• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K update for Halo 5 with the release of Xbox One X & (some) Halo games going BC

343 continues to give halo 5 the best free post launch support a shooter has ever had, maybe any game.

What? You mean the game that launch with half the maps looking like they were made of Lego blocks and no BtB support to speak of? Yeah, I think the community wishes they would have spent less time tuning the game for esports (a dream long since relevant for halo) and more time creating unique, compelling content.

Hubble

Halo 5 MP is nothing like COD though. As for giving Halo a break. I'm on board for that just because new stuff is exciting. I do not want them to try for "classic" Halo. I feel like them catering to that audience is one of the problems the franchise has. I feel the same way about Gears.

Everything from COD was injected into Halo, but in a Halo-like way. Ground pound, clamber, sprint, etc. It's obvious COD influenced Halo, when Halo should be looking at its own self for influences. I'm not saying Halo is a carbon copy of COD but it surely influenced it. 343 is evident they are attempting to change the game's direction to be more accessible, etc., based on a new corporate culture rather than appeasing Halo fans.

Everyone in GAF begging for? I don't know if I've seen much clamoring for Halo 3 and MCC multiplayer to be apart. It's the same game. I do understand many want BC and I agree with that and here.

Again, I'm not opposed but wow, as someone who preordered MCC digitally, I feel really salty right now. MCC multiplayer pretty much went to waste? My MCC purchase went down the drain? It looks like I and many, even if it's a conservative half, or more who would prefer to play this on BC, while many casuals are playing the newer MCC thinking it's the 'remastered' better version is hugely splitting the MCC base. So people playing Halo 3 on MCC will not connect to Halo 3 BC? This is really problematic. They should link the player populations. But not surprised, 343 sigh, never really seem to have a clue. The poor Halo 5 maps are an example, and in arena.. Watching Halo 5 competitive and they are still playing the same maps from launch lol.

Its not problematic the people who are playing Halo 3 right now on 360 id say have no plans on playing on MCC even if it did work due to the lack of playlists designated for the game. You are acting like there is a problem that is not there. I dont disagree that it sucks that MCC is still broken, but having the choice is better than not having it even if MCC worked 100% perfectly this is great news

c0de

Sifting through the thread and agree with a lot of people here.

343 really need to give Halo a break. They've damaged the franchise more than help it. People are literally not excited for anything Halo new anymore when the series was met with fervor before.

Gamers want to be gamers. 343 has literally ignored their core Halo fanbase to chase a new COD-like crowd, and it has created huge resentment. Most people I'm sorry just don't recognize Halo anymore and silently moved on.

Please leave the Halo franchise alone in the future (it's just decreasing the Halo brand). Make a new IP or make a classic Halo.

So they shouldn't deliver a free patch for the new console for the most iconic game on Xbox?

greenmind

Banned
Minecraft is on every platform now....

Microsoft should release Halo 1 on the Nintendo Switch to bring in new fans and pretty much blow the internet up (I mean, who wouldn't want to play Halo 1 on the go????)

DO IT

Hubble

So they shouldn't deliver a free patch for the new console for the most iconic game on Xbox?

No, I said in this thread, I agree with this move. What you quoted, I mean with the franchise moving forward (I don't think we need a Halo 6 for Xbox One, I'm sorry to say. People are just not as excited anymore. Halo needs a complete reset.) although it definitely is problematic with the MCC Master Chief Collection.

Wasn't the whole purpose of the MCC collection to play the classic Halo games together? Why did people buy it then? Now you're going to have people here playing the same game but separate player populations, when MCC should have solved that for the better. Just embarrassing and really, does not make Halo look any better.

Andodalf

Banned
What? You mean the game that launch with half the maps looking like they were made of Lego blocks and no BtB support to speak of? Yeah, I think the community wishes they would have spent less time tuning the game for esports (a dream long since relevant for halo) and more time creating unique, compelling content.
Well, your comment is entirely about the launch game, and my comment was only about post launch support. Which has been great.

Chris1

No, I said in this thread, I agree with this move. What you quoted, I mean with the franchise moving forward (I don't think we need a Halo 6 for Xbox One, I'm sorry to say. People are just not as excited anymore. Halo needs a complete reset.) although it definitely is problematic with the MCC Master Chief Collection.

who are these people?

halo 5 is one of the best selling games on the xbox one

sales and excitement for the franchise definitely dropped compared to previous entries, but that doesn't change the facts Halo 5 is among of the best selling XB1 games even still

Wasn't the whole purpose of the MCC collection to play the classic Halo games together? Why did people buy it then? Now you're going to have people here playing the same game but separate player populations. When MCC should have solved that for the better.
Remaster was done before bc was thought to be possible for them. This is a good thing not a bad thing people should be able to play games they own. Besides that populations are fine looking for groups is the best with mcc for me at least

c0de

No, I said in this thread, I agree with this move. What you quoted, I mean with the franchise moving forward (I don't think we need a Halo 6 for Xbox One, I'm sorry to say. People are just not as excited anymore. Halo needs a complete reset) although it definitely is problematic with the MCC Master Chief Collection. Wasn't the whole purpose of the collection to play the classic Halo games together? Why did people buy it then? Now you're going to have people here playing the same game but separate player populations. MCC should have solved that for the better.

Oh yes, that I agree with completely.
I mean, it's nice for people who didn't buy MCC but own the old versions but some decisions from 343...
I mean, really, they decided that Halo 5 should be 60fps and they are right with that in general. But games don't sell on fps but also on shiny graphics. I don't say Halo 5 looks bad but they should've gone with 30fps in the campaign to make a game with wow effect. That's why people buy new consoles. An opportunity Microsoft has missed the whole gen completely.

jelly

Everything from COD was injected into Halo, but in a Halo-like way. Ground pound, clamber, sprint, etc. It's obvious COD influenced Halo, when Halo should be looking at its own self for influences. I'm not saying Halo is a carbon copy of COD but it surely influenced it. 343 is evident they are attempting to change the game's direction to be more accessible, etc., based on a new corporate culture rather than appeasing Halo fans.

Funny thing is Halo 5 isn't exactly more accessible. It may have a few traits from COD but a chilled out game for casuals it is not.

Brofield

Is Halo 2 also getting backwards compatibility? My friend is convinced it is because of the OG Xbox BC being available

Blueblur1

This and the back-compat is neat for people who still care about Halo. There's nothing there for me.

I guess I'll keep holding out for next E3. I would love to be surprised by a re-worked Halo that matches the style and quality of Bungie's games.

jelly

Wasn't the whole purpose of the MCC collection to play the classic Halo games together? Why did people buy it then? Now you're going to have people here playing the same game but separate player populations, when MCC should have solved that for the better. Just embarrassing and really, does not make Halo look any better.

Could be a stop gap until they fix MCC and upgrade it for X. It needs a lot of work and redone.

I would have preferred MCC updates but I'm also happy with this and maybe it was just a result of the BC program and instead of holding it back, they just released it which is great, I would love it if Arkham games worked in BC but I don't think WB would allow it with the remaster on sale which sucks so 343 deserve a little love here and of course never let up on MCC issues until they fix it.

See if you change 'people' to 'I' in your post a few times it makes a lot more sense.

343 really need to give Halo a break. They've damaged the franchise more than help it. People are literally not excited for anything Halo new anymore when the series was met with fervor before.

Gamers want to be gamers. 343 has literally ignored their core Halo fanbase to chase a new COD-like crowd, and it has created huge resentment. Most people I'm sorry just don't recognize Halo anymore and silently moved on.

Please leave the Halo franchise alone in the future (it's just decreasing the Halo brand). Make a new IP or make a classic Halo.

I am literally excited for a new Halo. Please don't speak for everyone.

No it does not. "True 4K" is Microsoft's marketing term that has the primary focus of differentiating between "upscaled" 4K and Native/Checkerboard 4K. We do not know which method 343 will employ for Halo 5.

It's hilarious how many people just fall for the marketing PR, I mean you know why MS did it, marketing, other companies do it too, it's just funny if you know better. People think it literally means native lol.

Good for Halo 5, but I still want MCC on pc and/or in 4k on x1.

And we still are waiting for Reach and Firefight from ODST (why is it absent it's beyond me).

You know, I really feel sorry for 343 sometimes. Having to put up with some fans clamoring for more and then when more is given they still complain about it not being the pure classic Halo.

Either ways, I'm excited for Halo 6 and I hope that Master Chief and Cortana's story gets resolved nicely.

jelly

Frankie, why did the 360 digital version of ODST not have Firefight and that followed with Halo MCC, was it a licensing issue of some sort that you had to remove it?

The 4K patch is definitely welcome, lets hope that MCC patch hint materializes into something. As much as I've learned to enjoy H5 multiplayer, I still need that functional 60fps Halo 2 & 3 hotness.

IMG_0806.png
Based 343

Why don't you bums get lost with the MCC talk probably don't even own the game
Stinkles, get off your alt-account

AlStrong

Frankie, why did the 360 digital version of ODST not have Firefight and that followed with Halo MCC, was it a licensing issue of some sort that you had to remove it?

360 version does have it.
The Games on Demand version includes only the Campaign and Firefight modes. It does not include the Halo 3 competitive multiplayer functionality or maps.

borges

Banned

I dont understand that, in the context of this thread. They provide a 4k update for the main game, and you ask 343 to do what, nothing? but why?

The 4K patch is definitely welcome, lets hope that MCC patch hint materializes into something. As much as I've learned to enjoy H5 multiplayer, I still need that functional 60fps Halo 2 & 3 hotness.

Stinkles, get off your alt-account

I would have believed an account called Water.Ninja.

You know, I really feel sorry for 343 sometimes. Having to put up with some fans clamoring for more and then when more is given they still complain about it not being the pure classic Halo.

Either ways, I'm excited for Halo 6 and I hope that Master Chief and Cortana's story gets resolved nicely.

I can't think of a tougher fanbase to satisfy. Even Counter Strike and Dota fans have embraced developers' big changes when they're good, and those games have had online communities for much longer than Halo.

Gestault

I dont understand that, in the context of this thread. They provide a 4k update for the main game, and you ask 343 to do what, nothing? but why?

I'll give you two guesses exactly how worthwhile Hubble's posts pertaining to anything Halo are.

The only thing the digital version of ODST didn't have was Halo 3 multiplayer, as it was a separate disc.

MCC likely didn't have it because it went beyond the scope of the quick free/$5 port and would have required more work to integrate.

Worth noting in the OP that CEA, 3, ODST, and 4 are going to be BC for Xbox One with all the DLC becoming free just in case you don't want to deal with the MCC

It's amazing that it's apparently easier for MS to implement BC for 2 previous generations of consoles on a weak Jaguar CPU than to just fix MCC.

I can't think of a tougher fanbase to satisfy. Even Counter Strike and Dota fans have embraced developers' big changes when they're good, and those games have had online communities for much longer than Halo.

Halo fans in here want a game of 10 years ago. Good luck 343, youre gonna need it.

Hopefully not just a 4K bump but also improvements for graphical fidelity. There are some low ass resolution textures in some places and the aliasing in some MP maps especially is damn bad. Would like to see that gone too.

samred

343i responded to Ars' questions about H:MCC:

We’ve made a host of significant improvements to ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection’ since the initial launch in 2014 and while the majority of players enjoy the game regularly, any issues or interruption in play is something we continue to keep a close eye on. That said, we do not have any additional updates planned in the near term, at this moment.

This was the statement offered after I asked about a 4K patch coming to its Xbox One X version and about general, ongoing user complaints about H:MCC's online matchmaking. More info at my report.

Ms is using true 4k for checkerboard and Native as well, both pro and X use the exactly same techniques, true 4k doesn't mean "Native" as many game are and will be checkerboard on X as well, like digital Foundry has stated......4k is 4k, there is not multiple definitions...also it doesn;t bother me, I find it funny, sorry my post bothers you though, not allowed to find something funny apparently/ True 4k is a meaningless statement as it is no "Truer" then any other 4k lol.
They really aren't.

Top Bottom