-db74-43cb-9533-cbb12b6ed3a7.jpg

adfefba7-75b8-4cd8-b121-f21b158ccba3.jpg

4K ULTRA HD LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

Brand new 4K restoration of the Original Theatrical Version and Special Edition Director's Cut of Battle Royale from the original camera negative by Arrow Films, approved by Kenta Fukasaku
4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation of both versions of Battle Royale in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the Battle Royale II: Requiem theatrical cut and the Battle Royale II: Revenge extended cut
Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and 2.0 stereo audio
Optional English subtitles
Original soundtrack CD for Battle Royale [Limited Edition Exclusive]
Kinji Fukasaku: Man of Rage, an exclusive 120-page monograph on the director by Japanese cinema expert Tom Mes [Limited Edition Exclusive]
Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new essays by Matt Alt and Anne Billson and archival articles
Exclusive Battle Royale collectors' Trump Card set [Limited Edition Exclusive]
Reversible poster with new artwork [Limited Edition Exclusive]

DISC ONE - BATTLE ROYALE: ORIGINAL THEATRICAL VERSION (4K UHD BLU-RAY)

Brand new audio commentary by critics Tom Mes and Jasper Sharp
Battle Royale at 20: Back to School, an exclusive new 42-minute documentary about the legacy of Battle Royale
Bloody Education: Kenta Fukasaku on Battle Royale, a brand new exclusive interview with the film's producer and screenwriter
The Making of Battle Royale: The Experience of 42 High School Students, documentary featuring footage from the shooting of the film and cast and crew discussions
The Slaughter of 42 High School Students, a look behind the scenes of the shoot
Behind the scenes footage with comments from the cast and crew
Filming on Set, a look at the shooting of key scenes from the film
Conducting Battle Royale with the Warsaw National Philharmonic, archive footage of Masamichi Amano conducting the soundtrack rehearsal

DISC TWO - BATTLE ROYALE: SPECIAL EDITION DIRECTOR'S CUT (4K UHD BLU-RAY)

Shooting the Special Edition, on-location featurette with footage of the cast and crew reuniting for the shoot of the Special Edition
Royale Rehearsals, featurette on Kinji Fukasaku directing the film's young cast
Masamichi Amano Conducts Battle Royale, archive featurette
Takeshi Kitano Interview, filmed on location with the Japanese star
The Correct Way to Fight in Battle Royale, instructional video explaining the rules of the game
The Correct Way to Make 'Battle Royale': Birthday Version, a new version of the original instructional video made to celebrate Kinji Fukasaku's birthday
Premiere Press Conference, preceding the film's first public screening
Tokyo International Film Festival Presentation, with footage from the gala screening at the Tokyo International Film Festival
Opening Day at the Marunouchi Toei Movie Theatre, archive footage of the Japanese opening
Special Effects Comparison showing how the film's violent killings were created
Original Trailers and TV spots
Kinji Fukasaku trailer reel, a collection of original trailers for Fukasaku's classic yakuza films from the 70s
Image Gallery

DISC THREE - BATTLE ROYALE II: REQUIEM (BLU-RAY)

Bloody Graduation: Kenta Fukasaku on Battle Royale II, an exclusive brand new interview with the director and screenwriter of Battle Royale II
Behind the Scenes of Battle Royale II, on-location featurette during the film's shoot
Rehearsals footage of the auditions and pre-production rehearsals
War and Struggle, featurette of the cast discussing their thoughts on war
Alternate Piano Scene
The Recording of the Music Score, archive footage of Masamichi Amano and the Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra
Opening Gala with The Orchestra, featuring a public introduction by the director and main cast
Battle Royale II Premiere, a featurette on the film's first screening at the Marunouchi Toei Movie Theatre
Trailers and TV spots
Image gallery

DISC FOUR - BATTLE ROYALE II: REVENGE (BLU-RAY)

A Tribute to Kinji Fukasaku, featuring scenes of Kinji Fukasaku on the location of Battle Royale II
Kinji Fukasaku's 73rd Birthday: A Speech by Kenta Fukasaku, paying public tribute to his father

DISC FIVE - BATTLE ROYALE (SOUNDTRACK CD)

CD featuring the complete score to Battle Royale by Masamichi Amano and the Warsaw National Philharmonic Orchestra

Aggelos

91Z4-lZeapL._SL1500_.jpg

91kDxwXz9JL._SL1500_.jpg

WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES
GODZILLA
TO BE RELEASED ON 4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAYTM COMBO PACK AND DIGITAL

Own it on 4K Ultra HD and Digital on March 23rd

BURBANK, CA, February 2, 2021 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment announced today that 2014’s Godzilla will be released on Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack and Digital on March 23rd. An epic action adventure directed by Gareth Edwards (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story), Warner Bros. Pictures’ and Legendary Pictures’ Godzilla marked the long-awaited big screen return of the King of the Monsters.

Directed by Edwards from a screenplay by Max Borenstein and a story by David Callaham, Godzilla is based on the character “Godzilla,” owned and created by TOHO CO., LTD. Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni produced the film with Mary Parent and Brian Rogers. Patricia Whitcher and Alex Garcia served as executive producers, alongside Yoshimitsu Banno and Kenji Okuhira.

Godzilla stars Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Kick-Ass), Oscar® nominee Ken Watanabe (The Last Samurai, Inception), Elizabeth Olsen (Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Endgame), Oscar® winner Juliette Binoche (The English Patient, Cosmopolis), and Oscar® nominee Sally Hawkins (Blue Jasmine), alongside Oscar® nominee David Strathairn (Good Night, and Good Luck., The Bourne Legacy”) and Bryan Cranston (Argo, TV’s “Breaking Bad”).

Ultra HD* showcases 4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and a wider color spectrum, offering consumers brighter, deeper, more lifelike colors for a home entertainment viewing experience like never before.

Godzilla will be available on Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack for $24.99 ERP and includes an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc with the feature film in 4K with HDR and a Blu-ray disc with the feature film and special features. Fans can also own Godzilla in 4K Ultra HD via purchase from select digital retailers beginning on March 23rd.

The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray and Blu-ray disc of “Godzilla” will feature a Dolby Atmos® soundtrack remixed specifically for the home theater environment to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. To experience Dolby Atmos at home, a Dolby Atmos enabled AV receiver and additional speakers are required, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar. Dolby Atmos soundtracks are also fully backward compatible with traditional audio configurations and legacy home entertainment equipment.

SYNOPSIS
In this gritty, realistic sci-fi action epic, Godzilla returns to its roots as one of the world's most recognized monsters. Directed by Gareth Edwards and featuring an all-star international cast, this spectacular adventure pits Godzilla against malevolent creatures that, bolstered by humanity's scientific arrogance, threaten our very existence.

Ultra HD Blu-ray and Blu-ray Elements

Godzilla Ultra HD Blu-ray contains the following previously released special feature:
  • MONARCH: Declassified - Discover explosive new evidence not contained in the film that unravels the massive cover-up to keep Godzilla’s existence a secret.
  • Operation: Lucky Dragon
  • MONARCH: The M.U.T.O. File
  • The Godzilla Revelation
  • The Legendary Godzilla - Go behind the scenes with filmmakers and cast for an even deeper look at the larger than life monsters in the film.
  • Godzilla: Force of Nature
  • A Whole New Level Of Destruction
  • Into The Void: The H.A.L.O. Jump
  • Ancient Enemy: The M.U.T.O.s

DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION ELEMENTS

On March 23rd Godzilla 4K UHD will be available to own for streaming and download to watch anywhere in high definition and standard definition on favorite devices from select digital retailers including GooglePlay, Vudu, Xbox and others, and will be made available digitally on Video On Demand services from cable and satellite providers, and on select gaming consoles.

BASICS
PRODUCT ERP
Ultra HD Blu-ray $24.99
Standard Street Date: March 23rd 2021
EST Street Date: March 23rd 2021
Ultra HD Blu-ray Languages: English, Latin Spanish
Ultra HD Blu-ray Subtitles: English SDH, Latin Spanish, Parisian French
Running Time: 123 Minutes
Rating: Rated PG-13
DOLBY ATMOS [CC]

Umbasaborne

Banned

91Z4-lZeapL._SL1500_.jpg

91kDxwXz9JL._SL1500_.jpg

its about god damn time. Instantly pre ordered!

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Bought the LotR 4k Blu Ray. It's pretty nice. A shame the commentary tracks from the DVD didn't carry over though. The Peter Jackson track was off the hook.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I bought the Scream trilogy yesterday. You'd think I would have got around to it sooner, stuck to the DVD's for so long. Probably won't get around to it for a while, but I've always wanted them on Blu-Ray. Will save them for a rainy day when I feel like re-visiting them.

71QKLaoLXdL._AC_SX342_.jpg

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I bought the Scream trilogy yesterday. You'd think I would have got around to it sooner, stuck to the DVD's for so long. Probably won't get around to it for a while, but I've always wanted them on Blu-Ray. Will save them for a rainy day when I feel like re-visiting them.

Pretty decent upgrade PQ wise on the blu Ray vs DVD imo.

Kayoba

Battle Royale 4K Blu-ray April 26 (UK)

fb4d525b-db74-43cb-9533-cbb12b6ed3a7.jpg

Cheers! I love these movies, so I'll certainly preorder this one.

A shame the second movie is Blu-Ray only though. If you intend to import the limited edition from the UK, keep in mind that Battle Royale II is region blocked (Region B).

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty decent upgrade PQ wise on the blu Ray vs DVD imo.
For sure. I actually popped it in earlier just to see how much better Scream 1 looks and it is like night and day. Can't wait to re-live them again. I don't mind watching DVD's, but it's very rough looking at this point. Some people say they can't tell the difference but I definitely can.

AV

Just the trilogy? I always thought 4 was better than 3. It stretches the premise to breaking point, which 3 already did, but this time it felt intentional.

Also fuck yes to Battle Royale / Donnie Darko / Heat 4K. Sold.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Just the trilogy? I always thought 4 was better than 3. It stretches the premise to breaking point, which 3 already did, but this time it felt intentional.

Also fuck yes to Battle Royale / Donnie Darko / Heat 4K. Sold.
I already have Scream 4 on Blu-Ray with it being the newest one. It was just the old ones I never rushed to upgrade for one reason or another. I suppose the DVD's did their job for the longest time.

I agree 4 is much better than 3. Wes Craven back at the helm, a lot more well-acted and creative.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
For sure. I actually popped it in earlier just to see how much better Scream 1 looks and it is like night and day. Can't wait to re-live them again. I don't mind watching DVD's, but it's very rough looking at this point. Some people say they can't tell the difference but I definitely can.
Scream 3 actually looks quite nice as well.. I found 2 to have the least uptick in quality.

Scream 4 is actually quite a good looking blu ray as well.

IDC what anyone says. Scream 4 was awesome.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Release date: April 26th
Purchase link: (Not Live Yet)
(Pre-order on Zavvi February 21 at 12PM for Red Carpet, at 6PM for general sale - UK time)
Price: TBA
Note: Includes a slipcase, 2 booklets, and 8 character cards

ff_20th_1.jpg

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

The Blu-ray is a big improvement over the DVD release, especially the original Scream
But I want this, (not real just a quick mock up I did, but they can use it 😁)

8zxOdFu.jpg

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Can someone recommend a 4k UHD player, no bells and whistles, don't need apps on it, no streaming etc? I just want to put in the disc and play it.

Top Bottom