• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K update for Halo 5 with the release of Xbox One X & (some) Halo games going BC

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Considering you guys didnt really announce any details today, why not just do this at e3 when the whole world is watching, instead of a month later when there still arent any details? I dont get this.

Otherwise, thanks for the 4k update.

Keeping hype up and x1x in the news. That slow drip

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Considering you guys didnt really announce any details today, why not just do this at e3 when the whole world is watching, instead of a month later when there still arent any details? I dont get this.

Otherwise, thanks for the 4k update.

Lots of reasons - from not wanting it to get lost in a sea of announcements to specific production dates and targets. That stuff is never as simple as it looks from the outside or in hindsight.

leeh

Fantastic! I'm going to have to get back into Halo 5 MP. I never gave it enough love.

As a huge halo fan I love what 343 has done. Halo 5 has the best mp to date. Warzone is also a great addition. The campaigns problems for me come down to the boss fights feeling super repatitive. 343 has done a great job with Halo and I have no doubt that their next entry will be another great game. I also don't get all the people saying mcc is still broken. I pop back in ever few weeks and play mp and I could not remember the last time I had any problems. Halo 2 anniversary mp is fantastic. I really wish that the mcc was getting a Xbox One X update.
Don't talk the truth, MCC is trash and its broken.

Lothars

IMG_0806.png
Based 343

Why don't you bums get lost with the MCC talk probably don't even own the game
Really? Really? So because in your own little world and believe me it's a small little world that 343 is doing all the right moves (They are not) It's good they are updating Halo 5 for the X1X but I will call them out at every moment because of how I feel they have damaged the Halo franchise with the shitty aiming of Halo 5 which killed that game to me to the blah of Halo MCC collection. I will say it when I can because it's a shame.

Should feel lucky frankie and Ellis even show up at this shit hole considering the reaction they get

GG 343 on halo 5, woulda been a huge missed opportunity otherwise

MCC... Well it still hurts but I totally understand
They deserve the reaction. I respect Stinkles and I appreciate his posts here. I don't agree that they shouldn't be called out.

Anything with the MCC is not understandable and it's really disrespectful to the franchise how they treated the MCC, so until it's fixed It's something I will bring up.

WipedOut

Lots of reasons - from not wanting it to get lost in a sea of announcements to specific production dates and targets. That stuff is never as simple as it looks from the outside or in hindsight.

It's Halo, it's supposed to be the headliner for xbox. It's THEE Franchise that put xbox on the map. Why would it get lost?

Simply put the "And one more thing" at the end of the conference, Displaying Halo 5 with a big 4K. Drop mic, fade to black.

I mean it worked for Metroid.

I do kind of miss the Halo 2 and 3 multiplayer games. Some maps in slayer like Burial Mounds or Zanzibar were awesome because you could just hope in a vehicle and cause havoc. Today it feels more competitive focused, which is nice but not what I have nostalgia for. Perhaps i will be playing Halo 3 a lot this holiday.

shanew21

Traveling to Austin shortly for RTX.

I am going to Franklin/Salt Lick but everyone tells me La barbecue is the new hotness. I also need a package of brisket to take back on the plane.

Seattle BBQ is terribad.

La BBQ isn't as good as Franklin (it's very close though) but has a significantly shorter wait, so I always recommend it over Franklin for people who are here for a short amount of time.

Can give you tons of other recommendations if you need.

Finally, I find Halo 5 to be an ugly game at times...especially some of the MP maps. Looking at shit in the distance just looks awful and so much jaggies and low quality textures. There is that one island map, I forget which one it is, the one you start on the beach...it can look pretty atrocious.

@Frankie, are you guys going to do be doing any texture updates, etc, etc? Also, sorry for my harsh description, but image quality could use some work.

It's Halo, it's supposed to be the headliner for xbox. It's THEE Franchise that put xbox on the map. Why would it get lost?

Simply put the "And one more thing" at the end of the conference, Displaying Halo 5 with a big 4K. Drop mic, fade to black.

There's obviously more to it than just adding a slide at the end of a powerpoint. Nobody was hurt by them announcing a patch for a two year old game a couple weeks later when they had all the i's dotted and the t's crossed. They even got enough attention for you to come and complain about it, so it looks like they didn't miss out on the E3 buzz.

TCKaos

343 PLEASE Update the Halo Reach Playlists. Theres no reason for The title update to not be implemented to all the playlists. Its so stupid ��

Given the way Megalo works this is actually impossible. Some of the gametypes literally can't be rescripted - such as Invasion. There will never be Invasion Turbo because rescripting it would break the gametype.

We can't blame 343i for that since, well, they didn't make it that way.

I do kind of miss the Halo 2 and 3 multiplayer games. Some maps in slayer like Burial Mounds or Zanzibar were awesome because you could just hope in a vehicle and cause havoc. Today it feels more competitive focused, which is nice but not what I have nostalgia for. Perhaps i will be playing Halo 3 a lot this holiday.

In Halo 5 this is really the BR's fault. It's hitscan (as it should be) so the engagement range is potentially stupid long if you're good, and it's powerful enough that sustained fire makes vehicles mostly unusable. They attempted to fix this by implementing the REQ upgraded version of most vehicles in BTB so that they have extra armor, but the trade-off just really isn't worth it 99% of the time. It's one of the arguments for pistol starts in BTB - since the pistol is actually competent this time around there's no need for the BR to be available off spawn. With a shorter effective range you're also looking at more map movement to actually enter engagements as well.

You're out of your mind if you think that's a "and one more thing" announcement.

Thats because Metroid has been gone for seven years. Those minutes of an E3 conference are precious, using them on a 4K patch of a two year old game doesnt sound like the best plan.

This is great news to me. Particularly the BC stuff. I guess I'll go to the MCC whenever I want to play by myself, but really the original version of Halo3+ODST is miles better. Particularly because it has LAN support properly baked in and the community is probably more alive there than on the MCC.

I haven't asked for a pass and I don't ignore anything. I can't always give you the information you want to hear. And I'm not sure how useful a response like this would be to you every time I posted it.
I'd honestly say you have. This is the same as ignoring. I'm not trying to be rude and I'd never dislike you as a person

With that said I see no harm in the logic of making halo halo

It was apparent other games on the market affected what halo 4 and 5 became. Those same ideas have already been losing fans to those other games and they finally resorted back to what they use to do. Although I'm not a fan of those games to be honest.

I think you have dumbed down the series in many ways. Don't treat us this way, we like to learn weapon spawn times and talk to other players about things to get better

I just think it makes sense to look at what made a series to begin with. Just look at halo when making a halo.

I can tell you if walshy had nothing bad to say he was holding his poker face and for his benefit which I understand. But his reasoning for liking halo is the same for most of the original fans, maps, weapon placement and the overall skill and setups that goes into everything. That is why I asked you to ask for his honest opinion and feel it's the only realistic hope I have in getting halo back to form so me and many of my friends can get online again to play.

Could you even imagine how cool a gradual map remake in lockouts style could be. Ovcisoly isn't working with boosters and clamber though. But people like a game for what is there, at the time we chose halo. We still do, just we don't get it.

The typical halo style has not been there since halo 3 so who knows how one could sell today. Not me or you honestly. But I like my chances in it doing really good, bringing back fans in droves.

Good stuff, well im excited! it already looks great on xbox one s on my 4k, cant wait to see the diff

New users and returning users. It's also 4K for MP which still has healthy populations and will bump in November too. You can get a sense of the fidelity by looking at the PC Forge/MP package on a high end PC and without committing to anything I will note that BC legacy titles and the "fate" of MCC are not connected at the hip as some have perhaps reasonably, but in this specific case, mistakenly inferred. That may be cold comfort with no information to share at this time, but they are not an either or situation.

Fair enough. I still play MP regularly so that's good news. The work you and the team do to keep said MP fresh is still impressive and highly appreciated.

I was hoping for Halo 3: Anniversary, regardless of 343 denying it being a thing for a while, but this H3 content for H5 is making me give up on the dream. Oh well, Halo 3 content for Halo 5 sounds great regardless. And there still might be hope for TMCC getting updated? I'd strongly dig it if there's some follow-through. I still play TMCC (and Reach - pls remaster it) often.

The Xbox One X enhancements for Halo 5 sound great too, but I don't see myself getting a 4k TV/monitor anytime soon (therefore no X1X). If splitscreen was added in for X1X, I woulda strongly considered upgrading regardless of just having 1080p displays. Here's hoping the promised splitscreen in future Halo games is decent even on the base Xbox One~

What lol? That's some crazy exaggeration.

no he is right, what shooter has ever gotten better post launch support? A bunch of patches to improve things, new modes, weapons, skins, and maps, all for free. Halo 5 is the textbook example of a great dev supporting their game and the community. I wish all devs could do what they did.

are we talking Prime 4? it wasnt a one more thing and it was for a series that fans have been begging years for and lets be honest its about as close to coming out as FF7 remake. I dont think this announcement is along the same lines....a halo 6 teaser yes, but not a 4k announcement

RdN

Great news.. Halo 5 made a lot of compromises to run at 60fps on the weak XBO hardware.

Having it in 4K, even if it's checkerboarding or dynamic res, should bring a considerable upgrade in the visual department.

TheXbox

343 continues to give halo 5 the best free post launch support a shooter has ever had, maybe any game.
nah. Blizzard runs laps around 343. Every post-launch map for H5 has been terrible. BTB still ain't got love. Warzone players are probably happy, I guess.

f@luS

More than a member.
I didn't play much of my backlog on one. I did t even finish gears 4 I'm at the last chapter for month. Will play these game on one X

Isurus

New users and returning users. It's also 4K for MP which still has healthy populations and will bump in November too. You can get a sense of the fidelity by looking at the PC Forge/MP package on a high end PC and without committing to anything I will note that BC legacy titles and the "fate" of MCC are not connected at the hip as some have perhaps reasonably, but in this specific case, mistakenly inferred. That may be cold comfort with no information to share at this time, but they are not an either or situation.

I owe you an apology; I've been a righteous asshole. (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=242705328&highlight=#post242705328).

This is better news than I was expecting. Very much looking forward to playing through Halo 5 again in 4K. Please, please, please have MCC updated. Regardless of the commentary, it's a great package that needs some love.

borges

Banned
Traveling to Austin shortly for RTX.

I am going to Franklin/Salt Lick but everyone tells me La barbecue is the new hotness. I also need a package of brisket to take back on the plane.

Seattle BBQ is terribad.

If you really love BBQs, you should definitely try Argentinian 'Asado':
asado.jpg

Theres nothing even closer in this world.

JoeLT

Assets are rendered at higher fidelity than the vanilla Xbox version. It's free to DL so you can check out a quasi preview. I'm going to see if somebody did a 4k Youtube comparison. If not we might look at something like that for later in the year.

Edit. Not sure how useful this is as my laptop ain't got no 4ks and there will be some technical apples and oranges in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYokjeEx78c
So can we expect the One X patch to be like running Halo 5: Forge maxed out on PC at 4K? If so, including improved AF, Shadows, animations, etc I am extremely keen. I am slightly concerned it will just be a resolution bump up to 4K......please tell me anisotropic filtering will at least be increased.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'm happy faux-K/60, tbh, if it's a fixed resolution.

E92 M3

no he is right, what shooter has ever gotten better post launch support? A bunch of patches to improve things, new modes, weapons, skins, and maps, all for free. Halo 5 is the textbook example of a great dev supporting their game and the community. I wish all devs could do what they did.

Titanfall 2, Titanfall, Unreal tournament - just to name some. I'd be happier if the DLC maps weren't complete shit and I don't count req packs as content.

Leyasu

Banned
Will characters from far away still run at 30fps?

I think that this will be eradicated. I also think that this will be a substantial update that will give you the choice on what you want.

Xbone settings 4k, 1080p all singing and dancing

mcrommert

Banned
I'd honestly say you have. This is the same as ignoring. I'm not trying to be rude and I'd never dislike you as a person

With that said I see no harm in the logic of making halo halo

It was apparent other games on the market affected what halo 4 and 5 became. Those same ideas have already been losing fans to those other games and they finally resorted back to what they use to do. Although I'm not a fan of those games to be honest.

I think you have dumbed down the series in many ways. Don't treat us this way, we like to learn weapon spawn times and talk to other players about things to get better

I just think it makes sense to look at what made a series to begin with. Just look at halo when making a halo.

I can tell you if walshy had nothing bad to say he was holding his poker face and for his benefit which I understand. But his reasoning for liking halo is the same for most of the original fans, maps, weapon placement and the overall skill and setups that goes into everything. That is why I asked you to ask for his honest opinion and feel it's the only realistic hope I have in getting halo back to form so me and many of my friends can get online again to play.

Could you even imagine how cool a gradual map remake in lockouts style could be. Ovcisoly isn't working with boosters and clamber though. But people like a game for what is there, at the time we chose halo. We still do, just we don't get it.

The typical halo style has not been there since halo 3 so who knows how one could sell today. Not me or you honestly. But I like my chances in it doing really good, bringing back fans in droves.

Nostalgia can be a terrible burden to carry

Comet

Can someone give me the run down of the problems on MCC? I just got an Xbone and have been playing the MCC online with friends and by myself for a few weeks and am not seeing much issues here that I don't experience in other console multiplayer games. The main bug I see is that annoying "signed out" pop up you get when you go back to the game after powering off the console with MCC running. Annoying, but simple to work around.

Top Bottom