• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K update for Halo 5 with the release of Xbox One X & (some) Halo games going BC

mcrommert

Banned
Can someone give me the run down of the problems on MCC? I just got an Xbone and have been playing the MCC online with friends and by myself for a few weeks and am not seeing much issues here that I don't experience in other console multiplayer games. The main bug I see is that annoying "signed out" pop up you get when you go back to the game after powering off the console with MCC running. Annoying, but simple to work around.

Its gotten better...seemingly recently

My biggest issue has been if you add more than one person locally and then try to matchmake...matchmaking is exponentially more unstable and takes much much longer

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Can someone give me the run down of the problems on MCC? I just got an Xbone and have been playing the MCC online with friends and by myself for a few weeks and am not seeing much issues here that I don't experience in other console multiplayer games. The main bug I see is that annoying "signed out" pop up you get when you go back to the game after powering off the console with MCC running. Annoying, but simple to work around.

Don't pause while playing the Halo 4 campaign if you like audio.

blakep267

Titanfall 2, Titanfall, Unreal tournament - just to name some. I'd be happier if the DLC maps weren't complete shit and I don't count req packs as content.
Titanfall 2 has garbage post launch support. They have released a few maps in 9 months since launch and they are mainly remakes of T1 maps. The prime Titans are locked behind a paywall

Titanfall 1 released its first PAID map pack 3 months after launch when the community was already dead.

Halo has monthly support with new maps, weapons and cosmetics and modes. Nothing touches it

wwm0nkey

Titanfall 2 has garbage post launch support. They have released a few maps in 9 months since launch and they are mainly remakes of T1 maps. The prime Titans are locked behind a paywall

Titanfall 1 released its first PAID map pack 3 months after launch when the community was already dead.

Halo has monthly support with new maps, weapons and cosmetics and modes. Nothing touches it

The monthly updates stopped a bit back

Can put me on ignore. I'll be an old man waiting for halos return of need be.

He doesn't get a free pass, just like any other dev. He has continually ignored fans of old and the gameplay issues we have with thier direction.

Holy fucking shit, lol!

"You devs don't get free passes, I will hound you till my dying days for you to make the game I want!"

Fucking hell, dude.....

Hubble

This is all great but confusing. If I play Halo 3 BC, does it link to MCC Halo 3 multiplayer or is separate? If the latter, just going to split player bases for the same game lol.

blakep267

Holy fucking shit, lol!

"You devs don't get free passes, I will hound you till my dying days for you to make the game I want!"

Fucking hell, dude.....
It's kind of puzzling to me tbh. Bought MCC digitally. Was broken. Got a refund and I moved on. It's coming up on 3 years. Get over it

Halo 5 is a different direction for the gameplay. I mean that's the future. Once again, get over it

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Such a wasted announcement opportunity.

This announcement timing makes it seem like Halo sees themselves as more third party than MS exclusive.

MS exclusives should announce things with MS to help push the hardware.

Synth

Holy fucking shit, lol!

Fucking hell, dude.....

Of course if he got his way at the expense of the current fans... I'm sure he'd be cool with 343i ignoring them instead.

Bsigg12

This announcement timing makes it seem like Halo sees themselves as more third party than MS exclusive.

It's an update to what will be a 2 year old game once the Xbox One X is released and some BC games. There doesn't need to be much fanfare behind it.

EBE

Please be more than just resolution. halo 5 is probably the ugliest first party AAA game in... Ever? At least of this generation.

I want a lighting overhaul, LOD improvements, draw distance...

Comet

Its gotten better...seemingly recently

My biggest issue has been if you add more than one person locally and then try to matchmake...matchmaking is exponentially more unstable and takes much much longer
Got it, I wouldn't know about this I only do matchmaking with one guest at most and we find matches just as quickly and more reliably than Halo 3 in its prime.

Don't pause while playing the Halo 4 campaign if you like audio.
Yikes, I'll keep that in mind.

Titanfall 2, Titanfall, Unreal tournament - just to name some. I'd be happier if the DLC maps weren't complete shit and I don't count req packs as content.
I think that for the most part the dlc maps for halo 5 have been really good. Also I don't see how you can say req items don't count. They have added a ton of weapons and vehicles to warzone all for free.

Leyasu

Banned

Hopefully it was because they want to do more than a 4k update. I think that they didn't want to say anything until they was sure that they could do what they wanted... I'm hoping that that is the case anyway.

Bsigg12

It's one of the most successful games on the platform, though.

Sure, but how many people will be playing Halo 5 this November vs Destiny 2, CoD WWII, Battlefront 2, etc.

I'm curious if they'll be releasing a texture pack download for the Xbox One X to bump the texture quality up or if it will just be a resolution boost to 4K.

That requires you counting on people to play the game they constantly bitch about.

I think that for the most part the dlc maps for halo 5 have been really good. Also I don't see how you can say req items don't count. They have added a ton of weapons and vehicles to warzone all for free.

Warzone is like a Halo fan's fantasy toybox come true. It's insane the stuff they've put in there. A faithful working Halo CE magnum, Halo 2 BR, Anti-Air Wraiths, Brute Plasma Rifles, the Pro Pipe, the ODST silenced weapons. A lot of them have made their way into the Arena modes as weapon pickups on maps too. I never would have imagined a Halo game doing any of that stuff under Bungie.

This is all great but confusing. If I play Halo 3 BC, does it link to MCC Halo 3 multiplayer or is separate? If the latter, just going to split player bases for the same game lol.

It's not the same game Halo 3 has its own community, playlists and ranking system. And that's what you will connect to while playing it BC. They are giving us choice which is what everyone in Gaf is always begging for

Hubble

Sifting through the thread and agree with a lot of people here.

343 really need to give Halo a break. They've damaged the franchise more than help it. People are literally not excited for anything Halo new anymore when the series was met with fervor before.

Gamers want to be gamers. 343 has literally ignored their core Halo fanbase to chase a new COD-like crowd, and it has created huge resentment. Most people I'm sorry just don't recognize Halo anymore and silently moved on.

Please leave the Halo franchise alone in the future (it's just decreasing the Halo brand). Make a new IP or make a classic Halo.

Hey Stinkles, how far-fetched is the concept of Halo 5 and MCC getting ported to PC?

Not port-begging, but I got my hopes up a bit when forge was released for PC.

I don't have an Xbone, and would love to continue my Halo fanatism :(

343 really need to give Halo a break. They've damaged the franchise more than help it. People are literally not excited for anything Halo new anymore when the series was met with fervor before.

Gamers want to be gamers. 343 has literally ignored their core Halo fanbase to chase a new COD-like crowd, and it has created huge resentment. Most people I'm sorry just don't recognize Halo anymore and silently moved on.

Please leave the Halo franchise alone in the future (it's just decreasing the Halo brand). Make a new IP or make a classic Halo.

This is a parody of a post I don't know about, right?

And after sitting through this thread the only thing that's jumped out at me is the sheer self entitlement on display from a few posters. It's really embarrassing :(

Is true 4K native 4K or another buzzword?

I want Native 4K/60.
Perceptual 4K.

Really though, I'm really looking forward to this. Jaggies and lack of anisotropic filtering really hurt the beautiful assets that Halo uses. Can't wait for the XBOX, I sold my One many months ago and I miss this friggin game so much.

Warzone Firefight will probably look spectacular with the already present huge levels and chaos, but with tons of added image quality.

This whole post is so foreign to everything I feel and observe about Halo today. Take your time with Halo 6, 343. Halo 5 is insanely good, and will do me just nicely until you're ready.

Alexious

New users and returning users. It's also 4K for MP which still has healthy populations and will bump in November too. You can get a sense of the fidelity by looking at the PC Forge/MP package on a high end PC and without committing to anything I will note that BC legacy titles and the "fate" of MCC are not connected at the hip as some have perhaps reasonably, but in this specific case, mistakenly inferred. That may be cold comfort with no information to share at this time, but they are not an either or situation.

Will it be native 4K even on multiplayer?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

giphy.webp

It is so odd to me how people want halo to be stuck in 2004 for ever. Devs have to change things. If they just released the same game over and over people would get bored and move on. I really hope that 343 switches things up from halo 5's mp even though I love it. If I want mp like halo 2 I can just go back and play Halo 2.

Opinions everyone's got them

xabbott

Halo 5 MP is nothing like COD though. As for giving Halo a break. I'm on board for that just because new stuff is exciting. I do not want them to try for "classic" Halo. I feel like them catering to that audience is one of the problems the franchise has. I feel the same way about Gears.

What about True 4K bothers you? Don't you like knowing if a game is native or not?

Ms is using true 4k for checkerboard and Native as well, both pro and X use the exactly same techniques, true 4k doesn't mean "Native" as many game are and will be checkerboard on X as well, like digital Foundry has stated......4k is 4k, there is not multiple definitions...also it doesn;t bother me, I find it funny, sorry my post bothers you though, not allowed to find something funny apparently/ True 4k is a meaningless statement as it is no "Truer" then any other 4k lol.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
What about True 4K bothers you? Don't you like knowing if a game is native or not?

True 4K does not mean native 4K according to MS. It means any form of upscale, including checkerboarding.

...or am I thinking of Ultra 4K? I actually don't remember and can't find the page on Xbox.com that defines all these terms.

LOL MS with the "True 4k" nonsense. Cannot help but laugh.

Be nice to play these eventually, I have not played a halo since 3.

This sentiment confuses me as I don't recall Microsoft equating "True 4K" with "Native 4K". I've just always accepted it as a nice way to say "Xbox One S is "fake" 4K" due to the way it upscales games.

Getting back on topic, I'll be curious to see which method Halo 5 employees be it native or checkerboard. At the very least I'll be happy with it being 1080p on the TV I have!

True 4K does not mean native 4K according to MS. It means any form of upscale including checkerboarding.

...or am I thinking of Ultra 4K? I actually don't remember and can't find the page on Xbox.com that defines all these terms.

This, people always fall for MS PR though so not surprising.

Guess Who

Banned
True 4K does not mean native 4K according to MS. It means any form of upscale including checkerboarding.

Checkerboarding isn’t upscaling.

Hubble

It's not the same game Halo 3 has its own community, playlists and ranking system. And that's what you will connect to while playing it BC. They are giving us choice which is what everyone in Gaf is always begging for

Everyone in GAF begging for? I don't know if I've seen much clamoring for Halo 3 and MCC multiplayer to be apart. It's the same game. I do understand many want BC and I agree with that and here.

Again, I'm not opposed but wow, as someone who preordered MCC digitally, I feel really salty right now. MCC multiplayer pretty much went to waste? My MCC purchase went down the drain? It looks like I and many, even if it's a conservative half, or more who would prefer to play this on BC, while many casuals are playing the newer MCC thinking it's the 'remastered' better version is hugely splitting the MCC base. So people playing Halo 3 on MCC will not connect to Halo 3 BC? This is really problematic. They should link the player populations. But not surprised, 343 sigh, never really seem to have a clue. The poor Halo 5 maps are an example, and in arena.. Watching Halo 5 competitive and they are still playing the same maps from launch lol.

Top Bottom